Nextlabs Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2014
Updated May 12, 2014

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nextlabs in May 2014.

The company seemed very unprofessional. Interviews had to be rescheduled multiple times, and I had to contact them because they offer no feedback whatsoever. They wanted to schedule an additional phone interview with a manager, but gave no confirmation e-mail at all and only set a verbal agreement to a date next week. After no call came I decided that this company was too amateur to even bother with trying to reschedule.

Interview Questions
    • The phone screen was just a short interview about your skills (programming languages, classes, etc.)   Answer Question

Human Resource Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nextlabs in February 2014.

Applied on Craigslist, received a phone call in about one week, scheduled in-person interview in about another week. No response until check with the company another week of in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Just general HR questions since this is not a technical job. Like "walk me through your resume", "what is your weakness and strength", "salary expectation", most of the time it was the interviewee who needed to explain and talk about personal experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Nextlabs in November 2013.

6-7 Rounds of Interview in 2 Month. Every time they Says " We are Very Very interested ", " Where are you on your other offers", " We are very very very interested " Not professional, Meeting with CEO schedule at 10 on holiday and CEO came at 10:30 No one there to open door. 4 Face to Face, 2 Skype, 1 CEO interview. Every one asking question apart from subject. and start explain why I should join Nextlabs for 2 hrs.

Interview Questions
    • Some technical question are very good by John, Other then that. 6 people ask me almost same thing.
      1) what are you doing in you current project.
      2) Why you want to join Nextlabs

Director, Systems Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nextlabs in June 2013.

A sourcer spoke to me on the phone after I had applied online. I was then invited to the offices to talk to the HR manager, the hiring manager and another director. The questions were simple and not complicated. Spent an entire afternoon at the offices talking to the these folks. They were going to invite me to a round of role playing interviews.

2 weeks later, I get a call from the sourcer stating they would consider me for senior systems engineer position. I declined. I thought I owed a call from the HR manager ( who spoke to me for an hour ) to make this position and explain why so.

Unclear to me why I was even called for the interviews if the role is well below what I have already accomplished.

Engineering Team Lead/Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nextlabs in May 2013.

Interview arranged through a recruiter, who did only a basic screening. Then I went to an on-site and spoke with Engineering management. The process focused more on cultural and team fit than technical knowledge. It is possible I was one of the earlier candidates, so they were "calibrating" their process. It was perfectly polite and cordial, just a difficult format to shine in and I did not get a follow on interview. Perhaps the lesson here is to have the recruiter learn more about the position before there are on site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions about why I left each position going back over 15 years. Hard to give a career progression story when viewed that way.   Answer Question

SAP Senior Consulting Engineer Opening Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nextlabs in August 2012.

not professional not organized. Months between 2-3 face to face interviews. Bargaining of salary below normal. Owner takes final interview and decision. Per HR.

Interview Questions
    • Not as per the position. Hiring manager did not know what he will look in a person for the said post.. After 2nd interview HR asked me to come F2F for missed question.
       how to deal client when you do not know the answer to that question. how do you fill a table with your entries.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nextlabs in April 2012.

1)phone call with HR recruiter
    2)4 skill test through skype online programming with unknown person
    A.sorting could be bubble sort , selection sort , dont remember which one
    B.String Palindrome
    C.searching number of certain words in a text
    D.related to cache or paging from block of memory

Interview Questions
    • expect to complete in 1~1.5 hr, the interviewer was nice when they give question online, but it is obviously not technical, they normally give you reply after 1 week discussion in house decide if you will be invite onsite. i didnt go further with them because the pay wasnt that good after doing some reach online   Answer Question

Java Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nextlabs in January 2012.

The recruiter contacted me, and said that their company doesn't pay for relocation costs, asked whether I want to process the interview or not, and after that, we scheduled the first interview, it was a online coding interview, you need to provide the skype account, and do the video call with them. The recruiter will pass the questions to you on skype, and you need to code it in front of them. (I think they just want to make sure that it's you, the people who write the code). The interview took around 1.5 hrs. There have 5 coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Implement the following function:

int findMax(int[] items)
        View Answer
    • 2. Implement the following interface to implement a binary search tree in Java

public interface BinaryTree<T extends Comparable<? super T>>
          public void insert(T data);
          public T findMin();
          public boolean contains(T data);
          public void remove(T data);
      }

2.1. (optional) What does T extends Comparable< super T>> mean?
      Ans: It means that T has to be of type Comparable, which can avoid redundantly specifying type parameters
        View Answer
    • 3. Trees (binary and otherwise) form the basis of many common data structures.
      Please describe some of these data structures and when they might be used.
        View Answers (2)
    • 4. Implement a basic Thread Pool in Java. When it’s completed, discuss the trade offs of your implementation. If you had unlimited time, discuss what improvements you would make to it and how these improvements would help developers that used your thread pool.   Answer Question
    • 5. The user of this class expected the output “Num: 1000000”. They got something else. What went wrong and how would you fix it?

public class Test
          public final static int NUMTHREADS = 1000;
          public final static int NUMLOOP = 1000;
          public static int num = 0;

static class Mythread extends Thread
              @Override
              public void run()
              {
                  for (int i = 0; i < NUMLOOP; i++)
                      ++num;
          }

public static void main(String argv[])
              Mythread threads[] = new Mythread[NUMTHREADS];
              for (int i = 0; i < NUMTHREADS; ++i)
                  threads[i] = new Mythread();
                  threads[i].start();

try
              {
                  for (int i = 0; i < NUMTHREADS; ++i)
                      threads[i].join();
              catch (InterruptedException e)
              System.out.println("Num: " + num);
        View Answers (2)

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nextlabs in December 2011.

To be very honest, this company is looking for hiring extremely cheap workers. Those who are going to have an interview with them, please tell them explicitly what you would like to be get paid. The interview process is average. The CEO needs to learn how to manage things.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nextlabs in May 2009.

The interview was from 10 to about 4 in the evening. It consisted of technical, analytical, management and aptitude test. It was a good interview that covered all aspects.

Interview Questions
    • How do you calculate GCD?   Answer Question
    • Sorting algorithms
      There is a cake which has been cut unevenly. YOu now have the left over cake and have to cut it into 2 equal parts. How do you do it/
        Answer Question

Got a better pay from another company