NiSource

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at NiSource in June 2014.

Interview Details – I have nicknamed them NoSource. Had a phone screen with HR. Basic questions, but was also asked what questions I had about the company. Heard back next day and was offered an on-site interview. It was a group interview with hiring manager, senior manager, and HR contact. Questions were pretty basic and followed STAR format. Then had interview with director and HR contact stayed. After interview, followed up with HR contact several times to check on status. Was given very vague responses, but was never told I was no longer in consideration. Notified them I had another offer on the table and got dead air...

Interview Question – Describe a time when you were met with change. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Plant Engineer Interview

Plant Engineer
Merrillville, IN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at NiSource in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was an internal candidate for the Plant Engineer position at one of the NiSource (NIPSCO) coal fired power plants. The plant managers gave me a 90 minute interview. My qualifications were excellent. The interview seemed to go well. But the position they offered me was a lateral move, and they wanted me to take a cut in annual bonus from 7% to 3.5%. And they guaranteed there would be zero raises for 3 years, even though I was coming in at mid-range for the position. Not only that, they sent me down the hall to interview for an entry QC position in which I had no interest, nor had I applied for that slot. Weird company to work for.

Interview Question – The interview was entirely situational questions. Even though I answered each question very thoroughly, they hit me again with another question so similar to the previous, even the folks asking were chuckling at their own questions. "Tell us about a time when you encountered conflict in your job."   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The position they offered was a lateral with the same corporation, but different companies. They demanded I take a cut in annual bonus from 7% to 3.5%. They GUARANTEED zero raises for 3 years, even though I was coming in at mid-range for the position.

Field Engineer Interview

Field Engineer
Richmond, VA

I applied online and interviewed at NiSource.

Interview Details – Straightfoward

Interview Question – What did I do to prepare for the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not so great. No window of time to think about the offer. Its either you take it or not take it within a matter of minutes. Np relocation package - that was a bummer!

Attorney Interview

Attorney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at NiSource in December 2009.

Interview Details – The company used a placement firm and took several rounds with the outside recruiter. When I finally was to meet with the hiring employee they were late for the interview (and did not apologize). It was obvious from the start that they were not interested in me and likely had already decided on who they would hire before they got there.

Interview Question – The questions were all rather shallow. The only difficult question was how a background in technology was relevant to the gas industry.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at NiSource in April 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted by the department leader. I had two interviews, one with the department leader and another employee, the second was with three employees in the department I would be working in. STAR questions are used. Contacted a couple weeks later for a drug screening and then an offer of employment.

Interview Question – I was asked questions as to whether I could find information and research records.   View Answer

Damage Prevention Screener Interview

Damage Prevention Screener
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at NiSource in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the position thru the Nisource.com Website and got a call back a week later. I interviewed during the week and the manager of the department was looking to fill the position immediately. The company goes by the Star Interview format and they ask cultural questions on top of behavioral questions. Once i answered all the questions I asked about 8 questions and then the interview was over. I received a call a week later and was offered the position!

Interview Question – Can you recall a time when a person's cultural background affected your approach to a work situation?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. annual rate was straight forward!

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at NiSource.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews with 8-10 people including one senior executive.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Great first offer. Negotiated additional vacation and signing bonus.

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Columbus, OH

The process took a day - interviewed at NiSource in March 2012.

Interview Details – HR was courteous enough to convince the hiring manager to give me an interview outside of his interview schedule as I was going to be in town that same week. Panel was very cordial and interview was structured, beginning with behavioral questions then technical questions pertaining to the position being interviewed for.

Interview Question – What is a balance sheet, income statement and statement of cash flows   Answer Question

Customer Programs Manager Interview

Customer Programs Manager
Columbus, OH

The process took 4 months - interviewed at NiSource in February 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position in December 2010. It was with Columbia Gas, Gas Distribution Operations. I was contacted in mid February to come in for an interview after a brief phone interview with a HR representative. I was given a time, date and location and map for parking but no names or titles of whom I would meet with. When I arrived the receptionist knew who I was and made me feel very welcome when giving me my visitor pass. She told me there was an onsite gym that employees can join for $5 a month. She told me where the ladies room was and where to sit when I would wait for the HR contact to get me in a few minutes. That was very nice.

About fifteen minutes later, the HR contact came down in jeans as it was Friday. Everyone else was very business-oriented and dressed professionally. I was taken into a conference room where three people were waiting, a HR person, an IT person and the Director of Customer Programs, who would be the boss. They were all very nice and very formal. The HR person led the interview explaining this would be a "STAR" series of questions and answers and then other questions and then I could ask questions. It would be behavioral question format. The questions were intense and very focused. This was a new position and they were looking for specific things. The job description itself was four pages long.

They all seemed pleased for the most part with my answers. It was very corporate and structured. They said they wanted change brought in but you have to wonder. Oftentimes the person leading it is killed.

It definitely would be a great job but I am not sure it is a fit. They are interviewing and said they most likely would not start the person til April 1. Who can wait that long to start a job in this economy. They said they would let me know.

Interview Question – Describe a time you succesfully built a partnership and involved your team members in the process.   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Merrillville, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at NiSource in June 2010.

Interview Details – Screening interview by phone with recruiter, about 30 minutes. Kept in touch with me by email for next several weeks until scheduling face-to-face interview. Then interviewed by 2 people for about 1 hour. Behavioral interviewing - asking me to give examples of when I exhibited various behaviors. Everyone was very pleasant. Let me know of their decision within 2 weeks of interview.

Interview Question – Give an example of when you had to deal with conflict, how you handled it, and the outcome.   Answer Question

Worked for NiSource? Contribute to the Community!