Nielsen Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

30 min phone interview with HR. I was asked to take test online. 2 days after I took the test, they moved me to next telephone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview lasted 1 hour and all the questions were about regression and SAS. Then I got invited to 6 hour onsite interview. Talked to 5 directors. All the questions were about modeling in SAS. No behavioral questions. I completely enjoyed the interview. I am still waiting to hear from them.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about modeling in SAS. what are the advantages or disadvantages of using proc sql over data step to merge two data sets? Asked me to explain my projects I listed on my resume.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Wilton, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

First was HR contacted me and I had a brief HR screening interview. After the interview I was told that I would need to take an online assessment. The online assessment was basic math questions, personality questions and a few profit/loss questions. After the test, received feedback and was scheduled to speak to one of the managers. Interview was a mix of market sizing questions, marketing concept questions and behavioral questions. Final round was an onsite interview with one manager and two vp's. For the most part of it was a conversation.

Interview Questions

• How many slices of Pizza are eaten in your school every year? What factors affect forecasted sales volume. Tell me about a time you worked on an analytical project. Various promotional strategies. What factors should you consider when launching a new product? One cake brainteaser questions that's been repeated.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very flexible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Atlanta, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online through the company website. Got an email to set up a phone screen with HR. Quick 30 min. HR screen that is standard among most companies. Discussed responsibilities of the position, client you'd be working with and your qualifications. This led to an online analytical assessment. Not very difficult, similar to quantitative GMAT questions. Called an email a few days later to set up phone interview with the hiring manager. Discussed role and resume/experience more in depth. A few days later got an email from HR about setting up a date to fly out to meet with the team (I was applying from out of state). Met with client director, SVP, client manager and associate client manager. All interviews were conversational, no unexpected questions. It was a very comfortable, laid back interview which I extremely enjoyed.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

3.5 hours total. Lunch from 12-1pm where you speak to an employee and can ask questions/have a general conversation. 1-2:30, speak to 3 different people for 30 minutes each where they ask you basic behavioral and market sizing questions. Lunch was great and really helpful, helped me relax. Talking to the three different interviewers were fairly easy but the market sizing questions, I was not prepared for.

Interview Questions

• How many miles are run on a treadmill on a day in February?   Answer Question
    • How many students ride the campus bus in a day? Assuming student population of 25,000   Answer Question
    • If you had a client with a premium product on the shelf at a retailer store that was not being successful, how would you convince the retailer owner to keep the product on the shelf?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nielsen in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through career services and had an interview on campus. Interview lasted 45 minutes with one person, be prepared with a lot of questions because she gave me a good 10 minutes to ask questions!!

Interview Questions

• Normal interview questions in the beginning, why I wanted to work there, and 3 case questions. The case questions were 1) M&M's has released a premium m&m product at a high price, but has seen slow sales. What would you tell your retailers in order for them to let you keep the product in stores? 2) On average, how would you go about figuring out how many student ride the campus bus in a given week. 3) Coke is thinking about releasing a craft beer in the market. What kind of data/statistics/research should they do before releasing it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied directly through the Nielsen website. Got an email requesting a phone call a couple weeks later. Scheduled that interview very quickly, within a few days. Pretty standard questions on that phone call. Past work experience, why Nielsen, why this positions, salary requests, etc. After that, they moved pretty quickly to having me take the online behavioral and analytical assessment. The behavioral are your normal "strongly disagree/strongly agree with this statement" questions. The analytical section runs through problems in the format of "Judy arrived to lunch at 12:00 PM. Alan arrived after Judy but before Tricia. Tricia arrived at 1:00 PM. Could Alan have arrived after Tricia?". You'll get 3 minutes for each question. Having successfully passed those tests, I was asked to come in the following week to meet with three VPs. Mostly conversational interviews, but be ready for their curveball questions. Each interviewer will have one. Know how to answer questions like "How many manhole covers are there in Manhattan?".

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

The process took a while. After my initial application, I was contacted by a recruiter in HR a day later to set up a phone interview for later that week. I gave her times I was available, but never heard back from her. She then called me on a Thursday night and asked if I was free to talk then. I wasn't and I asked her if we could do it the next day. I then had a 10 minute phone "interview" (if you can even call it that) with the HR person. At the end of that, she told me that I would have to complete an assessment test. The assessment test took about an hour and consisted of many behavioral questions and 10 logic/math questions. The behavioral questions are meant to trick you into contradicting yourself if you aren't being honest. The logic questions weren't too hard. The one question I remember is there are 8 seats at a round table and they give you a bunch of different parameters (John won't sit next to Fred or in the bottom seat). It then asks you where everyone is sitting. After completion of the assessment test, I emailed the HR person and she set up a 1 on 1 interview with the Hiring manager. Setting up the time for this interview was difficult. The HR person was non responsive and incompetent. I specifically said I was available in the afternoon and she set up a 9 am interview for me. The interview was fairly straight forward. She asked me about a time when I was analytical. After that interview, I was set up to meet with an associate client director. I had a phone interview with that person a week later. Again, that was a fairly straight forward interview. After that interview, I didn't hear from anyone for a month. Finally they got back to me, after a couple of emails asking to follow up, and asked to schedule a phone call with the hiring manager I met in person. The phone call lasted less than a minute and I was told they were offering the position to someone else... with more experience. Overall everyone was nice and the interviews weren't too bad. The part that was bad was the communication... or lack there of. The only reason I am giving this a negative review is because They left me hanging for too long.

Interview Questions

• Who would you market Coke, Diet Coke, and Coke Zero to?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First interview with Hr, about 20 minutes Test/assessment, about 45 minutes Second interview with a senior manager, about 1 hour Third interview on site with 3 people, each 45 minutes, back to back

Interview Questions

• How do you control for variables?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nielsen in October 2014.

Interview

Typically, phone interview, then next steps would be to complete an online assessment. Afterwards, if deemed a potential candidate, brought in for face-to-face interviews. Key to success for this role, are to have excellent knowledge of excel and statistical models for solving problems. Basic understanding of regression is useful.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation, when you used regression analysis to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Nielsen in October 2014.

Interview

University recruitment Applied through career site and heard back in a couple of weeks. Had to do a difficult logic test (most of the difficulty stemmed from time constraints) After completing the test, i was asked to schedule and interview. The interview had some behavioral questions and some mini case questions. Also asked specifics about my coursework, including what i learned in various courses from previous years.

Interview Questions

• Youre pepsi and you want to be sold in whole foods. What do you do to make this happen? How do you sell yourself to whole foods?   Answer Question