Nielsen Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Covington, KY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Nielsen (Covington, KY) in November 2011.

Interview

Had a first round interview on campus with the recruiter. Mostly behavioral questions and a relaxed environment. I then had to take a short test. I believe it was 10 quantitative questions and 2 case questions. I went on to a second round interview in Covington, KY. I met first with a recently hired analyst and then had three back-to-back interviews with upper management, each one lasting 45 minutes. All the questions were behavioral. All in all it was not a bad interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were criticized for your performance. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you worked in a group setting and did not see eye to eye with one of your teammates.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Anonymous Employee in Covington, KY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Nielsen (Covington, KY) in October 2011.

Interview

The onsite interview process consists of a breakfast with an analyst (generally someone that has only worked there for about 3 months), 3 back to back 1:1 interviews and a Q&A session that includes a panel of analysts. The breakfast was informational and not used to evaluate candidates. It was an opportunity to learn more about the company and what it is like to start out as an analyst there. The 3 interviews consisted of behavioral questions. Some people received case questions and hypothetical marketing situations, but it was mostly behavioral. The Q&A session started with analysts discussing what they do and the variety of opportunities available for professional development at Nielsen. This was a very relaxed environment. Overall, the breakfast was a great opportunity to learn what to emphasize in your interview. The 3 interviews were not intimidating, and the interviewers were really interested in knowing what questions the candidate had. The total process really allowed the opportunity to get a sense of the office and company culture.

Interview Questions

• Amazon comes to you to market Kindle to college students. How would you go about evaluating this decision and how would you market it?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you had an idea and no one else agreed with you. How did you solve the disagreement?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Battle Creek, MI

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Battle Creek, MI) in August 2011.

Interview

Regular phone interview. Than a test they have you take on site, hour and a half mostly all math and statistic questions in the form of word problems. Than if you did well enough on the test you will get called in for an in person interview. Standard behavioral questions. Also they ask a lot of questions on what you know about Nielsen and specifically the are of the business your applying. In my case it was with Kellogg and the work they were doing with them.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about estimating all of the windows in the city of New York.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH) in July 2011.

Interview

First, there is a typical phone interview where they ask simple background questions. If they are interested, you will complete an analytical test with problem-solving math questions and a case study question about marketing. If you make it to the final round, you will have a day of three interviews with various managers/directors where you will talk more about your background, answer technical questions if they apply to the position you are applying for, and personal questions about you as an individual.

Interview Questions

• Mathematical problem-solving questions dealing with proportions. Think about tree diagrams.   Answer Question
    • Case-study questions for a company with a marketing issue and how to solve it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Atlanta, GA) in July 2011.

Interview

I was contacted within a month of receiving the online application for a screening interview, followed within a week by a quantitative assessment, and another week for an in-person interview. Overall, the process was very smooth and well-managed. The quantitative assessment, if you've done your research and know what to expect, is very easy, and everyone I encountered was super friendly and very easy to talk to! Be sure to know exactly where you lie as far as what skills are expected of you. I don't think they necessarily need a superstar, but someone who knows what skills they may need to pick up on the job.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a quantitative question after I said my Excel skills were above average. That was a mistake.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nielsen (Stamford, CT) in May 2011.

Interview

Phone interview then in person interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH) in March 2011.

Interview

The Nielsen Company has an extremely competitive and demanding interview process. In my experience it had four components: 1) Preliminary Phone Screen 2) Math Skills/ Business Acumen Written Exam 3) 3 1:1 Interviews 4) 3 more 1:1 Interviews Preliminary Phone Screen - in this segment, I was introduced to my recruiter. She was extremely nice and helpful throughout the process. The screen consisted of general questions regarding my education, my background, some brief leadership questions, and my knowledge of the company. It was relatively easy. Written Exam - This exam was EXTREMELY hard. I took it on site, was given a calculator and scrap paper and roughly 2 hours. The questions are similar to GMAT questions but each question consists of at least 3 or 4 parts. They are difficult but if you don't panic and try to reason through the questions you can solve them. Make sure you are strong with WEIGHTED AVERAGES questions, as well as basic algebra, and MGMT ACCOUNTING questions involving Break Even Points, Fixed Costs and Variable Costs etc. But especially weighted averages. The second part of the exam are written case study questions. You need a fundamental understanding of how to approach case studies to excel here. I strongly recommend Cosentino's Case In Point book to acquire the skills necessary for case studies. 1:1 Interviews - The interviews were all extremely pleasant, and I could tell that I would enjoy working with my colleagues. The questions were behavioral ("leadership", "time you failed", "time you disagreed with a colleague," etc.). I also had a case study on each interview so roughly 6 case studies. They were mainly New Product Development cases, Industry Analysis Cases, Growth Strategy Cases, some Market sizing and some simple Random Questions ("How many quarters will it take to get to the top of the empire state building?") The case studies were interesting and fun to discuss. After my second round of interviews I received a phone call and a verbal offer. I was ecstatic! This is a great company to work for!!!!!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you failed, and what did you learn from it?   1 Answer
    • Your company wants to increase the price of the product, but wants to maintain market share. What would you recommend?   1 Answer

Negotiation

the offer was fair considering my education and my background and I accepted immediately. Was roughly middle of the range for my position.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH) in January 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by email a recruiter a few weeks after applying for a positon online asking to set up a phone interview. The interview was a little over a week later, and only lasted about 10 minutes, with just basic phone screen questions. I then went into the office to take the analytical assessment a few days later. The test wasn't too bad - just basic GMAT types of questions and I'm pretty sure half of them have been posted online already. Still waiting to hear whether I will be called in for a round of on-site interviews.

Interview Questions

• Which section of Nielsen would you like to work for?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in October 2010.

Interview

Analytical questions in interview- how would you go about figuring out how many airplanes fly out of an airport on a given day?

Interview Questions

• How would you go about figuring out how many airplanes fly out of an airport on a given day?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Nielsen (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

Applied approx. 1-2 weeks after the position posted. Got an invitation to phone interview after 1 week. Standard interview questions.