Nielsen Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in June 2009.

I applied to an analyst position on Nielsen's website and a few weeks later, HR reached out to me for a phone screen. The questions were basic - walk me through your resume, tell me why you're interested in Nielsen, are you able to relocate, etc.

From there, I went to the Nielsen office in New York to interview for the position with 4 different team members (2 senior managers, director, VP) - traditional interview style. Questions were mostly behavioral ("tell me about a time when you lead a team to success"), with a few mechanics questions thrown in ("if I'm growing revenue but losing market share, what is a possible explanation for that result?"). All interviewees, no matter what the level of position is, are also required to take a 90-minute analytical assessment. This test consists of 10 word problems and 2 case studies. In order to be considered for any client service job at Nielsen, you must pass the assessment.

The final portion of the interview process is one that I know does not apply to all client service jobs - an interview with the client. I know that my client had requested to approve all new hires, but many of my colleagues never had to go through this step, so it is definitely on a case-by-case basis. In my case, the client interview was extremely basic - basically they just wanted to make sure I was a good fit for the position.

Interview Questions
  • In your opinion, what is the most important performance indicator for a company: growing revenue, growing market share, or improving margins?   View Answer
The analyst salary is pretty standardized across the board, so when I was unable to get much higher than what was initially offered, I negotiated for Nielsen to pay for relocation services. Your chance of success with negotiation is dependent on how badly the individual client team needs to fill that position - in my case, they needed someone relatively quickly, so I could tell they wanted me (hence the relocation expenses), but if I pushed too hard they may have gone back to the talent pool.

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in October 2008.

The phone interview took 45 minutes with the HR representative who asked very detailed questions about the skills and position -it resembled a one to one interview with hiring manager. Then they scheduled a skills test at the Stamford, CT office that basically required algebra, statistics and marketing skills and it totally required to study a bit. From personal and experience I noticed people there are very "clicky" and it seemed to be a difficult environment to feel comfortable at -from the receptionist that was totally incompetent to the bureaucracy of management about which school you come from and what your major is while disregarding knowledge, potential and eagerness to learn. I would not apply for a job there again.

Interview Questions
    • If your are given a project about a good that is not doing well in the market, which factors would you look at to understand why is that and to be able to give suggestion to a client?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen.

First round interview was from on campus recruiting. After submitting my application, I was asked to take an analytic assessment + business essay. The test consisted of 10 business math questions involving profit and stats. I was told a week later that I had an in person interview. This test is now online instead of in person. You never get your score and HR keeps it under wraps. I've heard that it's a strong predictor of performance at Nielsen once you actually get here, but that's heresay...

There was one 1-1 45 minute interview where a few behavioral and marketing/analytical questions were asked. Basic walk me through your resume. Lots of tell me a time when you were challenged, tell me about your weaknesses. Had a question about market share.

Second round interview was at a Nielsen office, three 1-1 interviews that were 45 min long with Director-VP level persons. Again lots of behavioral questions, what was your proudest accomplishment, when were you most challenged, etc. A few analytical questions like a company is considering changing price, what should they consider. Someone is launching a new product, what should they watch out for.

Interview Questions
    • There's a case study question now that asks you to analyze results about a regression analysis.   Answer Question
    I tried, no room for negotiation. I was offered the average market based on my research so with no previous work experience, I had no leverage.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calcutta (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Calcutta (India)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nielsen in March 2014.

apti was easy,consisted of easy maths,english and case study.concentrate on maths.no logical reasoning.,but maybe they will change pattern next year..8 people were shortlsted out of 35.
    The next was a technical interview process was long..u have to express ur ideas clearly.
    if selected there was an HR round
    again another technical.

Interview Questions
    • the quesns on stats were not difficult..the main thing is u need to convince ur interviewer..understand what he/she wants as an ans.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

The hiring and interview process wasn't very difficult, it was the standard online application followed by a phone interview with the HR and a manager. After came an ability test that was emailed, if you passed that they would ask to come in for an in-house numerical exam. After this numerical exam was a group interview.

Interview Questions
    • Not very difficult questions, just be well prepared and you'll do fine.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in February 2014.

Met an HR rep at a university fair, email contact and filled out an online assesment, followed by an in person HR interview with typical HR questions (strengths, experience, education) and manager interview more related to the role.

Interview Questions
    • Straight forward, typical interview questions (strengths, experience, education) and some logic questions (similar to GMAT) - practice logic tests can be found online   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nielsen.

I applied online, received an interview with HR, followed by a quantitative test. The quant test was fairly easy to complete. I got called back for in-person interview with 2 managers, with case studies to complete. It was a very efficient interview process. Questions were not out of the ordinary.

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nielsen.

they said there would be a test (some calculation) and a group interview for the first round interview. But after i finished my test, they just sent us go without looking at the test, saying they will notify us on further interview, based on the test result.

Interview Questions
    • No group interview, though they said there were. I assumed they have decided when I was doing the test.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Nielsen.

A written exam (very straightforward)
    Four rounds of interviews
    -First HR round
    -Second a technical round with Mumbai Team
    -another round with A director in Hong Kong
    - Final Round with a Director from the US team

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nielsen in January 2013.

This company was invited to our campus Department of Operational Research,University of Delhi,Delhi.They first took a written test at their New Delhi Office.The written test comprises of 4 sections namely statistics,data interpretation,database management and mathematical programming.It was quite tough and very few qualified for it.Luckily I was one of the selected one owing to my good score in programming and database.Then we had a telephonic round which was unexpectedly our last round.It was very tricky one though,the HR was in Varodara were we about to get placed.It took 30 per candidate and they thoroughly checked candidate on different parameters giving different questions.I was asked first of all my personal info then was questions based on basic stats and analytical reasoning.They were moderate in nature.

Interview Questions
    • Guesstimate regarding number of table tennis ball in air at this time in Delhi(he raised this question as I am Table Tennis player).   Answer Question