Nielsen

Updated Oct 31, 2014

3.3

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen.

Standard initial call with the representative from HR. More concerned with seeing if you can carry on a intelligent conversation than seeing if you are qualified for the position.

Then, an assessment test was scheduled. The test covered some basic math skills/GRE type questions. I would recommend reviewing similar type questions before taking the test.

The process after that was actually relatively painless. It was a 3 hour interview--3 interviews with 3 people spanning from manager to director.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate but it could have been worthwhile to try. Just depends on how confident you are in getting the position.

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in March 2014.

I had a contact refer me. I applied online. Took the online test. The online test is primarily word problems and then some personality questions. Nielsen doesn't provide any practice tests. I recommend using the P&G practice test. The online test are very similar (Nielsen doesn't have the shapes relationships that P&G does).

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for a situational question. For example, Tide detergent sales are slumping and P&G asks why. What do you do?   Answer Question

Other offer that was more in line with the work I wanted to do.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in June 2013.

I was referred by a current employee. The recruiter contacted me within a few days. After a brief phone interview I was told I would be taking the Assessment Test. The test was not too difficult. The recruiter was back in contact with me to ask for a college transcript. She was told I would hear from the company as soon as the hiring manager was back from vacation in a few days. Two weeks later I received an e-mail saying they are moving forward with other applicants.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in January 2013.

After application, it was 2-3 weeks before hearing back from the team lead (not HR, for which I was glad) about setting up a phone interview. We set one up and discussed my background, resume, education, and general interview stuff: how do you prefer to think, etc. At the conclusion, the interviewer said he would like to set up another phone interview with another member of the team, and I sent available times. The second interview was more focused on the company itself, and what the particular development team (the one I would be joining) did.

Another two or so weeks passed before I received a message from the team lead, saying I'd moved forward to the written analytical test. It was sent to me by email on a mutually discussed and agreed-upon date/time, and I completed it at home, scanned my on-paper answers into a PDF, and sent it back to him. In a few days, I was informed I'd moved to the in-person interview.

The in-person interview was three parts, and each involved interviews with members of the team (again, I was thankful for minimal HR intrusion). One interviewer was the team lead again, with a mix of analytical and "soft skills" questions. The second was more technical and mathematical, getting further into the statistical and calculus elements of the position. The third was mostly personality- and behavior-based in the questioning.

I was told I'd hear back within two weeks, and I did. The interview was a Friday; I heard back in 13 days precisely. Unfortunately, I was not selected, but it was a very nice process overall. I even inquired to the team lead if there was anything in particular that made the chosen candidate, and he was kind enough to tell me what made the difference.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was a technical one involving the use of functionals. I can't remember the precise wording.   Answer Question

Market Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nielsen in March 2012.

Talked to HR rep on two seperate occasions. Never directly to the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • There were no trick questions. All were expected and required.   Answer Question

Position required relocation.

Field Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in January 2012.

After I applied there was a phone interview followed up by a couple in person interviews. Each interview lasted about 45 minutes. Mostly getting familiar with the job and asking me the normal questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covington, KY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nielsen in November 2011.

Had a first round interview on campus with the recruiter. Mostly behavioral questions and a relaxed environment. I then had to take a short test. I believe it was 10 quantitative questions and 2 case questions. I went on to a second round interview in Covington, KY. I met first with a recently hired analyst and then had three back-to-back interviews with upper management, each one lasting 45 minutes. All the questions were behavioral. All in all it was not a bad interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you were criticized for your performance. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you worked in a group setting and did not see eye to eye with one of your teammates.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covington, KY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nielsen in October 2011.

The onsite interview process consists of a breakfast with an analyst (generally someone that has only worked there for about 3 months), 3 back to back 1:1 interviews and a Q&A session that includes a panel of analysts.

The breakfast was informational and not used to evaluate candidates. It was an opportunity to learn more about the company and what it is like to start out as an analyst there.

The 3 interviews consisted of behavioral questions. Some people received case questions and hypothetical marketing situations, but it was mostly behavioral.

The Q&A session started with analysts discussing what they do and the variety of opportunities available for professional development at Nielsen. This was a very relaxed environment.

Overall, the breakfast was a great opportunity to learn what to emphasize in your interview. The 3 interviews were not intimidating, and the interviewers were really interested in knowing what questions the candidate had. The total process really allowed the opportunity to get a sense of the office and company culture.

Interview Questions
    • Amazon comes to you to market Kindle to college students. How would you go about evaluating this decision and how would you market it?   View Answer
    • Describe a time when you had an idea and no one else agreed with you. How did you solve the disagreement?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in July 2011.

Initial phone screen:

Tell me about yourself?

Why do you want to work for Nielsen?

What do you think we do here?

Tell me a time when you took the initiative to make an impact and what are the results and how you measure these results?

If a company comes to you for advice on launching a product, what information do you need to know to make that recommendation?

Walk me through your resume (highlight any analytics experience, client service experience, presentation and communication experience)

They don’t like when people talk about using this as a stepping stone, so don't talk about all your big future plans (but if you read about the company at all you'll know that over half of the ppl will leave here in a few yrs)

NOTE: There are multiple departments here…

1. TMG – the young hip group that brings in the most $$ working with marketing mix modeling

2. BASES – demand forecasting

3. continuous analytics – the group that handles everything else

You pass that you'll get a call to schedule a quant test w/in the week

Quant Test:

the easy ones:

1) You take a test, and 60% pass the first time and 40% fail.
    The second time around, 80% pass the test and 20% fail.
    The third time, 90% pass and 10% fail.

a. What is the probability that you pass the 1st OR the 2nd time?
    b. What is the probability that you pass on the 3rd time?
    c. What is the probability you fail?

2) The results of surveying 100 residents of a city reported that 40 read the daily morning paper, 70 read the daily evening paper & 20 read neither. How many:
    1. Read at least 1 paper?
    2. Read both?
    3. Read exactly one daily paper?

The medium difficulty ones:

3) A company sells Choco cookies for $15 each and can sell 3,000 per year; $5 of the product price is profit. The company is considering buying a new piece of equipment that will cost $100,000. The new machine will produce Choco Nut that cost $10 to make, can be sold for $15. And can sell 5,000 units of per year. How many years, based on the profit of ChocoNut, will it take the company to completely pay for the machine with it]s profit.

4) given price of the pretzels and then said that people would like 50% more salt, which would cost x amount. Given how much pretzels were sold in the past, you have to calculate how many additional pretzels need to be sold to cover the cost of adding the extra expense of adding salt.

5) A new company will release 3 new products (A, B, C). 20% of buyers will buy A, 55% will buy B and 25% will buy C. People that buy A will buy 1.5 units, B 2.5 and C .75. What percent of total sales will be product B?

6) out of a random sample of 500 , 75 like oranges. How much more sample should be taken in order to reach the no 100 who like oranges

7) list of ounces of each product, their selling price, % sales volume for the first season for each product, % sales volume for the rest of the year for each product, what’s avg ounce sold for that year

8) X% of the ppl own house, X% ppl who own house have carpet. X% of the ppl buys foaming carpet cleaner own house, how many ppl own house & buy carpet (can’t remember this one very well)

The Next Section is Case study with 3 questions:

I. Product Launch:

A survey of 300 magazine readers was taken because a client has given its advertisement on that magazine. The a matrix has been given with numbers of people who read the magazine, number of ppl who do not, people who buy the soap after reading the magazine and how many ppl buy soap w/o reading the magazine.

1) Was the advertisement effective?
    2) Recommendation to client
    3) What more questions could have asked to respondents

II. Hypothesis Report:

A report has to been to president as you would like to convince him to launch a new product UNISOAP that cleans literally EVERYTHING: clothes, hair, body, the toilet…who knows what else. The features will be given and you have to show strengths and weakness of the product.

NOTE: TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!! Two full pages of writing takes longer than one would expect

If you pass that, you'll get a call back w/in the week for an on-site interview.

On site interview questions:

What is sales a function of? List of explanatory variables.

Regression basics: what’s a r square etc.

Time when you failed to deliver

Time when you were criticized

Time when you couldn’t meet a given deadline

Time when you really made a difference on project

If there s a stack of quarter as tall as the empire state building, will they all fit on this table assuming weight is not an issue (can't fail this one, he will walk you through it UNTIL you get it right)

Interview Questions
    • couldn't fit all the questions in the last part... numbers of planes take off in jfk/day, number of ppr towels sold in the US/yr   View Answer

Information Security Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covington, KY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nielsen in August 2011.

Completely Amateurish

Had two phone interviews. Was told that they hoped to have the job filled by Oct 15th.

Got NO feedback from anyone unless I first initiated contact. Kept asking if I was still being considered to only be thanked for my patience and to be told things weren’t moving forward as quickly as they had hoped.
    Finally wrote another email on Oct 28th asking if I was still under consideration and was finally told that they were looking elsewhere. This might be fine to treat the freshly out of college candidates that Nielsen seems to be so attached to, but I was interviewing for a senior level position, and to have to email them just to find out that I was no longer under consideration was just an insult.

Totally inept and mismanaged interview process.