Nielsen Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was called several weeks after sending my resume through LinkedIn. The HR screener was pretty cold and robotic. Basic questions that you would expect: experience, ambitions and salary expectations. I was then sent a link to an online aptitude test and never heard back again. I assume I didn't do very well. Still, some follow up would be appreciated.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience. Tell me about your interests. Why do you want to work for Nielsen? What are you currently making?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nielsen (Schaumburg, IL).

Interview

Was sent by head hunter. First round of interviews with four people from group, second round with four more, this time including hiring manager and senior vice president. The first round was a technical evaluation, second round was decision to hire.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

all handled by recruiter, went very smoothly

Professional Service Analytics Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was recruited through on campus recruiting. After going to the info sessions, I was then invited to an interview. Before the interview, there was a dinner event to get to know the people. The people were truly great!

Interview Questions

• How would you cut a pie into 8 pieces with three slices?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

I applied online via LinkedIn. ~A week later, a person from my alma mater's career office called to set up an interview with an alum, but not the decision maker. After a phone screen, silence until I reached out to learn if there were any follow-ups. Was told that an internal candidate was hired. I believe I was contacted to fill a certain candidacy quota instead of a real opportunity to work there. Didn't appreciate being used. I think the interview set up via my alma mater was to confirm that I attended/graduated from the school (top 5).

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

The interview was very laid back and casual. It was not over powering with a panel as I expected but was a 1:1 in a office. It went quite smoother than I expected. She gave time of me to think and formulate my answers the way I wanted them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your knowledge of the position and what you think you will be doing?
      Why do you want to work at nelson?
      Tell me what you would do to influence a team?
      How do you see yourself as an asset to the Position?
      What od your first 30, 60, 90 days look like?

Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Connected to the SVP on LinkedIn and asked about any suitable positions based on my background and experience. He referred me to a HR who interviewed me for the specific role they were hiring for. Progressed to the next stage where the VP of the team interviewed. Questions about the projects I had worked on, what my role was, why I was looking to move from my current role, and if I had any background in probability and statistics. After a week, received a request to come onsite for more interviews. Since I was located in a different state, they decided to conduct the interviews via Skype. Had 4 more rounds, with 2 VPs, 1 Director and 1 Sr. Research Scientist. All of them questioned me about the projects I worked on, what tools I used, my background in Analytics. Since I had a couple of years experience in this area, the questions were focused on the different types of projects and my role in them. The Research Scientist asked me some questions on R and the Director asked me some technical questions about clustering, missing value imputation. Overall very nice experience. Received an offer about a week after the last interviews.

Interview Questions

• How would you get all the unique values from an attribute in R?   1 Answer

Director Innovation Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in May 2015.

Interview

Similar to many other comments, the entire process has been unprofessional and lacked follow up. After 2 phone interviews and one face to face in over a month I was told that they would follow up but 3 weeks later I am still waiting

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

First phone screening interview with a recruiter, then a phone interview with a VP. Both were extremely pleasant but they simply didn't follow through with their "promises". I had to reach out three times to get an update, always received a positive reply with the promise that they would get back to me the following week again with details. Never happened. Not sure if that's a place you want to work at.

Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Schaumburg, IL).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and then we set up an initial phone interview/screening, which consisted of your basic behavioral questions. I was also asked to take an online assessment, which was your basic Stats/programming concepts. Then i got a call for a Face to face interview with two people. The face to face interview was onsite for about an hour. They just went through my resume and asked questions on my past experience, so nothing too unusual. Overall, a pretty standard interview experience. I was offered a position the following week.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the number of people watching basketball at this time.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

I spoke to a campus recruiter at a job fair and gave her my resume. Later that day, I received an email to complete an assessment and schedule a phone interview, which happened about a week later. The assessment included a bunch of brain teasers and the phone interview was mostly basic "tell me about a time when you..." sort of questions. I was then emailed a few days later to schedule two face to face interviews on campus, which asked similar questions in addition to mini case type questions.

Interview Questions

• A new grape flavored Oreo was just launched and sales are down. How would you boost sales?   Answer Question