Nielsen Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015

Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen.

I was contacted by a recruiter and then we set up an initial phone interview/screening, which consisted of your basic behavioral questions. I was also asked to take an online assessment, which was your basic Stats/programming concepts. Then i got a call for a Face to face interview with two people. The face to face interview was onsite for about an hour. They just went through my resume and asked questions on my past experience, so nothing too unusual. Overall, a pretty standard interview experience. I was offered a position the following week.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the number of people watching basketball at this time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nielsen.

Applied online. Was asked to complete the online assessment which was a multiple-choice questions. It was a mix of analytical questions and behavior questions(like do you multitask, how sympathetic are you to your co-workers etc.)
    After this, I was scheduled for an interview. It was a 45 minute interview process where I went over the resume and highlighted a couple of projects. THe interviewer asked me behavioral questions mostly. I had a lot of examples stowed away. So it was not difficult to answer them.
    My analytical skill was also tested. She asked me "There are 25,000 students in the campus. How many students take the university shuttle in a year". I felt that thinking out loud gave her a good idea of how I analysed the situation. The interview ended with her asking me why Nielsen.

Overall, I had a pretty good experience. I have been scheduled for the final round of interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a complex situation that you faced, and how you solved it   Answer Question

Research Statistician Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nielsen.

the whole interview took over 4 months. interviewed with 4 different managers with various positions. Most questions are behavioral related. Asked questions about my past projects, no specific technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • do u know vlookup? what is data fusion? what is standard error?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nielsen.

3.5 hours total. Lunch from 12-1pm where you speak to an employee and can ask questions/have a general conversation. 1-2:30, speak to 3 different people for 30 minutes each where they ask you basic behavioral and market sizing questions. Lunch was great and really helpful, helped me relax. Talking to the three different interviewers were fairly easy but the market sizing questions, I was not prepared for.

Interview Questions
    • How many miles are run on a treadmill on a day in February?   Answer Question
    • How many students ride the campus bus in a day? Assuming student population of 25,000   Answer Question
    • If you had a client with a premium product on the shelf at a retailer store that was not being successful, how would you convince the retailer owner to keep the product on the shelf?   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nielsen.

Went in for a super day. Had three interviews. 1st asked about my background. 2nd asked me some easy brain teasers. 3rd asked me why nielsen? It was overall a pretty good process and I thought I had crushed the interview but I guess I did not.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nielsen.

I was interviewed by a panel of two Nielsen managers. They were each very friendly and laid out the job specifications for me very clearly. I would really love to work for this company and hope that I get an offer. They sound like they are a very great company to work for.

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in February 2015.

Applied through university recruiting and was sent a link to take an assessment. I wasn't prepared for the assessment as it was more intense than I was planning. I suggest you are in a position where you won't be distracted and can focus as it is timed and you will likely not finish. After the assessment I was contacted for a phone interview, nothing too difficult, just behavioral and going through your resume.

After the phone interview they followed up to have 2 interviews with managers. Both managers came to our campus the following week. 1 of the 2 was a case study that focused on the more statistical knowledge of data analysis. The second was more behavioral. Both managers were very helpful in the interview process.

They were very professional during the whole process and really wanted to match me with an office that I wanted. Asked me my preferences in regards to location and region. The offer was based on those preferences so I was really appreciative of that accommodation and professionalism. Only reason I didn't accept the offer was because of having to relocate and salary/cost of living considerations from another offer.

Nielsen Field Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nielsen in February 2015.

Applied for job online in December...received an email from from recruiter for a 10 min interview. The next phase had a Skype interview with sales manager. Went very well. The next week received consent for background check. (I have a clean background). Two weeks have gone by no response from the company. I emailed recruiter..she responded the sales manger would call me. Another two weeks no response

Field Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cape Girardeau, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Cape Girardeau, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in February 2015.

Applied via the website. Within two days received an email setting up phone interview. Monday following Friday phone interview I had an in person interview with the area field manager that lasted around forty minutes and featured your usual greatest hits of interview questions. They told me I would know by around March 3rd and would be required to leave March 9th for a week of training in St. Louis followed by 6 weeks in Tampa.

Interview Questions
    • Your three worst qualities? Why are you the best candidate? Your three strengths? What do you dislike/like about your current or last job?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

There were a few steps to the process for Nielsen.

1) Application and aptitude test. The test was designed to get an idea of your workplace personality, and there were several logic questions designed to test your conceptual skills.

2) First interview. This interview was held at my university, and it was fairly basic. The two interviewers asked me about my job experience, why I wanted to work for Nielsen, and a couple analytical questions to see my thought process and problem solving skills.

3) The final round was at the actual Nielsen office. I was put up in a hotel the night before, and then had a superday. There were 3 consecutive 1 on 1 interviews, each for 45 minutes. They were similar in structure, each asking about different work situations I had been in, why I wanted Nielsen, and one analytical question. The interviewers were personable and great! Some recently hired analysts then brought us out to lunch and we could ask specific questions about the job.

I found out within 48 hours that I was being offered a position. I would recommend doing lots of research on the company, and make sure you have a passion for Nielsen and everything they do. That will make you stand out from the crowd.

Interview Questions
    • Pick a food or beverage product and decide how you would change it. What would you need to know in order to market the new product and how would you go about promoting it?   Answer Question
    • Coca-Cola has released a new line of Strawberry Coke, and consumers say that it tastes really good. However, first quarter sales are much lower than forecasted. What factors could have influenced this, and what reasons might there be lower sales?   Answer Question
    • Assume there are 25,000 students at your university. Approximately how many bus trips are taken by students every year?   Answer Question