Nielsen Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

Emerging Leaders Program: Operations and Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nielsen (Tampa, FL) in January 2010.

Interview

I talked to Nielsen for the first time at my universities' career fair. I didn't really expect to get a call back or even less an interview. A few days later I was called by a recruiter to set up an on campus interview. The first interview was really hard. I was hit with all sorts of questions from your typical behavioral questions to really technical one's. The interview lasted about an hour and was done by two recruiters.

A few days later I got a a phone call from Nielsen inviting to second round interviews in Tampa, FL. It was held at a very nice resort. There was a full day of interviews 7:30AM to 2PM. I interviewed a total of 3 times with 2 managers each time. After the interviews the VP of their Global Business Unit was in town and stopped by to give a key note speech and I thought it was really cool of how much exposure you have just as a candidate for the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe to me in C how to take the word "FOX" and rearrange the words backwords to spell "XOF" using only a stack and one variable.   2 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone and you did not get a long with them.   Answer Question
    • Tell why you think you are a good fit for the emerging leaders program.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation the salary was very competitive.

Project Developer Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in January 2010.

Interview

Did a phone interview and was asked to come in for an assessment. The test was 90 minutes and applied to different aspects and functions of the job. Came in a week later for four rounds of interviews and a lunch meeting with another employee. Two of the interviews were over the phone, so it seemed pointless to do them from the office and made the day drag on. The questions across the four were extremely repetitive and I had to repeat the same stories all day. Some of the interviewers didnt seem to know what they were doing since the company clearly wasn't organized and swapped out a few people last minute. My last interviewer made up the questions as he went along. The woman I had done my phone interview with contacted me and asked me to come in yet again for another 30 minute interview. You could see why they are "industry leaders"- all focus on getting ahead and zero on individuals. None of the people I spoke with seemed to sell the company or the job to me, but instead had a "your lucky we're taking the time to talk to you" attitude. The lady from the phone interview was helping me throughout the process and was really nice until they decided not to hire me. I got a generic rejection letter with my actual name instead of my nickname which they'd be using with me throughout the entire process and even sent it to the email address listed in the job website and not the one from my resume that I'd been using to communicate with them for the entire 4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you disagreed with another employee and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nielsen in July 2009.

Interview

HR set up a phone interview that sounded general- "we'll tell you about the job, you can highlight some of your experience." Appointment time came and went with no phone call. HR finally called to CANCEL 45 minutes later and rescheduled for another day.

Interview Questions

• First HR interview asked VERY specific questions. Lots of those "tell me about a time when..." questions. Ugh.   Answer Question

Test was a monotonous reflection of what my day-to-day tasks would be.

Product Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Nielsen (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

Too many calls, interviews and tests; too much time spent with little decision making. Each interviewer picks his/her candidate and battle against each other for cultural/ethnic domination. For some reason they want people with superb mathematical skills, you will find out why once you meet the interviewers. Needless to say, if an interviewer doesn’t like you and can't find something to be incisive about, they will make it up. You will NEVER have enough math skills if an interviewer doesn’t like you. Ironically, found out the company is in question for their research numbers on minorities.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH) in March 2011.

Interview

The Nielsen Company has an extremely competitive and demanding interview process. In my experience it had four components:
    1) Preliminary Phone Screen
    2) Math Skills/ Business Acumen Written Exam
    3) 3 1:1 Interviews
    4) 3 more 1:1 Interviews

Preliminary Phone Screen - in this segment, I was introduced to my recruiter. She was extremely nice and helpful throughout the process. The screen consisted of general questions regarding my education, my background, some brief leadership questions, and my knowledge of the company. It was relatively easy.

Written Exam - This exam was EXTREMELY hard. I took it on site, was given a calculator and scrap paper and roughly 2 hours. The questions are similar to GMAT questions but each question consists of at least 3 or 4 parts. They are difficult but if you don't panic and try to reason through the questions you can solve them. Make sure you are strong with WEIGHTED AVERAGES questions, as well as basic algebra, and MGMT ACCOUNTING questions involving Break Even Points, Fixed Costs and Variable Costs etc. But especially weighted averages. The second part of the exam are written case study questions. You need a fundamental understanding of how to approach case studies to excel here. I strongly recommend Cosentino's Case In Point book to acquire the skills necessary for case studies.

1:1 Interviews - The interviews were all extremely pleasant, and I could tell that I would enjoy working with my colleagues. The questions were behavioral ("leadership", "time you failed", "time you disagreed with a colleague," etc.). I also had a case study on each interview so roughly 6 case studies. They were mainly New Product Development cases, Industry Analysis Cases, Growth Strategy Cases, some Market sizing and some simple Random Questions ("How many quarters will it take to get to the top of the empire state building?") The case studies were interesting and fun to discuss.

After my second round of interviews I received a phone call and a verbal offer. I was ecstatic! This is a great company to work for!!!!!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you failed, and what did you learn from it?   1 Answer
    • Your company wants to increase the price of the product, but wants to maintain market share. What would you recommend?   1 Answer

Negotiation

the offer was fair considering my education and my background and I accepted immediately. Was roughly middle of the range for my position.

GBS Emerging Leaders Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Tampa, FL) in November 2012.

Interview

Initial interview with members of the department you selected, followed by the invitational event in Tampa. Three day process with a barrage of interviews including personal, case study, and group interviews. Excellent interviewing process, also includes question/answer time with others who have been through the program previously, presentations from Nielsen executives, and in depth explanations of the program. Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming, while having very high expectations for performance.

Interview Questions

• Group project where you work with other people applying for your track within the ELP. Given one hour to solve a problem and prepare a presentation while working on a team with people you've just met.   Answer Question

Interview

Applied through campus career services and got a first round interview on campus. Interview was 45 minute behavioral type. There was a meet a greet the night before- I suggest going as it is where I met the interviewer. During the meet and greet I asked my interviewer if there would be brain teasers as the ones that are posted on this site and she told me "not that I know of'. She had never conducted an interview before and had no idea what she was talking about considering over half the interview consisted of brain teaser questions. The beginning of the interview was the generic walk me through your resume. She then pulled out a packet with questions related to business scenarios and things as crazy as how many slices of pizza a college campus would consume in a year. They just want to hear how you reason things out- so talk through your process as much as you can.

This interview was insanely hard to prepare for as the questions were meant to make you think on the spot. The interviewer was extremely unprepared and frazzled, flipping threw the packet and reading the questions during the first time during the interview. I have no idea why such a prestigious company chose to send such an unprepared recruit to campus and thought it would work in my benefit. It however did not. I was disappointed to find that no one I knew who interviewed got the job besides 1. Not surprised though this process was very vigorous- even more competitive than interviewing with the big 4.

Interview Questions

• You have a 3 oz and a 5 oz cup of water how do you measure 1 oz?   Answer Question

COE INNOVATION LEAD MEXCAM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mexico City (Mexico)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Mexico City (Mexico)) in November 2011.

Interview

HR recuits the candidates based on the description that each area share, they make an interview to screen and assure that the profile fits with the requierements, then a test is done depending on the area an assessment is made and after the candidate pass the test then it goes to the interviews with the members of the area in which is planning to enter

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)) in May 2013.

Interview

The hiring process started with a test, followed by two interviews and a presentation. The first interview was with line manager, followed by another one with the HR. the presentation was on a topic related to the industry.

Interview Questions

• How are you most suited to Nielsen and what do you bring to the table?   Answer Question

Market Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)) in September 2014.

Interview

So I submitted my resume through employee referral. 1 week later, i got a phone call from Nielsen's HR at night. I thought it was only gonna be a short one. But the phone interview lasted like 1 hour. The HR was very professional, he went through each line of my resume, and I had tried my best linked it my educational background and past internship experience with market research. At the end of the phone interview, i was offered to do a online test. It contained personality test and logic test, and there is a time limit for each question. few days later i got an email saying that i passed the online test and would like to schedule a in-person meeting with me. About another week later, I went to the office for the interview. There were the HR and 2 managers who interviewed me. Before we talked, i did a math exam and a analytical presentation based on the material they gave me. Then I got to talk with the hr and managers who later worked with me. Apart from the test and presentation, they asked me general questions, like why Nielsen, what is my opinion about working in a team, work overtime, etc. The in-person interviewed last about 3 hours. And the result was given in 1 week.

Interview Questions

• what do you know about market research?   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation