Nielsen Professional Services, Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

3.2

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied through campus career services and got a first round interview on campus. Interview was 45 minute behavioral type. There was a meet a greet the night before- I suggest going as it is where I met the interviewer. During the meet and greet I asked my interviewer if there would be brain teasers as the ones that are posted on this site and she told me "not that I know of'. She had never conducted an interview before and had no idea what she was talking about considering over half the interview consisted of brain teaser questions. The beginning of the interview was the generic walk me through your resume. She then pulled out a packet with questions related to business scenarios and things as crazy as how many slices of pizza a college campus would consume in a year. They just want to hear how you reason things out- so talk through your process as much as you can. This interview was insanely hard to prepare for as the questions were meant to make you think on the spot. The interviewer was extremely unprepared and frazzled, flipping threw the packet and reading the questions during the first time during the interview. I have no idea why such a prestigious company chose to send such an unprepared recruit to campus and thought it would work in my benefit. It however did not. I was disappointed to find that no one I knew who interviewed got the job besides 1. Not surprised though this process was very vigorous- even more competitive than interviewing with the big 4.

Interview Questions

• You have a 3 oz and a 5 oz cup of water how do you measure 1 oz?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen in October 2014.

Interview

This was through on-campus recruiting -- I talked with them at my university's Career Fair, attended several information sessions, and tried to understand the different positions available and the different verticals within Professional Services. The interview itself was relatively straightforward. I interviewed for full-time on campus, so I did two 45-minute interviews (essentially first and second round interviews in one go). In each, we spent some time discussing my resume. Then, I was asked behavioral questions (mostly revolving around teamwork, giving presentation, using data to tell a story). There were a couple of marketing case questions, where I was given a company and a situation they were in and asked what types of questions I would ask and what type of data I would recommend the company look for. They also threw in a couple of brainteasers (you have one five ounce cup and one three ounce cup and an unlimited amount of water. How do you get one of the cups to have one ounce of water?).

Interview Questions

• 1) When were you in a situation where you were asked to do something you were uncomfortable with and how did you respond? 2) How many flights leave from the Atlanta International Airport every week? (and other similar brain teasers) 3) Mondelez has released a grape Oreo and they see that sales aren't that high (really? Ya think?). How would you go about increasing demand for this product? 4) Company X is a large, well-known company in a niche market selling granola bars. Company Y has just penetrated the market with a similar product at a lower price. Company X tries to release granola bars in smaller packages with a lower price and increased advertising, but sales do not increase. What types of questions would you ask and what type of data would you recommend the company look into?   1 Answer

Wasn't the type of company I was looking for.

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Nielsen in October 2014.

Interview

I met them at career fair and received and invitation to an on-campus interview. Before going to the interview I had to take an assessment online. This was not very hard, but it asked questions that made you think and you only had 3 minutes to answer each question. The on-campus interview consisted of two 45 minute interviews. They were mostly behavioral questions, but some were problem solving.

Interview Questions

• What is the change in price per year formula?   Answer Question
    • If you have a 3oz cup and a 5 oz cup and an unlimited supply of water, how do you measure exactly 4 oz without using anything else.   Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

Short on campus interview with brain teasers and situational questions, and longer final round interview in the office with more situational and why Nielsen questions. Everyone was very nice and friendly, clear communication

Interview Questions

• What criticism have you received in the past and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in November 2010.

Interview

I applied online through their online portal. I received a phone call a few weeks later, stating that I had been selected for a phone interview. I completed the interview on a Tuesday and the next day was told that Nielsen was interested in further pursuing me as a candidate. They scheduled an analytical test for that Friday. It was not easy, consisted of 10 problems and 2 case studies. I received an email that following Monday stating that I had passed the exam and was scheduled for an on-site interview. I interviewed that Friday in their Chicago, IL office. The first interview was lunch with a new Analyst, which amounted to a candid, low-pressure conversation. From there I met with one Director/VP of each of the 3 Professional Services units, individually. These each lasted about 45 minutes. Finally, we (myself and other candidates) concluded the interview in a round-table type setting with HR, some VPs, and some SVPs. I left the interview feeling confident, but received an email about 2 weeks later stating that they decided to pursue other candidates. Overall the interview process was positive. It seems like a great company to work for if given the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when someone you had a disagreement with someone you worked with? How did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had to make a quick decision.   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had conflicting priorities, all on similar deadlines. (lots of "name a time when..." questions)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH) in May 2010.

Interview

The first interaction is by E-mail, they ask for your resume and any cover letters and ask you to apply online so that they have a digital copy of all media that you wish to submit. Then depending on where you are located and where they intend to place you, you have a basic phone interview with behavioral questions and questions related to your education and work experience. The next step is to take a skills assessment to gauge your mathematical and analytical abilities. Assuming you are able to pass that, you will be asked to make an on-site appearance for a series of interviews consisting of three 45 minute interviews with individuals from each of the analyst departments. Depending on how well your interviews go, you will hopefully receive a job offer.

Interview Questions

• What variables might go into the formulation of a model used to predict sales volume?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is little to no negotiation for entry-level positions. You will be well compensated, so it's best to either accept or reject based on your other offers (if you have any).

Professional Services Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

I sent my resume through my university's online career center system and on the Nielsen website. I received an email about passing the initial round of resumes and scheduled an interview at my university two weeks later. I had a 30 minute behavioral interview with an employee in the Professional Services analyst position and then a 90 minute test on applied math skills. The behavioral interview was very relaxed and the skills test was slightly challenging but do-able! I haven't solved questions like these for many years but I was able to get through the entire test. Review upper level highschool statistics (college level statistics was not on the test).

Professional Service Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

Met multiple times at career fairs and was offered interviews each time. Finally accepted interview which consisted of a 1:1 interview after passing the analytic test a week or two in advance. I was contacted approximately two weeks later for an on-site interview which consists of a lunch and three interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Parsippany, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

Started with an on-campus interview, standard behavioral with some case-like questions at the end, and then time for me to ask any questions. I had actually interviewed with this woman before, so the tone was a bit friendlier. Advanced to the next round. They were not actually specific that this would also be the final round, but I guess that's assumed since it was off-site. Traveled to Parsippany, NJ location (all paid for by employer), then had 3 45 minute interviews in a row, back to back. After there was a quick lunch with associates (which probably was a secret interview in its own way). All interviews were similar to the first round, behavioral, time for me to ask questions at the end. But different in the sense that they wanted to hear more about why we wanted Nielsen. More about what we know about Professional Services in particular and what the 3 verticals entail. Above all, wanted to understand how we think, so definitely talk through questions even if you have no idea what the answer is.

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest regret? (Emphasis on not work related) -Case study question about Coke-A-Cola, what would you suggest if they are interested in joining craft beer industry? Good idea or bad? -Question about cake. Brain teaser. You want to cut it into 8 slices but can only cut it 3 times. How do you do this? -How many people buy soft drinks in the United States? -Why Nielsen/Why Professional Services -Why ____(your university) -Biggest accomplishment at your university to date. -Some question about grape oreos (other candidates have posted, it's the exact same one)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through college job board, received a math/analytical assessment from Nielsen a few days later to complete. After that, I got an email inviting me to an on-campus interview a few days later as well as an invite to the pre-night interview social the day before. Going to that was a smart choice since it allowed me to meet with my interviewer beforehand. On-campus interview went really well and consisted of mainly behavioral questions plus one estimation question and one case type question at the end. Within a couple days, I received a call to come into the Chicago office for a four hour final round interview. That interview consisted of three separate 45-minute sessions with different Nielsen employees, all of whom asked similar behavioral type questions -- but there was a lot of room to ask them questions as well and have conversations about Nielsen. After that, I went to lunch with a current employee, which was a great way to get to know more about the company environment in a non-professional setting. Everything at my final round interview went really well too, but I found out a week later via email I didn't receive an offer (probably my B.A. in the arts/humanities couldn't hold out on me any longer). Overall the process was pretty clear and easily navigable though.

Interview Questions

• Primarily behavioral type questions, a few analytical questions (estimation question + marketing/segmentation analysis questions)   Answer Question