Nielsen Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Parsippany, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

Started with an on-campus interview, standard behavioral with some case-like questions at the end, and then time for me to ask any questions. I had actually interviewed with this woman before, so the tone was a bit friendlier.

Advanced to the next round. They were not actually specific that this would also be the final round, but I guess that's assumed since it was off-site. Traveled to Parsippany, NJ location (all paid for by employer), then had 3 45 minute interviews in a row, back to back. After there was a quick lunch with associates (which probably was a secret interview in its own way).

All interviews were similar to the first round, behavioral, time for me to ask questions at the end. But different in the sense that they wanted to hear more about why we wanted Nielsen. More about what we know about Professional Services in particular and what the 3 verticals entail. Above all, wanted to understand how we think, so definitely talk through questions even if you have no idea what the answer is.

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest regret? (Emphasis on not work related)
      -Case study question about Coke-A-Cola, what would you suggest if they are interested in joining craft beer industry? Good idea or bad?
      -Question about cake. Brain teaser. You want to cut it into 8 slices but can only cut it 3 times. How do you do this?
      -How many people buy soft drinks in the United States?
      -Why Nielsen/Why Professional Services
      -Why ____(your university)
      -Biggest accomplishment at your university to date.
      -Some question about grape oreos (other candidates have posted, it's the exact same one)

Answer Question

Manager Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Schaumburg, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

First round was overview with HR and Resume review. Second round was logic/behavioral test online. Third round was hiring manager for 45 mins and then another round with some senior team member for one hour over phone. Final interview was onsite with senior team members. Overall very good experience. HR is very responsive to emails and keeps you updated throughout the process. Was offered a position one week after the onsite interview. Happy with what they offered. Seems the company culture is flexible.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

Went in for a super day. Had three interviews. 1st asked about my background. 2nd asked me some easy brain teasers. 3rd asked me why nielsen? It was overall a pretty good process and I thought I had crushed the interview but I guess I did not.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Wilton, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

There were a few steps to the process for Nielsen.

1) Application and aptitude test. The test was designed to get an idea of your workplace personality, and there were several logic questions designed to test your conceptual skills.

2) First interview. This interview was held at my university, and it was fairly basic. The two interviewers asked me about my job experience, why I wanted to work for Nielsen, and a couple analytical questions to see my thought process and problem solving skills.

3) The final round was at the actual Nielsen office. I was put up in a hotel the night before, and then had a superday. There were 3 consecutive 1 on 1 interviews, each for 45 minutes. They were similar in structure, each asking about different work situations I had been in, why I wanted Nielsen, and one analytical question. The interviewers were personable and great! Some recently hired analysts then brought us out to lunch and we could ask specific questions about the job.

I found out within 48 hours that I was being offered a position. I would recommend doing lots of research on the company, and make sure you have a passion for Nielsen and everything they do. That will make you stand out from the crowd.

Interview Questions

• Pick a food or beverage product and decide how you would change it. What would you need to know in order to market the new product and how would you go about promoting it?   Answer Question
    • Coca-Cola has released a new line of Strawberry Coke, and consumers say that it tastes really good. However, first quarter sales are much lower than forecasted. What factors could have influenced this, and what reasons might there be lower sales?   Answer Question
    • Assume there are 25,000 students at your university. Approximately how many bus trips are taken by students every year?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

I was interviewed by a panel of two Nielsen managers. They were each very friendly and laid out the job specifications for me very clearly. I would really love to work for this company and hope that I get an offer. They sound like they are a very great company to work for.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through university recruiting and was sent a link to take an assessment. I wasn't prepared for the assessment as it was more intense than I was planning. I suggest you are in a position where you won't be distracted and can focus as it is timed and you will likely not finish. After the assessment I was contacted for a phone interview, nothing too difficult, just behavioral and going through your resume.

After the phone interview they followed up to have 2 interviews with managers. Both managers came to our campus the following week. 1 of the 2 was a case study that focused on the more statistical knowledge of data analysis. The second was more behavioral. Both managers were very helpful in the interview process.

They were very professional during the whole process and really wanted to match me with an office that I wanted. Asked me my preferences in regards to location and region. The offer was based on those preferences so I was really appreciative of that accommodation and professionalism. Only reason I didn't accept the offer was because of having to relocate and salary/cost of living considerations from another offer.

Field Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cape Girardeau, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Cape Girardeau, MO) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied via the website. Within two days received an email setting up phone interview. Monday following Friday phone interview I had an in person interview with the area field manager that lasted around forty minutes and featured your usual greatest hits of interview questions. They told me I would know by around March 3rd and would be required to leave March 9th for a week of training in St. Louis followed by 6 weeks in Tampa.

Interview Questions

• Your three worst qualities? Why are you the best candidate? Your three strengths? What do you dislike/like about your current or last job?   Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Bloomington, IN) in February 2015.

Interview

Interviewed on campus, took about 30-45 minutes. Guy seemed pretty normal, as have all Nielsen employees I interacted with. Had I moved on in the process, I would have had another interview at one of their offices, a full day event (though I wouldn't have complained!). The job seemed really cool and was my #1 choice, so I was actually really sad to not get in.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioral questions and a few problem solving questions. There was also an online assessment, which was pretty hard.   Answer Question

Nielsen Field Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nielsen (Memphis, TN) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied for job online in December...received an email from from recruiter for a 10 min interview. The next phase had a Skype interview with sales manager. Went very well. The next week received consent for background check. (I have a clean background). Two weeks have gone by no response from the company. I emailed recruiter..she responded the sales manger would call me. Another two weeks no response

Senior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Screening interview, in person interview with assessment and math skills, interview with hiring manager. In the screening interview they asked me to describe the work I've done? .... I gave lots of examples of research projects relevant to the position and with a variety of methodologies. We also discussed comfort with technology and media. Nielsen has slightly reorganized their internal teams to better accommodate the multi-screen interactive world that we now live in. ... Describe experience working with and managing teams. Describe your comfort level working with clients and developing proposals and surveys... Overview of Nielsen and the hiring process... next steps.

Interview Questions

• Describe the work you've done? .... Give examples of work. ... Describe experience working with and managing teams. ... Overview of Nielsen and the hiring process... next steps.   1 Answer