Nielsen Research Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Wilton, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

There were a few steps to the process for Nielsen. 1) Application and aptitude test. The test was designed to get an idea of your workplace personality, and there were several logic questions designed to test your conceptual skills. 2) First interview. This interview was held at my university, and it was fairly basic. The two interviewers asked me about my job experience, why I wanted to work for Nielsen, and a couple analytical questions to see my thought process and problem solving skills. 3) The final round was at the actual Nielsen office. I was put up in a hotel the night before, and then had a superday. There were 3 consecutive 1 on 1 interviews, each for 45 minutes. They were similar in structure, each asking about different work situations I had been in, why I wanted Nielsen, and one analytical question. The interviewers were personable and great! Some recently hired analysts then brought us out to lunch and we could ask specific questions about the job. I found out within 48 hours that I was being offered a position. I would recommend doing lots of research on the company, and make sure you have a passion for Nielsen and everything they do. That will make you stand out from the crowd.

Interview Questions

• Pick a food or beverage product and decide how you would change it. What would you need to know in order to market the new product and how would you go about promoting it?   Answer Question
  • Coca-Cola has released a new line of Strawberry Coke, and consumers say that it tastes really good. However, first quarter sales are much lower than forecasted. What factors could have influenced this, and what reasons might there be lower sales?   Answer Question
  • Assume there are 25,000 students at your university. Approximately how many bus trips are taken by students every year?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

Got contacted by an HR, no phone interview and go straight to onsite. The onsite interviews were 5 1:1 30mins, nothing difficult or unexpected, but you need to show strong interest in the particular role. They are quite laid-back on hiring process, slow replies.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2014.

Interview

Nielsen came to my University's business school career fair for entry level positions. The interview process began with applying through the Nielsen HR portal, including an online personality and analytical test. I would advise to go online and practice a few free tests to get a feel on how to answer quickly, as there is a time limit for each question. The interview was conducted by a current employee, not by HR. As a result, the interview did not flow very well as the interviewer had to get to all the questions on his list and write my answers down. The questions asked were normal behavioral interview questions with a one analytical reasoning question. The interviewer did ask questions that I did not expect, which made it more difficult than other interviews I have had.

Interview Questions

• How would you figure out how many slices of pizza are eaten on your campus in one week?   Answer Question
    • What one experience has impacted your life the most?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by an HR rep about a month after submitting my application online. Had a phone interview in the following days, which was easy and nothing out of the ordinary, although be prepared for "give an example of a time you had to explain a complex topic in simple terms". After that, there was an online assessment, which consisted of both personality questions, as well as a series of logic questions (the kind where you are given some info and have to put events in the correct order). You get 3 minutes per logic question. I was then contacted the following week for an on-site interview and exam. The exam is 1 hour, 10 questions (with sub parts) and not challenging if you've read the posts on here and prepared for the topics. Then there were three 45-minute interviews. The questions really depend on the interviewer. My first one was very heavy on the analytical questions, e.g. you have 15 minutes and a ruler, how do you measure how many blades of grass are on a football field. The other 2 were more behavioral, with a few marketing/analytical questions, e.g. there's a store with whole, 2%, 1%, skim, and chocolate milk, the owner wants to add soy milk, which milk to you take out and why (just be able to justify your response, there's no right answer). Then there's lunch with a current analyst, which is casual and just a fun time to talk about the role and the company! I don't think this happens often, but I then had another quick phone interview, and at the end I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• How much milk is sold in the US every year?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate, I was happy with the offer and excited to work for the company!

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

Phone screening, Behavioral Assessment, In person math exam, three interviews with five people, and then maybe lunch if you're lucky. The process was very intimidating yet beneficial as well. If you don't pass the math exam you can not move on with the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current job? I didn't want to say anything bad about my current employer but how do I say all the reasons why I want to leave.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

Phone screening with recruiter. Very easy -- mainly just to make sure you are a competent individual to invite into the office. In Person Interview with multiple members of the research team. Very time consuming process. Most people are very nice, but it entirely depends on who you are speaking with. Mathematical test was okay. It is like basic, standardized high school math test. Don't take it too lightly -- review main algebraic concepts. All new hires need to pass at least 7 out of 10 questions. Case study -- terrible. No feedback whatsoever. I think it was a good job, but who knows. I think it counts very little in the overall interview process. n).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Nielsen (New York, NY).

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, with a written assessment

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nielsen in February 2014.

Interview

They came to my school for an info session and told us about the application process if we were interested. Afterwards, there is a first round interview (30 mins-1hr) on campus and the second (and final) interview at one of their offices. (the whole morning, 3 interviews back to back)

Interview Questions

• Q. without looking at the ticket sales, how would you determine how many people are going through an airport on a certain date? (there is no right or wrong answer, they want to assess your thought process)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Evanston, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

Behavioral interview, followed by online analytic assessment, followed by another behavioral interview. Pretty standard, no surprises. The online assessment includes math (GMAT-type) questions as well as logic (LSAT-type) questions and is timed. A couple of the behavioral interviews included case questions, but they were straightforward. Otherwise it was more a matter of feeling out if you think the company would be an appropriate fit.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nielsen (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online, was asked for a phone interview to which I replied with available times and received no response. I followed up within the time frame in case the email was lost or something but still nothing. Very odd and unprofessional. It seems that if there were too many responses an email is an easy thing to send these days.