Nielsen Research Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in February 2015.

There were a few steps to the process for Nielsen.

1) Application and aptitude test. The test was designed to get an idea of your workplace personality, and there were several logic questions designed to test your conceptual skills.

2) First interview. This interview was held at my university, and it was fairly basic. The two interviewers asked me about my job experience, why I wanted to work for Nielsen, and a couple analytical questions to see my thought process and problem solving skills.

3) The final round was at the actual Nielsen office. I was put up in a hotel the night before, and then had a superday. There were 3 consecutive 1 on 1 interviews, each for 45 minutes. They were similar in structure, each asking about different work situations I had been in, why I wanted Nielsen, and one analytical question. The interviewers were personable and great! Some recently hired analysts then brought us out to lunch and we could ask specific questions about the job.

I found out within 48 hours that I was being offered a position. I would recommend doing lots of research on the company, and make sure you have a passion for Nielsen and everything they do. That will make you stand out from the crowd.

Interview Questions
  • Pick a food or beverage product and decide how you would change it. What would you need to know in order to market the new product and how would you go about promoting it?   Answer Question
  • Coca-Cola has released a new line of Strawberry Coke, and consumers say that it tastes really good. However, first quarter sales are much lower than forecasted. What factors could have influenced this, and what reasons might there be lower sales?   Answer Question
  • Assume there are 25,000 students at your university. Approximately how many bus trips are taken by students every year?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen.

Got contacted by an HR, no phone interview and go straight to onsite. The onsite interviews were 5 1:1 30mins, nothing difficult or unexpected, but you need to show strong interest in the particular role. They are quite laid-back on hiring process, slow replies.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in August 2014.

Was contacted by an HR rep about a month after submitting my application online. Had a phone interview in the following days, which was easy and nothing out of the ordinary, although be prepared for "give an example of a time you had to explain a complex topic in simple terms". After that, there was an online assessment, which consisted of both personality questions, as well as a series of logic questions (the kind where you are given some info and have to put events in the correct order). You get 3 minutes per logic question. I was then contacted the following week for an on-site interview and exam. The exam is 1 hour, 10 questions (with sub parts) and not challenging if you've read the posts on here and prepared for the topics. Then there were three 45-minute interviews. The questions really depend on the interviewer. My first one was very heavy on the analytical questions, e.g. you have 15 minutes and a ruler, how do you measure how many blades of grass are on a football field. The other 2 were more behavioral, with a few marketing/analytical questions, e.g. there's a store with whole, 2%, 1%, skim, and chocolate milk, the owner wants to add soy milk, which milk to you take out and why (just be able to justify your response, there's no right answer). Then there's lunch with a current analyst, which is casual and just a fun time to talk about the role and the company! I don't think this happens often, but I then had another quick phone interview, and at the end I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • How much milk is sold in the US every year?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate, I was happy with the offer and excited to work for the company!

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen.

Phone screening, Behavioral Assessment, In person math exam, three interviews with five people, and then maybe lunch if you're lucky.

The process was very intimidating yet beneficial as well.

If you don't pass the math exam you can not move on with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current job? I didn't want to say anything bad about my current employer but how do I say all the reasons why I want to leave.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in May 2014.

Phone screening with recruiter. Very easy -- mainly just to make sure you are a competent individual to invite into the office.
    In Person Interview with multiple members of the research team. Very time consuming process. Most people are very nice, but it entirely depends on who you are speaking with.
    Mathematical test was okay. It is like basic, standardized high school math test. Don't take it too lightly -- review main algebraic concepts. All new hires need to pass at least 7 out of 10 questions.
    Case study -- terrible. No feedback whatsoever. I think it was a good job, but who knows. I think it counts very little in the overall interview process.
    n).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person – interviewed at Nielsen.

Two rounds of interviews, with a written assessment

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Nielsen.

Applied online, was asked for a phone interview to which I replied with available times and received no response. I followed up within the time frame in case the email was lost or something but still nothing. Very odd and unprofessional. It seems that if there were too many responses an email is an easy thing to send these days.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in January 2013.

After application, it was 2-3 weeks before hearing back from the team lead (not HR, for which I was glad) about setting up a phone interview. We set one up and discussed my background, resume, education, and general interview stuff: how do you prefer to think, etc. At the conclusion, the interviewer said he would like to set up another phone interview with another member of the team, and I sent available times. The second interview was more focused on the company itself, and what the particular development team (the one I would be joining) did.

Another two or so weeks passed before I received a message from the team lead, saying I'd moved forward to the written analytical test. It was sent to me by email on a mutually discussed and agreed-upon date/time, and I completed it at home, scanned my on-paper answers into a PDF, and sent it back to him. In a few days, I was informed I'd moved to the in-person interview.

The in-person interview was three parts, and each involved interviews with members of the team (again, I was thankful for minimal HR intrusion). One interviewer was the team lead again, with a mix of analytical and "soft skills" questions. The second was more technical and mathematical, getting further into the statistical and calculus elements of the position. The third was mostly personality- and behavior-based in the questioning.

I was told I'd hear back within two weeks, and I did. The interview was a Friday; I heard back in 13 days precisely. Unfortunately, I was not selected, but it was a very nice process overall. I even inquired to the team lead if there was anything in particular that made the chosen candidate, and he was kind enough to tell me what made the difference.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was a technical one involving the use of functionals. I can't remember the precise wording.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Nielsen in January 2013.

Applied online but also had an employee referral. Recruiter contacted me quickly by email. There was a phone interview, followed by an online skills and personality test, and then two rounds of three 45 minute interviews followed by a lunch with a current analyst.

The skills test questions were similar to LSAT questions. Qualitative logic type questions not quantitative or math skills questions.

The interview process took a very long time and the HR department seems somewhat disorganized.

Interview Questions
    • There were a lot of case study questions. Since I interviewed with 6 different people I got a wide variety of standard interview questions.

One interviewer gave me his pen and asked me to sell it to him.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in October 2012.

I submit an application online and was contacted by the recruiter. There were two phone conversations and then they assigned a case study to test my aptitude. The case study provided a data set and the instructions to turn it into a 15-slide presentation. After the case study, I was flown into the office for an in person interview where I met individually with three people on the team.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were all very standard and, though the process was formal, it was conversational.   Answer Question