Nielsen

Updated Dec 19, 2014

2.9

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in August 2010.

I only rated the process difficult because of the assessment. The hiring process is very structured, phone, assessment, goup interviews and a verdict. I took the asessment recently and it was much harder than expected. The test would have been much easier if I would have anticipated a difficult test however, I went into the test thinking it couldnt be too hard, wrong. Practice probability, breakeven points and profitability along with time management and reading comprehension. If you prepare well you should be ok. The recruiter opened up the phone interview by asking what I know about Nielsen. Seems like a great company to work for if given the opportunity.

Interview Questions
  • What do you know about Nielsen?   Answer Question
  • You are given a case study about a magazine article and asked to analyze the article and expand on the effectiveness.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in September 2010.

Soon after I submitted my resume, I was contacted for a phone interview. At this time, I was scheduled for an analytical assessment. I didn't think the assessment was that awful, but I did run out of time. There are a lot of business related math concepts requiring multiple steps. There were also 2 case studies. I think for a business, econ, or math background, this test would be a breeze. I found out a week after the assessment that I didn't meet the requirements. I guess it wasn't the job for me.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nielsen in October 2009.

The process varies depending on whether the candidate applies in the university channel or the "regular" channel. All candidates are pre-screened either in a on-campus in-person interview, or via a phone interview. Following that there is an analytical assessment which is required for all Nielsen analysts. If successful on both the initial interview AND the assessment, the candidate is invited for an all-day on site interview with 4-5 people from various areas of the organization.

Although the analytical assessment is not much different that the standard GMAT test, most candidates fail it.

Interview Questions
    • If I want to know how many passengers fly out of J.F. Kennedy airport every day, what do I need to do?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nielsen in September 2010.

Submitted Resume, called back for an on campus interview (~30-45 minutes long) and took a test (writing and calculations), then called back for an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of an overview session followed by breakfast with a current employee, then three 45 minute interviews, and finally a group Q&A session. They later called back and offered me the job.

Interview Questions
    • The on campus interview was a fairly straightforward interview, except for when the interviewer pulled out a page of data, explained the background for it, and asked me to walk him through how I'd determine which of 5 items to pull from the shelf and which to put more support behind.

None of the individual on site interview questions were particularly difficult, but they covered a broad range of question types.

The first was a fairly standard interview with some behavioral questions (strengths and weaknesses, tell me about a time when you ___, tell me more about this item on your resume, why are you interested in this job, why do you think you'd be a good fit, etc.).

The second was primarily designed to assess how I think/analyze things (give an example of a good and bad ad campaign, what questionable assumptions does this ad make, how would you figure out how many dollar bills would fit in the Empire State building, if you have 2 baskets of black and red balls, how would you arrange those balls to have the greatest chance of someone picking a red ball at random, etc.)

The third seemed to be designed to assess which area of the company would be the best fit, whether my skills and interests are a good match for the company, and if it's in line with what I'm looking for in a job.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person – interviewed at Nielsen.

Two rounds of interviews, with a written assessment

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nielsen in July 2014.

very impressed at the way things work in Nielsen company, contacted immediately after the test for the results. very quick, clear and crisp. only one thing I did not understand is why dont they allow to sit for all the tests? i am sure many of you'l will agree with me...........having studied 5 years of statsistics you wont be judged on it and wont be allowed to give test unless you clear Maths and English, that too with 70%.
    goodluck to all trying for this company
    it isnt everybody's cup of tea, but one should always give it a try.

Interview Questions
    • nothing is difficult if you study hard core for aptitude tests, but after achieving your masters degree in a particular subject one often sidelines aptitude, so only advice is go for it the harder way!!!.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in August 2014.

Was contacted by an HR rep about a month after submitting my application online. Had a phone interview in the following days, which was easy and nothing out of the ordinary, although be prepared for "give an example of a time you had to explain a complex topic in simple terms". After that, there was an online assessment, which consisted of both personality questions, as well as a series of logic questions (the kind where you are given some info and have to put events in the correct order). You get 3 minutes per logic question. I was then contacted the following week for an on-site interview and exam. The exam is 1 hour, 10 questions (with sub parts) and not challenging if you've read the posts on here and prepared for the topics. Then there were three 45-minute interviews. The questions really depend on the interviewer. My first one was very heavy on the analytical questions, e.g. you have 15 minutes and a ruler, how do you measure how many blades of grass are on a football field. The other 2 were more behavioral, with a few marketing/analytical questions, e.g. there's a store with whole, 2%, 1%, skim, and chocolate milk, the owner wants to add soy milk, which milk to you take out and why (just be able to justify your response, there's no right answer). Then there's lunch with a current analyst, which is casual and just a fun time to talk about the role and the company! I don't think this happens often, but I then had another quick phone interview, and at the end I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • How much milk is sold in the US every year?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate, I was happy with the offer and excited to work for the company!

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nielsen in October 2014.

The hiring process comprised of aptitude test and PI. Before the aptitude test detailed presentation about the company and the role offered were given, the company people were open to all kind of questions. The aptitude test comprised of Quant, two short cases (one on interpretation of a sample research finding and other about suggestions on a new product launch) and verbal (mainly error correction).
    Based on the aptitude marks candidates were shortlisted for PI. Quant has the maximum weightage.
    The PI had three rounds comprising of technical(about research, some situations were also given) and HR questions (all sort of questions about you and few questions about the company and profile offered).
    Selection was done after a short interaction with the VP.

Interview Questions
    • Convince Apple Inc. to opt for market research as a client of Nielsen.
      Name of CEO of Nielsen India.

Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nielsen in February 2012.

the process was pretty straight forward and interviewee seeked for interest on research. The interview was very normal and had no twists at all. Some questions from my graduation subjects were also asked and some current issues were discussed

Interview Questions
    • when do you study during an ordinary day in your life   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in January 2013.

After application, it was 2-3 weeks before hearing back from the team lead (not HR, for which I was glad) about setting up a phone interview. We set one up and discussed my background, resume, education, and general interview stuff: how do you prefer to think, etc. At the conclusion, the interviewer said he would like to set up another phone interview with another member of the team, and I sent available times. The second interview was more focused on the company itself, and what the particular development team (the one I would be joining) did.

Another two or so weeks passed before I received a message from the team lead, saying I'd moved forward to the written analytical test. It was sent to me by email on a mutually discussed and agreed-upon date/time, and I completed it at home, scanned my on-paper answers into a PDF, and sent it back to him. In a few days, I was informed I'd moved to the in-person interview.

The in-person interview was three parts, and each involved interviews with members of the team (again, I was thankful for minimal HR intrusion). One interviewer was the team lead again, with a mix of analytical and "soft skills" questions. The second was more technical and mathematical, getting further into the statistical and calculus elements of the position. The third was mostly personality- and behavior-based in the questioning.

I was told I'd hear back within two weeks, and I did. The interview was a Friday; I heard back in 13 days precisely. Unfortunately, I was not selected, but it was a very nice process overall. I even inquired to the team lead if there was anything in particular that made the chosen candidate, and he was kind enough to tell me what made the difference.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was a technical one involving the use of functionals. I can't remember the precise wording.   Answer Question