Nielsen Research Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in February 2015.

There were a few steps to the process for Nielsen.

1) Application and aptitude test. The test was designed to get an idea of your workplace personality, and there were several logic questions designed to test your conceptual skills.

2) First interview. This interview was held at my university, and it was fairly basic. The two interviewers asked me about my job experience, why I wanted to work for Nielsen, and a couple analytical questions to see my thought process and problem solving skills.

3) The final round was at the actual Nielsen office. I was put up in a hotel the night before, and then had a superday. There were 3 consecutive 1 on 1 interviews, each for 45 minutes. They were similar in structure, each asking about different work situations I had been in, why I wanted Nielsen, and one analytical question. The interviewers were personable and great! Some recently hired analysts then brought us out to lunch and we could ask specific questions about the job.

I found out within 48 hours that I was being offered a position. I would recommend doing lots of research on the company, and make sure you have a passion for Nielsen and everything they do. That will make you stand out from the crowd.

Interview Questions
  • Pick a food or beverage product and decide how you would change it. What would you need to know in order to market the new product and how would you go about promoting it?   Answer Question
  • Coca-Cola has released a new line of Strawberry Coke, and consumers say that it tastes really good. However, first quarter sales are much lower than forecasted. What factors could have influenced this, and what reasons might there be lower sales?   Answer Question
  • Assume there are 25,000 students at your university. Approximately how many bus trips are taken by students every year?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indi, Karnataka (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Indi, Karnataka (India)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nielsen in April 2014.

good stats case study , business studies related ques ... hr interview applied through my college career center online within a few days I was contacted to schedule a time i was available to interview on campus. I was interviewed on campus it was mostly a behavioral interview with one or two theoretical consulting questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in May 2014.

Phone screening with recruiter. Very easy -- mainly just to make sure you are a competent individual to invite into the office.
    In Person Interview with multiple members of the research team. Very time consuming process. Most people are very nice, but it entirely depends on who you are speaking with.
    Mathematical test was okay. It is like basic, standardized high school math test. Don't take it too lightly -- review main algebraic concepts. All new hires need to pass at least 7 out of 10 questions.
    Case study -- terrible. No feedback whatsoever. I think it was a good job, but who knows. I think it counts very little in the overall interview process.
    n).

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen.

Got contacted by an HR, no phone interview and go straight to onsite. The onsite interviews were 5 1:1 30mins, nothing difficult or unexpected, but you need to show strong interest in the particular role. They are quite laid-back on hiring process, slow replies.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nielsen in September 2010.

Submitted Resume, called back for an on campus interview (~30-45 minutes long) and took a test (writing and calculations), then called back for an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of an overview session followed by breakfast with a current employee, then three 45 minute interviews, and finally a group Q&A session. They later called back and offered me the job.

Interview Questions
    • The on campus interview was a fairly straightforward interview, except for when the interviewer pulled out a page of data, explained the background for it, and asked me to walk him through how I'd determine which of 5 items to pull from the shelf and which to put more support behind.

None of the individual on site interview questions were particularly difficult, but they covered a broad range of question types.

The first was a fairly standard interview with some behavioral questions (strengths and weaknesses, tell me about a time when you ___, tell me more about this item on your resume, why are you interested in this job, why do you think you'd be a good fit, etc.).

The second was primarily designed to assess how I think/analyze things (give an example of a good and bad ad campaign, what questionable assumptions does this ad make, how would you figure out how many dollar bills would fit in the Empire State building, if you have 2 baskets of black and red balls, how would you arrange those balls to have the greatest chance of someone picking a red ball at random, etc.)

The third seemed to be designed to assess which area of the company would be the best fit, whether my skills and interests are a good match for the company, and if it's in line with what I'm looking for in a job.

Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nielsen in October 2014.

The hiring process comprised of aptitude test and PI. Before the aptitude test detailed presentation about the company and the role offered were given, the company people were open to all kind of questions. The aptitude test comprised of Quant, two short cases (one on interpretation of a sample research finding and other about suggestions on a new product launch) and verbal (mainly error correction).
    Based on the aptitude marks candidates were shortlisted for PI. Quant has the maximum weightage.
    The PI had three rounds comprising of technical(about research, some situations were also given) and HR questions (all sort of questions about you and few questions about the company and profile offered).
    Selection was done after a short interaction with the VP.

Interview Questions
    • Convince Apple Inc. to opt for market research as a client of Nielsen.
      Name of CEO of Nielsen India.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in August 2014.

Was contacted by an HR rep about a month after submitting my application online. Had a phone interview in the following days, which was easy and nothing out of the ordinary, although be prepared for "give an example of a time you had to explain a complex topic in simple terms". After that, there was an online assessment, which consisted of both personality questions, as well as a series of logic questions (the kind where you are given some info and have to put events in the correct order). You get 3 minutes per logic question. I was then contacted the following week for an on-site interview and exam. The exam is 1 hour, 10 questions (with sub parts) and not challenging if you've read the posts on here and prepared for the topics. Then there were three 45-minute interviews. The questions really depend on the interviewer. My first one was very heavy on the analytical questions, e.g. you have 15 minutes and a ruler, how do you measure how many blades of grass are on a football field. The other 2 were more behavioral, with a few marketing/analytical questions, e.g. there's a store with whole, 2%, 1%, skim, and chocolate milk, the owner wants to add soy milk, which milk to you take out and why (just be able to justify your response, there's no right answer). Then there's lunch with a current analyst, which is casual and just a fun time to talk about the role and the company! I don't think this happens often, but I then had another quick phone interview, and at the end I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • How much milk is sold in the US every year?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate, I was happy with the offer and excited to work for the company!

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nielsen in July 2014.

very impressed at the way things work in Nielsen company, contacted immediately after the test for the results. very quick, clear and crisp. only one thing I did not understand is why dont they allow to sit for all the tests? i am sure many of you'l will agree with me...........having studied 5 years of statsistics you wont be judged on it and wont be allowed to give test unless you clear Maths and English, that too with 70%.
    goodluck to all trying for this company
    it isnt everybody's cup of tea, but one should always give it a try.

Interview Questions
    • nothing is difficult if you study hard core for aptitude tests, but after achieving your masters degree in a particular subject one often sidelines aptitude, so only advice is go for it the harder way!!!.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen in October 2012.

I submit an application online and was contacted by the recruiter. There were two phone conversations and then they assigned a case study to test my aptitude. The case study provided a data set and the instructions to turn it into a 15-slide presentation. After the case study, I was flown into the office for an in person interview where I met individually with three people on the team.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were all very standard and, though the process was formal, it was conversational.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen.

Phone screening, Behavioral Assessment, In person math exam, three interviews with five people, and then maybe lunch if you're lucky.

The process was very intimidating yet beneficial as well.

If you don't pass the math exam you can not move on with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current job? I didn't want to say anything bad about my current employer but how do I say all the reasons why I want to leave.   Answer Question