Nielsen Research Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied online but also had an employee referral. Recruiter contacted me quickly by email. There was a phone interview, followed by an online skills and personality test, and then two rounds of three 45 minute interviews followed by a lunch with a current analyst. The skills test questions were similar to LSAT questions. Qualitative logic type questions not quantitative or math skills questions. The interview process took a very long time and the HR department seems somewhat disorganized.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of case study questions. Since I interviewed with 6 different people I got a wide variety of standard interview questions. One interviewer gave me his pen and asked me to sell it to him.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH) in January 2013.

Interview

After application, it was 2-3 weeks before hearing back from the team lead (not HR, for which I was glad) about setting up a phone interview. We set one up and discussed my background, resume, education, and general interview stuff: how do you prefer to think, etc. At the conclusion, the interviewer said he would like to set up another phone interview with another member of the team, and I sent available times. The second interview was more focused on the company itself, and what the particular development team (the one I would be joining) did. Another two or so weeks passed before I received a message from the team lead, saying I'd moved forward to the written analytical test. It was sent to me by email on a mutually discussed and agreed-upon date/time, and I completed it at home, scanned my on-paper answers into a PDF, and sent it back to him. In a few days, I was informed I'd moved to the in-person interview. The in-person interview was three parts, and each involved interviews with members of the team (again, I was thankful for minimal HR intrusion). One interviewer was the team lead again, with a mix of analytical and "soft skills" questions. The second was more technical and mathematical, getting further into the statistical and calculus elements of the position. The third was mostly personality- and behavior-based in the questioning. I was told I'd hear back within two weeks, and I did. The interview was a Friday; I heard back in 13 days precisely. Unfortunately, I was not selected, but it was a very nice process overall. I even inquired to the team lead if there was anything in particular that made the chosen candidate, and he was kind enough to tell me what made the difference.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was a technical one involving the use of functionals. I can't remember the precise wording.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

I submit an application online and was contacted by the recruiter. There were two phone conversations and then they assigned a case study to test my aptitude. The case study provided a data set and the instructions to turn it into a 15-slide presentation. After the case study, I was flown into the office for an in person interview where I met individually with three people on the team.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were all very standard and, though the process was formal, it was conversational.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Referral. Phone Interview. Invited for assessment at local office. Didn't pass the assessment and was notified that I would not be moving forward.

Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nielsen (Parsippany, NJ) in December 2011.

Interview

Initial interview was on-campus with one Nielsen employee from NYC with a required analytical assessment. The assessment is consistent with the other example problems posted here and was very simple SAT-I-level stuff. I received a follow-up about one or two weeks later with a request to set up a an on-site interview a week or two after the call. The on-site interview comprised interviews with three people. After another week of downtime I received an invitation to come in again for another set of interviews (three, again). The culture seems very laid back from my impression of the employees in the interview. They are very nice and genuinely enjoy what they do. I declined the second on-site interview because my impression from the long downtimes between interviews was that the company might be a little too bureaucratic for my desires, and I was growing wearisome of the interview process. Clearly they want the candidate to be a strong fit but I think two three-round onsites after the initial on-campus is a little too much for me personally. Overall the people are very nice but the interview process is far too long. I was unimpressed since I was aiming for a January 2012 start date.

Interview Questions

• <firm> needs to increase sales. What kind of methods can they use to determine effectiveness of new product/promotion?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

After submitting an application online I was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks later who scheduled a phone screen. After the initial 30 minute phone interview I was brought in the following week for a couple of one-on-one interviews and a math test that consisted of word problems. About a week later I was asked to complete a case study, but I had already accepted another offer so I was unable to continue with the recruiting process. Nielsen seemed like an interesting place to work with many different types of research going on, and everyone I met with was very pleasant and easy to talk to. However, the recruiting process is excruciatingly slow.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging aspect of your last job?   Answer Question
    • What specific skills do you think you could bring to this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH) in September 2010.

Interview

Submitted Resume, called back for an on campus interview (~30-45 minutes long) and took a test (writing and calculations), then called back for an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of an overview session followed by breakfast with a current employee, then three 45 minute interviews, and finally a group Q&A session. They later called back and offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• The on campus interview was a fairly straightforward interview, except for when the interviewer pulled out a page of data, explained the background for it, and asked me to walk him through how I'd determine which of 5 items to pull from the shelf and which to put more support behind. None of the individual on site interview questions were particularly difficult, but they covered a broad range of question types. The first was a fairly standard interview with some behavioral questions (strengths and weaknesses, tell me about a time when you ___, tell me more about this item on your resume, why are you interested in this job, why do you think you'd be a good fit, etc.). The second was primarily designed to assess how I think/analyze things (give an example of a good and bad ad campaign, what questionable assumptions does this ad make, how would you figure out how many dollar bills would fit in the Empire State building, if you have 2 baskets of black and red balls, how would you arrange those balls to have the greatest chance of someone picking a red ball at random, etc.) The third seemed to be designed to assess which area of the company would be the best fit, whether my skills and interests are a good match for the company, and if it's in line with what I'm looking for in a job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in September 2010.

Interview

Soon after I submitted my resume, I was contacted for a phone interview. At this time, I was scheduled for an analytical assessment. I didn't think the assessment was that awful, but I did run out of time. There are a lot of business related math concepts requiring multiple steps. There were also 2 case studies. I think for a business, econ, or math background, this test would be a breeze. I found out a week after the assessment that I didn't meet the requirements. I guess it wasn't the job for me.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in August 2010.

Interview

I only rated the process difficult because of the assessment. The hiring process is very structured, phone, assessment, goup interviews and a verdict. I took the asessment recently and it was much harder than expected. The test would have been much easier if I would have anticipated a difficult test however, I went into the test thinking it couldnt be too hard, wrong. Practice probability, breakeven points and profitability along with time management and reading comprehension. If you prepare well you should be ok. The recruiter opened up the phone interview by asking what I know about Nielsen. Seems like a great company to work for if given the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Nielsen?   Answer Question
    • You are given a case study about a magazine article and asked to analyze the article and expand on the effectiveness.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nielsen (Westport, CT) in June 2010.

Interview

I heard about the position from a personal referral and applied through their website, so they emailed me back to set up a phone interview the next week. That went well so they called me in for an assessment of 10 math questions and 2 case studies in 90 minutes which was challenging, but as long as you move quickly you can complete. A day or two later they emailed me back to set up an in person interview, which consisted of 3 40 minute interviews and a lunch with a senior analyst. The interviews were part behavioral part analytical: some questions easier than others. The office seemed very relaxed and dress was business casual at best, friendly people and nice location.

Interview Questions

• They give u a magazine advertisement and you have to list positives and negatives of it.   Answer Question
    • Which do you choose: a cereal with very attractive packaging that users find okay or a cereal with ordinary, not-catchy packaging that users love.   Answer Question