Nimble Storage

Nimble Storage Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions

3.3

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nimble Storage in July 2013.

Got interview call through referral. Recruiter contacted me after 1 week. Scheduled 1st phone interview with manager, followed by 1st round of onsite interview consisting of 4 face to face interviews. Week after I was called for 2nd round of onsite interview - 3 face to face interview. Every interviewer asked to code on whiteboard and paper. Questions are not that difficult but lot of focus on getting code right, error handling and corner cases.

Other Interview Reviews for Nimble Storage

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Nimble Storage in November 2012.

Got a call from the interviewer at 2:30PM and asking whether I can take a call at 4:00PM with computer and internet access. Asked for next day, interview was schedules 2 days later. few minutes before interview, the interview was postponed. Was waiting for finally scheduled interview, got interview-canceled mail. Had to call the interviewer to confirm the interview schedule. Looks like the interviewer of not familiar with using Outlook, got around 10 mails about schedule/cancel the interview. Finally got a call from the interviewer 10 minutes after the schedules time.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked me to write C++ copy constructor and copy assignment constructor. One of the worst screen-sharing tool was provided. Wrote the code with usual mistakes of not checking NULL value of the pointer before allocating memory, but corrected the error. The interviewer looks like a copy-cat, arguing my code to check for copying same object in copy-assignment constructor. As per the interviewer we cannot compare 'this' pointer and '&arg' (arg was argument in copy-assignment constructor). I interviewer felt I am wrote some nonsense code without knowing C++ basics.I believe the interviewer wasn't familiar with C++ basics.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Nimble Storage in May 2012.

A recruiter scheduled a phone interview. The person who called me asked me to start by talking about what projects I was doing at my current job and how I went about the design and implementation. I gave an overview of what I did and he wasn't impressed - he said that I should elaborate. When I asked him if there was anything specific that he would like me to elaborate on he asked me to elaborate on one particular project that I had described. I went about answering it with him asking questions in the middle and ending with him mocking the implementation that I chose. It wasnt that there was anything wrong with it. My implementation went through a design review by atleast 6 colleagues and in one swoop he insulted not only me but all of them. He suggested an alternate implementation that wasn't any better than mine. He asked me a couple of questions on RAID and I tried to answer but I couldnt recollect them. When I said that i dont remember the details he kept on pressing until he finally changed the topic. He then asked me to describe in as much detail as possible what happens when you do the 'open' system call in linux and I did. But then he went overboard with his idea of detail; he even asked me how things worked in the x86 architecture. I said I didnt know and then he said that I lacked sufficient knowledge. Although he was impressed with what I answered and even said that he would like to talk more with me I got an email from the recruiter the next day saying I was rejected.

They should get their expectations right; I am less than 2 years out of school. The man on the other end of the line was much more experienced than me - atleast 10 years. If they are looking for people of the same exp level then call those guys instead of belittling others. This was a very negative experience.

Interview Questions
    • Elaborate in detail the implementation of the 'open' system call in Linux   Answer Question