Ning Inc

3.1

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ning Inc in May 2011.

Behavioral questions, Strategy Q about business. Focused on Acquisition, Engagement, Monetization, and Retention of users. Lots of q's about why I wanted to work on the Ning platform, build features for the Ning community. Also, q's about Agile, esp. from Eng Mgmt since they implemented 1 week sprint cycles

Interview Questions
    • Take a feature of our product and optimize it, draw it out in a flow chart   View Answer
    • Do you believe all sprint teams needs a Scrummaster?   View Answer
    Negotiated start date, salary. Not bad, a bit back and forth but all done very efficiently due great HR team. Even negotiated upcoming paternity leave time since we had a little one onf the way. Helped that NING at the time has no vac limit policy, so took a couple weeks around Dec holidays to spend time with our newest addition!

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ning Inc in November 2010.

There are two phone interviews, all programming questions. Just need to prepare some basic knowledge in Data Structure, Algorithms, and programming skills. Thy will ask you to actually code on a shared online document and ask some puzzle questions.

Interview Questions
    • Calculate fibonacci for a very large number, and try to write a program to calculate it.   Answer Question

Service Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ning Inc in January 2010.

Recruiter found me. Position requires intermediate to advanced coding. Recruiter had a set of HTML/PHP/SQL questions.

Interview Questions
    • What do the HTML status codes 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 represent   View Answer

Product Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ning Inc in December 2009.

Spoke on the phone with HR person first followed by a skills test. Then had another phone interview with who would be my supervisor/manager for more technical discussion regarding the role. Then invited to the office and had several 1:1 interviews with everyone in product team.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ning Inc in November 2009.

Overall good experience. The questions were relevant and understandable, though the questions seemed more geared toward feeling out cultural fit rather than job performance abilities.

The people I interviewed with were all very professional, but down to earth as well. I was treated with respect and it seemed as though the interviewers were genuinely interested in what I had to say. Ultimately did not get an offer though.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ning Inc in June 2009.

I dont understand why engineering managers are asked very low level technical questions and then base the screen selection based on the outcome of the answers... Understandably managers ought to be stong technically... but that is in the technology domain, not at a level a junior engineer needs to be proficient at.

Interview Questions
    • What data structures other than queue can be effectively used to create a stack?   View Answer
    • If all the keyes mapped to a single value in the hash table, what is the order of complexity to seach for the value   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ning Inc in November 2008.

It was before the layoffs in January 2009 so their interviewing practice might've been different back then. The overall impression the company was a big mess.

I was approached by an internal recruiter asking what time I can talk. Once I gave the time, I was told my skills were not relevant. After about a week I got an email it was a mistake and now they wanted me to take a test (they also assigned a different recruiter). They provided me with a description and links to the documentation that didn't lead to any documentation. I managed to find some documentation and complete the test. A couple of days later I couldn't find the same documentation because the links changed again.

Then I had a phone interview with some strange questions, with which I didn't have real life experience and I thought I busted it. But they told me I did perfectly, and invited me in person. I had an interview with 2 guys, one of which was never looking at me and always staring at the floor. The questions were more of a general type and puzzles. At one point the eye contact avoiding guy started to argue with me about an algorithm he didn't have a clue about and removed everything I wrote from the board. I didn't really do well, but they were kind of arrogant and it wasn't comfortable. Then I had an interview with another guy, probably more senior. He asked me the same question as the guy on the phone, I told him I already had it but he continued anyway. He refused to take a look at a real life application I had on my laptop. He kept repeating he didn't want to be late for a train, at this point I should've better let him go... Then I talked to some executive over a speaker phone. He asked me to write a very simple loop.

Next day I spoke with the recruiter, they didn't want to continue with me and I would never in my life continue with them. A couple of month later they had layoffs, one of the recruiters was let go and congratulated me I was lucky not to get in.

Interview Questions
    • You have a database table and millions of transactions. How would you scale it?   View Answer