Nintendo of America

Updated Jan 3, 2015
Updated Jan 3, 2015

2.8

Order Picker Interview

Since it was a temporary position I only had to attend orientation then come back to fill out everything and do a pee test then I was able to work right away

idk

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nintendo of America.

Folks were nice enough, although a bit disorganized. Interview questions were reasonable, but on the easy side. Walked through some real world problems. One interviewer did ask puzzle questions which I thought were passé.

Interview Questions
    • One question was how to test a particular system. Goal was to find all issues that had been found in the real world.   Answer Question

Aerotek Shipping Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nintendo of America.

Submitted my resume, took a drug test and BAM I had a job. Interview wasn't an interview but rather an orientation. Mass hiring. Background check was also required. Nintendo, being a kid oriented company, doesn't want certain people working for them.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest question by far was whether or not I was willing to wake up at like 4:30 AM to get to work every day M-F.   View Answer
    No negotiation. They told me it was a full time position, benefits and $10.00/hour. I responded with "Awesome, I like money."

Buyer (NES Merchandising NYC) Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Nintendo of America in June 2014.

I applied via LinkedIn. An interview offer was extended via phone. I spoke with Jodi. The interview lasted roughly thirty minutes. The questions were very boilerplate but engaging. I ended the call asking when I should follow up. Jodi emphasized she would let me know whether or not I was hired, that she lets "everyone" know. I never heard from her again.

Interview Questions
    • What company culture do you thrive in and how do you expect Nintendo's company culture to be?   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nintendo of America.

Initial phone interview; 2nd phone interview with supervisor; 3rd interview was in person with the entire department

Human Resources Interview

Information interview with some folks on the HR team. Provided a tour of thier fabulous office building and the opportunity to ask questions about working in HR there and company culture.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview process is pretty much getting pulled into their building and interviewed by a few different people. The ask everything from basic c/c++ questions, questions about projects you have worked on, logic puzzles, and they have you write a little bit of code. The interview is generally laid back and casual. The interviewers also share a bit about themselves and what they do at Nintendo of America.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest part of the interview would be for me recalling all the little facts about c/c++ that they ask. Study up on these. If you aren't good with logic puzzles make sure you go over those before you go to the interview. The hand written code they have you do is pretty simple though and should be no problem for anyone.   Answer Question

Bilingual Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Nintendo of America.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn for this specific position. He wanted to speak over the phone, so I agreed. I didn't hear back from him for about a week so I contacted him back on LinkedIn and it turned out he was out of town. That was fine.

We set up a phone conversation a week later and spoke briefly. During this time he told me about the overall requirements of the position and made sure this was something I wanted to pursue. Since it was, we set up a time for me to go to the offices in Redmond to take a translation test. That was set up for the following week.

I went in, took the translation test, met with the recruiter briefly, and that was that. He just made sure again that this is something I wanted to pursue, made sure that all my questions were answered, et cetera. The translation test involved translating one article-length text from Japanese into English and one from English into Japanese. Both had to be completed in an hour.

About a week after that I was contacted by the recruiter again telling me that I passed the translation test and was to go in and interview with a manager. That was set up for about a week or so afterwards.

The interview with the manager was in both Japanese and English and seemed to go fairly smoothly. I was given a document in Japanese and given 5 minutes to look over it before the interview asked me questions about it in English. The entire interview took about 30-45 minutes.

After that, it took another week or two before I was contacted for another interview. This was pretty much the last round interview. I went in, incredibly nervous, and probably botched the interview because of that. I was told that they would make a decision within a week or so but the recruiter seemed to have high hopes for me so I was hoping for the same.

A week or two passed and no word so I emailed the recruiter. No word back - again, a bad thing. Finally he called and said they went with someone else. He told me he sent my information to another / similar department for consideration.

A week later I was sent the translation test for that. I completed it, sent it back in, then went on a vacation for a couple of weeks. When I got back, I still hadn't heard back so I emailed the recruiter. No word back. I called him and he informed me that they decided not to go forward with my application but suggested another job that was now further off from what I wanted to do. I told him I'd think about it, and after considering it, I decided that I would not pursue it.

Over the next couple of months whenever something cropped up again, I'd apply for it, let the recruiter know, and then never hear back. It was disappointing, to say the least, and I was stuck in interview limbo for quite some time. While I was being considered, the process was great, but before I realized it my foot was back out the door and I had no way in, despite getting to the last round interview for the first position I applied for.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in Japanese how you would approach working as a "child" company under Nintendo's parent company in Japan differently than working at an independent company.   Answer Question

Digital Business Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interviewed with several people within organization and got a good perspective on the company and the role. Got an offer quickly after the interview

Creative Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nintendo of America in February 2014.

My first phone interview was with the hiring manager. I thought it was odd I skipped talking to a recruiter but seemed like a good sign. Hiring manager was very nice and interesting to talk to. I was told not long after that I'd be brought in for an on-site interview. When I asked about public transportation options I was told to avoid it at all costs - it basically was not an option. This wasn't very appealing to someone who lives in San Francisco and doesn't ever feel the need for a car. I had to borrow a car to get to the interview in Redwood City and the location of the office was pretty remote. I couldn't even figure out where you could go for a coffee or a sandwich on a break. It felt very caged in, and the office was really unimpressive and very eerily quiet for a gaming company. I just didn't get a great vibe being there. The staff was very nice though, and I think I could have worked nicely with them if I could get myself to go into that bland office park every day. A few of the interviewers mentioned how strict Nintendo policies are, making it hard to be completely creative each day. That was a big red flag for me. When the recruiter called me to tell me their decision she said they were going with someone with more experience, but wanted me to come back to interview for a smaller role. This kind of bugged me since it was obvious from my resume how much experience I had, but they still brought me on-site anyway. In the end, taking the smaller role was not worth the commute for me, and I thought it was a little silly I'd have to interview with the same department all over again.

Interview Questions
    • How would you get more young children to play Nintendo games?   Answer Question