Nintendo of America

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Redmond, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nintendo of America in November 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by HR through email. Had initial technical phone screen, then brought in for an interview with the developer lead. The developer was very friendly, but the HR person didn't seem to like me for some reason and seemed determined to not change from that position. Sat in a room with the two of them during the interview process.

Interview Question – The questions seemed very fair: stack manipulation and some knowledge-probing questions about XAML. There were no "puzzles" or "tricks" coding questions, they were all questions that might actually apply to a real situation.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview Details – Folks were nice enough, although a bit disorganized. Interview questions were reasonable, but on the easy side. Walked through some real world problems. One interviewer did ask puzzle questions which I thought were passé.

Interview Question – One question was how to test a particular system. Goal was to find all issues that had been found in the real world.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Aerotek Shipping Associate Interview

Aerotek Shipping Associate
Kirkland, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume, took a drug test and BAM I had a job. Interview wasn't an interview but rather an orientation. Mass hiring. Background check was also required. Nintendo, being a kid oriented company, doesn't want certain people working for them.

Interview Question – The hardest question by far was whether or not I was willing to wake up at like 4:30 AM to get to work every day M-F.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They told me it was a full time position, benefits and $10.00/hour. I responded with "Awesome, I like money."

Creative Development Specialist Interview

Creative Development Specialist
Redwood City, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nintendo of America in February 2014.

Interview Details – My first phone interview was with the hiring manager. I thought it was odd I skipped talking to a recruiter but seemed like a good sign. Hiring manager was very nice and interesting to talk to. I was told not long after that I'd be brought in for an on-site interview. When I asked about public transportation options I was told to avoid it at all costs - it basically was not an option. This wasn't very appealing to someone who lives in San Francisco and doesn't ever feel the need for a car. I had to borrow a car to get to the interview in Redwood City and the location of the office was pretty remote. I couldn't even figure out where you could go for a coffee or a sandwich on a break. It felt very caged in, and the office was really unimpressive and very eerily quiet for a gaming company. I just didn't get a great vibe being there. The staff was very nice though, and I think I could have worked nicely with them if I could get myself to go into that bland office park every day. A few of the interviewers mentioned how strict Nintendo policies are, making it hard to be completely creative each day. That was a big red flag for me. When the recruiter called me to tell me their decision she said they were going with someone with more experience, but wanted me to come back to interview for a smaller role. This kind of bugged me since it was obvious from my resume how much experience I had, but they still brought me on-site anyway. In the end, taking the smaller role was not worth the commute for me, and I thought it was a little silly I'd have to interview with the same department all over again.

Interview Question – How would you get more young children to play Nintendo games?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview; 2nd phone interview with supervisor; 3rd interview was in person with the entire department

Interview Question – What sets you apart from the other candidates?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources

Interviewed at Nintendo of America

Interview Details – Information interview with some folks on the HR team. Provided a tour of thier fabulous office building and the opportunity to ask questions about working in HR there and company culture.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Consumer Service Representative Interview

Consumer Service Representative
Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Nintendo of America in October 2011.

Interview Details – I had an initial 1:1 interview, was given some info on tests I had to go home and pass like a typing speed test, and what to prepare for in my second interview. They wanted me to be able to get onto one of their computers and tell them what kind of protection they had on their computer like WPA or WEP. I also had a group interview at my second interview. There were 3 of us and 2 of us got hired. The other guy couldn't figure out the protection on the computer, and his typing speed was pretty slow. I was offered the job on the spot at their computers. you then have a week or two of paid training. If you want to dazzle them and stay try to get into their WIFI class.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer and how did you resolve the situation?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview Details – Interview process is pretty much getting pulled into their building and interviewed by a few different people. The ask everything from basic c/c++ questions, questions about projects you have worked on, logic puzzles, and they have you write a little bit of code. The interview is generally laid back and casual. The interviewers also share a bit about themselves and what they do at Nintendo of America.

Interview Question – The hardest part of the interview would be for me recalling all the little facts about c/c++ that they ask. Study up on these. If you aren't good with logic puzzles make sure you go over those before you go to the interview. The hand written code they have you do is pretty simple though and should be no problem for anyone.   Answer Question

Bilingual Project Coordinator Interview

Bilingual Project Coordinator
Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn for this specific position. He wanted to speak over the phone, so I agreed. I didn't hear back from him for about a week so I contacted him back on LinkedIn and it turned out he was out of town. That was fine.

We set up a phone conversation a week later and spoke briefly. During this time he told me about the overall requirements of the position and made sure this was something I wanted to pursue. Since it was, we set up a time for me to go to the offices in Redmond to take a translation test. That was set up for the following week.

I went in, took the translation test, met with the recruiter briefly, and that was that. He just made sure again that this is something I wanted to pursue, made sure that all my questions were answered, et cetera. The translation test involved translating one article-length text from Japanese into English and one from English into Japanese. Both had to be completed in an hour.

About a week after that I was contacted by the recruiter again telling me that I passed the translation test and was to go in and interview with a manager. That was set up for about a week or so afterwards.

The interview with the manager was in both Japanese and English and seemed to go fairly smoothly. I was given a document in Japanese and given 5 minutes to look over it before the interview asked me questions about it in English. The entire interview took about 30-45 minutes.

After that, it took another week or two before I was contacted for another interview. This was pretty much the last round interview. I went in, incredibly nervous, and probably botched the interview because of that. I was told that they would make a decision within a week or so but the recruiter seemed to have high hopes for me so I was hoping for the same.

A week or two passed and no word so I emailed the recruiter. No word back - again, a bad thing. Finally he called and said they went with someone else. He told me he sent my information to another / similar department for consideration.

A week later I was sent the translation test for that. I completed it, sent it back in, then went on a vacation for a couple of weeks. When I got back, I still hadn't heard back so I emailed the recruiter. No word back. I called him and he informed me that they decided not to go forward with my application but suggested another job that was now further off from what I wanted to do. I told him I'd think about it, and after considering it, I decided that I would not pursue it.

Over the next couple of months whenever something cropped up again, I'd apply for it, let the recruiter know, and then never hear back. It was disappointing, to say the least, and I was stuck in interview limbo for quite some time. While I was being considered, the process was great, but before I realized it my foot was back out the door and I had no way in, despite getting to the last round interview for the first position I applied for.

Interview Question – Describe in Japanese how you would approach working as a "child" company under Nintendo's parent company in Japan differently than working at an independent company.   Answer Question

Digital Business Interview

Digital Business

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview Details – Interviewed with several people within organization and got a good perspective on the company and the role. Got an offer quickly after the interview

Interview Question – Why Nintendo if you're not a big gamer   Answer Question

Worked for Nintendo of America? Contribute to the Community!