Nintendo of America Interview Questions

2.7

Creative Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nintendo of America in February 2014.

My first phone interview was with the hiring manager. I thought it was odd I skipped talking to a recruiter but seemed like a good sign. Hiring manager was very nice and interesting to talk to. I was told not long after that I'd be brought in for an on-site interview. When I asked about public transportation options I was told to avoid it at all costs - it basically was not an option. This wasn't very appealing to someone who lives in San Francisco and doesn't ever feel the need for a car. I had to borrow a car to get to the interview in Redwood City and the location of the office was pretty remote. I couldn't even figure out where you could go for a coffee or a sandwich on a break. It felt very caged in, and the office was really unimpressive and very eerily quiet for a gaming company. I just didn't get a great vibe being there. The staff was very nice though, and I think I could have worked nicely with them if I could get myself to go into that bland office park every day. A few of the interviewers mentioned how strict Nintendo policies are, making it hard to be completely creative each day. That was a big red flag for me. When the recruiter called me to tell me their decision she said they were going with someone with more experience, but wanted me to come back to interview for a smaller role. This kind of bugged me since it was obvious from my resume how much experience I had, but they still brought me on-site anyway. In the end, taking the smaller role was not worth the commute for me, and I thought it was a little silly I'd have to interview with the same department all over again.

Interview Questions
    • How would you get more young children to play Nintendo games?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Nintendo of America in November 2013.

Contacted by HR through email. Had initial technical phone screen, then brought in for an interview with the developer lead. The developer was very friendly, but the HR person didn't seem to like me for some reason and seemed determined to not change from that position. Sat in a room with the two of them during the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • The questions seemed very fair: stack manipulation and some knowledge-probing questions about XAML. There were no "puzzles" or "tricks" coding questions, they were all questions that might actually apply to a real situation.   Answer Question

Product Testing Lead for Associate Staffing Interview

During the interview/hiring process you want to be honest and straight forward with what you're looking for. The more we know about you and your skillsets, the easier it is for us to place you into somthing you might enjoy.

Interview Questions
    • It's easy to talk about what you're good at, but not easy to talk about what areas you need to improve in. When you can talk about your areas to improve, we can usually provide you with some insite on how you may accomplish your goals.   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nintendo of America in July 2013.

It was the first HR phone call, but the HR person wasn't professional at all.
    Keep challenging my patience. I asked if there is any advancement and she said no, cause this is a temporay admin job, there is no way you get to the regular marketing team as a full time. At the end, i kidn of told her i'm not interested, and she sounds like I dont need you as well, so MESSSED UP

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nintendo of America.

Slow at times but when they want you they want you. Don't be afraid of negotiating. You don't ask you don't get. Remember though, it's in Redmond, not LA or NY way of thinking.

Interview Questions
    • You'll be fine, most don't know how to interview. If you get to the interview they already like you so speak intelligently and know they are looking for a personality fit foremost.   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nintendo of America in August 2012.

I was recommend for a Systems Administrator position within their Network Operations Center and, based on that, I was offered an in person interview. The interview process started with 15 minutes of questions by a recruiter and a panel based interview by the IT Manager and two Shift Leads. All in all, the entire process lasted a little over an hour.

Interview Questions
    • A mix of technical questions for both Windows and Linux and questions about my past experience at another Network Operations Center.   Answer Question

Corporate Services Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Nintendo of America in April 2012.

I applied on Nintendo's website. Two weeks later they contacted me to set up a time for a phone interview. The phone interview went very well; it felt more like a conversation than an interview. The recruiter was nice and we got along pretty well. We talked for a little over 30 minutes then he said they'd let me know if they wanted me to do the online skills tests. About a week later I got a call saying I made it to the next step and they would be emailing me the details for the online assessments. They tested me in Word, Excel, spelling/punctuation/grammar, and a writing sample regarding customer service. There were a few problems with the testing website but I was eventually able to get through the tests. Another week went by before I received a call to come in for an interview.

This is where it all went sour. The questions were all competency-based and focused on leadership and team development. I had no idea it would be so sharply focused on these skills (neither the job description nor the recruiter alluded to the importance of this) so I was unprepared. I knew I wasn't doing well when the interviewer mocked one of my answers. There was one question that I had absolutely no idea what she was getting at. She rephrased it and I still didn't get it. The other person interviewing me rephrased it and it still didn't click. Finally she said "Well let me just tell you what I was looking for and maybe that will help." Problem solving skills. Why she had to make it so convoluted, I'll never know.

I left the interview absolutely drained and knowing I wasn't going to get the job. The manager told me she'd for sure let me know either way. Two weeks later I contacted the recruiter because I hadn't heard anything. About an hour after, he emailed me back with the rejection letter.

Basically the interviewer (the manager of the department) challenged me on every single answer I gave and subtly made me feel inferior. I'm 34 years old and have years of experience leading people but the way I felt after this interview left me with a very negative impression about this woman and Nintendo in general.

I should mention that it's now 3 weeks after they turned me down and the position is still listed as accepting applications, so I do feel a bit of vindication that it wasn't just me who wasn't "good enough".

Interview Questions
    • Once you've delegated a task to a team member, how/when do you follow up? How do you know they need help?   View Answer

Consumer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Nintendo of America in October 2011.

I had an initial 1:1 interview, was given some info on tests I had to go home and pass like a typing speed test, and what to prepare for in my second interview. They wanted me to be able to get onto one of their computers and tell them what kind of protection they had on their computer like WPA or WEP. I also had a group interview at my second interview. There were 3 of us and 2 of us got hired. The other guy couldn't figure out the protection on the computer, and his typing speed was pretty slow. I was offered the job on the spot at their computers. you then have a week or two of paid training. If you want to dazzle them and stay try to get into their WIFI class.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer and how did you resolve the situation?   View Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nintendo of America in September 2011.

I initially applied to an advertised position on the Internet and was contacted a week later by an internal recruiter who conducted a 30-minute phone screen. Two more weeks went by and I received an email from one of their coordinators looking to schedule another phone interview with the hiring manager and a manager-level employee (together) similar to a phone panel interview. Approximately five minutes or so into the phone interview I had decided this role was not for me but put myself through the next 45 minutes of rapid-fire behavioral based questions for practice. It was obvious the job was going to be boring for me and more junior than I had initially thought when applying for the role.

Overall, good interview experience but nothing else. Just not a match for what I am looking for or whom I would enjoy reporting to (hiring manger seemed like a very annoying and petty person to work for).

Bilingual Localization Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nintendo of America in May 2011.

Was asked to describe my Japanese language qualifications, why I was leaving my job, how I would be a good fit in a Japanese working environment.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you leaving your current position?   View Answer