Nintendo of America

24 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Digital Business Interview

Digital Business

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview Details – Interviewed with several people within organization and got a good perspective on the company and the role. Got an offer quickly after the interview

Interview Question – Why Nintendo if you're not a big gamer   Answer Question

Product Testing Lead for Associate Staffing Interview

Product Testing Lead for Associate Staffing

Interviewed at Nintendo of America

Interview Details – During the interview/hiring process you want to be honest and straight forward with what you're looking for. The more we know about you and your skillsets, the easier it is for us to place you into somthing you might enjoy.

Interview Question – It's easy to talk about what you're good at, but not easy to talk about what areas you need to improve in. When you can talk about your areas to improve, we can usually provide you with some insite on how you may accomplish your goals.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Coordinator
Redwood City, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nintendo of America in January 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed first by phone with HR. After the screening process I was brought in and met with an Assistant Manager in the department and I had to return a second day to interview as the hiring manager was not available. It took several weeks to meet with the hiring manager.

Interview Question – All questions were very straight forward, i.e. what do you look for in a manager, provide your past experiences in role interviewing for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate. I stated what my previous salary was however at no time was I told a range in the salary that they would offer. I received the salary that I provided from my former position.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Marketing Assistant Interview

Marketing Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nintendo of America in July 2013.

Interview Details – It was the first HR phone call, but the HR person wasn't professional at all.
Keep challenging my patience. I asked if there is any advancement and she said no, cause this is a temporay admin job, there is no way you get to the regular marketing team as a full time. At the end, i kidn of told her i'm not interested, and she sounds like I dont need you as well, so MESSSED UP

Administrative Interview

Administrative
Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview Details – Slow at times but when they want you they want you. Don't be afraid of negotiating. You don't ask you don't get. Remember though, it's in Redmond, not LA or NY way of thinking.

Interview Question – You'll be fine, most don't know how to interview. If you get to the interview they already like you so speak intelligently and know they are looking for a personality fit foremost.   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nintendo of America in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was recommend for a Systems Administrator position within their Network Operations Center and, based on that, I was offered an in person interview. The interview process started with 15 minutes of questions by a recruiter and a panel based interview by the IT Manager and two Shift Leads. All in all, the entire process lasted a little over an hour.

Interview Question – A mix of technical questions for both Windows and Linux and questions about my past experience at another Network Operations Center.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Corporate Services Lead Interview

Corporate Services Lead
Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Nintendo of America in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied on Nintendo's website. Two weeks later they contacted me to set up a time for a phone interview. The phone interview went very well; it felt more like a conversation than an interview. The recruiter was nice and we got along pretty well. We talked for a little over 30 minutes then he said they'd let me know if they wanted me to do the online skills tests. About a week later I got a call saying I made it to the next step and they would be emailing me the details for the online assessments. They tested me in Word, Excel, spelling/punctuation/grammar, and a writing sample regarding customer service. There were a few problems with the testing website but I was eventually able to get through the tests. Another week went by before I received a call to come in for an interview.

This is where it all went sour. The questions were all competency-based and focused on leadership and team development. I had no idea it would be so sharply focused on these skills (neither the job description nor the recruiter alluded to the importance of this) so I was unprepared. I knew I wasn't doing well when the interviewer mocked one of my answers. There was one question that I had absolutely no idea what she was getting at. She rephrased it and I still didn't get it. The other person interviewing me rephrased it and it still didn't click. Finally she said "Well let me just tell you what I was looking for and maybe that will help." Problem solving skills. Why she had to make it so convoluted, I'll never know.

I left the interview absolutely drained and knowing I wasn't going to get the job. The manager told me she'd for sure let me know either way. Two weeks later I contacted the recruiter because I hadn't heard anything. About an hour after, he emailed me back with the rejection letter.

Basically the interviewer (the manager of the department) challenged me on every single answer I gave and subtly made me feel inferior. I'm 34 years old and have years of experience leading people but the way I felt after this interview left me with a very negative impression about this woman and Nintendo in general.

I should mention that it's now 3 weeks after they turned me down and the position is still listed as accepting applications, so I do feel a bit of vindication that it wasn't just me who wasn't "good enough".

Interview Question – Once you've delegated a task to a team member, how/when do you follow up? How do you know they need help?   View Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Redmond, WA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nintendo of America in September 2011.

Interview Details – I initially applied to an advertised position on the Internet and was contacted a week later by an internal recruiter who conducted a 30-minute phone screen. Two more weeks went by and I received an email from one of their coordinators looking to schedule another phone interview with the hiring manager and a manager-level employee (together) similar to a phone panel interview. Approximately five minutes or so into the phone interview I had decided this role was not for me but put myself through the next 45 minutes of rapid-fire behavioral based questions for practice. It was obvious the job was going to be boring for me and more junior than I had initially thought when applying for the role.

Overall, good interview experience but nothing else. Just not a match for what I am looking for or whom I would enjoy reporting to (hiring manger seemed like a very annoying and petty person to work for).

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to show leadership...   Answer Question

Bilingual Localization Coordinator Interview

Bilingual Localization Coordinator
Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Nintendo of America in May 2011.

Interview Details – Was asked to describe my Japanese language qualifications, why I was leaving my job, how I would be a good fit in a Japanese working environment.

Interview Question – Why are you leaving your current position?   View Answer

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nintendo of America in August 2008.

Interview Details – I began the application process through the company's website. They use Taleo as an applicant tracking system, so the interface is a bit clunky - but once you push through it, you won't have to re-enter your info. I heard back from their HR department (through e-mail) within a day. We set up a phone screen for later that same day. The recruiter was very nice, very easy to talk to. Nothing really out of the ordinary in the phone screen... pretty much the top 10 interview questions you'd find doing a Google search on the subject.

Next up was an in-person with the hiring manager. If I recall, it took just under a week to get that scheduled - or, rather, it was scheduled to occur within the week. This interview was conducted with my (soon-to-be) direct supervisor and dept. manager. It was relatively low pressure as engineering interviews go. The interviewers were very personable. It didn't feel like an inquisition the way that some employer's engineering interviews do. A lot of Q&A on basic engineering principles, win32 concepts, and some game theory. I was surprised that there was no whiteboarding, although I've since seen other interviewers use the whiteboard... Just got lucky, I guess.

Finally, they set up a series of cultural interviews. This is an organization that is fanatical about cultural fit. To clarify, they want to know about your personality, your fit with the Nintendo corporate image. The one thing that I regret is that I didn't use this phase to determine what effect having a Japanese parent company would have on the work culture. Not bad, just a bit of a shock. I would strongly advise asking about the cultural differences in this phase, if not earlier. Anyhow, in this phase I was asked to shoot the breeze with each of the department heads (those I hadn't spoken with), as well as the President and VP. They seemed to really just be looking at my perception of Nintendo product. The impression I got was that they aren't looking for, "geeks and Otaku," to abuse the quote, but you should still love the brand.

The offer came shortly thereafter.

Interview Questions

• Describe what is meant (in C++) by "template specialization." Provide examples.   View Answer
  • What is "subclassing" in Win32?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The first thing I would say is that the recruiters probably won't be able to give you specific details on what the company offers as total compensation goes. Most of them, maybe all, are contractors and not under Nintendo's benefits.

That said, the offer came in a bit low. The salaries here are a bit lower because they offer an individual performance bonus of up to 20% semi-annually. I negotiated up by a fair bit, since bonuses don't keep a roof over my head. Also, keep in mind that you'll lose 25% off the top on any bonus paid, thank you "Internal Robbery Service." And you still have to pay into FICA from what's left.

On a different note, they do offer some really good benefits. Their insurance options are top-notch. They offer matching 401k. Pension... Plus lots of perks.

For me, this is a really great company to work for. They really do take care of their employees. But don't be afraid to negotiate.