Nitro

Updated Dec 1, 2014
Updated Dec 1, 2014

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nitro.

The hiring process was very efficient. I had a couple of phone conversations with key decision makers. Next, I came into the office for in person interviews that only took a couple of hours. After that, I did a presentation to the technical management team based on an agenda provided to me with plenty of time to prepare. The presentation gave me a chance to make sure we all were on the same page as far as the role, needs, and expectations coming in. The final step was an in person conversation with the CEO. Sam is very engaging and passionate about the company. Speaking to him sealed the deal with me.

Overall, the Talent team are very quick with feedback and available anytime for questions. I never had to wait more than 24 hours for feedback. From beginning to offer, the process took about 2 weeks and would have been quicker if my schedule had permitted.

Interview Questions
    • There was not a specific question. Nitro is very aware that everyone has to be on the same page coming in. Most of my time was spent talking about my leadership and management skills / philosophy.   Answer Question
    Very quick. I talked about my expectations and they gave me a lot of information about benefits, etc. No surprises when the offer came. From offer to onboarding, it was 48 hours.

Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Nitro.

Had a friend refer me for an entry-level position. The recruiter spoke with me on the spoke and seemed extremely interested. Was brought on for an on-site interview where the recruiting manager cancelled on me, leaving with me the recruiter who I had already who spoken to and reiterated that I'd be perfect for the job. Got a call the next day saying they wanted someone with more experience, however I later found out they had already extended an offer to another candidate and they had accepted before I was brought in. Huge waste of time.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nitro in September 2014.

The process was quite polite and straight forward. A friend referred me for a PM position and within a week received an email to set up a screening call with a lead recruiter. The screen was about trying to match my experience to the position and finding a fit. Bit of questions posed:

Have you worked in this capacity before?
    Can you please give an example of things you have done?

After the recruiter confirmed there was a fit the next step was meeting with their VP since it was a senior position. The VP asked about my experience and familiarity with their product.

Questions posed:
    What my technical background, specific skills were?
    What software products I like?
    Whom I looked up to in the tech industry and why?
    What are the key things I identify in good PM's?

It was a pleasant experience though they were looking for more experience at that level of the role they were looking for.

Sales Development Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nitro in August 2014.

I initially reached out to Nitro via applying online. I was then contacted via email by Rachel to set up a phone call as my resume showed I may be a good fit for the position. She and I set up a time to talk, and I felt completely comfortable talking to her for the 20 or so minutes that the call lasted for. I got all my questions about the company answered, as well as answered all the questions Rachel had for me. She was very transparent about the company's culture, where they are headed and what they were looking for in a candidate. I felt completely at ease the entire time. She then thought it would be a good idea to have me come into the office for face to face interviews. I initially set up a time with her but later canceled as I was unsure about my commitment to the commute I would have to make every day if indeed I was offered the job. She was completely understanding and told me to reach out if anything changed.

Interview Questions
    • There honestly were no difficult questions when Rachel and I spoke on the phone. It was more of her telling me information about Nitro and gathering information about me. I cannot speak for the in person interview as I declined.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nitro in August 2014.

My interview process took a little longer than I wished but during the entire process I was kept in the loop, which was reassuring. During the process I fell in love with the hiring team as well as the company's culture. Every questions I had was answered thoroughly and whenever I sent an email it was responded to quickly. Rachel always made sure to keep me in the loop if there was a few days when we would go with out communicating. The company seemed like a wonderful place to work and the process was very casual, which I enjoyed because you really get the vibe of the workplace.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was pretty casual. Talking about background and interests outside of work. One questions was to name your top 5 strengths and then rank them on most important for the job.   Answer Question

I had another offer I could not refuse, but I left feeling incredibly good about the company and hope to watch it do wonderful things.

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nitro.

Everything was great until I answered the question "How old are your kids?" Others listening to the conversation, pointed out to me. After answering, it was obvious they lost interest.

Sales Development Representative Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nitro in June 2014.

I got contacted by Nitro about a week after sending my resume, and we set up a phone interview for the week after that. The phone interview was about 10 minutes and it focused on what the role is about and my personal experience. Few days later, a second interview with the recruiting and sales manager that was more about sales. They were always crystal clear with next steps, highly responsive, and transparent of how far into the interview process I was. Anytime I had a question, I was comfortable reaching out to the recruiter or the hiring manager and they were always quick to respond. It was intense in the sense that they are very competitive, but very nice and fair.

Customer Success Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nitro in May 2014.

The hiring and interview process at Nitro was wonderful. I originally met Rachel, a Talent Ambassador at Nitro, at the UC Berkeley career fair. Through talking with her and learning more about Nitro, I could tell the job would be an amazing opportunity for personal and professional growth in a fast-paced and fun environment. I originally applied for an internship, but since I was graduating, I heard back from Rachel about interviewing for a full-time position. Rachel was very helpful during the whole process and made me feel comfortable and confident. I was interviewed by people in my department, Andrew and Stephanie who were very friendly and explained the role and expectations well. Finally, I met with Gina the COO who made me feel at ease and the interview felt more like a continuous conversation, which was wonderful! I additionally completed a technical exercise which helped me gain insight into the product I would later be advising customers on. Overall the whole experience revealed the high expectations for Nitro employees- but also was laid back and personal, not formal or uncomfortable at all! I am so happy to join the Nitro team after an amazing interview and hiring experience!

Accounting/Finance Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nitro.

From the moment I applied to Nitro all the way to the last interview, the experience was very enjoyable and much less stressful than I thought! Rachel, the talent ambassador, got in contact with me shortly after I had applied and we set up a phone interview that took barely 30 mins and felt very comfortable. The next part of the process involved an onsite interview which was nowhere near as stressful as I thought it would be and the general atmosphere was very relaxed and welcoming. Everyone I met was also very open and friendly which really made the process that much better! The last part of the process involved a Skype interview and an in person meeting with the COO, Gina O'Reilly, which felt more like a casual conversation than a interview. Overall the interview process was smooth, simple, and by far one of the best I have experienced!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you faced a challenge and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nitro in April 2014.

Nitro's approach to hiring is pretty much the ideal hiring process you could imagine. Do not expect to be answering on a whiteboard how to search the MST of a huge graph or serialize a BST with parenthesis notation. Don't take me wrong, they want you to have good CS fundamentals but the product mindset is also very important.

First I was prompted to spend some time using the product and give them feedback. I sent an email with 3 points. What is the product for, what would I change or improve and which part of the product I would like to work on.

This went well so I went to 3 onsite interviews, one was to dig a bit more in my technical background, the other two were more of a cultural fit interview.

During the process I was invited to join an internal workshop and I spent an afternoon coding with other engineers.

I came back for an extra technical interview which consisted in giving an idea of how to design a system. I went home and did an iteration on the exercise and sent them an improved version.

Interview Questions
    • Do you want a beer? While I was wrapping up the tech exercise.   View Answer