Nokia

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
Burlington, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nokia in October 2013.

Interview Details – They contacted me after we talked briefly at a job fair. They were pleasant and after a brief conversation asked to schedule an in person interview. I drove down to their Burlington, MA location, and they saw me promptly. The interview itself was with four people; all software engineers and software architects. They asked me 4 main questions, most of which led to offshoot discussions. They started the interview off with a logic puzzle type question. After that it seemed they had a long list of questions, but they asked at what point I was at in my schooling and which classes I had taken; then asked all further questions based on my answers. i felt what they did ask was relevant to my schooling, and all of them were incredibly pleasant and helped me work through the answers when I wasn't sure.

Interview Question – The logic question at the beginning. The question was, "You're in a room with 3 switches. In the next room over are 3 lights. You can't see the lights in the next room. You can flip the switches as many times as you'd like, but you can only have one on at a time. How can you tell which light goes to which switch?"   View Answer

Reason for Declining – About a half hour before they made me an offer, my first choice company had called and made me an offer.

Engineering Specialist Interview

Engineering Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nokia in February 2011.

Interview Details – Long Interview. Several hours with multiple people. Irrelevant questions at times. Interviewers appeared to be unprepared.

Interview Question – "Why would you work here knowing that we are losing to our competition?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Fairly straight forward.

Project Leader Interview

Project Leader
Fargo, ND

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Nokia in January 2010.

Interview Details – Since, it was an internal interview, the managers who were interviewing basically knew already who I am and what I can offer in that position, however as they were having outside candidates as well, they needed to take notes on the answers I provide for their set of questions.
 Most of the questions were behavioral, while the other ones were more analytical with scenarios on how to budget a certain project, resolve challenging work load, deal with overtime. The behavioral questions were the standard ones, with an emphasis on dealing with subordinates, peers and leadership team.

Interview Question – The most difficult question for me was the one when they ask you when you had a conflict with someone in the work environment how did you deal with that. The thing, is that I did not have experience with conflicts (at least not at that time), so obviously it was hard to answer.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Nokia

Interview Details – Interview process usually consists of a phone interview followed by an onsite interview. Decision takes about 3 to 4 weeks depending on the position.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Just asked about projects listed on my Resume. Be confident.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Itasca, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nokia in April 2013.

Interview Details – A temp recruiter for Nokia reached out to me initially. Soon after I spoke with the engineering manager, and then later had a morning full of interviews with engineers. The interviews were almost all with 2 people and were mostly technical with some behavioral stuff mixed in. It was a bit exhausting but not the most difficult technical interviews I've had. They moved really fast and made me an offer that night.

Interview Question – The most difficult question came from a woman with a thick accent which made it difficult to understand her. I don't think she and I ever got on the same page as to what she was asking. However I think the other interviewer in the room understood that the question wasn't really well phrased (on top of the language barrier) and it didn't seem like a big deal.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for additional vacation and they said it was non-negotiable.

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Nokia in January 2014.

Interview Details – Initial Phone Screen: 2 weeks after application submitted
Phone Interview with would-be supervisor
Onsite Interview: with four senior managers

Follow-up: None. No email, phone call, or contact after in-person interview. No reimbursement for expenses incurred to travel and stay for onsite interview ($400+).

Interview Question – Unexpected Dialogue: Despite having gone through two phone screenings where I was told that my qualifications were extremely unique and very well-suited to the position, one of the senior managers interviewing me onsite used the interview time to tell me that I was not qualified for the position and accused me of lying on my resume. Additionally, he argued with me over each answer I gave to a question, even if the question/answer was opinion-based. (Example: Name a product you love and an improvement you'd make right away. When I answered, I was told that my "improvement" was wrong even though the interviewer had not heard of the product in my example.)

Unexpected Administrative Behavior: When the onsite interview was set-up, I was told that I'd be required to pay for my travel expenses and hotel up-front and that during my onsite interview, I'd be given reimbursement forms to fill-out and submit.
     *No forms were issued during my interview, so I had to follow-up with an email request.
     *I submitted the forms to the HR Assistant who set-up the onsite interview.
     *When I did not hear back from the HR Assistant or receive a reimbursement check after several weeks, I emailed to check on the status. Email bounced back, "user unknown".
     *When I emailed the HR Lead to check on the reimbursement status after email bounce-back, I received no response.
     *I still have not received a reimbursement check (over 2 months since onsite interview).
  Answer Question

Sharepoint Administrative Interview

Sharepoint Administrative
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Nokia in June 2010.

Interview Details – the process was easy. Basic questions on technology.

Interview Question – about future realeases   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Clerk Interview

Clerk
White Plains, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nokia in February 2013.

Interview Details – Being interviewed

Interview Question – If I was going to stay or get married and move away   View Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Nokia.

Interview Details – Process started as with any company basic screening by Human Resources. Deeper dive around key responsibilities for the position covered in secondary interviews with two separate potential peers. Direct and level up management interviews followed. Offer presented by HR 3 days after final interview with no negotiation possible.

Interview Question – How will you solve X problem. While some basic information was presented for the current challenge, it was in broad strokes that were too open to draw a specific course of action. When asking for additional information none was available.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation policy for that group.

Junior Simulations Engineer Interview

Junior Simulations Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nokia in July 2013.

Interview Details – Spoke with 6 people, in 3 groups. Interview went well in most groups. There was a lot of technical questions, which I should have prepaired for a little more! Though some questions were downright pointless, see below.

Interview Question – Why are manhole covers round? How many meter maids are in New York City?   View Answer

Worked for Nokia? Contribute to the Community!