Nokia Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014
Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.9

Architect Interview

Applied online and got a phone interview about a week and a half later. It was a panel interview with two interviewers. They went over my resume and asked a few technical questions. About a week later, I was given another interview but this time it was face-to-face. It

Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nokia in May 2014.

Was approached by recruiter a week after applying online. Set up an interview, then the hiring manager. Everyone seemed nice enough. After speaking with the hiring manager, I was invited on-site at the Chicago HQ.

The interview was okay, nothing really unexpected. But one of the interviewers started talking a conflict he had with another co-worker and that they were the position opened up... awkward.

After that, complete silence for 2 weeks. Finally, after multiple e-mails to the recruiter, he said something like they wanted someone with "better presentation skills". Not sure what to make of that. He also said no-one else was hired despite many people interviewing.

I'm not sure what they're trying to do out there. But just "scoping the market" and wasting people's time without a follow-up of any kind is extremely unprofessional. Awful experience

Project Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Nokia in May 2010.

HR is very dry. Hiring Manager did not shake hands. Interview was pleasant. Team interviewing lacked preparation and were not open to diversity. They will offer you the least amount possible.

Junior Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Nokia.

Phone screen, in person interview, offer. It took a little time from when I had applied to when I heard from them. After that it was pretty quick. Phone interview on day and then they set up an in person interview for the next week. Offer came a couple of weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • They had a bunch of brain teaser type questions like if you are in a lake on a boat with a rock and you throw the rock in the water, what will happen to the water level.   View Answer
    Non negotiable

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Nokia.

Phone Interview about technical stuff and projects worked on. Started off talking about phones and what can be improved. Make sure you are thinking outside the box and be prepared to answer scenario questions relative to your major.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burlington, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nokia in October 2013.

They contacted me after we talked briefly at a job fair. They were pleasant and after a brief conversation asked to schedule an in person interview. I drove down to their Burlington, MA location, and they saw me promptly. The interview itself was with four people; all software engineers and software architects. They asked me 4 main questions, most of which led to offshoot discussions. They started the interview off with a logic puzzle type question. After that it seemed they had a long list of questions, but they asked at what point I was at in my schooling and which classes I had taken; then asked all further questions based on my answers. i felt what they did ask was relevant to my schooling, and all of them were incredibly pleasant and helped me work through the answers when I wasn't sure.

Interview Questions
    • The logic question at the beginning. The question was, "You're in a room with 3 switches. In the next room over are 3 lights. You can't see the lights in the next room. You can flip the switches as many times as you'd like, but you can only have one on at a time. How can you tell which light goes to which switch?"   View Answer

About a half hour before they made me an offer, my first choice company had called and made me an offer.

Engineering Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nokia in February 2011.

Long Interview. Several hours with multiple people. Irrelevant questions at times. Interviewers appeared to be unprepared.

Interview Questions
    • "Why would you work here knowing that we are losing to our competition?"   View Answer
    Fairly straight forward.

Project Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fargo, ND
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fargo, ND

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Nokia in January 2010.

Since, it was an internal interview, the managers who were interviewing basically knew already who I am and what I can offer in that position, however as they were having outside candidates as well, they needed to take notes on the answers I provide for their set of questions.
     Most of the questions were behavioral, while the other ones were more analytical with scenarios on how to budget a certain project, resolve challenging work load, deal with overtime. The behavioral questions were the standard ones, with an emphasis on dealing with subordinates, peers and leadership team.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question for me was the one when they ask you when you had a conflict with someone in the work environment how did you deal with that. The thing, is that I did not have experience with conflicts (at least not at that time), so obviously it was hard to answer.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Interview process usually consists of a phone interview followed by an onsite interview. Decision takes about 3 to 4 weeks depending on the position.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Just asked about projects listed on my Resume. Be confident.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Nokia in January 2014.

Initial Phone Screen: 2 weeks after application submitted
    Phone Interview with would-be supervisor
    Onsite Interview: with four senior managers

Follow-up: None. No email, phone call, or contact after in-person interview. No reimbursement for expenses incurred to travel and stay for onsite interview ($400+).

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected Dialogue: Despite having gone through two phone screenings where I was told that my qualifications were extremely unique and very well-suited to the position, one of the senior managers interviewing me onsite used the interview time to tell me that I was not qualified for the position and accused me of lying on my resume. Additionally, he argued with me over each answer I gave to a question, even if the question/answer was opinion-based. (Example: Name a product you love and an improvement you'd make right away. When I answered, I was told that my "improvement" was wrong even though the interviewer had not heard of the product in my example.)

Unexpected Administrative Behavior: When the onsite interview was set-up, I was told that I'd be required to pay for my travel expenses and hotel up-front and that during my onsite interview, I'd be given reimbursement forms to fill-out and submit.
           *No forms were issued during my interview, so I had to follow-up with an email request.
           *I submitted the forms to the HR Assistant who set-up the onsite interview.
           *When I did not hear back from the HR Assistant or receive a reimbursement check after several weeks, I emailed to check on the status. Email bounced back, "user unknown".
           *When I emailed the HR Lead to check on the reimbursement status after email bounce-back, I received no response.
           *I still have not received a reimbursement check (over 2 months since onsite interview).
        Answer Question

Worked for Nokia? Contribute to the Community!