Nokia

2.9

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Nokia in March 2012.

The interview was good and actually I was on of the two last candidates, but it took a lot of interviews with diferent areas, IQ teste were challanging considering that even tough you have all the expirience most of this test are multiple choice with a time restriction, with a tight schedule, travels and other things, is hard to take this kind of test on a controled enviroment.
    Recruiter interviews are good for young profesionals but are useless when you are interviewing somebody with a long carrer path, most of the question are really silly or not relevant for the position, it is mor important have a verificable expirience insetad of this kind of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • When did you made a mistake or bad decision, what did you do?   Answer Question

Business Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nokia in March 2012.

Initially was contacted by recruiter. Then had two 1:1 telephone interviews. Was then called for onsite interviews twice.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nokia in March 2012.

I was contacted by the company recruiter and after two weeks I was invited for the face to face interview. The interview was really good. 3-4 people interviewed me and ask some OO questions, C# coding questions and some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was ok. Some OO and C# questions. One design question   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Nokia in February 2012.

They interviewed about 8 people. Someone from HR took each candidate back to a room and asked basic behavioral questions and briefly described what the mechanical engineer division was all about. Then they took 4 of the 8 people back and had 4 tables set up with 2 employees set up at each table. It was like a round robin questionnaire where you would sit with two of their employees and they would ask basic personality questions as well as a few basic engineering questions and then switch to the next table. They can pick up on if you are BSing your answers so if you don't know the answer just say you don't know. After that group of 4 was done they sent the next four candidates. They ended up choosing 2 out of the 8 candidates.

Interview Questions
    • If you have a refrigerator in an isolated room (no heat in or out) and left the door to the refrigerator open, what would happen to the temperature to the room? Would it go up, down or say the same?   View Answers (4)

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Nokia in February 2012.

I initially received an email from Nokia Human Resource department for an on site interview. Then I got barraged with 4-5 emails from various Nokia recruiters to fill different forms, especially the background check form. Before I had a chance to send my availability, HR scheduled an on site interview. I was on vacation and asked to be rescheduled. Nokia was interested to know if I needed work visa or help with filing for permanent residency. I had added “US CITIZEN” on my resume but no one reads resumes. I guess if the applicant is unemployed or needs visa, it works better for Nokia.

Here are the questions on one of the emails,
    1 - What is your primary motivation to seek new employment?
    2 - Why are you considering Nokia as your next employer?
    3 - Please tell us what you bring to the table to help Nokia's business reach the next level?
    4 - If an interview takes place, and an offer is extended, and you accept, when do you think you can physically start working at this location in this position?
    5 - Are you eligible to work in the United States?
    6 - Can you provide proof of your right to work in the U.S. within the first three working days?
    7 - Do you now have, or will you at some point in the future require, visa sponsorship (e.g. TN, H1-B, L visa status)? If yes, what is your current visa type and when was it first issued?
    8 - If you answered "yes" to question #7, are you currently in the Green Card Process? If yes, which stage? (This will help us determine if your case is portable)
    9 - What is your current or last annual base salary (do not include bonuses)?
    10 - What are your annual base salary expectations moving forward? (Do not include bonuses. At minimum, please provide a salary range)
    11 - Please summarize the work experience you have or had that makes you qualified for this position?
    12 - Have you or any of your previous U.S. employers received a deemed export license to employ you in the past?

On the day of interview, I was scheduled to talk to HR, then engineering and product managers, followed with a technical peer, and HR again. I spent about 20 minutes with the HR whose sole purpose was to find out about my present salary. I was expecting and looking forward to meeting with engineering/product managers, but two engineers entered… I tried to tune to their accents when they were asking questions about couple of projects on my resume. They were not prepared and scrambling to read my resume (they must have been the last minute replacements). After 30 minutes a technical peer entered who had a chip on his shoulder. At some point we disagreed about design concept/process and test procedures. Meanwhile he said that Nokia has filled all sr. design/engineering positions and are looking for lower level engineers. I was thinking, why am I here for?!! Then HR person stepped in. This time he wanted to know what type of salary they should offer me!!! This was so unconventional and backwards. Giving a salary base was like kiss of death. Definitely every company has a set salary range for each grade and position. HR was adamant to get the base salary #; he explained that Nokia did not desire to get into salary negotiating discussion (HA?!!!). I did not provide a number for salary and that was the end of my interview. Why did they waste my time with their totally illogical process and indecisiveness? Perhaps it is better not to be employed by a company that cannot properly make and negotiate an offer. This might be just one example of why Nokia is not able to compete with its competitors.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Nokia in January 2012.

Was contacted the week between Xmas and New Years.Phone interview consisted of speaking with two gentleman. One would have been the s/w team's manager and the other was his boss. This took place right before the New Year weekend. Phone interview went well, at the end of the interview the manager said they normally get together and talk and then tell HR the results of their discussions but, he thought it went so well they wanted me to come for a site visit. and could I possibly be available in the next two weeks. On the day being observed as the national holiday for New Years I received an email asking if I could fly out the following day. In order to show my interest and get it done attitude I said I could do it. I received flight confirmation at 9:30 p.m. that evening along with the itinerary for the interviews. It was required that you submit the answers to an online security questionaire and employment application before the interview. I spent four hours filling this out before the flight. (Note: they want salary history for the last seven years, this is marked as mandatory), addresses of all compainies, the name of your supervisor, the phone number, etc.. The flights they picked required me to take three days off of work. Amongst the many red flags starting to appear was the fact that the interview was less then two hours long. It consisted of talking to the main s/w manager, the two managers I phone interviewed with, and an HR person. (no team members, no tour of the facilities) I arrived at the hotel at 2:00 a.m. and arrived for the interview 10-15 minutes before the start of the interview the next day. After checking in with the frontdesk per the instructions, I waited. Finally, the HR person apologized and asked the status (he had walked by a few times as I was sitting in the lobby, waiting and waiting). I said I had checked in and was waiting for the first interviewer. He acted as if he didn't even know I was supposed to be there and asked if I had a copy of my itinerary. I told him I had it with me in electronic format but, then proceeded to give the names and times of each interviewer on the itinerary from memory, which seemed to impress him. He went searching for gentleman number 1. He came back later and said "well, you were supposed to talk to me second but, why don't we talk now while waiting for gentleman number 1". So, he went through his 15 minute talk and then we talked some more, and talked, and waited, and talked. Finally, he said, "I don't know what happened "gentleman number 1" is never late". (after I got back home and described the interview to a friend he said the one liner that pretty much summed up this whole ordeal; "gee, you would think Nokia would have heard of cell phones and they might have tried calling the guy"). So, the HR person starts walking me back out to the lobby, (to wait) but while on the way the HR person runs into the manager who I had spoken with on the phone a few days earlier. They huddle together for awhile and decide I might as well talk to him. So, we turn around and head back to the interview room, after about 10-15 minutes in strolls "gentleman 1". Since, he's the head of s/w, the attention goes to him, then about ten minutes later, the second gentleman from the phone interview strolls in. Now, there are all three of the gentleman there, about ten minutes later "gentleman 1" leaves. Things wind down and I'm asked if there are any questions. I ask him what if anything might be a concern to him, so I can possibly address it. He says, my lack of mobile phone development experience. I paused and was taken aback because I had asked about this during the phone interview. I brought it up and wanted to make perfectly clear how much mobile development experience I had. It was discussed during the phone interview and was not a problem at that time. I'm thinking to myself, I took three days off of work, flew 1,500 miles, and have been putting up with this disorganized interview and now you tell me this, after we discussed it earlier and it wasn't an issue three days ago. In hindsight maybe I should have said exactly what I was feeling at that time. Maybe, if you are currently not working (as the HR person said was the status of many current candidates) the disrespect I was shown due to their disorganization, would not be a big deal. Maybe, if you are local to the area then wasting an afternoon sitting around the Nokia lobby would not be a big deal. But, I flew 1,500 miles and took three days off of work due to their scheduling. My impression of the two gentleman whom I spoke with (phone interview and in person briefly) are that they would be quite impressive on a personal level. Bright and hard working. But, the disorganized, haphazard method which this was conducted left me feeling disillusioned with Nokia and disrespected.

Interview Questions
    • Design a system that would contact a caregiver if an elderly person would be in need of help. Then, would locate from a list of helpers the one closest to the person in need of help.   View Answer

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nokia in January 2012.

After a phone screen, I came onsite to interview. The interview was standard software engineering questions. One of the interviewers spent the entire interview texting on this phone which seemed awfully rude. After that interview, the recruiter called again to see if I could come down to the office for another set of interviews. After that interview, the recruiter wanted me to talk to the VP of Engineering. Lots of hoops to jump through.

It was a take it or leave it offer and I had to make up my mind in a day even though I was interviewing with other companies.

Lead Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nokia in January 2012.

They had two low level engineers interview me and ask me brain teaser questions. I think I answered them all correctly and did a good job. I was able to have a good organic lunch while at the facility. I liked the location and the interview room had a nice temperature.

Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nokia in December 2011.

Phone interview based on project and industry experience, pretty laid. On site interview involved Case interviewing style (consulting type interviewing) with the entire management team. They are looking for experience professionals and people that can work through challenging situations with solid business logic.

Interview Questions
    • Provide an example of a project you had success in.   View Answer
    Able to negotiate higher than initial offer, they are willing to work with you to get close to your historical compensation range.

Q&A Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Itasca, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Itasca, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nokia in November 2011.

Had two phone interviews; first was with a recruiter who contacted me and inquired as to my interest in my job and gave me a basic background of the job. The second was with the project manger who asked me a few technical questions(What is the difference between CSS and HTML, Why do you need CSS?). Finally, I went to the office and had a interview with 5 people in total(4 team members and the recruiter).

A few examples were,

1) If I was troubleshooting a browser, what would the steps I would take?
    A) First just do a basic sanity check and make sure it opens up. Second make sure all the functions that are advertised(Flash support, multiple tabs) work the way they are supposed to.

A) The answer he was looking for was that I document everything so people will have future reference.

3) Some basic differences between HTML-5/HTML 4.

Thats all I remember from the tech part.

Some of the behavioral questions were
    4) Since I have a degree in engineering and this job is not strictly engineering, how would I adapt?
    5) Why I wanted to work at Nokia?
    6) If I knew anything about Nokia's overall motto/goal?
    A) Bring internet to the masses.

Interview Questions
    • 1) If I was troubleshooting a browser, what would the steps I would take?   View Answer
    • 2) What is the one thing you do when you are troubleshooting/ What is the most important thing about troubleshooting? --This questions was kind of vague

3) Some basic differences between HTML-5/HTML 4.

Thats all I remember from the tech part.

Some of the behavioral questions were
      5) Why I wanted to work at Nokia?
      6) If I knew anything about Nokia's overall motto/goal?
      A) Bring internet to the masses.
        View Answer