Nokia

QA Engineer Interview

QA Engineer
Chicago, IL

Interviewed at Nokia

Interview Details – 1. Sent email.
2. Received response with 4 questions; I sent responses.
3. Called in for face to face which I nailed.
4. Received email 2 weeks later saying I was being offer employment but their legal team found a conflict of interest. (because i have a personal project i do for my skill improvement).

Issue: Being in the tech industry I have a side personal project for personal growth as of today, as many tech people do, and I told them about it, biggest mistake. Their legal team rejected employment for having this project without speaking to me or even taking to time to see if there is a conflict. The project has nothing to do with Nokia yet employment was rejected. Just shows a company that is so full of itself and legal teams who are far off from reality where a tech person in today's industry cannot do a side project to improve their skill when it has nothing to do with their business. What this tells me: Nokia wants slave employees who will only work for them and not do anything outside work or be passionate about technology. Other companies I interview with take the time to actually validate if there is a conflict and almost always the answer is no conflict. I was shocked by their legal team's decision.

Advice to Nokia: Hire smart legal experts who understand the tech industry. If you reject people because of side projects you will never grow into a quality company like Apple or Google where employees do side projects and thus increase work place contribution.

Interview Question – None. Interview was too easy.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nokia in March 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring process is typical for a tech company. You will be asked technical questions. I noticed though that Nokia actually cares about your background and will ask you questions about your work.

Interview Question – Do you have any example code or projects to show.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
India, MS

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nokia in January 2009.

Interview Details – its just normal software stuff

Interview Question – all are easy ones   Answer Question

Product Validation Engineer Interview

Product Validation Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Nokia in July 2010.

Interview Details – -Detailed
-Well thought out
-Considerate

Interview Question – - teamwork   View Answer

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nokia.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume online through university recruiting and received a call a couple days later. The recruiter was extremely nice and set me up with phone interviews with different team leaders to find a project that interested me. Overall process consisted of an general HR interview followed by team leader interviews about my experiences and their project availabilities. Both the team leaders and the recruiting staff were extremely courteous and intelligent people and the interviewing process was smooth and fast.

Interview Question – No tech interview questions in the form of "solve this problem or present this algorithm." Most of it was general chatting about previous projects I had done and my skill set in relation to the projects being offered for the summer. Very conversational and pleasant.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nokia in February 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty standard interview process with initial phone screening and then technical interview with a few members from the team. Since I was out of state, we conducted the "face-to-face" interview over Skype. The interviewers were all very personable and easy-going which they said reflected the general style of at least the department for which I was interviewing.

Interview Question – In the technical interview there were a few questions in regards to current problems they were facing for which I had to come up with the best solution possible off the top of my head. The best advice I can give for the technical portion is to just do your homework beforehand as you would with any technical interview so that you've got the relevant information fresh in your mind in case there's anywhere you need to dust a few cobwebs off.   Answer Question

Visual Design Intern Interview

Visual Design Intern
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nokia.

Interview Details – Was recommended to the hiring manager by a common connection. They evaluated my portfolio and asked me to do a phone interview with the manager and head designer. Was then asked to do a short design challenge, and present it to them in a face-to-face interview.

Interview Question – The design challenge was quite complex, and they were good about asking critical questions about my reasoning. But honestly, getting approved by their background checkers was the most challenging part.   Answer Question

Traffic Editor Interview

Traffic Editor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nokia.

Interview Details – Had two phone interviews, on the second one I got an in person interview request. I was interviewed by 3 different people separately and after about 48-72 hours I was told I had the job and there would be two weeks worth of paid training beforehand.

Interview Question – Can't recall, nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Said how much it paid on the offer with a 10% annual salary increase and annual bonuses depending on how well the company did.

Temporary In Human Resources Interview

Temporary In Human Resources
Rancho Bernardo, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nokia.

Interview Details – Okay. Panel style and pretty thorough.

Negotiation Details – Nokia has some longer term HR/staffing employees that were temps but seemed to run the show and rule the roost as unusual as that is.
  The actul negotiations were on my way out oddly enough, but probably because they were eager to fill the opening and I had another offer. Nokia's rate was a bit lower than my former salary, but the company and the job appealed to me AND it was full time and suppose to be at least for 6 months duration.

Well, it ended up ending before the promised time they gave me. (probably because their huge product launch did not get the results they were hoping for.)

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nokia in September 2011.

Interview Details – Applied via specific Nokia website. One interview containing technical & team skills.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question