Nokia

2.8

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Test Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nokia.

Applied at school job fair. Got a phone screen first, then an on-site interview with a group of about 8 potential interns. They had C/C++ tests, behavioral questions. Got selected within a week of the on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • The C/C++ test. At the time, it was like a college midterm.   Answer Question

Senior Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nokia in October 2013.

I applied online, and got recruiter/hr contacting me.
    I went through phone interview and then on-site panel interview.
    Had 4 groups in the panel interview: your prospective managers, your prospective peers, managers from other team collaborating with the team you applied, and HR.
    Questions included skill, experience, behavioral and conditional. Difficulty is easy to average. Not too long, only 3 hours.

I was satisfied so directly accepted.

Junior Simulations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nokia in July 2013.

Spoke with 6 people, in 3 groups. Interview went well in most groups. There was a lot of technical questions, which I should have prepaired for a little more! Though some questions were downright pointless, see below.

Interview Questions
    • Why are manhole covers round? How many meter maids are in New York City?   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Nokia in February 2012.

They interviewed about 8 people. Someone from HR took each candidate back to a room and asked basic behavioral questions and briefly described what the mechanical engineer division was all about. Then they took 4 of the 8 people back and had 4 tables set up with 2 employees set up at each table. It was like a round robin questionnaire where you would sit with two of their employees and they would ask basic personality questions as well as a few basic engineering questions and then switch to the next table. They can pick up on if you are BSing your answers so if you don't know the answer just say you don't know. After that group of 4 was done they sent the next four candidates. They ended up choosing 2 out of the 8 candidates.

Interview Questions
    • If you have a refrigerator in an isolated room (no heat in or out) and left the door to the refrigerator open, what would happen to the temperature to the room? Would it go up, down or say the same?   View Answers (4)

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Nokia in January 2012.

Was contacted the week between Xmas and New Years.Phone interview consisted of speaking with two gentleman. One would have been the s/w team's manager and the other was his boss. This took place right before the New Year weekend. Phone interview went well, at the end of the interview the manager said they normally get together and talk and then tell HR the results of their discussions but, he thought it went so well they wanted me to come for a site visit. and could I possibly be available in the next two weeks. On the day being observed as the national holiday for New Years I received an email asking if I could fly out the following day. In order to show my interest and get it done attitude I said I could do it. I received flight confirmation at 9:30 p.m. that evening along with the itinerary for the interviews. It was required that you submit the answers to an online security questionaire and employment application before the interview. I spent four hours filling this out before the flight. (Note: they want salary history for the last seven years, this is marked as mandatory), addresses of all compainies, the name of your supervisor, the phone number, etc.. The flights they picked required me to take three days off of work. Amongst the many red flags starting to appear was the fact that the interview was less then two hours long. It consisted of talking to the main s/w manager, the two managers I phone interviewed with, and an HR person. (no team members, no tour of the facilities) I arrived at the hotel at 2:00 a.m. and arrived for the interview 10-15 minutes before the start of the interview the next day. After checking in with the frontdesk per the instructions, I waited. Finally, the HR person apologized and asked the status (he had walked by a few times as I was sitting in the lobby, waiting and waiting). I said I had checked in and was waiting for the first interviewer. He acted as if he didn't even know I was supposed to be there and asked if I had a copy of my itinerary. I told him I had it with me in electronic format but, then proceeded to give the names and times of each interviewer on the itinerary from memory, which seemed to impress him. He went searching for gentleman number 1. He came back later and said "well, you were supposed to talk to me second but, why don't we talk now while waiting for gentleman number 1". So, he went through his 15 minute talk and then we talked some more, and talked, and waited, and talked. Finally, he said, "I don't know what happened "gentleman number 1" is never late". (after I got back home and described the interview to a friend he said the one liner that pretty much summed up this whole ordeal; "gee, you would think Nokia would have heard of cell phones and they might have tried calling the guy"). So, the HR person starts walking me back out to the lobby, (to wait) but while on the way the HR person runs into the manager who I had spoken with on the phone a few days earlier. They huddle together for awhile and decide I might as well talk to him. So, we turn around and head back to the interview room, after about 10-15 minutes in strolls "gentleman 1". Since, he's the head of s/w, the attention goes to him, then about ten minutes later, the second gentleman from the phone interview strolls in. Now, there are all three of the gentleman there, about ten minutes later "gentleman 1" leaves. Things wind down and I'm asked if there are any questions. I ask him what if anything might be a concern to him, so I can possibly address it. He says, my lack of mobile phone development experience. I paused and was taken aback because I had asked about this during the phone interview. I brought it up and wanted to make perfectly clear how much mobile development experience I had. It was discussed during the phone interview and was not a problem at that time. I'm thinking to myself, I took three days off of work, flew 1,500 miles, and have been putting up with this disorganized interview and now you tell me this, after we discussed it earlier and it wasn't an issue three days ago. In hindsight maybe I should have said exactly what I was feeling at that time. Maybe, if you are currently not working (as the HR person said was the status of many current candidates) the disrespect I was shown due to their disorganization, would not be a big deal. Maybe, if you are local to the area then wasting an afternoon sitting around the Nokia lobby would not be a big deal. But, I flew 1,500 miles and took three days off of work due to their scheduling. My impression of the two gentleman whom I spoke with (phone interview and in person briefly) are that they would be quite impressive on a personal level. Bright and hard working. But, the disorganized, haphazard method which this was conducted left me feeling disillusioned with Nokia and disrespected.

Interview Questions
    • Design a system that would contact a caregiver if an elderly person would be in need of help. Then, would locate from a list of helpers the one closest to the person in need of help.   View Answer

Lead Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nokia in January 2012.

They had two low level engineers interview me and ask me brain teaser questions. I think I answered them all correctly and did a good job. I was able to have a good organic lunch while at the facility. I liked the location and the interview room had a nice temperature.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nokia in September 2011.

Applied via specific Nokia website. One interview containing technical & team skills.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiation needed as the offer was fine

Product Validation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Nokia in July 2010.

-Detailed
    -Well thought out
    -Considerate

Sharepoint Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nokia in June 2010.

the process was easy. Basic questions on technology.