Nokia

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Nokia in February 2012.

I initially received an email from Nokia Human Resource department for an on site interview. Then I got barraged with 4-5 emails from various Nokia recruiters to fill different forms, especially the background check form. Before I had a chance to send my availability, HR scheduled an on site interview. I was on vacation and asked to be rescheduled. Nokia was interested to know if I needed work visa or help with filing for permanent residency. I had added “US CITIZEN” on my resume but no one reads resumes. I guess if the applicant is unemployed or needs visa, it works better for Nokia.

Here are the questions on one of the emails,
1 - What is your primary motivation to seek new employment?
2 - Why are you considering Nokia as your next employer?
3 - Please tell us what you bring to the table to help Nokia's business reach the next level?
4 - If an interview takes place, and an offer is extended, and you accept, when do you think you can physically start working at this location in this position?
5 - Are you eligible to work in the United States?
6 - Can you provide proof of your right to work in the U.S. within the first three working days?
7 - Do you now have, or will you at some point in the future require, visa sponsorship (e.g. TN, H1-B, L visa status)? If yes, what is your current visa type and when was it first issued?
8 - If you answered "yes" to question #7, are you currently in the Green Card Process? If yes, which stage? (This will help us determine if your case is portable)
9 - What is your current or last annual base salary (do not include bonuses)?
10 - What are your annual base salary expectations moving forward? (Do not include bonuses. At minimum, please provide a salary range)
11 - Please summarize the work experience you have or had that makes you qualified for this position?
12 - Have you or any of your previous U.S. employers received a deemed export license to employ you in the past?

On the day of interview, I was scheduled to talk to HR, then engineering and product managers, followed with a technical peer, and HR again. I spent about 20 minutes with the HR whose sole purpose was to find out about my present salary. I was expecting and looking forward to meeting with engineering/product managers, but two engineers entered… I tried to tune to their accents when they were asking questions about couple of projects on my resume. They were not prepared and scrambling to read my resume (they must have been the last minute replacements). After 30 minutes a technical peer entered who had a chip on his shoulder. At some point we disagreed about design concept/process and test procedures. Meanwhile he said that Nokia has filled all sr. design/engineering positions and are looking for lower level engineers. I was thinking, why am I here for?!! Then HR person stepped in. This time he wanted to know what type of salary they should offer me!!! This was so unconventional and backwards. Giving a salary base was like kiss of death. Definitely every company has a set salary range for each grade and position. HR was adamant to get the base salary #; he explained that Nokia did not desire to get into salary negotiating discussion (HA?!!!). I did not provide a number for salary and that was the end of my interview. Why did they waste my time with their totally illogical process and indecisiveness? Perhaps it is better not to be employed by a company that cannot properly make and negotiate an offer. This might be just one example of why Nokia is not able to compete with its competitors.

Interview Questions