Nokia

2.8

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Itasca, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Itasca, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nokia in April 2013.

A temp recruiter for Nokia reached out to me initially. Soon after I spoke with the engineering manager, and then later had a morning full of interviews with engineers. The interviews were almost all with 2 people and were mostly technical with some behavioral stuff mixed in. It was a bit exhausting but not the most difficult technical interviews I've had. They moved really fast and made me an offer that night.

Interview Questions
  • The most difficult question came from a woman with a thick accent which made it difficult to understand her. I don't think she and I ever got on the same page as to what she was asking. However I think the other interviewer in the room understood that the question wasn't really well phrased (on top of the language barrier) and it didn't seem like a big deal.   Answer Question
I asked for additional vacation and they said it was non-negotiable.

Other Interview Reviews for Nokia

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nokia in March 2012.

I was contacted by the company recruiter and after two weeks I was invited for the face to face interview. The interview was really good. 3-4 people interviewed me and ask some OO questions, C# coding questions and some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was ok. Some OO and C# questions. One design question   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Nokia in January 2012.

Was contacted the week between Xmas and New Years.Phone interview consisted of speaking with two gentleman. One would have been the s/w team's manager and the other was his boss. This took place right before the New Year weekend. Phone interview went well, at the end of the interview the manager said they normally get together and talk and then tell HR the results of their discussions but, he thought it went so well they wanted me to come for a site visit. and could I possibly be available in the next two weeks. On the day being observed as the national holiday for New Years I received an email asking if I could fly out the following day. In order to show my interest and get it done attitude I said I could do it. I received flight confirmation at 9:30 p.m. that evening along with the itinerary for the interviews. It was required that you submit the answers to an online security questionaire and employment application before the interview. I spent four hours filling this out before the flight. (Note: they want salary history for the last seven years, this is marked as mandatory), addresses of all compainies, the name of your supervisor, the phone number, etc.. The flights they picked required me to take three days off of work. Amongst the many red flags starting to appear was the fact that the interview was less then two hours long. It consisted of talking to the main s/w manager, the two managers I phone interviewed with, and an HR person. (no team members, no tour of the facilities) I arrived at the hotel at 2:00 a.m. and arrived for the interview 10-15 minutes before the start of the interview the next day. After checking in with the frontdesk per the instructions, I waited. Finally, the HR person apologized and asked the status (he had walked by a few times as I was sitting in the lobby, waiting and waiting). I said I had checked in and was waiting for the first interviewer. He acted as if he didn't even know I was supposed to be there and asked if I had a copy of my itinerary. I told him I had it with me in electronic format but, then proceeded to give the names and times of each interviewer on the itinerary from memory, which seemed to impress him. He went searching for gentleman number 1. He came back later and said "well, you were supposed to talk to me second but, why don't we talk now while waiting for gentleman number 1". So, he went through his 15 minute talk and then we talked some more, and talked, and waited, and talked. Finally, he said, "I don't know what happened "gentleman number 1" is never late". (after I got back home and described the interview to a friend he said the one liner that pretty much summed up this whole ordeal; "gee, you would think Nokia would have heard of cell phones and they might have tried calling the guy"). So, the HR person starts walking me back out to the lobby, (to wait) but while on the way the HR person runs into the manager who I had spoken with on the phone a few days earlier. They huddle together for awhile and decide I might as well talk to him. So, we turn around and head back to the interview room, after about 10-15 minutes in strolls "gentleman 1". Since, he's the head of s/w, the attention goes to him, then about ten minutes later, the second gentleman from the phone interview strolls in. Now, there are all three of the gentleman there, about ten minutes later "gentleman 1" leaves. Things wind down and I'm asked if there are any questions. I ask him what if anything might be a concern to him, so I can possibly address it. He says, my lack of mobile phone development experience. I paused and was taken aback because I had asked about this during the phone interview. I brought it up and wanted to make perfectly clear how much mobile development experience I had. It was discussed during the phone interview and was not a problem at that time. I'm thinking to myself, I took three days off of work, flew 1,500 miles, and have been putting up with this disorganized interview and now you tell me this, after we discussed it earlier and it wasn't an issue three days ago. In hindsight maybe I should have said exactly what I was feeling at that time. Maybe, if you are currently not working (as the HR person said was the status of many current candidates) the disrespect I was shown due to their disorganization, would not be a big deal. Maybe, if you are local to the area then wasting an afternoon sitting around the Nokia lobby would not be a big deal. But, I flew 1,500 miles and took three days off of work due to their scheduling. My impression of the two gentleman whom I spoke with (phone interview and in person briefly) are that they would be quite impressive on a personal level. Bright and hard working. But, the disorganized, haphazard method which this was conducted left me feeling disillusioned with Nokia and disrespected.

Interview Questions
    • Design a system that would contact a caregiver if an elderly person would be in need of help. Then, would locate from a list of helpers the one closest to the person in need of help.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nokia in September 2011.

Applied via specific Nokia website. One interview containing technical & team skills.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiation needed as the offer was fine

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Nokia in March 2009.

The hiring process is typical for a tech company. You will be asked technical questions. I noticed though that Nokia actually cares about your background and will ask you questions about your work.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any example code or projects to show.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

very simple and honest way of interviewing. No crazy questions or puzzles. To the point and not trying to outsmart the candidate. Most companies in this day and age try to prove that they are best and so they must ask weird questions. that is not what you want in an interview - rather you want the atmosphere to be very comfortable so that the person answering can be genuine and truthful

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nokia.

At first there are two to three phone interviews and afterwards there is an on-site day with several interviews (7 hours). During the on-site day your new team will ask you some questions to get to know you better.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nokia.

Three interview rounds, one a phone interview was used to access technical competence, the interviewer and I logged into a shared online editor, and the interviewer asked me to write code (in my preferred language) to perform simple tasks such as opening and reading in a file, reversing an array etc. The second and third round interviews were face to face, round two with a line manager and team lead, round three with a senior manager and a technical lead. Both consisted of technical questions, questions about my CV and past roles.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were overly difficult or designed to catch you out. The impression I got was they were looking for someone technically competent, interested in what they did and willing to learn.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nokia.

4 hour interview:
    1 Hour with team leader/direct manager
    1 hour coding test
    1 hour with HR Representative and Line Manager

Interview Questions
    Harsh, I talked up the salary they offered, but not to the level that would have been truly competitive (Other benefits made it more competitive)

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nokia in January 2013.

I applied through one of the job posting in job sites, recruiter given me call back and fixed the time for discussion with manager.
    Discussion with manager is around the past professional expertise. Interview was good as discussion i around different challenges that comes while developing applications and what solutions had been taken to rectified them.

When i asked the feedback from recruiter she never turned up. As a mature professional i appreciate negative feedback also.

Interview Questions
    • Which is bet UI library you have used in different project.   Answer Question