Interview Question

Anonymous Interview Los Angeles, CA

None, only asks if

your currently working and what shift you would prefer.
Answer

Interview Answer

29 Answers

Hi this info was really helpful thank you. I applied and took my test back in march with a 72% score and today i got an email saying my interview is friday and till fill out the 7 forms before i come. I saw a w4 form in the package not sure y thats not usually filled out untill u actually have the position any idea y? Also what exactly do u do for the interview being that u stated they didnt ask any questions. What should i expect specifically?

Monet on Oct 27, 2012

I didn't remember em having us fill out the w form, but they had us fill out the i-9 form which is the IDs. I didn't know that we already had the job, it's just the matter of being able to win the empty spot b4 it gets taken by the people in front of u with the higher test scores. The interviewer only asked me if I was currently working another job & what I do within them, that's pretty much it. Then he had me sign a couple of more papers & to go sit back down & wait some more. Everything I have stated was how everything happen with me. I'm not sure if it's any different with the other locations or facilities. Hope that helps.

Alena on Oct 28, 2012

Okay so pretty much the job offer is based off your test scores. I really hope i get this thank you for this info Alena!

Monet on Oct 29, 2012

You're welcome Monet. I didn't know 72% score was still considered on the eligible list. I thought we had to score at least a 75%. I ended up scoring with an 80.20%. With the high amount of people wanting the job and the amount of people behind us that had to take off, it's very competitive. Good luck!

Alena on Oct 29, 2012

Idk wat the requirements are for other states i live in ny the eligable score is 70 and above. I can only imagine how competitive it is. But thanx :) i appreciate it

Monet on Oct 29, 2012

Hey Alena I just wanted to know when did u apply for this position because I am stil waiting for a callback for the LA area. I applied in June 2011 my score was a 79.10 so they may ave just stopped@80% for now.

Jackie on Oct 30, 2012

I believed i applied around August or September. i honestly didn't expect to get a response from them because I thought I was already past their job post date when I took the assessment test. They don't call you on the phone. They basically respond to you through email. Since all the last job spots had been taken by the people sitting on my table which our scores were 80.20%, that's when all the spots had been filled. People w/ the lower skills behind us had to leave because of that.

Alena on Oct 31, 2012

ooops sorry i meant to say lower scores. It is a bit hard to get the job position because of course they aim for the people with all the higher scores for a chance to get the job before us. I also wanted to let you know that when they emailed the date for a job interview and such, and going through the process for 2 days, we pretty much gotten the job already when the spot was still opened.

Alena on Oct 31, 2012

hey Alena sorry for such a late response. Being that NYC was hit so hard by the storm last week my interview is rescheduled for this friday @ 8. so your pretty much saying that you already had the job before you were even interviewed? I disagree with them for inviting so many people to an interview to only take the people with high scores any way. In this case they should have only interviewed with the people that applied for the position that had the top scores. Im sorta nervous now being that I got such a basic score I hope my time isnt wasted in going on friday. However I will be humble and show up any way you never know. How is the job going so far do you like it?

Monet on Nov 6, 2012

although your title is different from the position I am applying for (pse sales/service distribution associate) it sounds like the interview will be similar so lets see how friday goes.

Monet on Nov 6, 2012

Hi Alena I have another question. My interview was a little over a week ago and i just got the call to come in for processing and I wanted to know what the actual process consists of. The Hr Rep @my station said it would just be filling out paperwork and to wear comfortable clothes. In your interview details u said u were there for quite a few hours so I wanted to know what u did during that time, did u do the medical assessment b/c i haven't done that yet and am not sure if that will be part of the processing. Thanks for any info you can give :)

Jackie on Nov 9, 2012

@Monet: Yes i pretty much had the job while the slot was still open. Now if they were limited on open spots and the people in front of u w/ the higher scores took those spots before you did & there was no more open spots, then you'll be pretty much out of luck. It's still worth going for whether you risk waiting for nothing because this job pays pretty well especially for the graveyard position. Most of their 30+ open spots were graveyard shifts. We can't really blame the company for inviting people because they don't know if somebody will change their mind and walk out or figure that this isn't the job they wanted. They want to give the other people a chance for the job that are still interested, they don't want to have to hunt down for more people at another time so they are trying to do that all at once. It's just how it is. Let me know how things go @ your interview. The job is pretty tiring and busy all the time. After the 2nd day of orientation, they had us start working the same night. 1st night we worked 8.5 hrs. The last couple of nights, i have worked 10 hrs. They are very strict on attendance because their business relies on people showing up to get the job done. The PSE Mail Processing Clerk position has the ability to give you a shot in proving your work ethics which will show the company whether you are worthy of becoming permanent. Of course they won't keep the lazy people who show up late or call out often. If you can hang with the job, it's a nice paycheck. I'm not sure about the other positions, but like Casual position I heard that they don't keep them.

@Jackie: Like i mention to Monet in the beginning of answering his questions, during the processing, bring a couple of black ink pens. They don't want paperwork filled out with blue, only black. I did the drug test and verification of a background check before I went to my interview. They wanted all that stuff to be done prior to the interview. The faster you get the stuff done, the faster everybody can take care of business. I came prepared. They requested to dress business casual clothes, no high heel footwear. They have 1 or 2 people go through everybody's paperwork which is why it's a long process. You'll have to be patient. Like mentioned before, they just pass out more papers to fill out and sign. They want you to completely fill out the applications and paperwork, so they will want you to go over everything and make sure you got all your info down. After everything was done, they had us take pictures for our ID Badge. The rest of the people that were waiting ended up not being able to get the job considering me and the group of people on my table of our test scores being about 79-80% took the last of the open job spots because there was no more positions open. Hope that helps.

Alena on Nov 9, 2012

@Jackie: When they sent about 4-5 emails. They sent it like a week or 2 weeks before my interview. It takes about 2-3 days for the drug test results to be received by the company. 1 of their emails, they will show a link of list of medical places that you can choose close to your house to do the drug test. I did it as soon as I got their email. They also took all of our fingerprints & such. Other than that, that's what I remember.

Alena on Nov 9, 2012

Thanx Alena for the info. my main concern was if fingerprinting was involved B/c i have a little blemish from about 9 yrs ago and even tho i didnt have to list it on the app and its expunged im pretty sure it will come up by fingerprints. The station where I may work did the process differently. We were called to come in for an interview(about 7 ppl), we were told to check our email when we got home for DT and BC info and that once the DT and BC clears that we would be called to come in for processing..So I got the call to come in for processing but wanted to know what else besides the DT and BG b/c i already did that part, i just have to fill out papers supposedly. But thanx again for the info.

Jackie on Nov 9, 2012

Hey guys! you info has been. Very helpful. I applied for pse sales/distribution clerk on 10/7 and took the exam a week later. The only email I got after that was my test score (85)...i then got calld. In to my local post office for an interview today 11/9. Got a call about 5 hours later from the same local post office guy who interviewed me saying that he selected me for the position. Then an hour later I got a calk from usps main office in stockton ca asking me to go in for some pre employment screening and background check related stuff. Then I got two email with info on what to bring and some forms to fill out. We'll see what happens after Wednesday lol.

I noticed a lot of people have stated they received info that a background check was going to be done before even going to interview first. Is this common with usps? It seems to be vice versa for me

Andrea on Nov 9, 2012

@Andrea: I'm not sure if it's common. Every facility is different w/ the hiring procedures. I want to assume it is common because it's a federal job. Just like any other job such as Fedex or Ups requires a background check as well.

Alena on Nov 10, 2012

Hello, I just did my assessement test and already scheduled to take another test at their office.. Just curious if what kind of test is it all about?? I just moved here in town and not familiar with this places yet.

Maricel on Nov 20, 2012

Hi Alena, So i just applied online for PSE Mail Clerk and took the assessment test online. Now i have a schedule to take the postal exam on Nov 30th. How long does it take to get hired?? I have vacation coming on Dec 18 - Jan 15 out of the country..

Lisa on Nov 20, 2012

I've read some comments regarding the hiring process.. some takes 2 weeks and latest is 2 months.. i just wanna if this is true.

Lisa on Nov 20, 2012

@Maricel: If u google or yahoo search sample tests, it will give u an idea of what to expect. The tests consists of multiple choice questions. Some questions are about matching up zip codes & addresses, others will ask u like how to properly fill out a form and what information do u fill out in what box. Another portion will ask about matching up routes and address zip codes which is usually what the carrier does on their job. The hard thing i didn't like was trying to memorize those routes and zip codes for a few minutes and trying to guess the right answers when they ask u. The test takes about an hr. U will be timed on the test so u will have to get as many answers right as possible. U can practice from various websites that show u sample tests. That's what I did.

@Lisa: The hiring process varies. It took them about a month for them to contact me through email. After the interview date, we had to go back the following week to finish up the hiring process. We were already hired and we were given a date of our orientation within 2 weeks of that time. This gave us time to give a notice to the previous jobs. This job isn't flexible, u will be needed for as much as there are always work. Being in the distribution and the fact that the PSE Clerk gets paid $14.60 an hr, it's a good pay & they have been providing a lotta hours because of the holidays. They will tell u straight out that if you got another job or school that can't work around your work schedule with em, u will have to choose them or your other job or whatever. Since this is the best paying job I have ever had, i'm trying my best to show them my work ethics to prove to them that i'm good enough to be permanent. Since they need people there during the holidays, I am not planning to request any days off til' January when the holidays are over. I heard with our position it's hard to get a 3 day weekend off, or if you're lucky. I don't know if that refers to being paid vacation or non-paid. It's just the matter of hoping for the best. When you get a decent score on the assessment test and you're shown as eligible on your profile, you have to wait. During the waiting process, I would continue to job search because u don't know if they will really contact u or not. If you're lucky then they will. I didn't expect them to contact me at all.

Alena on Nov 21, 2012

Hello, I have an interview coming up for a PSE Mail processing clerk. Can anyone tell me what type of interview questions they will ask. I'm rather nervous and would like to be prepared. Also do PSE's become permanent after a year? Can we transfer to another state after a certain time? Thanks!

Nikki on Nov 21, 2012

Hi i would like to know if somebody has got a job with a 78.80 score?

kevin on Nov 21, 2012

hello thank you for all of the advice already.. i was just wondering if anybody knew the pay rate for working overnight? i know that normal pay is 14.60$ but what would be the over night rate? thank you just trying to see if overnight would be worth it greatly appericated and happy holidays =)

Bre on Nov 21, 2012

thanks alena.. you are very helpful! i appreciate it

Lisa on Nov 27, 2012

@Nikki each facility is different on how they interview.....some asks a few ??s like have u had conflict w/a co worker and how did u handle it?...if u were given tasks by your sup how would you do those tasks and if u couldnt finish what would you do etc...and some dont even ask questions.....its nothing to be nervous..its a fairly easy interview depending on the station....they havent hired career emp. since 2007 and are not planning to hire career ANY TIME SOON b/c of the decline in mailing...PSE's are replacing employees that are retiring and will not become permanent however they can be rehired year after year with a 5 day break between each appointment if you show them what you're made of.

@kevin i applied 1/2012 with a score of 79.10 and just got the email on 11/20 for the interview..so it takes awhile

@Bre overnight gets 8% more btwn 6pm and 6am so about $16

Hope I helped u all out a bit :)

Jackie on Dec 4, 2012

Hello this is a bit late but I was wondering how long it would take to hear back from USPS. I scored 83.9 on my test and took the drug test yesterday along with sending in my background screening. When would I get a response? Would I know if everything went fine wit my pre screening or should I call?

Dominique on Apr 30, 2013

i took the test 2 weeks ago and scored 83.10 and i would like to know if i should expect to be invited for an interview or my score is too low

suzie dec 2, 2013 on Dec 2, 2013

Does anyone know how many days you need for PSE orientation? Thanks!

Tessa on Jan 2, 2014

Hi everyone, I was invited to a group interview for the city carrier assistant position. I was just wondering what to expect and what to wear. They mentioned no open toe, canvas tennis shoes, saddles, or heels. Thanks!

Jennifer kreis on Apr 1, 2014