Nordstrom

Updated Oct 18, 2014

2.1

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2013.

Very laid back, easy going and friendly. Arrived to Customer Experience and waited to be escorted to the back of Nordstrom. The manager arrived not long afterwards and led me back to a small room with a table and two chairs and we sat down and she asked me various questions about my experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you helped a disgruntled customer, how did you turn it around?   Answer Question
    It was very relaxed and easy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in August 2013.

I applied online, filled out basic application questions, took small personality test, uploaded résumé. That same day, I received an email thanking me for applying and letting me know they thought I have the qualifications they were looking for and to click the link in the email to schedule a time to have a phone interview.

After the phone interview, I was asked to come in to interview with the department manager a few days later. I was told at the end of my interview that she would let me know "soon" about her decision, which turned out to be a few hours later!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult or surprising; I was asked to sell an item to the department manager, mainly so she could see whether or not I was comfortable approaching customers.   Answer Question
    No negotiation; all sales positions work on commission.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

After applying online and taking assessments I received an email to set up a phone interview with Human Resources. The phone interview was a little lengthy (30-45) minutes. After the phone interview I was called in for a face to face interview with Human Resources. The interview questions were mostly situational "can you recall a time at work when...". This interview was roughly 45 minutes as well. After this, I had a face to face interview with the manager of my department. The manager asked similar questions as HR. I was also required to run around the store and pick out an outfit to sell for a role-play sales exercise. After the interview, I was called about 5 days later and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    I was unable to negotiate because the salary is commission based. It took about 2 weeks after I accepted the position to begin my new-hire orientation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in October 2011.

Application process starts online. Then there is a phone interview through Human Resources. After the phone interview there is a group interview or a one on one with the specific department manager you wish to work for. To finalize there is a short interview with the general manager of the entire store.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in March 2011.

After submitting my resume online, I got a call from a department manager. We did a brief overview and chatted about my experience. Then we did a face to face interview, which went well. The next interview was with a sales manager for the cosmetic company. It was all pretty standard.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in September 2010.

There was an initial phone interview that was very simple and easy, followed by a one on one
     In Which role play was used.

It was simple.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in June 2010.

I applied online, the HR manager called me the next day to come in for an interview; we met and talked for about 15 minutes about my experience, any history with commission-based sales (this was a biggie), and how I relate with other people. She called me the next day and said I had been hired on as a rover (due to my lack of retail experience), and, based on performance, I could move on into a full position eventually.

Interview Questions
    I would advise those not in commission-based jobs to negotiate a higher salary than the first one offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in March 2010.

The hiring and interview process was probably the easiest I've ever experienced. I met with HR and then with the department manager I would be working for, all in the same day and hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult, the only negative I heard at all was the three piece dress code. I had no jewelry on. I was just told that when I show up for work, I was expected to wear at least three pieces.   View Answer
    It was just stated that I would be started at $9.00 / hr. but it was commission based. I would have a couple of months to start making more than that in commission or I would be terminated.