Nordstrom

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, filled out basic application questions, took small personality test, uploaded résumé. That same day, I received an email thanking me for applying and letting me know they thought I have the qualifications they were looking for and to click the link in the email to schedule a time to have a phone interview.

After the phone interview, I was asked to come in to interview with the department manager a few days later. I was told at the end of my interview that she would let me know "soon" about her decision, which turned out to be a few hours later!

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult or surprising; I was asked to sell an item to the department manager, mainly so she could see whether or not I was comfortable approaching customers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation; all sales positions work on commission.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Commissioned Sales Associate
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – After applying online and taking assessments I received an email to set up a phone interview with Human Resources. The phone interview was a little lengthy (30-45) minutes. After the phone interview I was called in for a face to face interview with Human Resources. The interview questions were mostly situational "can you recall a time at work when...". This interview was roughly 45 minutes as well. After this, I had a face to face interview with the manager of my department. The manager asked similar questions as HR. I was also required to run around the store and pick out an outfit to sell for a role-play sales exercise. After the interview, I was called about 5 days later and offered the position.

Interview Question – "How would you sell me this pen?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was unable to negotiate because the salary is commission based. It took about 2 weeks after I accepted the position to begin my new-hire orientation.

Very Easy Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in October 2011.

Interview Details – Application process starts online. Then there is a phone interview through Human Resources. After the phone interview there is a group interview or a one on one with the specific department manager you wish to work for. To finalize there is a short interview with the general manager of the entire store.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Austin, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in September 2010.

Interview Details – There was an initial phone interview that was very simple and easy, followed by a one on one
 In Which role play was used.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – It was simple.

Austin, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online, the HR manager called me the next day to come in for an interview; we met and talked for about 15 minutes about my experience, any history with commission-based sales (this was a biggie), and how I relate with other people. She called me the next day and said I had been hired on as a rover (due to my lack of retail experience), and, based on performance, I could move on into a full position eventually.

Interview Question – Name a time you showed really great customer service.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I would advise those not in commission-based jobs to negotiate a higher salary than the first one offered.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom interview questions and advice in Austin, TX. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees and interview candidates.