Nordstrom

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redondo Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2011.

Interview Details – Was very friendly! Asked lots of hypothetical questions

Interview Question – They were very run of the mill   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2012.

Interview Details – I was referred through a friend that worked at the eBar. I applied online and the manager gave me a call about a month later. I went to visit the store and met with the manager of the eBar. It was a solid interview and not too stressful. I was hired within a week.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was why do you want to work here? I just said that I wanted to work for a progressive company and enjoy the sales business. Nordies is known for the excellent customer service and great sales experience. I think the key is to say that you want to be there for a long term period.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I did not have any experience in working with coffee, they offered my 9 an hour. I accepted because I did not have any other job and needed something to get by. I ended up learning a lot and enjoyed my time working there. I am considering to reapply and work there again since I got laid off from my last job.

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was later asked to set up a time for a phone interview. The phone interview went smoothly and they just ask you a few questions one of which was why you were interested in working at Nordstrom. The lady on the phone then invited me back for a face to face interview. The face to face interview took place right outside the store and the manager simply asked pretty much the usual customer service questions, handed me a packet of the store guidelines and also showed me around the place.

Interview Question – When is a time you've been compared with a co-worker?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Barista

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2013.

Interview Details – This was without a doubt the shortest interview I had ever been on! I had applied to Nordstrom's before for other positions, and usually there is a phone screening first, there was no phone screening. The manager called me directly about 5 days after I filled out the online application.

He asked me one question which was, tell me about yourself? I answered, and he ended the interview right after that.

Interview Question – He only asked "tell me about yourself?"   Answer Question

Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and about 2 days later I got a call which turned out to be a screening. I had prewritten answers for the usual retail/customer service questions (i.e. Why us? What is customer service to you? What was your first experience at our establishment? Tell us about a time where...?) The phone interview went well because of this and she asked me to come in for an in person interview. When I got there I was offered a drink but declined because I wanted it after. I was interviewed by the manager and the "manager in training" the manager was very nice and would say "nice" after all my responses (good sign). The manager in training was young and seemed bored which was natural for a girl her age. Afterwards the manager began telling me about different options for parking as far as passes, certain lots, shuttles, and such that were available to employees (good sign when a manager speaks on the future). She then asked for me to repeat my availability which was limited at the time. She told me I'd hear back within a week. I got an email about a week later saying they chose other candidates. I already knew it was my limited availability, good thing I had a job somewhere else before I even got the email.

Interview Question – Name a time where you had a conflict with a co-worker? - This was only weird because you never want to sound negative in an interview.   View Answer

Overland Park, KS

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2011.

Interview Details – I found the job posting from Craigslist, and applied online through their website. After a few days I was called in for an interview. Because they previous person had quit abruptly they needed an immediate replacement and so I was hired on the spot, so I started a few days after that.

Interview Question – None really, just your basic customer service related questions.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Murray, UT

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Nordstrom in January 2009.

Interview Details – Recommended by a friend to apply and went to the Nordstrom store and filled out the computer application. few days later had a call about interviews times and then came in and had about a 30 minute interview with the manager. few days later had a call to ask when i could start

Interview Question – no real difficult questions or unusual ones. straight forward   Answer Question

Barista

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in October 2009.

Interview Details – I came in with a completed application, resume and reference page.
The cafe manager was present, and since it was a slow time, we sat and had a very informal interview on the spot.
I was surprised by the relaxed feeling of the meeting. she asked all the important questions regarding experience, job history, customer service stuff, why i want to work there etc, etc.
by interviewing this way, i feel she was able to truly get a feel for who i am and what she is in for if i were to become an employee and representative of their legendary customer service.
i respect that approach, because in turn, i felt that the true me came through, rather than play the game of saying the correct motivational and customer service career buzz words.
i had a second interview with the store manager where she also got the chance to ask me random questions, size me up, and feel me out as an employee and person.

Interview Questions

Barista

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in December 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted on phone (without prior notice) for an informal screening and scheduling of an in-person interview. When I showed up at the e-bar I was offered a drink, then directed to the hiring personnel's office for the interview. I was asked about experiences on my resume, what I know about Nordstrom, why I want to work there, and behavioral questions such as what I would do in a given situation.

Interview Question – All the questions asked were expected or typical questions asked by Norstrom during their hiring process   Answer Question

Barista

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2011.

Interview Details – I had the interview with both the lead barista and store manager. It was easy, and now I am just waiting to go through the BGC to be done. I ahve nothing on my record, so I am pretty optimistic.

Interview Question – Do you see yourself in a leadership position?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Nordstrom

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom Barista interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees and interview candidates.