Nordstrom

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Walnut Creek, CA

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details – After applying online on nordstrom.com's career site, I was sent an automated verification my application was being processed. Then I was contacted by phone for a short, informal interview and ended with a scheduled in-store interview with the beauty department manager. I prepped a lot, got to know the company and the brands that are sold. The day of the interview, the beauty department was very busy. The manager was not in so the assistant manager ended up interviewing me. She was very professional and personable and I thought the interview was going well when she asked if I had time to go on to my HR interview. Of course I was enthused at the prospect! The interview also went well (I thought), and the HR woman said I would be contacted within the next week. I never got a call so I was proactive and followed up. I received no word. I still don't know where I went wrong...

Interview Question – How would you make your weekly sales quota when there is a slow week?   Answer Question

Towson, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied
First Interview: They called me. It was super easy. It was more like a screening call. They invited me to a hiring event they were having at another Nordstrom.

Second Interview: This was at the hiring event where many people were there that they invited. I met with 2 different managers plus their boss, the regional manager. We role played selling cosmetics.

Third interview: I came to the location where I was going to work at. We did one last mock sales role play type thing. Then I was hired.

Interview Question – There were the average expected questions. They asked me about my competitiveness. I responded by telling them that I grew up playing sports.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You get what they offer.

White Plains, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – I had three interviews for a position at Nordstrom. The first two were for the Human Resource department and the 3rd was for the cosmetic company I was applying to. The Human Resource department staff was super friendly and welcoming. I was nervous at first but they put me at ease. They asked me simple standard interview questions.

Interview Question – The first and second interview consisted of mainly the same types of questions. Some of the questions were "What did you do to overcome an obstacle at work and how did it turn out for you in the end?" Another was "Tell me about a situation where you had to execute a plan of action and lead a team through it"   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Spokane, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in September 2008.

Interview Details – I met with the HR Manager for my initial interview, and then received a call from the Cosmetics Department Manager to schedule an interview. I interviewed with the counter manager and with the Department Manager simultaneously, and came back a second time for one final interview, where I was told what line I was being considered for, and if I was willing to work for that line, and what the expectations were, etc.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you had to handle an unhappy or upset customer, how did you handle it, and what was the outcome? How would you handle several people at the counter at once who all were in a hurry to be greeted and assisted?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much of a negotiation phase for me at the time. I wanted the job, and was thrilled at the opportunity to work for the line I was offered.

Los Angeles, CA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in December 2011.

Interview Details – I had one 1on1 interview with an account executive for a cosmetic counter, she said she'll refer my information to HR, I havent heard anything yet.

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

Skokie, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted via phone by an HR person and called in for an interview. A few days later I was hired. It was short and smooth.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I negotiated the best possible rate!

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!