Nordstrom

Updated Oct 27, 2014
Updated Oct 27, 2014

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person – interviewed at Nordstrom.

The hiring and interview process was a bit lengthy but pretty straight forward. I applied and shortly after, got called to do a phone interview. After doing well with my phone interview, I was then called back in for a one-on-one interview with the head of HR. She was the same person that conducted my phone interview. She basically asked me typical retail interview questions and tested me on my customer service skills.
    After that interview, I had one last interview with my soon to be manager. She asked me a few more retail and customer service related questions and then asked me to do some on the spot selling in her department. It was pretty simple and actually kind of fun. All-in-all, it was a success. I got the job!
    Just smile, be confident and remember the customer is always right!

Interview Questions
    • What would you say to a customer that was trying to return something that was obviously not from the store?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in October 2014.

Applied online and the same evening received an email requesting a phone screening. Went in a day later for an in person interview and got a call two days later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What do you like about Nordstrom? Have you shopped here before?   Answer Question
    Negotiations are only given if you have worked in retail before or have customer service experience. I was able to negotiate my pay rate.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

it took one month. I applied online.got an email in four weeks time to make an appointment for a phone interview.Had the phone interview the next day and was asked to come for the face to face interview the following day.had the interview with two managers and after i was asked to role play sales. the whole process took about 1hr 30mins

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in July 2014.

Open interview at 10 am, asked to arrive by 9:50. I arrived at 9:45. We were brought into a room full of tables. Each applicant sat with one or two managers, so make sure to focus on the conversation at hand and do not get distracted by the conversations going on around you. (Very realistic in a retail environment). Spoke with two sales managers of cosmetics, who asked standard questions from a packet, which they filled out. This took about 15 or 20 minutes. Then we went downstairs and did a role play scenario where I had to sell them a product. This lasted an additional 10 minutes. Finally, I was brought upstairs to meet with the Store Manager. Each employee I spoke with gave me their business card, which made Thank You emails very easy. Overall the entire experience lasted 50 minutes from the time I arrived, to the time I left. No offer was extended to me, but I was told I would hear from them in 24-48 hours.

Interview Questions
    • The role play activity was unexpected and so was meeting the store manager. Be prepared for this when interviewing!   Answer Question

Sales Person Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Everything that said on this website.

Interview Questions
    commission with $9.80 base pay.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in September 2013.

1. Searched Nordstroms.com web-site.
    2. Select Careers.
    3. Applied on line for position that I desired.
    4. Within 7 days I received an email saying we have reviewed your resume and would like to set up a telephone interview. They will also send you the appointment times in email and you must select the day and time. This is all done on-line.
    5. HR will call you on the scheduled day and time. If they like you, they will invite you to a face to face interview before the telephone interview is over.
    6. During the face to face interview, if they, like you, they will ask you to do a role play-selling one of the department products.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here:   View Answer
    • Okay. Now, I want to walk you around the de[artment and let's do a role play.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in June 2013.

Submitter Cover Letter and Resume VIA Nordstrom Careers website. Was called by the end of the week, had my interview the following week. There were a lot of interview going on. They were hiring at the end of June for their Anniversary Sale. Intimidating, but just have to be confident. Definitely dress professional, but also fashion forward. Dont wear your typical dress suit, spice it up a bit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you went above and beyond to please a customer? Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    No Negotiation. Its is comissioned base- you get paid minimum wage or your commission- I average around 12$ an hour, but I was in the Savvy department. Womens Shoes, Individualist, TBD, Mens furnishings, The Rail all make alot more.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in June 2013.

I was interviewed by a lady who was 2 years older than me. We had many things in common. It was basically very easy since it was a seasonal job for I was only hired to work for the Anniversary Sale. Basic Interview questions which mainly deal with availability. I would suggest saying open availability.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you had to pick up the slack of your co-workers and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    Commission based job

Management Intern/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in April 2013.

The person on the phone asks about the interviewee. When describing yourself, mentioning Nordstrom is good. They ask about previous work experience and relate many things to customer service. You should know Nordstrom's "use your best judgement" rule and about the rewards program.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in April 2013.

I applied online and about a week later got an email for a phone interview. The woman who interviewed me seemed disinterested and a little snobbish, which I found odd. In an interview you would think that they would try and sell their company to the person wanting to work. The questions for the most part were pretty standard and blase.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult challenge you have overcome lately?   Answer Question