Nordstrom Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 20, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and within the week I received an email stating they would like to do a video interview. The video was easy to do and I was able to use my home computer.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions like why do you want to work here, tell us about a situation in which you provided great customer service. I have a feeling that they wanted to see what I looked like before they wanted to meet me face to face. Once they saw me on the video interview they weren't interested anymore.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The hiring and interview process was a bit lengthy but pretty straight forward. I applied and shortly after, got called to do a phone interview. After doing well with my phone interview, I was then called back in for a one-on-one interview with the head of HR. She was the same person that conducted my phone interview. She basically asked me typical retail interview questions and tested me on my customer service skills. After that interview, I had one last interview with my soon to be manager. She asked me a few more retail and customer service related questions and then asked me to do some on the spot selling in her department. It was pretty simple and actually kind of fun. All-in-all, it was a success. I got the job! Just smile, be confident and remember the customer is always right!

Interview Questions

• What would you say to a customer that was trying to return something that was obviously not from the store?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online and the same evening received an email requesting a phone screening. Went in a day later for an in person interview and got a call two days later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about Nordstrom? Have you shopped here before?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations are only given if you have worked in retail before or have customer service experience. I was able to negotiate my pay rate.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

it took one month. I applied online.got an email in four weeks time to make an appointment for a phone interview.Had the phone interview the next day and was asked to come for the face to face interview the following day.had the interview with two managers and after i was asked to role play sales. the whole process took about 1hr 30mins

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

Open interview at 10 am, asked to arrive by 9:50. I arrived at 9:45. We were brought into a room full of tables. Each applicant sat with one or two managers, so make sure to focus on the conversation at hand and do not get distracted by the conversations going on around you. (Very realistic in a retail environment). Spoke with two sales managers of cosmetics, who asked standard questions from a packet, which they filled out. This took about 15 or 20 minutes. Then we went downstairs and did a role play scenario where I had to sell them a product. This lasted an additional 10 minutes. Finally, I was brought upstairs to meet with the Store Manager. Each employee I spoke with gave me their business card, which made Thank You emails very easy. Overall the entire experience lasted 50 minutes from the time I arrived, to the time I left. No offer was extended to me, but I was told I would hear from them in 24-48 hours.

Interview Questions

• The role play activity was unexpected and so was meeting the store manager. Be prepared for this when interviewing!   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

I had a phone interview about two weeks after submitting my initial application. I was invited in for an in-person interview with the manager of my department. I handed her my resume, but the interview was highly structured so there wasn't a lot of straying from the written questions. The whole process lasted about half an hour in the HR office, and then I was invited down to the sales floor so that I could learn a little about its workings.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you would handle working on commission?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation-- commissioned sales position.

Retail Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with Corporate in Seattle and then was immediately asked to schedule an in-person interview at a Nordstrom Full-Line Store in the area. The in-person interview was a panel style interview where they asked situational questions about how you deal with customers and how you keep up on fashion trends. Then one of the panel members takes you to the sales floor and asks you to sell them something.

Sales Person Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Everything that said on this website.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

commission with $9.80 base pay.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in September 2013.

Interview

1. Searched Nordstroms.com web-site. 2. Select Careers. 3. Applied on line for position that I desired. 4. Within 7 days I received an email saying we have reviewed your resume and would like to set up a telephone interview. They will also send you the appointment times in email and you must select the day and time. This is all done on-line. 5. HR will call you on the scheduled day and time. If they like you, they will invite you to a face to face interview before the telephone interview is over. 6. During the face to face interview, if they, like you, they will ask you to do a role play-selling one of the department products.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here:   1 Answer
    • Okay. Now, I want to walk you around the de[artment and let's do a role play.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in June 2013.

Interview

Submitter Cover Letter and Resume VIA Nordstrom Careers website. Was called by the end of the week, had my interview the following week. There were a lot of interview going on. They were hiring at the end of June for their Anniversary Sale. Intimidating, but just have to be confident. Definitely dress professional, but also fashion forward. Dont wear your typical dress suit, spice it up a bit.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went above and beyond to please a customer? Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No Negotiation. Its is comissioned base- you get paid minimum wage or your commission- I average around 12$ an hour, but I was in the Savvy department. Womens Shoes, Individualist, TBD, Mens furnishings, The Rail all make alot more.