Nordstrom Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 29, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and within the week I received an email stating they would like to do a video interview. The video was easy to do and I was able to use my home computer.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions like why do you want to work here, tell us about a situation in which you provided great customer service. I have a feeling that they wanted to see what I looked like before they wanted to meet me face to face. Once they saw me on the video interview they weren't interested anymore.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I found positions available at Nordstrom from a website called Snag a Job. It redirected me to Nordstrom's page that showed the jobs available. I applied for all of the positions I felt I would do well in. About 4 days later I got two responses back. I was rejected for the personal shopper in training and then I was asked to come in and interview for a retail position. They offered me three different time slots to interview in. I actually arrived late to the interview. I thought the interview was at 2:30 but it was at 2. I got there and I checked in at the service counter, they phoned the woman in HR and she come and got me. They were super chill about being late. The lady from HR said that they had me down for 2 and I apologized when I met her in person I apologized again and she said it was no big deal. I was brought to a room in the employees only area and I was seated with about 20 other people who applied to some department in the company. I interviewed with a woman, I believe, decided if I was worth meeting with the assistant manager. She asked me kind of the standard interview questions then I was brought back to the original room and then the assistant manager came and got me and interviewed me. She asked me the same questions and then questions more specific towards the department I had applied to. I then went to the department and did a mock sale. I received a call 3 business days later from the assistant manager offering me the position.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why Nordstrom? Q: Example of when you worked well in a group Q: Does working for commission scare you or do you have any concerns?   Answer Question

Shoe Shine Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom (Oak Brook, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was fairly typical for a retail giant like nordstrom. They asked why I would like to work at nordstrom, what makes me different to other candidates, how do I handle attention based work, and so on and so forth. The manager who interviewed me was very laid back and very young, so that was pretty stress free. The only hard part of the interview was when he asked me detailed questions regarding different shoe polishes and such, I knew the differences between them, he just caught me off guard is all.

Interview Questions

• Out of these polishes, which is best for a low quarter gala shoe?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, he offered me a rate based on my previous experience and I found it fair given my duties at work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The hiring and interview process was a bit lengthy but pretty straight forward. I applied and shortly after, got called to do a phone interview. After doing well with my phone interview, I was then called back in for a one-on-one interview with the head of HR. She was the same person that conducted my phone interview. She basically asked me typical retail interview questions and tested me on my customer service skills. After that interview, I had one last interview with my soon to be manager. She asked me a few more retail and customer service related questions and then asked me to do some on the spot selling in her department. It was pretty simple and actually kind of fun. All-in-all, it was a success. I got the job! Just smile, be confident and remember the customer is always right!

Interview Questions

• What would you say to a customer that was trying to return something that was obviously not from the store?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online and the same evening received an email requesting a phone screening. Went in a day later for an in person interview and got a call two days later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about Nordstrom? Have you shopped here before?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations are only given if you have worked in retail before or have customer service experience. I was able to negotiate my pay rate.

Make Up Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nordstrom (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

I completed a phone interview and then was asked to come in for a one on one interview with one of the floor managers. We went into a back room so she could ask me some routine interview questions. The interviewer seemed very stern on kept reiterating how import it is to get new customers to apply for a Nordstrom card.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a tense or angry customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

it took one month. I applied online.got an email in four weeks time to make an appointment for a phone interview.Had the phone interview the next day and was asked to come for the face to face interview the following day.had the interview with two managers and after i was asked to role play sales. the whole process took about 1hr 30mins

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

Open interview at 10 am, asked to arrive by 9:50. I arrived at 9:45. We were brought into a room full of tables. Each applicant sat with one or two managers, so make sure to focus on the conversation at hand and do not get distracted by the conversations going on around you. (Very realistic in a retail environment). Spoke with two sales managers of cosmetics, who asked standard questions from a packet, which they filled out. This took about 15 or 20 minutes. Then we went downstairs and did a role play scenario where I had to sell them a product. This lasted an additional 10 minutes. Finally, I was brought upstairs to meet with the Store Manager. Each employee I spoke with gave me their business card, which made Thank You emails very easy. Overall the entire experience lasted 50 minutes from the time I arrived, to the time I left. No offer was extended to me, but I was told I would hear from them in 24-48 hours.

Interview Questions

• The role play activity was unexpected and so was meeting the store manager. Be prepared for this when interviewing!   Answer Question

Point of Sale Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom (Oakbrook Terrace, IL).

Interview

There was an initial phone interview. They ask about your work history, your availability and why you would be a good fit for the company. If your preliminary interview goes well they ask you to come in for a second interview. You go to the store an she gives you a series of scenario question like, "Describe a time when you had to maintain a leadership role." or "Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer." I interviewed for the shoe department, so they asked me to pick out a couple shoes and if i had to sell it to a customer what approach would i use. The interview went well after the interview i got called the next day and go offered a position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was a commissioned based position.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

I had a phone interview about two weeks after submitting my initial application. I was invited in for an in-person interview with the manager of my department. I handed her my resume, but the interview was highly structured so there wasn't a lot of straying from the written questions. The whole process lasted about half an hour in the HR office, and then I was invited down to the sales floor so that I could learn a little about its workings.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you would handle working on commission?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation-- commissioned sales position.