Nordstrom

47 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Shoe Shine Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

The interview was fairly typical for a retail giant like nordstrom. They asked why I would like to work at nordstrom, what makes me different to other candidates, how do I handle attention based work, and so on and so forth. The manager who interviewed me was very laid back and very young, so that was pretty stress free. The only hard part of the interview was when he asked me detailed questions regarding different shoe polishes and such, I knew the differences between them, he just caught me off guard is all.

Interview Questions
    • Out of these polishes, which is best for a low quarter gala shoe?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, he offered me a rate based on my previous experience and I found it fair given my duties at work.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person – interviewed at Nordstrom.

The hiring and interview process was a bit lengthy but pretty straight forward. I applied and shortly after, got called to do a phone interview. After doing well with my phone interview, I was then called back in for a one-on-one interview with the head of HR. She was the same person that conducted my phone interview. She basically asked me typical retail interview questions and tested me on my customer service skills.
    After that interview, I had one last interview with my soon to be manager. She asked me a few more retail and customer service related questions and then asked me to do some on the spot selling in her department. It was pretty simple and actually kind of fun. All-in-all, it was a success. I got the job!
    Just smile, be confident and remember the customer is always right!

Interview Questions
    • What would you say to a customer that was trying to return something that was obviously not from the store?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in October 2014.

Applied online and the same evening received an email requesting a phone screening. Went in a day later for an in person interview and got a call two days later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What do you like about Nordstrom? Have you shopped here before?   Answer Question
    Negotiations are only given if you have worked in retail before or have customer service experience. I was able to negotiate my pay rate.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

it took one month. I applied online.got an email in four weeks time to make an appointment for a phone interview.Had the phone interview the next day and was asked to come for the face to face interview the following day.had the interview with two managers and after i was asked to role play sales. the whole process took about 1hr 30mins

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in July 2014.

Open interview at 10 am, asked to arrive by 9:50. I arrived at 9:45. We were brought into a room full of tables. Each applicant sat with one or two managers, so make sure to focus on the conversation at hand and do not get distracted by the conversations going on around you. (Very realistic in a retail environment). Spoke with two sales managers of cosmetics, who asked standard questions from a packet, which they filled out. This took about 15 or 20 minutes. Then we went downstairs and did a role play scenario where I had to sell them a product. This lasted an additional 10 minutes. Finally, I was brought upstairs to meet with the Store Manager. Each employee I spoke with gave me their business card, which made Thank You emails very easy. Overall the entire experience lasted 50 minutes from the time I arrived, to the time I left. No offer was extended to me, but I was told I would hear from them in 24-48 hours.

Interview Questions
    • The role play activity was unexpected and so was meeting the store manager. Be prepared for this when interviewing!   Answer Question

Point of Sale Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

There was an initial phone interview. They ask about your work history, your availability and why you would be a good fit for the company. If your preliminary interview goes well they ask you to come in for a second interview. You go to the store an she gives you a series of scenario question like, "Describe a time when you had to maintain a leadership role." or "Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer."

I interviewed for the shoe department, so they asked me to pick out a couple shoes and if i had to sell it to a customer what approach would i use. The interview went well after the interview i got called the next day and go offered a position.

Interview Questions
    It was a commissioned based position.

Tailor Shop Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skokie, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skokie, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

After arrival of interview for Tailor Shop Administrator I was told they hired someone that morning & they wanted me to apply for Communications position instead. I would have appreciated a phone call to ask me before I arrived.

Interview Questions
    • Will you interview for a different position than you applied?   View Answer

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

I applied online and was emailed back asking to complete additional information and another to attend a hiring event. At the hiring event all applicants and hiring managers introduced themselves, then managers took their prospective applicants to the floor for interviews.

Sales Person Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Everything that said on this website.

Interview Questions
    commission with $9.80 base pay.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in September 2013.

1. Searched Nordstroms.com web-site.
    2. Select Careers.
    3. Applied on line for position that I desired.
    4. Within 7 days I received an email saying we have reviewed your resume and would like to set up a telephone interview. They will also send you the appointment times in email and you must select the day and time. This is all done on-line.
    5. HR will call you on the scheduled day and time. If they like you, they will invite you to a face to face interview before the telephone interview is over.
    6. During the face to face interview, if they, like you, they will ask you to do a role play-selling one of the department products.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here:   View Answer
    • Okay. Now, I want to walk you around the de[artment and let's do a role play.   View Answer
    No negotiation.