Nordstrom

Average Difficulty
71 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Commissioned Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Applied on line. Not even 2 hours later received an email asking me to set up a phone interview. Scheduled phone interview for next morning. The man who called was extremely pleasant and it was done in 5 minutes. He asked to set up a one-on-one interview in the store. We scheduled for 2 days later. Interviewed with both the department manager and assistant department manager, both of which were very friendly. Received a call 2 hours later offering the position.

Interview Question – All questions were typical customer service "what would you do in this situation". Walk the sales floor and do a "selling activity" to pick an outfit for a given situation. Very simple.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not need to negotiate. Base pay is fair but this is a commissioned based position, the more you sell, the more you make.

Commissioned Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed by multiple managers for nearly an hour. Asked pretty typical interview questions, nothing too confusing. Review other common interview questions for preparation. When I interviewed, Nordstrom brought in quite a large group of individuals whom took turns switching from table to table of managers for mini interviews.

Interview Question – Why Nordstrom?
Sell me this... (and then they proceeded to hand me a random item)
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, you get paid min wage + commission.

Commissioned Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – If your application is accepted there will be a phone interview, which will last anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Once you make it past that step there will be an in person interview, and finally the decision is made.

Interview Question – Scenario: Sell me these beach sunglasses even though I am from Alaska   Answer Question

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Applied online and about a month later I received a call for an interview. 1st was a phone interview with the HR manager of that specific store location. Then a in person interview with the same HR manager. Hiring and interview process moved swiftly. I interviewed with the men's furnishing and men's designer dept. managers the same day. Then the next day I interviewed with the store manager.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty basic. "Tell me about yourself?" "Describe some difficult situations in a selling environment?" "Where do you see yourself working within the dept store?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Base pay plus commission. Different comm. for different depts.

Bloomington, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, and a day later I got a voicemail in which I was offered a phone interview. The phone interview was a pretty standard one, it seemed like a way to weed out non-serious applicants and weirdos. I completed the phone interview that night, and had an in-person interview the next morning. I was offered the job by phone, just four hours after my in-person interview.

Interview Question – How would you handle an angry or upset customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation process. The pay is 100% commission.

Very Easy Interview

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2011.

Interview Details – If you are a serious candidate you will have a face to face interview with the Department Manager. The questions are scripted, typical of the current HR trends. There is some role playing.

Interview Question – There are some role playing scenarios. Be yourself and relax. These are not difficult if you enjoy working with the public.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay scale is not negotiable. You might be able to negotiate a preferred schedule, but once a new manager comes in you can start at square one.

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2011.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume online, I got a call from a department manager. We did a brief overview and chatted about my experience. Then we did a face to face interview, which went well. The next interview was with a sales manager for the cosmetic company. It was all pretty standard.

Interview Question – There wasn't really any question that was unexpected.   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – contacted via email , had a phone interview then 1 in person interview , the first part was with the HR manager the second part was with the department manager

Interview Question – Describe a difficult time with a customer ?   Answer Question

West Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was emailed back asking to complete additional information and another to attend a hiring event. At the hiring event all applicants and hiring managers introduced themselves, then managers took their prospective applicants to the floor for interviews.

Interview Question – What motivates you the most?   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – One general screening phone call with HR, followed by onsite meeting with HR. Onsite meeting with department manager as final step of interview process. Standard sales focused questions with a particular emphasis on the customer and how you would create the best possible service environment.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult customer service situation and the steps you took to work through it.   Answer Question

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!