Nordstrom Commissioned Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014

2.6

78 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Met recruiter at college job fair. Got a call to set up an interview over the phone for their internship. Went through I think, two more phone interviews. Basic questions: Why Nordstrom? Why fashion? I studied philosophy and lived in Indiana so not too sure how I ended up interning at one of their biggest stores. I think they just try to size you up to see if you'll fit with their "culture." Just be yourself-- your completely upbeat and Nordstrom-obsessed self and you'll do fine ( if you can sell ).

Interview Questions
  • Give an example of when you missed the mark and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Nordstrom.

There can be anywhere from one to three interviews depending on the urgency to fill the position. They look for candidates who can work well in a team but have independent personalities and individual sources for motivation. Candidates must be able to uphold a conversation with ease. Questions asked will revolve around past experience working on a team, competitive situations, and customer accommodations. Nordstrom prides itself on having great people who deliver great service. Dress to impress; this is a fashion company and you need to reflect the department you will be working in. That means before your interview check out the current staff and see what they're wearing or meet with the manager to see what he or she is wearing. In Men's departments, Shoe departments, and Lingerie you should be in business professional attire. There are trendy men's and women's departments that you can be dress business casual. That being said, you will be judged on your answers to the interview questions, not what you are wearing.

Interview Questions
    • This is a commission base position and candidates will be required to complete a selling drill. Different departments have their own take on the drill but be enthusiastic about what you're selling.   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

filled out online application. heard back a couple of days later for phone interview with HR. only had 2 questions, Why do you want to work at Nordstroms, and explain your most difficult customer. Had a sit down interview with department manager. basic questions, had to sell a piece of clothing to her.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Phone Interview: very basic. I had one 2 years ago, applied with no experience pertaining to fashion and got a phone interview. They said they would contact me with further information if they were interested.

I recently had another phone interview two weeks ago, and at the end of the call they asked me to come in store for an interview. Which is tomorrow! Wish me luck ;)

Interview Questions
    • What was a difficult work situation, how did you resolve it.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2012.

The interviewing process was very detailed and thorough. They asked about teamwork, self-motivation and understanding retail math. The interviewer asked if I understood commissioned sales and whether or not I had ever been paid by commission. I was also asked to list competitors and describe how Nordstrom outshines its competitors.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in July 2014.

I applied online as a joke, just to see if I was even qualified. I have 1 and 1/2 years of retail experience so I went for it. I got an email confirming they got my application, and then I got an email a couple hours later saying they were interested in me and to set up a phone interview! I was so excited, I setup an interview for the next week when I had a day off from my current job. I chose for 10 AM and they didnt call me till 12:05! I was actually discouraged, but when I got on the phone, I sold it and she loved me! (i wish i knew her name) So then she asked if I could come in for a face to face interview in about 3 days. I said sure! I then got a call an hour later asking if I come in the next day for an interview! I said of course, told my current job I'd be late. I went in for a face to face and I was NERVOUS, i got there 15 minutes early, as they ask on the phone. Dress professionally, both the interviewers loved my outfit. SO i get to the questions and its basically a personality test and to see how well you are going to do with commission. When was a time you didn't meet a goal and what did you do to fix it? Are you competitive, when were you competitive? How did you work with a group to make a goal? Generic retail questions. I sold it, they loved everything I was saying and were extremely sweet and relaxed with me. We got off topic a little, but the last part was to pick an outfit for my interviewer and I did cruddy hahaha. But i BS'd it and gave her options and explained what acc/shoes/makeup I would do with it and they liked that. That was done (that was the worst part but have fun and give options. its hard to pick good things on the spot) we went back upstairs and they offered me the job right on the spot! Simple, straightforward, sell yourself!

Interview Questions
    • How do you encourage your coworkers to maintain the level of professionalism that you have?   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in September 2013.

I applied online on Nordstrom's website. I recieved a call from HR the next day and had a short phone interview that lasted about 5 minutes. She asked me basic questions such as "Why do I want to work at Nordstrom?" and scheduled an in person interview with the manager of the department I applied to. I met with the manager and she wanted me to come in again to meet the store manager. After I did, she offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you apply to (department's name)? How long do you see yourself apart of this company? What influences your personal style?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, it's commission based.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Applied on line. Not even 2 hours later received an email asking me to set up a phone interview. Scheduled phone interview for next morning. The man who called was extremely pleasant and it was done in 5 minutes. He asked to set up a one-on-one interview in the store. We scheduled for 2 days later. Interviewed with both the department manager and assistant department manager, both of which were very friendly. Received a call 2 hours later offering the position.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were typical customer service "what would you do in this situation". Walk the sales floor and do a "selling activity" to pick an outfit for a given situation. Very simple.   Answer Question
    Did not need to negotiate. Base pay is fair but this is a commissioned based position, the more you sell, the more you make.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

Interviewed by multiple managers for nearly an hour. Asked pretty typical interview questions, nothing too confusing. Review other common interview questions for preparation. When I interviewed, Nordstrom brought in quite a large group of individuals whom took turns switching from table to table of managers for mini interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Why Nordstrom?
      Sell me this... (and then they proceeded to hand me a random item)
        Answer Question
    None, you get paid min wage + commission.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

If your application is accepted there will be a phone interview, which will last anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Once you make it past that step there will be an in person interview, and finally the decision is made.

Interview Questions
    • Scenario: Sell me these beach sunglasses even though I am from Alaska   Answer Question

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!