Nordstrom

Getting the Interview

57 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Aventura, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – I had to meet with the HR Manager as well as the Department Manager. Hiring was pretty straight forward and easy.

Interview Question – I don't recall any unusual questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiating wasn't possible

Edison, NJ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online April 1st and did a personality survey. There are right answers so take your time and choose what you know they want in a candidate. I have open availability, which is a must. They want someone who has flexible hours. So, four days a week isn't going to cut it.

On April 2nd, I got an email from HR about a phone interview and scheduled it for April 4th. I talked to a woman and she asked very basic questions, such as: Why do you want to work at Nordstrom? (Do your research!) and explain a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer. Be interested and sound upbeat. Also, state that you have no problem with working with commissions. The whole interview lasted 15 minutes tops. She said that she really enjoyed speaking with me and set up an in person interview for April 7th.

To my knowledge, it was supposed to be a group interview, but I was the only one there. I met with the assistant manager of women's swim and active wear. She was really nice and we had a good conversation. I applied for part-time, but there was only a full-time position available. I'm not in school so I had no problem with that. I made her laugh a few times and was really bubbly and engaging. She seemed drawn to me and there was no awkward silences. I'm a shy person by nature, but if you act shy, you won't get the job. They want a people person and someone who isn't afraid of going up to strangers. She asked about my availability and it is the MOST important question that will be asked. Once again, they need someone who is reliable and can work whenever.

She took me out to the sales floor and we did a role play. I came prepared for the role play from researching online so I wasn't caught off guard like most people. She told me that I did good and would give me a call because there was one more interview, I knew I got the job. The next day, the manager (who has the final say) called me an offered me the job. I had an interview with Sephora, but they never called so I I took the job.

Interview Question – Name a time when you exceeded a sales goal and how did that happen.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It's a set commission, so no negotiation.

Miami, FL

Interview Details – Applied online. You must do the personality survey, that's how they weed people out. About a week later received an email that they were interested in hiring me, and to set up a phone screen. When I got out of the shower that same day, I received a phone call from a woman in HR named Lacey but I missed the call. I called back and we chatted on the phone. She asked me very simple questions, why nordstrom, what position are you interested in (full time or part time) and invited me for an interview for the next day.
Came in 15 minutes early and waited about 30 minutes. Never got an interview with Lacey, she just came out and asked me if I was interested in working for dresses, and I said sure.
She took me to interview with the department manager for dresses, a woman named Jenny. She was very a animated and friendly person. She explained what she expects of her prospective employee throughout the interview. I think I did good and made an impression.
What I did questionably on was the role playing skit. Right now, I currently work at Macy's and they're more focused on the amount of credits opened in a week vs how to satisfy their customers. Before our skit, she walked me through the floor, unfortunately she rushed through the whole thing so I was only able to gather bits and pieces of most of what she was saying. Once the skit commenced, it was interrupted by a customer she had to cater to. Once she was finished, she had to rush through the rest of out skit.
Once finished, she told me a few points that I missed. She said she would call me in a couple of days and the regular ending to an interview.

Interview Question – Huge tip: during your skit, ask A LOT of questions. She said that was my biggest failures. She said if I had asked more questions, I would've found out that she needed two dresses as opposed to one. Also, ask for their name. She explained that customers and employees should be on a first name basis. Nordstrom values their customers and want to make them feel welcome. When you're nearing the end, always offer other products - shoes, accessories, bras, hosiery, etc.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Costa Mesa, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2013.

Interview Details – Easy to meet the hiring manager, friendly and immediate.

Interview Question – There was no problem or bad experience. But when wanting to lateral to another area after season was over, I was asked to contact a different manager. We spoke and she said that she would call me back but never did. Very unprofessional after the interaction we had while I was there.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2013.

Interview Details – Submitter Cover Letter and Resume VIA Nordstrom Careers website. Was called by the end of the week, had my interview the following week. There were a lot of interview going on. They were hiring at the end of June for their Anniversary Sale. Intimidating, but just have to be confident. Definitely dress professional, but also fashion forward. Dont wear your typical dress suit, spice it up a bit.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you went above and beyond to please a customer? Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation. Its is comissioned base- you get paid minimum wage or your commission- I average around 12$ an hour, but I was in the Savvy department. Womens Shoes, Individualist, TBD, Mens furnishings, The Rail all make alot more.

Commissioned Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – applied through the main website. did one phone interview, then met with the HR Manager for a face to face interview, then I received a call from the department manager for an other interview. lastly received a call with job offer from department manager. 3month process.
did a week of training. but everything you really learn is through trail and error.

Interview Question – tell me of a difficult situation with a customer and how you resolved the issue.
Was the customer satisfied?
what are your strength's and weaknesses?
why do you want to work for Nordstrom?
do you follow new trends and fashion? (dress trendy but professional)
basically they need cheerleaders who are going to spread Nordstrom spirit and give amazing customer service.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – commissioned

Novi, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in October 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview once accepted to a face to face interview

Interview Question – Background Information?   Answer Question

Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in October 2009.

Interview Details – I applied online with very minimal work experience. There was a personality quiz to determine if you had the right sort of personality for a commissioned sales position. After that, I had a phone interview where I had to answer several customer service questions, such as "tell us about a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer", etc. After passing that interview, I had an in-person interview with an HR manager. On that same day, she told me what departments were hiring -- I had applied for shoes, but there was no opening there. After a bit of back and forth, we both decided that lingerie would be the best department for me. I met the lingerie manager that day, where we went over pay/sales expectations, etc. and did a bit of role-playing. I was offered the job by phone one or two days later.

Interview Question – I had to role-play a selling experience with my potential new manager. It wasn't particularly unexpected, but was definitely stressful for me as I had very little work experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, as the pay was straight commission with no hourly and the percentages were standard by department.

Commissioned Sales Associated Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – First, a phone interview for background info and behavioral screenings.
Second you are asked to come in for an in person interview. For my position, I am guessing was a round of hires for summer positions so several managers from several departments were in a room and we rotated a couple times, speaking with different people.

Interview Question – How do you deal with conflict. For example, a customer comes in demanding a return for something that was not purchased at Nordstrom. What do you do?   Answer Question

Skokie, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in October 2012.

Interview Details – Human resources is very professional and approachable. They ask why Nordstrom? What qualities do you have that can make you successful in a commission-based environment? You can apply for one position, but they usually ask if you are interested in any other available positions. If you are, you can meet with the different department managers (DO IT to make sure you don't work for a bad manager - it can be the different between a great or horrible experience)

Interview Question – None, it was really easy. They genuinely want you because it is no loss for them to hire you (sorry if it seems shallow). If you don't make sales, you'll get the minimum $8.50 but you'll just get fired if it keeps happening.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Nordstrom

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom Commissioned Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 57 interview reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees and interview candidates.