Nordstrom Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview Questions

3.1

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in September 2014.

Interviewed with assistant cosmetics manager, asked questions such as why Nordstroms? team work and selling experience. The manager was pleasant and others were being interviewed for the position by other people. I was told the counters were busy and they were looking for someone to handle and fast and heavy sales load. I was encouraged to re-apply if I saw anything in the future that interested me.

Interview Questions
  • Name a time when at work you were in competition with a co-worker and what was the result   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in September 2014.

I applied online and the next day I got an email and I made the appointment for Wednesday at 2:00 PM.They called me around 2:37 PM and the interview lasted about 6 mins.The lady told me they were going to interview more people and call me if I made it.

Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Personality Tests online, two phone interviews, interview with someone from personnel, then offer to interview with Department manger, Then joint interview with Department Manager and vendor, Department manager/vendor/counter manager interview.

This was a very extensive hiring process, yet there are still some employees that have no idea what they are doing!

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if everything you have tried to do for the customer does not calm them down and the customer remains upset?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lonetree, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lonetree, CO

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2014.

Don't get too excited. No matter having years of experience and an actual license unlike many who apply for these jobs, or even the women who work at the counters... they do most of their hiring from within.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in June 2012.

I had wanted to work for the Nordstrom cosmetics department for a long time. I applied online and was called within 24 hours by the department manager for the interview. The interview was very professional (more professional than I would have thought, they didn't ask any personal questions at all) and concise. The first and most prominent question was "Why should I hire you". He also asked about my experience. Additionally, I was asked:

1) Explain a time when you gave outstanding customer service?
    2) How do you feel about making commission?
    3) What motivates you?
    4) What would you do if your sales were under your quota?

He made it pretty clear to me by the end of the interview that I was going to get the job. A few days later, I was called and offed a job. Very excited!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in June 2012.

Applied online to become a cosmetics and fragrances sales associate. About 30 minutes later, received a phone call from store's recruiter. During the call I completed a phone interview and was informed that I was selected for an interview which will be scheduled two days later. My 1:1 interview consisted of meeting with the department manager as well as assistant manager, tour of the department, and completing an IQ/Intelligence test. During the interview the department manager stated that with my prior work experience and education I should consider the cosmetics counter manager position. We then discussed the job duties as well as qualifications required of a cosmetic counter manager. I also provided both managers my preferences of the cosmetics I would like to sell if hired.

I was informed shortly after the 1:1 interview that if selected as a potential candidate I would be receiving a call/email from the account executive of the product I selected to sell if hired. About 4 days later I received a call from the account executive to schedule a interview with her. Unfortunately she couldn't attend due to an illness and it was postpone to the next day. She couldn't attend that day as well however she did call me to conduct a phone interview. Her first and only question was why her company. I answered honestly by stating my business goals and reiterating my work experiences. She loved my answer and stated that I was what her company needs as well as a "breath of fresh air". She informed me that she would send her recommendation via email to the store manager. Two days later I received a call from the department manager with an offer for the cosmetics counter manager and I gladly accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Why Nordstrom?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable working in a sales environment that requires you to meet daily as well as monthly sales quotas?   Answer Question
    I was content with the base salary and commission. Therefore no negotiation was needed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in February 2012.

I walked in one day and talked to the cosmetics manager and asked if they were hiring for MAC. She said yes and to apply online even if it just says a general cosmetics sales associate. The online application consisted of uploading your resume and answering personality questions. Two days later I got an email with a link to choose a date for the phone interview. The link didn't work. I tried it again for about three days and the scheduling system was down. I did a live chat online and they gave me a phone number for a website help line. I called them and they told me to call the store's HR abd they could manually set up a date. I called for three days and no one in hr answers the phone. I finally asked for the cosmetics manager who transfered me and then the woman in hr picked up. She scheduled a phone interview within a couple of days and told me she would call me at 11am. That day came and no call. I waited an hour and then called the store. Again, no one picked up. Called and left messages for the next four days. Still no call. On the fifth day after when my phone interview was supposed to be, I called again and she answered telling me she lost the paper that had my phone number on it but she wanted to know if I could do the phone interview now. Of course I said yes. She asked me basic questions like:
    Why nordstrom?
    Describe a difficult customer.
    Describe a time you didn't reach a goal of yours.
    How do you feel about making commission?
    It took about 10 minutes and then asked about my availability and said a cosmetics manager would call me to schedule an interview. Waiting for phase 2. I see that a lot of people have gone through some type of miscommunication like I have, so we'll see. Hope this helps.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in August 2011.

I applied for Cosmetics Sales, but ended up having my 1:1 in Handbags. The store isn't open yet, so the process is taking longer. My 1:1 had many of the same questions as my phone interview did, with a few more about teamwork and leadeship added to the mix.
    My interview with the HB manager went very well, and she informed me that she is in need of a Design Lead and gave me details on what that would entail and how to show my interest. We discussed the job, the pay, and how the scheduling is managed. She informed me that I would hear back from her by the end of the following week, so now I must wait.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in May 2011.

I submitted an online application, was directed to a 30 min or so personality test, that consisted of alot of the same questions reworded, ( ie. Are you a team player, are you friendly, Multitasker ect. ) Then e mailed to schedule a phone interview, 4 days later I had a very short phone interview, they asked the standard "why nordstrom?" " tell me about the most diffucult customer service problem you have had?" " tell me about a time a co worker was doing something they should not?" " how do you feel about commission sales?" I guess I didn't do all that well, they said they had other applicants to review and would get back to me, It's been a week and I have not heard from them.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a goal you set for yourself and failed to meet?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the worst customer service problem you have had? how did you handle it? and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orem, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orem, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in February 2010.

The interview was pretty easy. I interviewed 1:1 with the Human Resource Manager and he directly took me to interview with the Costmetics/Fragrance Manager. After sitting down in her office and talking about my past experience in other areas, she offered me a job on the spot. I also interviewed with the manager from Hosiery.