Nordstrom

Updated Nov 12, 2014

2.8

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

You have to fill out their application online prior to receiving a call from their HR department. They will ask you questions like, "Why Nordstrom?," or "Name one time as a team, where you have accomplished a goal, & what did you do from there?" If they like how you've responded, they will invite you to the in-person interview.

I went to my in-person interview within a week, & arrived a little late. I was one of the last person interviewed. Again, it was 1-on-1 with HR & the same questions were asked. Once done with the interview, you are taken oj to tje selling floor & you personally meet one of the counter managers. You are told to greet the customer & start a sale. If the customer is wary, find a way to close the sale. I was able to close the sale with ease & was told I would get a callback later that week.

I received a callback the next day offering me a seasonal oncall position with fragrances. But the pay was generous and non-negotiable & 3% commission lightened it. However, I will probably speak to a few cosmetic managers to talk about cosmetic openings as well since I am a cosmetologist.

Interview Questions
  • Why Nordstrom?   View Answer
  • It is nearing the end of the week & you notice you haven't reached your goal. Tell me what would you do & if you still couldn't reach your goal, what would be your initiative to prevent this next week?   View Answer
  • What is most important to you when you're on the selling floor? Tell us what & why.   Answer Question
There wasn't room for negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

You have to apply on their website and then wait for them to contact you; if you want to speed up the process, you can contact the manager of the department that your interested in and tell them you are interested and already have a profile and they will speed up the process for you;

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions about experience for the role you are applying for;   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation; set hourly rate and 3% commission - take it or leave it'

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I have 5 years as a makeup artist and several years in clothing retail experience, but I guess they wanted me to get a job at a sephora/ulta type position before working with them. Doesn't make sense.

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in September 2014.

I applied online and the next day I got an email and I made the appointment for Wednesday at 2:00 PM.They called me around 2:37 PM and the interview lasted about 6 mins.The lady told me they were going to interview more people and call me if I made it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in September 2014.

Interviewed with assistant cosmetics manager, asked questions such as why Nordstroms? team work and selling experience. The manager was pleasant and others were being interviewed for the position by other people. I was told the counters were busy and they were looking for someone to handle and fast and heavy sales load. I was encouraged to re-apply if I saw anything in the future that interested me.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when at work you were in competition with a co-worker and what was the result   View Answer

Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Personality Tests online, two phone interviews, interview with someone from personnel, then offer to interview with Department manger, Then joint interview with Department Manager and vendor, Department manager/vendor/counter manager interview.

This was a very extensive hiring process, yet there are still some employees that have no idea what they are doing!

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if everything you have tried to do for the customer does not calm them down and the customer remains upset?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lonetree, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lonetree, CO

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2014.

Don't get too excited. No matter having years of experience and an actual license unlike many who apply for these jobs, or even the women who work at the counters... they do most of their hiring from within.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in June 2012.

I had wanted to work for the Nordstrom cosmetics department for a long time. I applied online and was called within 24 hours by the department manager for the interview. The interview was very professional (more professional than I would have thought, they didn't ask any personal questions at all) and concise. The first and most prominent question was "Why should I hire you". He also asked about my experience. Additionally, I was asked:

1) Explain a time when you gave outstanding customer service?
    2) How do you feel about making commission?
    3) What motivates you?
    4) What would you do if your sales were under your quota?

He made it pretty clear to me by the end of the interview that I was going to get the job. A few days later, I was called and offed a job. Very excited!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in June 2012.

Applied online to become a cosmetics and fragrances sales associate. About 30 minutes later, received a phone call from store's recruiter. During the call I completed a phone interview and was informed that I was selected for an interview which will be scheduled two days later. My 1:1 interview consisted of meeting with the department manager as well as assistant manager, tour of the department, and completing an IQ/Intelligence test. During the interview the department manager stated that with my prior work experience and education I should consider the cosmetics counter manager position. We then discussed the job duties as well as qualifications required of a cosmetic counter manager. I also provided both managers my preferences of the cosmetics I would like to sell if hired.

I was informed shortly after the 1:1 interview that if selected as a potential candidate I would be receiving a call/email from the account executive of the product I selected to sell if hired. About 4 days later I received a call from the account executive to schedule a interview with her. Unfortunately she couldn't attend due to an illness and it was postpone to the next day. She couldn't attend that day as well however she did call me to conduct a phone interview. Her first and only question was why her company. I answered honestly by stating my business goals and reiterating my work experiences. She loved my answer and stated that I was what her company needs as well as a "breath of fresh air". She informed me that she would send her recommendation via email to the store manager. Two days later I received a call from the department manager with an offer for the cosmetics counter manager and I gladly accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Why Nordstrom?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable working in a sales environment that requires you to meet daily as well as monthly sales quotas?   Answer Question
    I was content with the base salary and commission. Therefore no negotiation was needed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in April 2012.

Met with the Couner Manager and Brand Manager and it was an easygoing get to know you interview. People were very nice and they made it easy to get through. Just be yourself and you will be fine.

No negotiation