Nordstrom Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 11, 2015
Updated Apr 11, 2015

2.8

Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom (Bloomington, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online after being referred by two employees
My application was pulled and I was called to schedule an in person interview
After my interview, they scheduled a technique interview (this was for MAC)
Three days later I had my techno interview, and I was offered the job the same day

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Fort Worth, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I put in an online application one evening and the very next day got an email to set up a phone interview. Did phone interview and was asked to come in for an interview in exactly two weeks.
    Fast forward two weeks, I get there and the lady interviewing me wasn't friendly at all. She was quick and to the point, which is understandable, but at the same time, I want to feel comfortable In a workplace. Anyways, the interview was going well until she asked my availability and I let her know that I work in a spa on weekends and that I would need notice to work Friday and Saturdays so that I could get someone to cover for me at the spa I work at. She let me know that she would need me every Saturday and that it wasn't an option to miss. I feel like my time was wasted, since I stated this over the phone interview. The interview was very rushed and overall it was just an uncomfortable experience. It's a bummer because I was really hoping to work for this company since I feel like I could be a great asset here.

Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview

Interview

They asked me why I wanted to work for them. They asked what I can bring to the table and what sets me apart from the other applicants. They told me they would call me if I made it and I'm still waiting. Most difficult question was what are my weaknesses.

Interview Questions

• What would I do to make sure a customer leaves happy   1 Answer

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

Interview

You have to fill out their application online prior to receiving a call from their HR department. They will ask you questions like, "Why Nordstrom?," or "Name one time as a team, where you have accomplished a goal, & what did you do from there?" If they like how you've responded, they will invite you to the in-person interview.

I went to my in-person interview within a week, & arrived a little late. I was one of the last person interviewed. Again, it was 1-on-1 with HR & the same questions were asked. Once done with the interview, you are taken oj to tje selling floor & you personally meet one of the counter managers. You are told to greet the customer & start a sale. If the customer is wary, find a way to close the sale. I was able to close the sale with ease & was told I would get a callback later that week.

I received a callback the next day offering me a seasonal oncall position with fragrances. But the pay was generous and non-negotiable & 3% commission lightened it. However, I will probably speak to a few cosmetic managers to talk about cosmetic openings as well since I am a cosmetologist.

Interview Questions

• Why Nordstrom?   1 Answer
    • It is nearing the end of the week & you notice you haven't reached your goal. Tell me what would you do & if you still couldn't reach your goal, what would be your initiative to prevent this next week?   1 Answer
    • What is most important to you when you're on the selling floor? Tell us what & why.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't room for negotiation.

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

You have to apply on their website and then wait for them to contact you; if you want to speed up the process, you can contact the manager of the department that your interested in and tell them you are interested and already have a profile and they will speed up the process for you;

Interview Questions

• Basic questions about experience for the role you are applying for;   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation; set hourly rate and 3% commission - take it or leave it'

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Interview

I have 5 years as a makeup artist and several years in clothing retail experience, but I guess they wanted me to get a job at a sephora/ulta type position before working with them. Doesn't make sense.

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and the next day I got an email and I made the appointment for Wednesday at 2:00 PM.They called me around 2:37 PM and the interview lasted about 6 mins.The lady told me they were going to interview more people and call me if I made it.

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom (Paterson, NJ) in September 2014.

Interview

Interviewed with assistant cosmetics manager, asked questions such as why Nordstroms? team work and selling experience. The manager was pleasant and others were being interviewed for the position by other people. I was told the counters were busy and they were looking for someone to handle and fast and heavy sales load. I was encouraged to re-apply if I saw anything in the future that interested me.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when at work you were in competition with a co-worker and what was the result   1 Answer

Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Personality Tests online, two phone interviews, interview with someone from personnel, then offer to interview with Department manger, Then joint interview with Department Manager and vendor, Department manager/vendor/counter manager interview.

This was a very extensive hiring process, yet there are still some employees that have no idea what they are doing!

Interview Questions

• What would you do if everything you have tried to do for the customer does not calm them down and the customer remains upset?   1 Answer

Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom (Lonetree, CO) in June 2014.

Interview

Don't get too excited. No matter having years of experience and an actual license unlike many who apply for these jobs, or even the women who work at the counters... they do most of their hiring from within.