Nordstrom Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015
Updated Apr 8, 2015

2.5

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

I applied online and received a request for a phone interview with the Seattle office a few days later. The phone interview went well and the woman invited me into the store to have an in person interview a week later. I was excited for this interview, except when I got there and realized there were 3 other people there, applying for the same exact position as me and we were going to have a group interview. The woman said they would do a group interview so we didn't have to "waste" time waiting for each interview to be over. One woman interviewed me and another girl, and another woman interviewed two other girls. We were all in the same room which was distracting because I could hear the other groups discussion- we were literally sitting right next to each other. Six people in one room interviewing for a coumter manager job is not professional at all and very distracting. Seems like they didn't want to waste time with all of us individually because they probably already had someone from within that they were hiring.
The woman was going back and forth with the same questions between me and the other girl and writing our answers down. She kept mixing up our answers and writing my answers on the other girls sheet. I really did not like the group interview process at all. I feel that she didn't get a chance to know me personally. Plus, the other girl kept taking my answers and repeating what I was saying. Pretty strange interview- expected more from a Fortune 500 company. I also expected more given that I was interviewing for a managerial position- very improper.
Two days later I got a call saying they hired someone else. I thought this was funny given that I interviewed on a Friday, this store is closed on Sunday and they called me Monday morning to tell me I didn't get the job. The process for getting a counter manager job is longer than 2 days since you have to go for a second interview to meet with the department manager, and I don't see how that would be possible in two days. I'm pretty sure they hired someone within their store for the position and just decided to waste our time to make it look like they at least tried to hire outside people. Huge waste of time, not to mention unprofessional especially having 5 years prior cosmetic experience and giving great answers during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a disgruntled customer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Applied on line, received an email from HR for interview times. Face to face with department manager. Then a phone interview with the vendor rep for the line assignment. Then department manager called back to let you know the results.

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Short Hills, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online. A few days later, I received an email to schedule a phone scanning interview. It was fairly basic asking questions about myself, my professional experience, and of course...."Why Nordstrom". This process only took about 10-15 minutes. I spoke about my management experience, entrepreneurial skills, abilities to drive sales and motivate a team. The interview went well and it was overall very pleasant. At the end of this call I was given a "second" interview, first in person 1:1 interview, and I was given direction to go to the second floor outside of the St John's department and wait there. After I arrived early for this interview, I waited where I was told an no-one ever came. A few minutes before my interview was "scheduled" to begin I asked an employee where the HR department was & headed to the 3rd floor for that. I then was told to wait in the chair on the floor for the assistant manager. (Miscommunication between home office & store)

I was taken into the office for a formal interview which explained the company climate and different departments and the hierarchy, etc. Standard questions: "Why Nordstrom", "Tell me about your self", and the typical "tell me about a troublesome customer experience and how you dealt with it" stuff. The interviewing manager said it was a great interview but since we had no open position that since we already interviewed, she would be able to "refer" me to another store with openings. A week after I emailed her & asked for that referral & I never heard back...

The interview was closed with a bait-and-switch conversation. I applied for a specific job, job description was listed and all, even at a specific store locations. But at the end of my interview, the manager explained they are always interviewing and there isn't really an opening.

Waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? Why Nordstrom? Tell me about a time with an unhappy customer, and how you dealt with it?   1 Answer

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Edison, NJ).

Interview

I interviewed with the assistant cosmetics manager first. This was huge waste of my time. She asked me basic questions. I honestly think she thought I was applying for a beauty advisor position. She seemed surprised when I asked about the expectations of a counter manager. Then she said that all the manager positions were filled! (Then why was the application to become one still online and why was I asked to come in for an interview???) then she said that a manager position for laura mercier is in the works and that I may qualify for that. Then she left and I had to wait 20 mins to speak with the dept manager. She finally come and asked the same questions I just answered. I figured I would have to be the one to ask about the laura mercier position and when I did, she said they already have someone they were looking to hire.

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Denver, CO) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The online application included a brief personality assessment. I was contacted via email the following day to set up a brief phone screen with HR. The phone screen with HR was very easy/casual and took about 10-15 minutes. I was asked basic questions such as, "Why do you want to work for Nordstrom?" I was asked about my availability and briefly discussed work history. After the phone screen, I was asked to come in for an interview with the Cosmetics Department Manager, which was scheduled for the following week. The interview with the department manager took about 30-45 minutes, and I was asked typical retail sales/management interview questions. We discussed the brands that were in need of a manager, and she explained that it was partly the brand representative's decision in regard to hiring for that position. Because I already had a relationship with my brand of choice's rep, I did not need to interview with the brand rep. The following week, I was contacted via phone by the department manager and offered the position.

Interview Questions

• "Why do you want to work for Nordstrom?" "How do you stay positive in a negative situation?" "Which counter would you like to manage?" "Explain about a time when you had to deal with an unhappy customer." Basic "Explain a time when..." questions.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Interview

Applied online, got an email confirmation the next day asking to set up a phone interview. Ten minute phone interview the following day. Was asked about customer service experience, how I've dealt with a difficult situation, how I've dealt with a failure, how would I do in a competitive environment, why I wanted to work for Nordstrom and what locations I most wanted to work at. Was told I sounded like a great candidate and an in-person interview with a manager was set up for ten days later.
    Interview was with an assistant manager. It was very casual. We spoke in the offices. I outlined my experience with emphasis on customer service. We discussed which brands I thought I was a good fit for, how passionate I was about skin care. She brought me downstairs to meet the dept. manager. I again outlined my relevant work experience. He asked, "Why Nordstrom?" and wanted to know if I was competitive. He seemed to like my answers. The assistant manager then gave me her contact info and said she would be in touch soon. I got a call two hours later saying they wanted me to meet the vendor rep for the line they had in mind for me. In less than an hour I got a call from the rep. We set up a meeting for a few days later.
    Once again I outlined my relevant experience, she told me a bit about her brand, goals for this particular counter. She wanted me to visit a counter at another store to experience their service and call her back if I thought it was a good fit.
    I emailed her back to say I wanted to move forward with the brand. She said she would be in touch with Nordstrom. Three days later I got a call saying they didn't think my experience was adequate for the position.

Interview Questions

• I wish I had prepped and thought of experiences to share before I was on the phone. I ran through numerous possible scenarios before my in-person interview so I wouldn't have to waste time trying to remember a specific event.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in January 2015.

Interview

this was just the phone interview. This is a pretty general phone interview and they ask customer service questions so be prepared with scenarios where you've made disgruntled customers satisfied etc. They also ask about the specific location and your answer should be yes you're solely interested in that location.

Interview Questions

• explain a time when your performance was compared to others? (tricky question)   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in December 2014.

Interview

I was contacted to meet for an interview in front of the Espresso Bar. The interviewer was very pleasant and professional. She was very informative and knowledgable. The meeting place was very public that I felt the other tables can hear our conversations. There was a lot of distractions.

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Corte Madera, CA).

Interview

After taking a personality test and submitting my application, I was called by the HR Director to set up a phone interview. During that 15ish minute interview, she asked me why I wanted to work at Nordstrom, what department I wanted to work in, why I felt I would be a good candidate for that department position and a few other questions regarding my previous experience. After that, I was called in for an onsite interview where I met with the Cosmetics Department Manager. She asked questions similar to the above then requested that I did her makeup, and while doing her make-up sell her the products, the goal being that she would purchase something at the end. We did not break character during the make-up application. The onsite interview lasted about 45 minutes total. I was called two days later and offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Would you consider yourself competitive?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was told the hourly and commission rate at the offer stage. I chose not to negotiate because the rate was within my range.

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

It's taken some time to see results. I applied on line, met w/the head of the cosmetics dept. and told I need to pass a phone review from talent plus.which has now, as of 3 days After meeting w Dept Head and told I was a "perfect fit", the phone call has Not taken place.