Nordstrom Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Peabody, MA

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Peabody, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Something that bothered me before going into the interview: There were about 5 counter manager positions open at this location. Hiring process consisted of 3 interviews and took about a week. First interview was from corporate asking generic retail questions: how did you deal with a difficult customer? How do you feel about working weekends? How do you manage others? Second interview was in store. At this interview I was disappointed at Nordstrom's sense of professionalism. I interviewed with the shoe department manager. In the middle of the interview she walked out because she didn't know what questions to ask. After talking for about 1/2 hr & her taking notes she took me to the cosmetic department to find a cosmetic employee to have role play customer shopping for makeup & I would sell her something. I basically sold her a full face w/ a luxurious skincare regiment. At this point as I was being interviewed I would see 8 of the department employees in a circle watching the whole thing take place. I didn't pay any mind/attention but what are they doing just hanging out like that? Interview number 3 was with the Executive of the brand. She was 35 min late but was very nice. We chatted about everything & anything. She was very impressed with my energy, dedication & goal oriented personality. She basically told me I got the job. I shook her hand firmly & went home. 20 minutes later I got a phone call from the cosmetic department manager offering me (7+ years of cosmetic retail experience) $18/hr to manage a super high end counter. I was shocked at how low the amount was. I politely declined letting her know that I wouldn't take anything under what I stated in my application & to keep me in mind when a better suited position comes up.

Interview Questions

$18/hr to manage a luxurious cosmetic counter is a joke. Do not try to fluff things up with "gratis." Gratis does not pay the bills. I am disappointed because I genuinely love the brand & would have done a wonderful job generation business to it. Also -- as I was being interviewed I interviewed Nordstrom work environment: do I want to work in a place where 5 ppl just left at the same time? Do I want to work at a place where girls huddle, chat & giggle as someone is being interviewed? Overall it did not seem like a very professional environment.

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Norfolk, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and had a phone interview a few days later. Phone interview was short and sweet and I was asked in for a group one on one interview a week later. At the one on one interview we were all divided into our individual rooms by the person heading the department interviewing for. A week later got a call I'd be hearing from the vendor for an interview with them. The following week heard from the vendor but did not have an interview she just went over what I'd expect once I started. The following day (today) got a call back from Nordstrom offering me a position with them.

Interview Questions

• general interview questions. give an example of an angry customer and what you did to calm them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't really negotiate salary I just really want a job been looking in my area over a year now I took the first offer I got :-)

Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Tukwila, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview was extremely brief. I was asked 3 questions about availability and how I feel about working on commission and then was told "I've enjoyed talking with you and would like to invite you for an in-person interview." Quite the screening process! At the in-person interview the manager rushed through it and spent a total of 12 minutes with me. She asked me some behavioral questions like what I would do in certain situations. At the end of the interview she didn't even ask me if I had any questions for her...I thought that was strange.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Saint Louis, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

Questions were geared around customer service and how to handle customer satisfaction. I was asked if working weekends and evenings are an issue. Employees must be available to work weekends and evenings or you will not get hired.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest customer service situation you have been in? How did you handle it? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Tacoma, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online-received email confirmation-received email to set up an over the phone interview-set up time for 9am-received call after 10am. Interview lasted less than 5 minutes due to some days/hours I could not work due to religious obligations.

Interview Questions

• Why was I interested & What hours or days was I unavailable   1 Answer

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

I applied online and received a request for a phone interview with the Seattle office a few days later. The phone interview went well and the woman invited me into the store to have an in person interview a week later. I was excited for this interview, except when I got there and realized there were 3 other people there, applying for the same exact position as me and we were going to have a group interview. The woman said they would do a group interview so we didn't have to "waste" time waiting for each interview to be over. One woman interviewed me and another girl, and another woman interviewed two other girls. We were all in the same room which was distracting because I could hear the other groups discussion- we were literally sitting right next to each other. Six people in one room interviewing for a coumter manager job is not professional at all and very distracting. Seems like they didn't want to waste time with all of us individually because they probably already had someone from within that they were hiring. The woman was going back and forth with the same questions between me and the other girl and writing our answers down. She kept mixing up our answers and writing my answers on the other girls sheet. I really did not like the group interview process at all. I feel that she didn't get a chance to know me personally. Plus, the other girl kept taking my answers and repeating what I was saying. Pretty strange interview- expected more from a Fortune 500 company. I also expected more given that I was interviewing for a managerial position- very improper. Two days later I got a call saying they hired someone else. I thought this was funny given that I interviewed on a Friday, this store is closed on Sunday and they called me Monday morning to tell me I didn't get the job. The process for getting a counter manager job is longer than 2 days since you have to go for a second interview to meet with the department manager, and I don't see how that would be possible in two days. I'm pretty sure they hired someone within their store for the position and just decided to waste our time to make it look like they at least tried to hire outside people. Huge waste of time, not to mention unprofessional especially having 5 years prior cosmetic experience and giving great answers during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a disgruntled customer.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Applied on line, received an email from HR for interview times. Face to face with department manager. Then a phone interview with the vendor rep for the line assignment. Then department manager called back to let you know the results.

Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Short Hills, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online. A few days later, I received an email to schedule a phone scanning interview. It was fairly basic asking questions about myself, my professional experience, and of course...."Why Nordstrom". This process only took about 10-15 minutes. I spoke about my management experience, entrepreneurial skills, abilities to drive sales and motivate a team. The interview went well and it was overall very pleasant. At the end of this call I was given a "second" interview, first in person 1:1 interview, and I was given direction to go to the second floor outside of the St John's department and wait there. After I arrived early for this interview, I waited where I was told an no-one ever came. A few minutes before my interview was "scheduled" to begin I asked an employee where the HR department was & headed to the 3rd floor for that. I then was told to wait in the chair on the floor for the assistant manager. (Miscommunication between home office & store) I was taken into the office for a formal interview which explained the company climate and different departments and the hierarchy, etc. Standard questions: "Why Nordstrom", "Tell me about your self", and the typical "tell me about a troublesome customer experience and how you dealt with it" stuff. The interviewing manager said it was a great interview but since we had no open position that since we already interviewed, she would be able to "refer" me to another store with openings. A week after I emailed her & asked for that referral & I never heard back... The interview was closed with a bait-and-switch conversation. I applied for a specific job, job description was listed and all, even at a specific store locations. But at the end of my interview, the manager explained they are always interviewing and there isn't really an opening. Waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? Why Nordstrom? Tell me about a time with an unhappy customer, and how you dealt with it?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Edison, NJ).

Interview

I interviewed with the assistant cosmetics manager first. This was huge waste of my time. She asked me basic questions. I honestly think she thought I was applying for a beauty advisor position. She seemed surprised when I asked about the expectations of a counter manager. Then she said that all the manager positions were filled! (Then why was the application to become one still online and why was I asked to come in for an interview???) then she said that a manager position for laura mercier is in the works and that I may qualify for that. Then she left and I had to wait 20 mins to speak with the dept manager. She finally come and asked the same questions I just answered. I figured I would have to be the one to ask about the laura mercier position and when I did, she said they already have someone they were looking to hire.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Denver, CO) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The online application included a brief personality assessment. I was contacted via email the following day to set up a brief phone screen with HR. The phone screen with HR was very easy/casual and took about 10-15 minutes. I was asked basic questions such as, "Why do you want to work for Nordstrom?" I was asked about my availability and briefly discussed work history. After the phone screen, I was asked to come in for an interview with the Cosmetics Department Manager, which was scheduled for the following week. The interview with the department manager took about 30-45 minutes, and I was asked typical retail sales/management interview questions. We discussed the brands that were in need of a manager, and she explained that it was partly the brand representative's decision in regard to hiring for that position. Because I already had a relationship with my brand of choice's rep, I did not need to interview with the brand rep. The following week, I was contacted via phone by the department manager and offered the position.

Interview Questions

• "Why do you want to work for Nordstrom?" "How do you stay positive in a negative situation?" "Which counter would you like to manage?" "Explain about a time when you had to deal with an unhappy customer." Basic "Explain a time when..." questions.   Answer Question