Nordstrom

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in July 2014.

Interview Details – Open interview at 10 am, asked to arrive by 9:50. I arrived at 9:45. We were brought into a room full of tables. Each applicant sat with one or two managers, so make sure to focus on the conversation at hand and do not get distracted by the conversations going on around you. (Very realistic in a retail environment). Spoke with two sales managers of cosmetics, who asked standard questions from a packet, which they filled out. This took about 15 or 20 minutes. Then we went downstairs and did a role play scenario where I had to sell them a product. This lasted an additional 10 minutes. Finally, I was brought upstairs to meet with the Store Manager. Each employee I spoke with gave me their business card, which made Thank You emails very easy. Overall the entire experience lasted 50 minutes from the time I arrived, to the time I left. No offer was extended to me, but I was told I would hear from them in 24-48 hours.

Interview Question – The role play activity was unexpected and so was meeting the store manager. Be prepared for this when interviewing!   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in January 2010.

Interview Details – It was pretty quick. The interview was short and to the point and I was offered a job on the spot. I had to provide examples of what I would do in certain sales situations and how I would close a sale. They do insinuate you make your own hours and don't have to work every weekend but that is not necessarily true when you start.

Interview Question – They asked the typical questions regarding the most challenging situation you have ever had to handle and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview

Cosmetic Counter Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – I applied online and a few days later I got a call from human resources and she gave me a phone interview. She called on a Saturday night so I was really surprised and unprepared. She asked basic interview questions like why I wanted to work there, asked about my last job, availability and things like that. Then she asked me in for an interview with the cosmetics manager for that Monday. In that interview it was a lot of questions like name a time where this happened and what did you do. And other questions relating to prior experience. He told me he would call me in 3 days to let me know either way but I never got a phone call. On the 4th day I called and left a message just asking if they had made a decision yet and they never called me back. I thought that was extremely unprofessional especially considering I thought my interview went really well.

Interview Question – What would you do if you haven't met your sales goals for the day?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details – Easy, mostly questioned previous experience with customer service and sales

Interview Question – she handed me an eraser and asked me to role play with her and to pretend the eraser was an eye cream   View Answer

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details – There asked very specific questions about how you may have handled a customer service issue in the past. what are your strengths, what are your weaknesses. How do you work with a team? are you a team player? Tell me about a time you had a conflict with someone on your team and how you handled it. How do you like to be communicated with?

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – What really annoyed me what the rate they were willing to pay me was not even mentioned until they job offered me (this was after 3 interviews)

Portland, OR

I applied online and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Two interviews. One with the Nordstrom department manager and the second with the cosmetic line manager. Both had the same basic customer service questions. Before your interview you have to take a 150 question online test. It wasn't hard or intimidating.

Interview Question – strengths and weaknessess I always get nervous answering that question!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Barley any negotiation. The 3% commission is presented to you like it's gold for every 1,000 you sell you get $30 in commission.

Cosmetics Counter Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – I interviewed at 3 different locations. They were all different. At one store, I interviewed with the department manager. At another store, I interviewed with a large group of people with a few department heads. The 3rd store I interviewed with HR.

Interview Question – Was there a time you never met your goal.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Cosmetics Counter Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – The normal questions. But they are looking for a specific attitude and personality.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions for anyone who has worked in a commission based retail position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I knew what to ask for and they agreed.

Cosmetics Counter Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – phone interview 1st then 3 interviews one with department manager hr manager and account executive for that counter

Interview Question – what are your faults or can work on.. Make sure you know the line you are applying for because they will ask you what you know about the line.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, filled out basic application questions, took small personality test, uploaded résumé. The next day I received an email thanking me for applying and letting me know they thought I have the qualifications they were looking for and to click the link in the email to schedule a time to have a phone interview. I clicked the link, but since it was Friday after 5pm, I wasn't able to assign a time until HR returned monday to the office and posted when they were available. That was frustrating but finally the time appeared and I was able to book it for them to call me. On the day of my interview, they called on the dot and rained very friendly yet pretty professional. It seemed like the person screening me was just going through a checklist to see if I qualified. After answering basic getting to know you questions, I was invited to the store for an in person interview. Will update this with results!

Interview Question – Pretty straight forward questions about me and my history with sales and customer service.

Why Nordstrom?
When was there a time you went above and beyond for a customer?
Am I comfortable working under commission?
How would I accomplish success by helping a customer?
  Answer Question

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!