Nordstrom

2.5

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

After taking a personality test and submitting my application, I was called by the HR Director to set up a phone interview. During that 15ish minute interview, she asked me why I wanted to work at Nordstrom, what department I wanted to work in, why I felt I would be a good candidate for that department position and a few other questions regarding my previous experience. After that, I was called in for an onsite interview where I met with the Cosmetics Department Manager. She asked questions similar to the above then requested that I did her makeup, and while doing her make-up sell her the products, the goal being that she would purchase something at the end. We did not break character during the make-up application. The onsite interview lasted about 45 minutes total. I was called two days later and offered the position.

Interview Questions
  • Would you consider yourself competitive?   View Answer
I was told the hourly and commission rate at the offer stage. I chose not to negotiate because the rate was within my range.

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

It's taken some time to see results. I applied on line, met w/the head of the cosmetics dept. and told I need to pass a phone review from talent plus.which has now, as of 3 days After meeting w Dept Head and told I was a "perfect fit", the phone call has Not taken place.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in September 2014.

I first interviewed with the department assistant manager and went through really generic interview questions, then did some role playing on the floor for 5 minutes. When I wascalled for my second interview with the department manager, she had me come in to interview for a higher position instead, so it was nice that they saw and acted on potential. She asked me the same questions and explained the higher position. I thought I had a good understanding of the position, but it wasn't what I expected. Asking for a detailed day in the life would've been helpful. Lastly, I had a phone interview with the district manager for cosmetics. Same basic questions. This step was only necessary as I was no longer interviewing for a counter position. Had I been, I may have ended with the dept manager or spoke with whichever brand's account executive on the phone. I was then called and offered the position with salary details and a proposed start date. The whole process took maybe 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    I received a generous offer so there wasn't any negotiating done. I asked for the weekend to consider it and was given that, and accepted on Monday. I think if I had proposed a higher hourly pay, I could've gotten it, but the commission rate is set by the department therefore non-negotiable

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

Applied online and got an email within 24 hours to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview human resources asked why Nordstoms, tell me your experience, and questions about how I would do in a commission environment and what is my availability. The phone conversation was less than ten minutes and human resources asked for an in person interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

Got an email for phone interview got offered to meet the department manager and a 3rd interview with the cosmetic company vendor regional manager strict dress code for the brand I'm working for and they love cleanliness at the counter and a great attitude always stay positive even if sales aren't going well fun energetic

Interview Questions
    • Why nordstrom ? Wanted to know if I had a angry customer what would I do   View Answer
    No negotiation just accept

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in July 2014.

Open interview at 10 am, asked to arrive by 9:50. I arrived at 9:45. We were brought into a room full of tables. Each applicant sat with one or two managers, so make sure to focus on the conversation at hand and do not get distracted by the conversations going on around you. (Very realistic in a retail environment). Spoke with two sales managers of cosmetics, who asked standard questions from a packet, which they filled out. This took about 15 or 20 minutes. Then we went downstairs and did a role play scenario where I had to sell them a product. This lasted an additional 10 minutes. Finally, I was brought upstairs to meet with the Store Manager. Each employee I spoke with gave me their business card, which made Thank You emails very easy. Overall the entire experience lasted 50 minutes from the time I arrived, to the time I left. No offer was extended to me, but I was told I would hear from them in 24-48 hours.

Interview Questions
    • The role play activity was unexpected and so was meeting the store manager. Be prepared for this when interviewing!   Answer Question

Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online and a few days later I got a call from human resources and she gave me a phone interview. She called on a Saturday night so I was really surprised and unprepared. She asked basic interview questions like why I wanted to work there, asked about my last job, availability and things like that. Then she asked me in for an interview with the cosmetics manager for that Monday. In that interview it was a lot of questions like name a time where this happened and what did you do. And other questions relating to prior experience. He told me he would call me in 3 days to let me know either way but I never got a phone call. On the 4th day I called and left a message just asking if they had made a decision yet and they never called me back. I thought that was extremely unprofessional especially considering I thought my interview went really well.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you haven't met your sales goals for the day?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Easy, mostly questioned previous experience with customer service and sales

Interview Questions
    • she handed me an eraser and asked me to role play with her and to pretend the eraser was an eye cream   View Answer

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

There asked very specific questions about how you may have handled a customer service issue in the past. what are your strengths, what are your weaknesses. How do you work with a team? are you a team player? Tell me about a time you had a conflict with someone on your team and how you handled it. How do you like to be communicated with?

Interview Questions
    What really annoyed me what the rate they were willing to pay me was not even mentioned until they job offered me (this was after 3 interviews)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Two interviews. One with the Nordstrom department manager and the second with the cosmetic line manager. Both had the same basic customer service questions. Before your interview you have to take a 150 question online test. It wasn't hard or intimidating.

Interview Questions
    • strengths and weaknessess I always get nervous answering that question!   Answer Question
    Barley any negotiation. The 3% commission is presented to you like it's gold for every 1,000 you sell you get $30 in commission.