Nordstrom

Updated Jan 19, 2015

2.5

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Applied online, got an email confirmation the next day asking to set up a phone interview. Ten minute phone interview the following day. Was asked about customer service experience, how I've dealt with a difficult situation, how I've dealt with a failure, how would I do in a competitive environment, why I wanted to work for Nordstrom and what locations I most wanted to work at. Was told I sounded like a great candidate and an in-person interview with a manager was set up for ten days later.
Interview was with an assistant manager. It was very casual. We spoke in the offices. I outlined my experience with emphasis on customer service. We discussed which brands I thought I was a good fit for, how passionate I was about skin care. She brought me downstairs to meet the dept. manager. I again outlined my relevant work experience. He asked, "Why Nordstrom?" and wanted to know if I was competitive. He seemed to like my answers. The assistant manager then gave me her contact info and said she would be in touch soon. I got a call two hours later saying they wanted me to meet the vendor rep for the line they had in mind for me. In less than an hour I got a call from the rep. We set up a meeting for a few days later.
Once again I outlined my relevant experience, she told me a bit about her brand, goals for this particular counter. She wanted me to visit a counter at another store to experience their service and call her back if I thought it was a good fit.
I emailed her back to say I wanted to move forward with the brand. She said she would be in touch with Nordstrom. Three days later I got a call saying they didn't think my experience was adequate for the position.

Interview Questions
  • I wish I had prepped and thought of experiences to share before I was on the phone. I ran through numerous possible scenarios before my in-person interview so I wouldn't have to waste time trying to remember a specific event.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in January 2015.

this was just the phone interview. This is a pretty general phone interview and they ask customer service questions so be prepared with scenarios where you've made disgruntled customers satisfied etc. They also ask about the specific location and your answer should be yes you're solely interested in that location.

Interview Questions
    • explain a time when your performance was compared to others? (tricky question)   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in December 2014.

I was contacted to meet for an interview in front of the Espresso Bar. The interviewer was very pleasant and professional. She was very informative and knowledgable. The meeting place was very public that I felt the other tables can hear our conversations. There was a lot of distractions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

After taking a personality test and submitting my application, I was called by the HR Director to set up a phone interview. During that 15ish minute interview, she asked me why I wanted to work at Nordstrom, what department I wanted to work in, why I felt I would be a good candidate for that department position and a few other questions regarding my previous experience. After that, I was called in for an onsite interview where I met with the Cosmetics Department Manager. She asked questions similar to the above then requested that I did her makeup, and while doing her make-up sell her the products, the goal being that she would purchase something at the end. We did not break character during the make-up application. The onsite interview lasted about 45 minutes total. I was called two days later and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Would you consider yourself competitive?   View Answer
    I was told the hourly and commission rate at the offer stage. I chose not to negotiate because the rate was within my range.

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

It's taken some time to see results. I applied on line, met w/the head of the cosmetics dept. and told I need to pass a phone review from talent plus.which has now, as of 3 days After meeting w Dept Head and told I was a "perfect fit", the phone call has Not taken place.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in September 2014.

I first interviewed with the department assistant manager and went through really generic interview questions, then did some role playing on the floor for 5 minutes. When I wascalled for my second interview with the department manager, she had me come in to interview for a higher position instead, so it was nice that they saw and acted on potential. She asked me the same questions and explained the higher position. I thought I had a good understanding of the position, but it wasn't what I expected. Asking for a detailed day in the life would've been helpful. Lastly, I had a phone interview with the district manager for cosmetics. Same basic questions. This step was only necessary as I was no longer interviewing for a counter position. Had I been, I may have ended with the dept manager or spoke with whichever brand's account executive on the phone. I was then called and offered the position with salary details and a proposed start date. The whole process took maybe 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    I received a generous offer so there wasn't any negotiating done. I asked for the weekend to consider it and was given that, and accepted on Monday. I think if I had proposed a higher hourly pay, I could've gotten it, but the commission rate is set by the department therefore non-negotiable

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

Applied online and got an email within 24 hours to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview human resources asked why Nordstoms, tell me your experience, and questions about how I would do in a commission environment and what is my availability. The phone conversation was less than ten minutes and human resources asked for an in person interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

Got an email for phone interview got offered to meet the department manager and a 3rd interview with the cosmetic company vendor regional manager strict dress code for the brand I'm working for and they love cleanliness at the counter and a great attitude always stay positive even if sales aren't going well fun energetic

Interview Questions
    • Why nordstrom ? Wanted to know if I had a angry customer what would I do   View Answer
    No negotiation just accept

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in July 2014.

Open interview at 10 am, asked to arrive by 9:50. I arrived at 9:45. We were brought into a room full of tables. Each applicant sat with one or two managers, so make sure to focus on the conversation at hand and do not get distracted by the conversations going on around you. (Very realistic in a retail environment). Spoke with two sales managers of cosmetics, who asked standard questions from a packet, which they filled out. This took about 15 or 20 minutes. Then we went downstairs and did a role play scenario where I had to sell them a product. This lasted an additional 10 minutes. Finally, I was brought upstairs to meet with the Store Manager. Each employee I spoke with gave me their business card, which made Thank You emails very easy. Overall the entire experience lasted 50 minutes from the time I arrived, to the time I left. No offer was extended to me, but I was told I would hear from them in 24-48 hours.

Interview Questions
    • The role play activity was unexpected and so was meeting the store manager. Be prepared for this when interviewing!   Answer Question

Cosmetic Counter Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online and a few days later I got a call from human resources and she gave me a phone interview. She called on a Saturday night so I was really surprised and unprepared. She asked basic interview questions like why I wanted to work there, asked about my last job, availability and things like that. Then she asked me in for an interview with the cosmetics manager for that Monday. In that interview it was a lot of questions like name a time where this happened and what did you do. And other questions relating to prior experience. He told me he would call me in 3 days to let me know either way but I never got a phone call. On the 4th day I called and left a message just asking if they had made a decision yet and they never called me back. I thought that was extremely unprofessional especially considering I thought my interview went really well.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you haven't met your sales goals for the day?   Answer Question