Nordstrom

Getting the Interview

17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details – Easy, mostly questioned previous experience with customer service and sales

Interview Question – she handed me an eraser and asked me to role play with her and to pretend the eraser was an eye cream   View Answer

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details – There asked very specific questions about how you may have handled a customer service issue in the past. what are your strengths, what are your weaknesses. How do you work with a team? are you a team player? Tell me about a time you had a conflict with someone on your team and how you handled it. How do you like to be communicated with?

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – What really annoyed me what the rate they were willing to pay me was not even mentioned until they job offered me (this was after 3 interviews)

Portland, OR

I applied online and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Two interviews. One with the Nordstrom department manager and the second with the cosmetic line manager. Both had the same basic customer service questions. Before your interview you have to take a 150 question online test. It wasn't hard or intimidating.

Interview Question – strengths and weaknessess I always get nervous answering that question!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Barley any negotiation. The 3% commission is presented to you like it's gold for every 1,000 you sell you get $30 in commission.

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – I interviewed at 3 different locations. They were all different. At one store, I interviewed with the department manager. At another store, I interviewed with a large group of people with a few department heads. The 3rd store I interviewed with HR.

Interview Question – Was there a time you never met your goal.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Cosmetics Counter Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – phone interview 1st then 3 interviews one with department manager hr manager and account executive for that counter

Interview Question – what are your faults or can work on.. Make sure you know the line you are applying for because they will ask you what you know about the line.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – The normal questions. But they are looking for a specific attitude and personality.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions for anyone who has worked in a commission based retail position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I knew what to ask for and they agreed.

Cosmetics Counter Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, filled out basic application questions, took small personality test, uploaded résumé. The next day I received an email thanking me for applying and letting me know they thought I have the qualifications they were looking for and to click the link in the email to schedule a time to have a phone interview. I clicked the link, but since it was Friday after 5pm, I wasn't able to assign a time until HR returned monday to the office and posted when they were available. That was frustrating but finally the time appeared and I was able to book it for them to call me. On the day of my interview, they called on the dot and rained very friendly yet pretty professional. It seemed like the person screening me was just going through a checklist to see if I qualified. After answering basic getting to know you questions, I was invited to the store for an in person interview. Will update this with results!

Interview Question – Pretty straight forward questions about me and my history with sales and customer service.

Why Nordstrom?
When was there a time you went above and beyond for a customer?
Am I comfortable working under commission?
How would I accomplish success by helping a customer?
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Cosmetics Counter Manager

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Nordstrom in September 2012.

Interview Details – initial phone interview, group information session followed by individual interviews with department managers. During the interview the manager filled out a basic form based on my answers. I was offered the job during the interview.

Interview Question – Very basic interview, mostly about customer service experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – offered more than I expected

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Great Interview Questions such as:

Why Nordstrom?
Do you like working with people?
What does Customer Service consist of to you?
How do you handle difficult customers?
How do you handle a situation when an employee is doing something unethical? What would you do?
What does being a Sales and Counter Manager mean to you?
What are you going to do to contribute to a Team?

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a situation where you exceeded a customer's expectations?
    Have you ever over-promised and underdelivered?
      View Answer
  • Are you available to work on nights, weekends and Holidays?   View Answer

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2012.

Interview Details – Quick, easy, applied on line , saw an opening for cosmetics did all the initial process from home, then Nordstrom called me within 2 weeks, scheduled me for an interview, and then a second interview and I got hired.

Interview Question – What did I think of micromanage   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy and they were very accessible.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Nordstrom

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom Cosmetics Counter Manager interview questions and advice. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees and interview candidates.