Nordstrom Department Manager Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.5

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Department Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

one interview with the store manager. This was as transfer from one store to another so the interview process was a bit easier than most. As long as your confident that you knowledge and experience necessary for running a department and show that you know what you are doing you will pass the interview easily.

negotiated salary

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Department Manager Interview

You need to love customer service. Our company has a tradition of an outside of the box to please our customers, be sure which position you want to work, be passionate and honest

Interview Questions
    • all the questions are pretty simple, be honest at all times   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

apply online. Taleo system is used to sort applicants. HR does first interview. If applicable Department Manager does 2nd interview. Background checks are performed. Offer made by Department Manger, HR does notifies rejections.

Interview Questions
    There are no negotiations.

Department Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Phone screening with recruiter. Following week interview with regional manager and Head Chef and after that another interview with a GM. The total interview process took 30 days.

Interview Questions
    • Both in person interviews were very professional but not with a lot of Q&A, but more like a conversation about past experiences in the field. Maybe the most unexpected question was what is favorite restaurant to eat and why.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nordstrom in October 2013.

Hired over the phone. No formal interview. They checked my references and spoke to my current department manager, store manager and regional manager and offered me the job that same day.

Interview Questions
    • What is is your biggest opportunity (what can you work on)?   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Nordstrom is known for promoting from within, which is why interviewing for a department manager is a different experience every single time. I was promoted from within my store and already had rapport with my store manager, so I literally expressed my interested then applied online. I was job offered a few days later.

From outside of a store / region, however, the process is a bit different. Normally, you would interview with the regional for that division, then the store manager.

Interview Questions
    • Since I never went through a formal interview there was nothing to throw me off.   Answer Question
    You can negotiate. However, I did not. Normally there is very little room to budge with salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in August 2011.

Nordstrom has a detailed interview process which makes it easy and fair for both the interviewer and interviewee. Those interested in working for the company may apply online and the company is very good about responding to interested parties in that manner. The hiring process is clear, done in a quick and concise manner, and completed usually within a matter of weeks.

Interview Questions
    • When applying for a sales position, I was handed an item my manager was holding and he asked me to sell it to him on the spot. Fun, but I had to think on my feet and in the moment.   View Answer
    Because it was a sales position, it was a straight offer and there was no negotiation in it.

Department Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2010.

Store manager chat.
    Store goals and career path

N/A

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in May 2008.

One Phone Interview
    One in person Interview
    When I first started working for the company I was only applying for a summer cashiering job so my process was not that difficult. I was promoted from within several times and was always approached first for job opportunities so I never had much of an interview experience.

Department Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Your results are traditionally what determines your eligibility for a leadership position. This is typically a very easy process at this step as you're usually already the candidate in mind for the position open. Questions can be at a minimum - I've found that the fewer questions you're asked, the more likelier the job is already yours. That's one of the great things about this company - the more you vocalize your career goals, the more likely you'll get tapped.