Nordstrom

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details – You need to love customer service. Our company has a tradition of an outside of the box to please our customers, be sure which position you want to work, be passionate and honest

Interview Question – all the questions are pretty simple, be honest at all times   Answer Question

Department Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2010.

Interview Details – Store manager chat.
Store goals and career path

Negotiation Details – N/A

Department Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – apply online. Taleo system is used to sort applicants. HR does first interview. If applicable Department Manager does 2nd interview. Background checks are performed. Offer made by Department Manger, HR does notifies rejections.

Interview Question – Be prepared to do a mock sale for selling roles.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations.

Department Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Phone screening with recruiter. Following week interview with regional manager and Head Chef and after that another interview with a GM. The total interview process took 30 days.

Interview Question – Both in person interviews were very professional but not with a lot of Q&A, but more like a conversation about past experiences in the field. Maybe the most unexpected question was what is favorite restaurant to eat and why.   Answer Question

Edison, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Nordstrom in October 2013.

Interview Details – Hired over the phone. No formal interview. They checked my references and spoke to my current department manager, store manager and regional manager and offered me the job that same day.

Interview Question – What is is your biggest opportunity (what can you work on)?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Department Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Nordstrom is known for promoting from within, which is why interviewing for a department manager is a different experience every single time. I was promoted from within my store and already had rapport with my store manager, so I literally expressed my interested then applied online. I was job offered a few days later.

From outside of a store / region, however, the process is a bit different. Normally, you would interview with the regional for that division, then the store manager.

Interview Question – Since I never went through a formal interview there was nothing to throw me off.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You can negotiate. However, I did not. Normally there is very little room to budge with salary.

Troy, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2008.

Interview Details – One Phone Interview
One in person Interview
When I first started working for the company I was only applying for a summer cashiering job so my process was not that difficult. I was promoted from within several times and was always approached first for job opportunities so I never had much of an interview experience.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2011.

Interview Details – Nordstrom has a detailed interview process which makes it easy and fair for both the interviewer and interviewee. Those interested in working for the company may apply online and the company is very good about responding to interested parties in that manner. The hiring process is clear, done in a quick and concise manner, and completed usually within a matter of weeks.

Interview Question – When applying for a sales position, I was handed an item my manager was holding and he asked me to sell it to him on the spot. Fun, but I had to think on my feet and in the moment.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Because it was a sales position, it was a straight offer and there was no negotiation in it.

Department Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Your results are traditionally what determines your eligibility for a leadership position. This is typically a very easy process at this step as you're usually already the candidate in mind for the position open. Questions can be at a minimum - I've found that the fewer questions you're asked, the more likelier the job is already yours. That's one of the great things about this company - the more you vocalize your career goals, the more likely you'll get tapped.

Interview Question – Are you mobile?   Answer Question

Department Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Applications process is pretty standard... one hr or so. Human Resources contact was pretty timely, with in a week. two interview process, generally one with Human Resources and the other with the store manager. If you made it through two interviews.... you pretty much got the job. Some one outgoing and drives for results are a good tactic

Interview Question – Do you consider yourself an competitive person?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – discuss pay rate. different departments off different commission rates.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!