Nordstrom Department Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2015
Updated Mar 21, 2015

2.6

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

one interview with the store manager. This was as transfer from one store to another so the interview process was a bit easier than most. As long as your confident that you knowledge and experience necessary for running a department and show that you know what you are doing you will pass the interview easily.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

negotiated salary

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Department Manager Interview

Interview

You need to love customer service. Our company has a tradition of an outside of the box to please our customers, be sure which position you want to work, be passionate and honest

Interview Questions

• all the questions are pretty simple, be honest at all times   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

apply online. Taleo system is used to sort applicants. HR does first interview. If applicable Department Manager does 2nd interview. Background checks are performed. Offer made by Department Manger, HR does notifies rejections.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There are no negotiations.

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Phone screening with recruiter. Following week interview with regional manager and Head Chef and after that another interview with a GM. The total interview process took 30 days.

Interview Questions

• Both in person interviews were very professional but not with a lot of Q&A, but more like a conversation about past experiences in the field. Maybe the most unexpected question was what is favorite restaurant to eat and why.   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nordstrom (Edison, NJ) in October 2013.

Interview

Hired over the phone. No formal interview. They checked my references and spoke to my current department manager, store manager and regional manager and offered me the job that same day.

Interview Questions

• What is is your biggest opportunity (what can you work on)?   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Nordstrom is known for promoting from within, which is why interviewing for a department manager is a different experience every single time. I was promoted from within my store and already had rapport with my store manager, so I literally expressed my interested then applied online. I was job offered a few days later.

From outside of a store / region, however, the process is a bit different. Normally, you would interview with the regional for that division, then the store manager.

Interview Questions

• Since I never went through a formal interview there was nothing to throw me off.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can negotiate. However, I did not. Normally there is very little room to budge with salary.

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in August 2011.

Interview

Nordstrom has a detailed interview process which makes it easy and fair for both the interviewer and interviewee. Those interested in working for the company may apply online and the company is very good about responding to interested parties in that manner. The hiring process is clear, done in a quick and concise manner, and completed usually within a matter of weeks.

Interview Questions

• When applying for a sales position, I was handed an item my manager was holding and he asked me to sell it to him on the spot. Fun, but I had to think on my feet and in the moment.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Because it was a sales position, it was a straight offer and there was no negotiation in it.

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Nordstrom (Saint Louis, MO) in February 2011.

Interview

It was a good experience. I like the casual feeling of the atmosphere. It didn't feel forced. The people conducting the interview made you feel very welcomed. All questions about the position and the history of the company were answered appropriately.
    I left feeling good about the process and most importantly about the position in the company.

Interview Questions

• Where do I see myself in 5 years   1 Answer

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2010.

Interview

Store manager chat.
    Store goals and career path

Negotiation

N/A

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Troy, MI) in May 2008.

Interview

One Phone Interview
    One in person Interview
    When I first started working for the company I was only applying for a summer cashiering job so my process was not that difficult. I was promoted from within several times and was always approached first for job opportunities so I never had much of an interview experience.