Nordstrom Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
1,256 Interview Reviews

2.5

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

The process was predictable, I submitted my application and resume online and I was emailed a few days later to set up a phone interview time. The lady who called (right on time, by the way!) was incredibly nice and easy to talk to. The whole thing lasted maybe 15 minutes and she ended it with telling me she would push me through to the next interview and we set up a time.
    A few days later, I drove into town to meet with the cosmetics advisor. Everything was going fine, she was also easy to talk with and seemed interested in what I said. However, when I mentioned I had no previous sales experience (which is obviously shown in my resume and been answered in the application itself), she told me she wouldn't be able to hire me and the interview was over, lasting barely five minutes.
    Overall I was frustrated that I was granted even a phone call if I wasn't qualified.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online and then came into the store for an in-person interview. The manager was nice and I felt comfortable. Dress business but trendy! They really want to know what you can bring to the company. They want someone who has wonderful customer service skills, and someone who will work hard and who has respect for their company and will be a positve representation of Nordstrom.

Sales Associate - TBD Department Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

After a brief phone interview, I met with my would-be department manager for my interview. We went over my work history and talked about customer service experience mainly. My background was in production work for fashion photo shoots, so much of the interview was sharing my experiences with that. After the formal interview, we went out on the sales floor and my manager pretended to be a customer needing an outfit for a weekend night out with her girlfriends. I was asked to put together an outfit and alternate options that would fit the customer's look/occasion.

Interview Questions
    • There is an online assessment that has to be completed before an interview. If you fail, they cannot even interview you per their HR rules.   View Answer

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online and received a request for a phone interview with the Seattle office a few days later. The phone interview went well and the woman invited me into the store to have an in person interview a week later. I was excited for this interview, except when I got there and realized there were 3 other people there, applying for the same exact position as me and we were going to have a group interview. The woman said they would do a group interview so we didn't have to "waste" time waiting for each interview to be over. One woman interviewed me and another girl, and another woman interviewed two other girls. We were all in the same room which was distracting because I could hear the other groups discussion- we were literally sitting right next to each other. Six people in one room interviewing for a coumter manager job is not professional at all and very distracting. Seems like they didn't want to waste time with all of us individually because they probably already had someone from within that they were hiring.
    The woman was going back and forth with the same questions between me and the other girl and writing our answers down. She kept mixing up our answers and writing my answers on the other girls sheet. I really did not like the group interview process at all. I feel that she didn't get a chance to know me personally. Plus, the other girl kept taking my answers and repeating what I was saying. Pretty strange interview- expected more from a Fortune 500 company. I also expected more given that I was interviewing for a managerial position- very improper.
    Two days later I got a call saying they hired someone else. I thought this was funny given that I interviewed on a Friday, this store is closed on Sunday and they called me Monday morning to tell me I didn't get the job. The process for getting a counter manager job is longer than 2 days since you have to go for a second interview to meet with the department manager, and I don't see how that would be possible in two days. I'm pretty sure they hired someone within their store for the position and just decided to waste our time to make it look like they at least tried to hire outside people. Huge waste of time, not to mention unprofessional especially having 5 years prior cosmetic experience and giving great answers during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a disgruntled customer.   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

All job applications are placed online. If you go to the store to ask about positions, you will be referred to the online application website. Online applications are processed rapidly and you will get a follow up call to set up an interview. At that time you will meet with either the human resources manager or the manager of the department you are applying to.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time you offered great customer service?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time you were given great customer service.   View Answer
    • Has there been a time when you were faced with a difficult situation at work and were able to overcome? What did you do? What was the result?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Applied online, got called for a phone interview, then moved onto 1:1 interview which included tell me how would you sell this hosiery to a student that was visiting but went to school in New York?

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Did a short video interview of about 8 questions. Very basic questions. Received an email the next day for an in-person interview. Interview two weeks later. There was a panel interview with equally basic questions.

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Applied on line, received an email from HR for interview times. Face to face with department manager. Then a phone interview with the vendor rep for the line assignment. Then department manager called back to let you know the results.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in March 2015.

I had applied for this internship in 2014, between my junior and senior year of college and was sent a rejection email within a few days. I applied again in 2015 after gaining relevant work experience and was so excited to receive an email from them after completing the online application saying that they wanted to know more about me!

The next step in the interview process was to complete a video interview through the website Hirevue. This was something I had never heard of before, as there is no one on the other end of the video. It's just you recording your answers to a set of pre-determined questions. I extensively prepared for this interview with the help of glass door and the interview questions that people had posted which were super helpful! In hindsight I definitely over prepared for this first round interview. It was 9 questions, and 3 of them were things like "what university do you attend, what do you study, when are you graduating?" and "Will you be available for the entirety of the summer?" The other questions were things like "Why Nordstrom?" and "Describe a leadership role." Took around 20 minutes. I had technical difficulties at the start that sort of threw me off my game for a second, but it ended up being fine! Also the time allotted for each question seemed a little goofy, like for the "why Nordstrom" question you only had one minute to answer but for the "anything else you'd like us to know" question they gave you 3 minutes.

The following day I was invited to be a part of an in-person interview at the location I was applying to.However, I was an out of state applicant so I called the HR department of the Nordstrom I wanted to work at and they were more than willing to conduct a phone interview with me. I was worried that this would lessen my chances of getting the internship but everything ended up okay because they offered me the position!

The phone interview was more difficult, and lasted about 40 minutes. Again, I had extensively prepared with the help of glassdoor and had an answer ready for almost every question the HR lady asked me. The most difficult part for me was when they got into specific selling questions like "what do you do if someone is on the fence about a sale?" because I have never worked a retail job. The phone interview ended and she informed me that she'd let me know by the end of next week what their decision would be. On the last possible day of the following week, late one Friday evening (after I'd already accepted that they wouldn't be hiring me since I hadn't heard form them) I got a phone call from the same woman who interviewed me who said that they would love to offer me the position.

Overall, a really pleasant interview experience and I am super excited!

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell someone a pair of jeans?
      Tell us about a time you set a goal and did not succeed.

Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Easy and brief. Interview didn't take long and it was like talking to a co-worker than a hiring manager which made it a lot easier to open up to. Try being yourself and have knowledge of the company and the products they sale. Also ask at least 3 question.