Nordstrom

2.5

MAC Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nordstrom in December 2009.

I originally applied for a holiday position in the at home department in October 2009. I was contacted to set up a phone interview about 3 weeks later. My phone interview was the next day and since I had a background in sales, I was called in for my first interview. We discussed a lot of the same information as we did on the phone interview until she asked me what department I would be most interested in working in. I told her cosmetics. She went to check and came back and told me that there was still some part time availability at the MAC counter. I was told that I would need to meet with the cosmetics manager as well as the counter manager who were not in at the time and I would be contacted in a few days to set up another interview. This is something that I had dreamed about doing since I can remember, the only career aspiration that had stuck with me through all the years. I waited a few days and started calling to try and get in touch with the manager. I was told that I'd be meeting with the regional manager on Thursday and then I'd have my makeup application interview on Friday night. The morning of the interview came and my boyfriend went down to pay rent. He came back upstairs holding an eviction notice. I pulled myself together and arrived at Nordstrom 20 minutes early, walked in and asked for the person I was supposed to be meeting with only to be told that there was no one there by that name. They paged the cosmetics manager to try and straighten this out. After about 45 minutes someone from MAC called and told me to go downstairs to the MAC counter. It was the counter manager who told me that I was interviewing in the MAC store upstairs in the mall. I rush over there and introduce myself and explain that I thought I was meeting with someone at Nordstrom. We settle down into the back office and he starts asking me questions about my current job and how I would overcome certain obstacles, if I was familiar with bonuses and commission, any awards I have won, etc...On paper, I am an excellent candidate for any job. Unfortunately, this was the worst day of my life and I was freaking out about it. I tried to pass it off as excitement for the best job ever but in reality, my mind was going in 40 different directions. Two things stick out in my mind that left me kicking myself for weeks. 1.When he asked if I knew about the dress code at MAC and I said yes, He asked why I was wearing anything other than black. (I thought I was meeting with a manager from Nordstrom but I told him that I had to meet with a client from my other job in the afternoon...lies). 2. He asked how often I get stressed out at my other job. My answer was "more often now than usual" It was true. I was more stressed out and I explained that it was because our biggest customer was going out to bid and that it was making everyone go a little crazy. The regional trainer said that it was good to have some stress like that because it makes you more competitive. (Thanks! I appreciate the life line) I left the interview feeling less like a rock star than I had hoped.The next day was the makeup application interview. I asked my friend to be my model because she already wears MAC makeup. I got to the store on time and met with the manager. She brought us to the back room and sat my model down. She gave me a scenario that my customer was a 30 year old soccer mom who doesn't wear a lot of makeup but wanted something easy to do that she could wear every day. I was to give her an every day look and then do something quick that she could transfer to night time. I had 5 minutes to pull products and then 25 minutes to do the actual makeup application. I grabbed a bunch of the stuff that my friend already had and started on her. I knew that they would want me to explain what I was doing while I was doing it and why so that it would be like I was actually trying to sell this makeup to her. About halfway through, I started to put on this eyeliner that I thought would make her eyes really stand out. It looked awful and almost completely ruined the whole look I had given her. I looked to the manager and she said "go ahead, get something else". I came back with a brown eyeliner and fixed the mistake. The rest of the application went very well and she actually complimented me saying that changing to the brown was a really good idea and she was happy that I had done that and kept my head in the process. I finished in less time than I was allotted and she said that I did a great job and that I clearly had the MAC look. She was going to talk to the people at Nordstrom and her boss at MAC and someone would be in touch with me soon.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time when your manager expressed disastisfaction with your work performance.   View Answer
    All I had left to do was wait! I'm no good at waiting so I called an harassed the counter manager at Nordstrom every day for weeks. When I finally heard back from her she said that I had done a great job and they wanted to offer me the position but there wasn't another training for Nordstrom until January and they wouldn't be able to put me on the schedule until I did the training. In January, they were going to have to cut hours and wouldn't be able to give me anything until February when things finally picked back up again. I asked her to see if there was any way they could put me on before the training and then I'd just take some time off until February when they'd receive more hours. She said she was going to talk to her manager and that she'd get back to me soon. I thought the dream had died but still I was persistent. I was going to push until I got a "no" out of someone. About a week later I got a call from someone in HR at Nordstrom saying that there was a training that weekend and asked if I could attend. I filled out the paper work and sent it back immediately. I called and spoke with the cosmetics manager who finally gave me an offer. The next day I started training and have been working there ever since.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in April 2011.

I had a phone interview an interview w/ the HR assistant , an interview with the department manager, an interview with the store manager and now they are calling my references! Many steps and waiting for the position ~ The store manager and the department manager were both on vacation the week after my first interview with the department manager.

Interview Questions
    • how do you get someone to see your side of something?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in June 2011.

I applied for at least 10 jobs at Nordstrom and I never got an interview with them, I want to know What am I doing wrong? I filled out the whole application process online. They always send me an email telling me about the job that I apply and 2 days later an email telling me the whole interview process is going to star without me.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had an upset customer and how you handle it?   Answer Question
    • If you are not meeting your metrics (sales goals) What would you do?   Answer Question

Encore Department Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in July 2011.

I applied online for the Encore department at my local Nordstrom store. I received a call from the HR manager two days later asking if I had time for a phone interview. It lasted about 20 minutes and she asked me at least 5 different questions, as well as why I wanted to work in that particular department. Once I had answered all of her questions she stated that I was a good fit for the department I had applied, and would pass my information along to the department manager. A few days later I received a phone call to set up my one on one interview. This interview lasted about 45 minutes. It was really in-depth and I was asked multiple questions about previous work experience, how I felt about working in a commission based environment, and what I would do to make sure i met my sales quota. She gave me a tour of the department, the fitting room and stock room. Then she asked me to sell her an outfit. No matter how well you answer the questions if you fail to sell the outfit you WILL NOT get hired! Be prepared to have to do that!

Interview Questions
    • If I was a customer how would you greet me?   Answer Question
    • Pretend I was going on a vacation and needed help with an outfit. Pick one out and sell it to me.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in April 2012.

it was a very long and vigourous review. it checked and pointed on every little aspect to question revolving around your and your judgement. overall i wopuld say it was very difficult and time consuming. when you thought it was over, there was a whole another part to pout of no where.

Interview Questions
    • what do you see as a good way to increase revunue with out down staffing?   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in June 2011.

I applied online, I was sent an email saying they would like to schedule a phone interview. I scheduled the phone interview online. During the phone interview I was asked various questions regarding my behavior and how I would handle certain situations as well as to describe events in the past that demonstrated a particular skill such as working as a team or meeting a sales goal. The Phone interview went great so I was invited to come in to do a one on one with the assistant HR manager. The interview was very similar, I was also asked how I would handle difficult customers, and how I felt about working in a commission only position. That went great so I came back for a interview with the department manager of Men's Furnishings. The initial interview went great, then I was taken to the sales floor, asked to familiarize myself with the merchandise and then approach the manager as a sales person and do a role play. I did okay at that, but then she followed with some product oriented questions directly related to how I would close the sale or help an indecisive customer.

Interview Questions
    • Regarding a bottle of men's cologne that I was hypothetically selling, I was asked "What would you tell me about this product if I was indecisive about buying it?"   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

This was unlike any interview I've ever had - 4 hour "audition!"

Interview Questions
    • If you were a PM for a bridge contractor ........   View Answer

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in December 2013.

Applied online for Cosmetics Sales Associate position. Got a call back the next day for an interview. Met with the cosmetics department manager and it was the most difficult interview ever. I've had interviews at Nordstrom before and was a rehire so I thought I had an idea of what they would ask but I felt as if I was interviewing for a job way more difficult than retail sales. It was over an hour and she asked about 20-30 questions.

Interview Questions
    • Pick at product to sell to me. Why did you pick this product? Tell me 3 things about this product. What would you say to a customer who had reservations about this product.   Answer Question

Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Personality Tests online, two phone interviews, interview with someone from personnel, then offer to interview with Department manger, Then joint interview with Department Manager and vendor, Department manager/vendor/counter manager interview.

This was a very extensive hiring process, yet there are still some employees that have no idea what they are doing!

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if everything you have tried to do for the customer does not calm them down and the customer remains upset?   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in July 2014.

First there was a phone interview. Then I had to take two computer tests and went in for an interview. The first test is to see how well you can multitask and respond to customers. The second test is part of the in person interview. I listened to an employee take six calls. Then I went back for my interview. The interview was discussing my skill levels in customer service, computer skills, previous employers, job duties and how do I handle various situations.
    I was told that I would hear back from them within a week and it has been a week.

Interview Questions
    • The computer tests you on your ability to multitask and how well you respond to customers based on the information they provide you with.   Answer Question