Nordstrom Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015
1,262 Interview Reviews

2.5

Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in July 2013.

The interview was conducted in two parts. They just changed the interview process when I interviewed from individual interviews to group interviews. There was a group of us getting interviewed at the same time. Each hiring manager interviewed two of us. First part was the typical interview where they asked you questions and you respond. Second part of the interview the manager took us on the sales floor, gave us a scenario, and asked us to sell to her like we already work there.

Interview Questions
    • I am going to Hawaii with my two kids. What would you recommend us to buy for our trip?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in March 2015.

The phone interview wasn't really an interview. It was two minutes of scheduling a time and date for the HR interview for women's apparel and wear business professional clothes. The day of the interview comes and I was the last one waiting for someone to come out to begin the interview. An HR rep comes out a few minutes later explaining the representative who was scheduled to interview me was unavailable and I would be interviewed by the department manager for shoes. Two days later I receive a voice mail from the manager I interviewed with and asked me to return his call. When I called him back I explained to the associate that I had received a call and was returning his phone call. I was put on hold for about 45 minutes before I was able to even touch base with him. Needless to say he went with another candidate with more experience in shoes even if I didn't apply for shoes to begin with.

Stock/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in May 2012.

I applied as a teenager in high school as a part of their BP. Fashion Board. Applied online, with some emails back and forth with my contact at the company. Word of mouth is really important! 1 in person interview, with a longer personality survey. Onboarding takes about 30-40 minutes through the internet.

Retail Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in February 2015.

I applied online through a link my university sent me in January, and heard back about a month later in the beginning of February. The online app is extensive with lots of references, job positions, ect to fill out but standard procedure. I was contacted by email that they wanted to interview me for the position, and then was given a link to set up an account for a recorded video interview. It was really interesting and I've never done one before; a recorded video question is played for you and then you have 30 seconds to think of your answer, and then 3 minutes to record your answer before it moves onto the next question. There is no re-doing. This interview went well, and a few days later I received another email saying they wanted to do an in person interview. I went to the Nordstrom store and it was a one on one with the HR manager who was very friendly and passionate about her job, and then I had a mock sales challenge with a head from another department where I had to sell a customer baby clothing. They said they would get back to me in a week, but I received a call within three days with an offer.

Designer Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in December 2011.

the interview was pretty basic i was asked about selling experience, fashion knowledge, if i would be ok working on commission, a little about previous jobs, where i was successful and what my strengths are. the best part was touring the store and meeting people, including the store manager, as simply a prospect. this gave me a good feel for the company. once on the sales floor my boss (interviewer) said "pick out a handbag and sell it to me, i need a gift for my mom'
    i think most of the choice about weather to hire or not hire really depends on how you react to selling on the spot

Interview Questions
    • basic questions about ability to sell and fashion knowledge   View Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in January 2014.

Quick and friendly took about a week to process, friendly one on one interview and processed my information. They made you feel comfortable and welcoming staff! They asked appropriate questions and seemed very interested in your overall persona instead of 'just the appearance' of you.

COSMETICS Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in January 2015.

Met at the ebar for second interview after the technical, walked around for a tour, met everyone. You will know if you have been hired before you leave the interview.

Interview Questions
    Base pay plus commission off anything in the store plus commission off services. You are your own boss!

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in January 2014.

The interview was odd, I could tell the interviewee was young. The questions were basic and easy. As soon as I answered she'd instantly agree to what I was saying, that's why it was odd. I pretty much knew I already had the job.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through other source – interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2011.

It was a good experience. I like the casual feeling of the atmosphere. It didn't feel forced. The people conducting the interview made you feel very welcomed. All questions about the position and the history of the company were answered appropriately.
    I left feeling good about the process and most importantly about the position in the company.

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in February 2015.

I applied online. The online application included a brief personality assessment. I was contacted via email the following day to set up a brief phone screen with HR. The phone screen with HR was very easy/casual and took about 10-15 minutes. I was asked basic questions such as, "Why do you want to work for Nordstrom?" I was asked about my availability and briefly discussed work history. After the phone screen, I was asked to come in for an interview with the Cosmetics Department Manager, which was scheduled for the following week. The interview with the department manager took about 30-45 minutes, and I was asked typical retail sales/management interview questions. We discussed the brands that were in need of a manager, and she explained that it was partly the brand representative's decision in regard to hiring for that position. Because I already had a relationship with my brand of choice's rep, I did not need to interview with the brand rep. The following week, I was contacted via phone by the department manager and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work for Nordstrom?" "How do you stay positive in a negative situation?" "Which counter would you like to manage?" "Explain about a time when you had to deal with an unhappy customer." Basic "Explain a time when..." questions.   Answer Question