Nordstrom

Average Difficulty
1,026 candidate interviews

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – It was a pretty standard retail interview-my interviewees were very friendly and accommodating. Sales is a plus, or any kind of retail experience. It's purely commission based, so if you're not a good salesperson, I would look elsewhere. I know that some departments are different, like cosmetics, but as far as kids clothing and basic women and men's, prepare to sell! They offered me the job within a week after my phone and in person interview. The interview itself lasted about 20-30 minutes. I was sad I couldn't work there, but it just wasn't for me. A lot my friends the entire company is a great one to work for, and they really care about their employees.

Interview Question – Sell us something.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Too hard to juggle two jobs without a set schedule.

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details – Very basic retail interview system, asked about experiences and what I could bring to the store. Included many things about what would be expected of you and how you were going to be given the tools to achieve your goals.

Interview Question – If you were a tree what kind of tree would you be and why?   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Commissioned Sales Associate
Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2012.

Interview Details – The interviewing process was very detailed and thorough. They asked about teamwork, self-motivation and understanding retail math. The interviewer asked if I understood commissioned sales and whether or not I had ever been paid by commission. I was also asked to list competitors and describe how Nordstrom outshines its competitors.

Interview Question – Three adjectives to describe yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Retail Management Interview

Retail Management

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the trainee program located at Hawaii. I was asked to take either phone or Skype interview. The interview questions were easy and the HR was very friendly. But the total duration was too long that I took the other offer before I was informed to join the next interview round.

Interview Question – The questions were mostly about your personalities and also about some sales situations like how you would deal with the customers who don't what to buy the products.   Answer Question

Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview

Nordstrom Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – I applied for a sales associate position on the Nordstrom website and after few days I got an e-mail asking me to schedule my phone interview. Times for scheduling the phone interview was very flexible. I got a phone call and they ask questions like, Why Nordstrom? What was a goal that you couldn't achieve and what did you do to achieve that goal? What was the most difficult customer service you had to provide and how did you handle that situation? What is your availability? Interview process was pretty basic and the person interviewing was very nice. Although, I didn't get the position because my availability did not fit with their needs.

Interview Question – There wasn't any difficult questions, they were pretty basic.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2012.

Interview Details – A lot of simple retail oriented questions.
Know how to learn to know what they want to hear
Use basic commonsense
How do you feel working on only commission?
How competitive are you?
Give me a time when....

Interview Question – There was nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There isn't any.

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Cosmetics Counter Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got an email within 24 hours to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview human resources asked why Nordstoms, tell me your experience, and questions about how I would do in a commission environment and what is my availability. The phone conversation was less than ten minutes and human resources asked for an in person interview.

Interview Question – How would you do with commissions?   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2013.

Interview Details – All management positions are filled with internal candidates, so only current employees can apply for management positions. This is helpful because then most managers have a very clear understanding about company culture. You are asked general questions about your current business- where your department sales are at compared to last year, top suppliers, team development, etc. However the biggest leg up you give yourself is recommendations from superiors.

Interview Question – What are the three things you stand for as a manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Do not accept the first salary offer- if you negotiate they will mostly likely reconsider.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – First you go through a telephone interview - pretty simple questions about your work experience and why you want to work at Nordstrom. Once you go through that, they will set up a group interview after which you meet with the manager or assistant manager. You have to do a sales pitch. It's pretty basic and simple.

Interview Question – I was asked to pitch a sale of a shoe brand I was unfamiliar with, to a man.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, you get commission.

Enterprise Architect Interview

Enterprise Architect
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2014.

Interview Details – This was bar none the worst interview I have ever had. I read an earlier interview where they said they were heckled and thought the guy must just not be that good, but no, he was RIGHT! I will admit that it wasn't my best interview but I was doing pretty damn well. These guys are so adverse to change especially if you come in there knowing what your talking about they get very defensive. They kept asking me questions and took immediate disinterest when they found I had subject matter expertise; then they changed the question. This was until I said I didn't know, then all hell broke loose and the drilling began. I just couldn't wait to get out of there and spend my day back at my real job. I am not bitter at all about not getting this one, I am in fact so thankful. These guys are the most negative and condescending group I have come across in a long time, although the hiring manager was really nice. If you are a previous Amazon, Microsoft or Google employee do not go here you are over qualified and it will be just like Americas Next Top Model for Architects.

Interview Question – Tell me what you know about Nordstrom?   View Answer

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!