Nordstrom

2.5

Bobbi Brown Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in December 2014.

It took like a week, from when I filled out the application online till when I got the interview. I got an email on the 28 of Nov asking did I want to come in that Monday for an interview. After email I got another emailing asking me to fill out some paperwork. Monday I went in for the interview at 1030 am I was in a room with like 4 other girls. I was called back at like 1130 with a guy he was very nice and professional. I interview for Bobbi Brown manager, im not sure why I did that guess I had high hopes never worked makeup before. But I got a job offer for roving sales. That same day he told me he would call Tuesday after he did some background stuff. They called me Tuesday and offered me the job its salary plus commission.

Interview Questions
    • He asked me working in sales what was my most memorable sale, and how did that go   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate.

Personal Stylist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in December 2014.

The first interview with the personal styling manager went well. At the second interview, the director didn't have a designated meeting space or seem to have any idea which candidate she was interviewing. She opened with a question about another candidate's work history.

Interview Questions
    • How do you plan to generate customers outside the sales floor?   Answer Question

Seasonal Retail Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online, also through a referral. It was straight forward, it took about a week's time. Received an email for a telephone interview, process was finalized the same weekend.

Interview Questions
    • Why Nordstrom? Describe a situation where you had to deal with a difficult customer, what was your role, and did it get resolved? Describe a time where you failed to achieve a goal, what was done? how did you handle that?   Answer Question
    The hourly was set for the cashier position, no negotiation.

Product Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Initial phone interview with HR was very upbeat & encouraging. Follow up scheduling with hiring manager was timely and 2nd phone interview was thorough & positive. Third time interviewing was in person with many members of NPG team back to back. Loved the people but at this level there was confusion about the role that was open & what I was there for. Lots of honesty & insight to internal workings & struggles of team. Wasn't too excited about the dysfunction & reality on the ground I heard about.

Logistics/Stock Processing (Seasonal) Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

After filling out an online profile and application, I received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was about 5 minutes long. Basic questions: why do you want to work at Nordstrom, why do you want this position, tell me about a time you had to work with a team and what did you do to contribute to the success or the team, what would you do if a manager asked you to do a task that you believed was 'below you' and a few other questions.

At the end of the phone interview, the lady told me she would give my file to the dept manager who would schedule an in-person interview.

Manager called, was very friendly. Scheduled appt. went in for interview and basically told me she wanted me on her team and would start processing my paperwork with HR.

I felt very comfortable in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are qualities you think are important in a candidate for this position?   Answer Question
    N/A

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

I filled out an application and a few days later I was called and asked to come in for an interview. I arrived a few minutes early and waited for about 10 minutes and was approached by the women who was interviewing me that day. I followed her into a small office where we took a seat at a small table. She started by asking me about my pervious work experience. Then after a few more questions about myself she told me she was going to ask me a series of questions and I was only allowed to answer yes or no. She asked me some questions and then asked me "Have you ever experienced flow while in a group of coworkers?" I asked her to clarify what she meant by flow. She told me she was not allowed to explain any of the questions and I was only allowed to answer yes or no. I told her I did not understand what she meant by flow so my answer would have to be no. After that I felt like she became a little unpleasant and I did not end up getting hired. I am a Norstrom customer and I've always had a good shopping experience with them. However, I hope their interview process has changed and improved and focuses less on unimportant mind games and more on what the potential employee can bring to the company.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever experienced flow while in a group of coworkers?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Was screen interviewed over the phone by HR and was asked my availability and a couple behavioral questions. Then I received a call to do an interview in store. I was interviewed by the Department manager, and two assistants. Questions were based off of previous work experience. Typically retail knowledge and mostly was just told about the job, what it's like working on commission and asked a couple customer service questions. Know in detail what you did at your previous jobs. Always focus on customer service! Customer is key at Nordstrom.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions if you are a people person and have worked retail.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

After taking a personality test and submitting my application, I was called by the HR Director to set up a phone interview. During that 15ish minute interview, she asked me why I wanted to work at Nordstrom, what department I wanted to work in, why I felt I would be a good candidate for that department position and a few other questions regarding my previous experience. After that, I was called in for an onsite interview where I met with the Cosmetics Department Manager. She asked questions similar to the above then requested that I did her makeup, and while doing her make-up sell her the products, the goal being that she would purchase something at the end. We did not break character during the make-up application. The onsite interview lasted about 45 minutes total. I was called two days later and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Would you consider yourself competitive?   View Answer
    I was told the hourly and commission rate at the offer stage. I chose not to negotiate because the rate was within my range.

Intern Interview

There were two interviews. Since I was away at school I was able to do the interviews over the phone. They asked me a series of questions about myself and my experience. They questioned me on what I was able to bring to Nordstrom with my experience and skills.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you were a leader and you failed. How did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Emailed me to schedule an interview. Arrived, had a quick 10 minute interview. Then was led to the department and asked to "sell" an outfit to the hiring manager.
    Was immediately job offered once completing the interview.