Nordstrom

1,154 Interview Reviews

2.5

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Applications are submitted via their online job portal. You then receive a phone call and will be asked basic questions about scheduling and some behavioral questions. If you move on to the next round, you will meet with the manager or assistant manager of the department for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you faced a difficulty ethical decision.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

It's taken some time to see results. I applied on line, met w/the head of the cosmetics dept. and told I need to pass a phone review from talent plus.which has now, as of 3 days After meeting w Dept Head and told I was a "perfect fit", the phone call has Not taken place.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I recieved an email to schedule a phone interview the same day that I applied online. I scheduled a phone interview and brainstormed questions, answers, research, etc about the position. The phone interview was less than five minutes. The only questions asked concerned my availability and what department I would like to work in, and then we scheduled an interview in the store for 2 days later. The interview was very simple and brief. I then was asked to pick out different outfits for different scenarios from the department. I interviewed with the department manager- she was very friendly and laid back.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Nordstrom?   Answer Question
    • When is a time you went above and beyond for your manager?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you had trouble making your sales goals, and how would you educate yourself on your department?   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

one on one with a department manager of your choice who was hiring. A group of approx 12 of us were in one room with the managers. When directed, we went to the manager of the department we were interested in and spoke them for about 10 minutes and then switched.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Very straight forward. Typical retail corporate. HR screening, Department Manager then Store Manager. Easy questions. Your hired if you portray good outgoing personality. Make sure you say you are a good sales person

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a very rude and unexpected customer?   Answer Question

Shoe Shine Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

The interview was fairly typical for a retail giant like nordstrom. They asked why I would like to work at nordstrom, what makes me different to other candidates, how do I handle attention based work, and so on and so forth. The manager who interviewed me was very laid back and very young, so that was pretty stress free. The only hard part of the interview was when he asked me detailed questions regarding different shoe polishes and such, I knew the differences between them, he just caught me off guard is all.

Interview Questions
    • Out of these polishes, which is best for a low quarter gala shoe?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, he offered me a rate based on my previous experience and I found it fair given my duties at work.

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

You have to fill out their application online prior to receiving a call from their HR department. They will ask you questions like, "Why Nordstrom?," or "Name one time as a team, where you have accomplished a goal, & what did you do from there?" If they like how you've responded, they will invite you to the in-person interview.

I went to my in-person interview within a week, & arrived a little late. I was one of the last person interviewed. Again, it was 1-on-1 with HR & the same questions were asked. Once done with the interview, you are taken oj to tje selling floor & you personally meet one of the counter managers. You are told to greet the customer & start a sale. If the customer is wary, find a way to close the sale. I was able to close the sale with ease & was told I would get a callback later that week.

I received a callback the next day offering me a seasonal oncall position with fragrances. But the pay was generous and non-negotiable & 3% commission lightened it. However, I will probably speak to a few cosmetic managers to talk about cosmetic openings as well since I am a cosmetologist.

Interview Questions
    • Why Nordstrom?   View Answer
    • It is nearing the end of the week & you notice you haven't reached your goal. Tell me what would you do & if you still couldn't reach your goal, what would be your initiative to prevent this next week?   View Answer
    • What is most important to you when you're on the selling floor? Tell us what & why.   Answer Question
    There wasn't room for negotiation.

Retail Sales - Women Shoes Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

Applied through Nordstrom's Career page on a Friday. Received an email on Monday about an open interview for Wednesday. Interviewees' met at the event room where we all waited to be called in for an individual interview. Each interviewee met with the specified department manager & the assistant manager. Total of 2 interviews. The interview was held in a small room with a bunch of other interviewees being interviewed at the same time. My interview was pretty short, but not difficult. Received a call the following day offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you did not know about a product? What do you want to work for Nordstrom/Women Shoes?   Answer Question
    Commission-based; Did not negotiate

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

I had one phone interview, which was a very brief affair and lasted approximately 3-4 minutes. I was then asked to fill in an online questionnaire. Shortly after I received a call asking me to come into the store for a "proper" interview. I then had two in-store interviews. One with the department manager, and one with the store manager. The interviewers were all very nice, friendly and seemed genuinely interested in learning more about me. All in all a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were the ones you would usually expect for this type of positions.   Answer Question

Operations Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

Phone interview, then two group interviews on-site. You get a phone screen by a recruiter and then their own HR department will reach out to you and screen you further. You then get to meet a few folks that you will be working with and they will do the "real" interview of you. Then you will meet with a couple of managers if that interview goes well.