Nordstrom Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 23, 2014
1,030 interviews

2.5

Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2014.

Received an email from HR stating their was an interview opening for this day at this time and to reply if I would be able to attend. I did and went in, and met with the manager at the specified department and she took me into her back office. We sat and talked about what I'm up to with school and such and how I heard about the position and what I know about Nordstrom as a company. Asked basic questions like what is most important to you for success in retail -- customer service; and what experience you have with commission based selling. Basically want to know if you're competitive and driven by that because it is a dog-eat-dog environment even though they all want you to succeed.

Interview Questions
    • In 3 steps how would you develop and maintain customer relationships at Nordstrom?   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in September 2013.

I applied online on Nordstrom's website. I recieved a call from HR the next day and had a short phone interview that lasted about 5 minutes. She asked me basic questions such as "Why do I want to work at Nordstrom?" and scheduled an in person interview with the manager of the department I applied to. I met with the manager and she wanted me to come in again to meet the store manager. After I did, she offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you apply to (department's name)? How long do you see yourself apart of this company? What influences your personal style?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, it's commission based.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in July 2014.

A colleague from our former employer started working at Nordstrom earlier this year and contacted me about positions she knew were open that may be a good fit as she is enjoying working at Nordstrom and thought it would be a great place for me. Process:

1st week in June: the former colleague referred me and I formally applied
    end of June: email request to speak to the recruiter via phone
    mid-July: phone call with recruiter finally scheduled and took place. Good phone call with next steps stated to be a phone call with the hiring manager
    end of July: learned through an auto-reply to an email I sent that the recruiter was no longer with Nordstrom. I sent an email to the new recruiter.
    two business days later: I received an auto-generated email received that they have decided to pursue other applicants

I do not know what happened internally regarding this job and the original recruiter. I did reach out to the new recruiter after receiving the auto-generated email and she was apologetic and provided as much context as she could, including the fact that an offer had been extended and accepted by another candidate. However, the process took almost two months to end with an impersonal email after being told I would speak with the hiring manager. Nordstrom has a core focus of customer experience, one of which I've known as a top tier Loyalty member. It makes me sad to know the same experience does not extend to recruiting and it has also tainted how I feel about the store and Nordstrom brand.

Retail ManagementProgram Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied during the december and was asked to for a phone 2 weeks later. This was my first interview and I was quite nervous, which I should of not been. However, the interviewer was extremely nice and was very helpful.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your most difficult situation at work and how did you handled it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Applied for the summer internship program for sales. I applied online and was contacted within a week to set up a phone interview. I was then sent to a site to schedule a interview within a two hour time slot which they would call me in. Time slot was from 12:00-2:00pm and I was not called until 1:58pm, which I understand is still in the time window, but it was a little off putting. I was asked VERY basic questions, and asked a little about my job experience. Very short interview, took about 5 minutes. Seemed very interested on the phone, but I got an email the next day saying I wouldn't move on in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe leadership experience, strengths, weaknesses, your favorite designers.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Nordstrom.

It was a phone interview followed by an interview with HR and then the department Manager. The questions are geared towards customer service and selling. You must be very available if you want to work full time.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with an unpleasant customer? And how did you satisfy the customers needs?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in July 2014.

Open interview at 10 am, asked to arrive by 9:50. I arrived at 9:45. We were brought into a room full of tables. Each applicant sat with one or two managers, so make sure to focus on the conversation at hand and do not get distracted by the conversations going on around you. (Very realistic in a retail environment). Spoke with two sales managers of cosmetics, who asked standard questions from a packet, which they filled out. This took about 15 or 20 minutes. Then we went downstairs and did a role play scenario where I had to sell them a product. This lasted an additional 10 minutes. Finally, I was brought upstairs to meet with the Store Manager. Each employee I spoke with gave me their business card, which made Thank You emails very easy. Overall the entire experience lasted 50 minutes from the time I arrived, to the time I left. No offer was extended to me, but I was told I would hear from them in 24-48 hours.

Interview Questions
    • The role play activity was unexpected and so was meeting the store manager. Be prepared for this when interviewing!   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Phone interview was short and easy take about 10 minutes, and the second interview was in the downtown Seattle office. I had three interviewer who take turn to ask questions. the second part of the second interview was mock selling. I was nervous because I didn't have any retail experience, but the personal stylist was very friendly and nice guided me to answer her questions.

Interview Questions
    • they are very simple and easy questions like leadership example and how to take care of angry customers. Mock selling might the most difficult part for the second interview   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Applied on line. Not even 2 hours later received an email asking me to set up a phone interview. Scheduled phone interview for next morning. The man who called was extremely pleasant and it was done in 5 minutes. He asked to set up a one-on-one interview in the store. We scheduled for 2 days later. Interviewed with both the department manager and assistant department manager, both of which were very friendly. Received a call 2 hours later offering the position.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were typical customer service "what would you do in this situation". Walk the sales floor and do a "selling activity" to pick an outfit for a given situation. Very simple.   Answer Question
    Did not need to negotiate. Base pay is fair but this is a commissioned based position, the more you sell, the more you make.

Rotating Sales and Support Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Nordstrom.

When I first expressed interest in the position, the manger of HR phoned me to ask a couple of questions and to schedule an interview. After that we were set on a date she asked me questions about my work availability. After the interview she said they would get back to me as soon as possible. After two days she called me back with a job offer. The interview process was very effective in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were pretty standard and generic. They asked why nordstrom. When did you ever express great customer sevice. Super standard questions.   Answer Question