Nordstrom Interview Questions

1,057 Interview Reviews

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online and went to the store the next day to personally hand in another copy of my resume. I think this helped me a lot because I got to meet with the department manager face-to-face, which is always a leg up (not being just a piece of paper). The process took about a week in total. I was called in for an interview several days later; there was a basic question interview followed by a performance review. I was called in again the next day to talk to the store manager, which included more conversational questions.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you to come up with several outfits based on a customer profile they invent for you on the spot.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Very basic retail interview system, asked about experiences and what I could bring to the store. Included many things about what would be expected of you and how you were going to be given the tools to achieve your goals.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a tree what kind of tree would you be and why?   Answer Question

Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied for a sales associate position on the Nordstrom website and after few days I got an e-mail asking me to schedule my phone interview. Times for scheduling the phone interview was very flexible. I got a phone call and they ask questions like, Why Nordstrom? What was a goal that you couldn't achieve and what did you do to achieve that goal? What was the most difficult customer service you had to provide and how did you handle that situation? What is your availability? Interview process was pretty basic and the person interviewing was very nice. Although, I didn't get the position because my availability did not fit with their needs.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any difficult questions, they were pretty basic.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

First you go through a telephone interview - pretty simple questions about your work experience and why you want to work at Nordstrom. Once you go through that, they will set up a group interview after which you meet with the manager or assistant manager. You have to do a sales pitch. It's pretty basic and simple.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to pitch a sale of a shoe brand I was unfamiliar with, to a man.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, you get commission.

Technology Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Found the opportunity on my university's job website. Applied online via a form on Nordstrom.com

Received an email within reasonable time and scheduled a phone screen. Nothing technical, just a discussion about my resume. I guess to see if I had common sense. Scheduled an on-site interview.

Left me with a homework assignment to show them during the on-site interview. Design a system basically, and they intentionally leave it really vague and broad to "see how we think". It wasn't even specified if they wanted code, class design, or just written word abstractions.

At the on-site interview in Seattle, there were about 20 others with me. It started with group discussion and a really casual open-forum discussion environment. There was quite a large emphasis on the workplace culture. They also spoke a lot about their desire to bring in fresh ideas through an internship program (this was their first formal technology internship). All of it was relaxed and really demonstrated the 'start-uppy' culture that tech strives for.

The one-on-one interviews were easy. First one was with an engineer. They seemed unprepared and all of us got a wide range of questions (granted we were also all looking for different positions). I was looking for an SWE internship, and got asked about my coursework. I talked about my lower-level C course which led us into a discussion about caching and memory allocation, etc. Never had a straight 'trivia' question asked. Never had to write code. Just discussed. Others differed. Generally it was pretty simple for an SWE position, but they interviewers in general just seemed to be winging it.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing. The questions were all design based and not technically challenging from an SWE or even CS standpoint.   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

Applied online and got an email within 24 hours to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview human resources asked why Nordstoms, tell me your experience, and questions about how I would do in a commission environment and what is my availability. The phone conversation was less than ten minutes and human resources asked for an in person interview.

Customer Service Specialist W@h Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

I love Nordstrom! I've been working with them just over 2 years now. I worked as a sales associate in women's shows. Never had a bad day at work. However I was looking for a steady and reliable paycheck instead of my flexible paycheck with commission. An opportunity became available to apply for customer service work at home, which is new for the East Coast this year. As an internal applicant I went through the same steps for interviewing for this job as would a new employee. I sent my application in, then I called in to schedule a phone interview after two days of waiting for information after my application submission, after the phone interview I was sent to test to complete online, and from there I gave it another 2 to 4 days until I reached out to them again and got a virtual interviews scheduled. My virtual interview did not go as technically perfect as I wished it had however my interviewee was gracious in calling my cell phone to complete the interview. I was so worried that this webcam experience would disqualify me but it seem to not affect my eligibility like a thought. The process took two to four weeks and I soon started training at home after that. Training is two weeks long with one week of supervised live calls with mentors available to get help. I completed my second day of life calls, which I was nervous about but has gone well. You do need to make sure that your headset is a good choice for that the customer is can hear you without trouble.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked when was the Lady time I diagnosed and solved a tech issue.   View Answer
    I asked to call back after the offer and hourly wage was given. They didn't push me to make a decision while on same call. I called back 2 hours later and all went well.

Stock Support Team Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

I was called in for an interview, I came in and they asked me why did I want to work for nordstrom, what position was I most interested in, and that was basically it. The interview was brief. They also asked me if I was going to be able to lift at least 30 pounds and work early morning shifts. The position was also sometimes on call

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

Got an email for phone interview got offered to meet the department manager and a 3rd interview with the cosmetic company vendor regional manager strict dress code for the brand I'm working for and they love cleanliness at the counter and a great attitude always stay positive even if sales aren't going well fun energetic

Interview Questions
    • Why nordstrom ? Wanted to know if I had a angry customer what would I do   View Answer
    No negotiation just accept

Sales/Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

The process began simple, with applying on the internet for their "Rotating Sales/Support position". Though this infact turned out to be just a sales position.

After having my application processes, I then got an e-mail to schedule an interview. Be careful of one thing, the scheduler sometimes may not show that you have one scheduled after you schedule it. This does not mean it has been cancelled.

The interview itself took only 15 minutes. The HR rep asked some basic questions from who do you want to work with us, to what is your availability. The question I didn't get right was the "How did you handle your most difficult customer service experience". The truth is, in my last job as of 6 years I had the choice to refuse service as I was not only the sales rep, but one of 2 designers as well as one of two people crafting the product. I gave a few examples but then was honest and said that in extreme circumstances where a customer was rude, I would not service them as it is both wasting my time, and possibly compromising my service for others. They did not like this.

Interview Questions
    • "What is the most difficult experience you have had with a customer"   Answer Question