Nordstrom Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
1,072 Interview Reviews

2.6

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Met recruiter at college job fair. Got a call to set up an interview over the phone for their internship. Went through I think, two more phone interviews. Basic questions: Why Nordstrom? Why fashion? I studied philosophy and lived in Indiana so not too sure how I ended up interning at one of their biggest stores. I think they just try to size you up to see if you'll fit with their "culture." Just be yourself-- your completely upbeat and Nordstrom-obsessed self and you'll do fine ( if you can sell ).

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you missed the mark and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Wedding Suite Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Applied online. I was then sent to a test online to complete the application. This consisted of 52 multiple choice questions that primarily evaluated your ethical thinking and personality. Questions ask how you would act in a situation, how you rate yourself compared to others, etc.

I was contacted via automated email saying that I met the qualifications and sent to an online calendar to schedule a phone interview. I selected the date and time of my choice, received an email confirmation, and then later another email explaining that the selected time is actually a 2-hour window, and they will do their best to call within 2 hours of the time I chose (9am). I had prepared for the interview fully and found other Glassdoor's comments helpful. I cancelled my plans that Monday morning to ensure I would be free from distractions and available to receive the interview whenever they chose to call. I waited until close to 11am when I received a call, which immediately dropped. At that point, I returned the call, which led me to the Nordstrom HR department. I explained and asked politely for my call to be put through again. At that point they said they said "unfortunately, we have moved on to other applicants". I wanted to work for Nordstrom because I believed their customer service to be exceptional. I was let down to find this is not how they treat applicants and potential employees.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online and got an email shortly after for a phone interview. Very basic conversation and super friendly, why Nordstrom? Tell me about yourself. What is a goal you set but didn't achieve.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult work situation and tell your solution   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Found job posting online using nordstrom's career page. After applying I received a phone call asking me if I was available to come in for an interview a week later. I came in, and there were multiple positions to interview for, each at a table that a person could wait to approach. I interviewed with a few and eventually got an offer from the @home department. Upon discussing with many others in the company the multiple tables/interviews thing was unusual.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me why you would feel comfortable selling a 2000 piece of merchandise.   View Answer
    Not available.

Retail Management Interview

First interview was a phone interview with a lady named Cecilia from corporate. She really just asked questions about my availability and why I wanted to work at Nordstrom. Then she set me up with a second face-to-face interview. That was a group interview that consisted of me and two others girls as well as HR managers from the Dallas-area stores. They gave us a brief introduction then split us up and gave us individual interviews. After that, we were taken to a department and I was assigned to find an item for someone's niece's 7th birthday as a selling exercise.

Interview Questions
    • The selling exercise was really the hardest. The interview questions were pretty standard and basic questions.   Answer Question

Women Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in September 2014.

The interview process was quick. After applying I received an email in regards to choosing a time to schedule an over the phone interview. The time that you schedule- the recruiter call within two hours after your scheduled time. The over the phone interview was very easy. The HR recruiter was very nice and up beat. She let me know that I would be receiving a phone call to come in for a follow up interview. A week later I was contacted to come in the following week for an open interview. The open interview reminded me of a job fair. In one room were the department managers of different departments that had openings. We were assigned to one and in one big room myself and a few others were interviewed at the same time. It was different and pretty cool. From there I was taken to the department of which I would be potentially working. The department manager showed me around and then tested me on the sales floor. She asked me to pick out an outfit and and sale to her. If I had not had previous experience then I would have failed this test but it was simple. From there I interviewed with the store manager. The questions she asked were similar to the questions from the department manager and that was the end. An hour later I was called and hired. Yeah!!!!. Here is a little tip: Do your research on the company through the stores website, job boards, and review websites like this one. Both managers were impressed by that. And then ask them questions regarding your research, the employer will be extremely impressed.

Interview Questions
    • If you did not make your sales goal for the week how would you do better the following week?   Answer Question
    The majority of all Nordstrom positions are commission, but I was informed that if the employees do not make their commission for the week they do give us draw vs. commission so you do not go home with nothing on your pay check. The draw starts off at the minimum wage level at $8.25 but can go up depending on experience. If you make commission and up then of course you would receive your commission.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in September 2014.

I Initially applied to be a cosmetics associate, but due to my lack of professional training, my application was sent to the jewelry department after my initial interview with a cosmetics manager. The next day following my interview with cosmetics, I was contacted by the jewelry manager requesting an interview with me. At the interview, she had my paperwork from my previous interview a few days prior. She gave me great details regarding the position and the team in the jewelry division. She told she would contact me by the end of the week and I received a phone call within four days. I gladly accepted. The entire process was quite painless and I never felt intimidated by my interviewers.

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ

Interviewed with assistant cosmetics manager, asked questions such as why Nordstroms? team work and selling experience. The manager was pleasant and others were being interviewed for the position by other people. I was told the counters were busy and they were looking for someone to handle and fast and heavy sales load. I was encouraged to re-apply if I saw anything in the future that interested me.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when at work you were in competition with a co-worker and what was the result   View Answer

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in September 2014.

I applied online and the next day I got an email and I made the appointment for Wednesday at 2:00 PM.They called me around 2:37 PM and the interview lasted about 6 mins.The lady told me they were going to interview more people and call me if I made it.

Work From Home Customer Service Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in September 2014.

My interview process was pretty straight forward, I applied online a week or two later I received an email asking to schedule the initial phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes the interviewer went over the job description and details confirmed that I understood and then asked if I wanted to proceed I did, He then asked about work history, and some situational questions like "name a time when... etc." I passed that interview he immediately moved me on to next stages which were the assessments. Nordstrom will test you over two things muti-tasking and grammar/ professionalism which is a email composition test to see how you correspond. I completed the testing a few days later I was notified I passed both and was scheduled for a live Interview via Hirevue through webcam, I was not able to complete the webcam process so they accommodated and granted another phone interview once I passed the second interview I was made an offer and I have accepted!

Interview Questions
    • Name a skill you have had to work on or be coached on   View Answer
    No Negotiation fair offer given