Nordstrom Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
1,045 Interview Reviews

2.6

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in July 2014.

I applied online as a joke, just to see if I was even qualified. I have 1 and 1/2 years of retail experience so I went for it. I got an email confirming they got my application, and then I got an email a couple hours later saying they were interested in me and to set up a phone interview! I was so excited, I setup an interview for the next week when I had a day off from my current job. I chose for 10 AM and they didnt call me till 12:05! I was actually discouraged, but when I got on the phone, I sold it and she loved me! (i wish i knew her name) So then she asked if I could come in for a face to face interview in about 3 days. I said sure! I then got a call an hour later asking if I come in the next day for an interview! I said of course, told my current job I'd be late. I went in for a face to face and I was NERVOUS, i got there 15 minutes early, as they ask on the phone. Dress professionally, both the interviewers loved my outfit. SO i get to the questions and its basically a personality test and to see how well you are going to do with commission. When was a time you didn't meet a goal and what did you do to fix it? Are you competitive, when were you competitive? How did you work with a group to make a goal? Generic retail questions. I sold it, they loved everything I was saying and were extremely sweet and relaxed with me. We got off topic a little, but the last part was to pick an outfit for my interviewer and I did cruddy hahaha. But i BS'd it and gave her options and explained what acc/shoes/makeup I would do with it and they liked that. That was done (that was the worst part but have fun and give options. its hard to pick good things on the spot) we went back upstairs and they offered me the job right on the spot! Simple, straightforward, sell yourself!

Interview Questions
    • How do you encourage your coworkers to maintain the level of professionalism that you have?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2014.

Recruiter called and asked basic questions about past experiences i.e. examples of working in groups, working with other people ,customer service experience. Went to panel interview. Asked basic questions and had me sell something to them

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2014.

Just let them know that you thrive off of friendly competition, you love fashion and you've always wanted to work for and make nordstrom a career. They'll love you.

Commission only

Corporate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2013.

Call you for a 5 minute interview, which is just asking about location, availability, there are no questions here other than logistical information. You will then schedule a next interview.

Second call will be around 30 minutes. All situational questions, "tell me a time when you didn't get a long with someone you worked with" "tell me a story etc"

Third interview is in person which is about 45-60 minutes long. Here they asked technical questions regarding Excel and Microsoft products and asked what I could do with them. Talk confidently and specifically about how you have used these tools in the past.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most complicated thing you can do with Excel?   View Answer
    None.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in September 2013.

Applied online and got a phone call to set up an in person interview. Met with HR to interview. Met with department manager same day. Received a phone call later on from department manager for a job offer and accepted. Started new hire orientation immediately.

Interview Questions
    • All Questions were based on retail experience. None of the questions were unexpected.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation, it is all commission unless you don't make your draw, then you receive minimum wage.

Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2014.

Received an email from HR stating their was an interview opening for this day at this time and to reply if I would be able to attend. I did and went in, and met with the manager at the specified department and she took me into her back office. We sat and talked about what I'm up to with school and such and how I heard about the position and what I know about Nordstrom as a company. Asked basic questions like what is most important to you for success in retail -- customer service; and what experience you have with commission based selling. Basically want to know if you're competitive and driven by that because it is a dog-eat-dog environment even though they all want you to succeed.

Interview Questions
    • In 3 steps how would you develop and maintain customer relationships at Nordstrom?   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in September 2013.

I applied online on Nordstrom's website. I recieved a call from HR the next day and had a short phone interview that lasted about 5 minutes. She asked me basic questions such as "Why do I want to work at Nordstrom?" and scheduled an in person interview with the manager of the department I applied to. I met with the manager and she wanted me to come in again to meet the store manager. After I did, she offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you apply to (department's name)? How long do you see yourself apart of this company? What influences your personal style?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, it's commission based.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in July 2014.

A colleague from our former employer started working at Nordstrom earlier this year and contacted me about positions she knew were open that may be a good fit as she is enjoying working at Nordstrom and thought it would be a great place for me. Process:

1st week in June: the former colleague referred me and I formally applied
    end of June: email request to speak to the recruiter via phone
    mid-July: phone call with recruiter finally scheduled and took place. Good phone call with next steps stated to be a phone call with the hiring manager
    end of July: learned through an auto-reply to an email I sent that the recruiter was no longer with Nordstrom. I sent an email to the new recruiter.
    two business days later: I received an auto-generated email received that they have decided to pursue other applicants

I do not know what happened internally regarding this job and the original recruiter. I did reach out to the new recruiter after receiving the auto-generated email and she was apologetic and provided as much context as she could, including the fact that an offer had been extended and accepted by another candidate. However, the process took almost two months to end with an impersonal email after being told I would speak with the hiring manager. Nordstrom has a core focus of customer experience, one of which I've known as a top tier Loyalty member. It makes me sad to know the same experience does not extend to recruiting and it has also tainted how I feel about the store and Nordstrom brand.

Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Applied for the summer internship program for sales. I applied online and was contacted within a week to set up a phone interview. I was then sent to a site to schedule a interview within a two hour time slot which they would call me in. Time slot was from 12:00-2:00pm and I was not called until 1:58pm, which I understand is still in the time window, but it was a little off putting. I was asked VERY basic questions, and asked a little about my job experience. Very short interview, took about 5 minutes. Seemed very interested on the phone, but I got an email the next day saying I wouldn't move on in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe leadership experience, strengths, weaknesses, your favorite designers.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom.

It was a phone interview followed by an interview with HR and then the department Manager. The questions are geared towards customer service and selling. You must be very available if you want to work full time.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with an unpleasant customer? And how did you satisfy the customers needs?   Answer Question