Nordstrom

Relevance Date Difficulty

Cosmetics Salesperson Interview

Cosmetics Salesperson

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details – I got scheduled an interview with the assistant manager and the counter manager of MAC cosmetics. It was casual, at the E-bar in Nordstrom. I got asked basic questions like why I wanted to work there, why cosmetics, why MAC, and how I feel about helping multiple people at once.

Interview Question – I didn't have one.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2013.

Interview Details – I got a call within 2 days of applying. We talked on the phone briefly and then did a quick face to face interview. They talk a lot about working off commission. It helps if you have before. They are all about customer service. The job you apply for online isn't always the job they have for you when you are in the interview. After the find a fit department, they take you down to meet the manager and the manager makes you sell an item in the department. It can either be super fun or nerve wracking! I got a call and was hired within the next 2-3 days!

Interview Question – Honestly the most difficult question which isn't difficult at all is When have you had an unhappy customer and how did you handle the situation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, you work off commission.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate
San Francisco, NM

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2012.

Interview Details – Simple retail questions. Asked a lot of scenario based questions since it was my first retail job. "What would you do if..." "How would you handle this..." Oh yeah, there was a role play.

Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview

Nordstrom Sales Associate

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details – Quick and easy! I was nervous before the interview but the interview was extremely laid back and the interviewer was easy going. We went a little off topic but it seemed to ease my nerves. There was basic questions asked, etc.

Interview Question – If you weren't meeting your sales goals, what would be your course of action?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online for a couple seasonal positions. Got an e-mail a week later asking me to schedule a telephone interview. Telephone interview was with someone from HR who asked basic questions: Why Nordstrom, What my experience was, Was I comfortable with commissioned sales, etc. Then she scheduled me for an in-person interview with the HR manager at the store I was interested in. I interviewed with him and it was the same kind of questions. Situational questions about customer service experience and how I would handle difficult customers. Then he said he would give my information to the managers in charge of the department I was interviewing for (BP) and that I should come in for another interview with them. I came in a few days later and met with the manager and assistant manager of BP. We went into a room and they both interviewed me at the same time. They asked the same basic questions and it wasn't too formal. Then they had me go to the department and they described someone who might be shopping and asked me to pick some outfits for her and her theoretical situations (movie date, going to a festival, etc.). I took about 15 minutes and picked outfits out. Make sure you make full outfits! Accessories, jewelry, bags, jackets, etc. I made 3 outfits and explained to them why I chose them for each situation. They asked a couple questions about them and that was it. We said polite goodbyes and I waited to hear back. The next day, I got a call from the BP manager that I got the job! My training was that same week and things moved quickly because I was seasonal and they needed more employees. Overall, just emphasize your customer service skills and how you can best help the customers no matter what department you're in.

Interview Question – I was expecting the role-playing situation, but I still was nervous about it. I was also asked to elaborate on quite a few of my answers, so be thorough.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, it's strictly commission and if you don't hit your numbers they pay you an hourly rate, usually minimum wage. Seasonal employees make 1% less commission than the other regular employees.

Buyer Interview

Buyer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Phone interview by recruiter, followed by an in person interview with the hiring manager. Questions were about prior experience, long term career goals, situation questions and knowledge of the company goals.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation on paid time off. 2 weeks vacation/sick no matter what level you are brought in at or what experience you have. Salary was negotiable.

Restaurant Server Interview

Restaurant Server

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details – I applied for a restaurant server position at the café at Nordstrom. The next day I was contacted by phone to schedule an interview. At the interview, the interviewer actually thought I'd be better as the restaurant cashier. It took about three days before I was offered the position.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Nordstrom Café?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – My advice is to come prepared, practice what you will say, be friendly, make a good impression, and impress them. Come in with a pen, paper, and resume and offer it to them (my interviewer was going off memory and benefited greatly from me having a printed one).

Customer Service Specialist - Work At Home Interview

Customer Service Specialist - Work At Home
Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied and the next morning had an interview offer, completed a series of online tests to confirm my skills and competency, and had both a phone and in-person interview. It was a total time of about a month between my interview and start of orientation/training, and was a very helpful and informative process overall.

Interview Question – The questions were all customer service based nothing too tricky :)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was asked to provide salary requirements and the hourly wage I asked for was met and exceeded by $2.65 more an hour than I was expecting - can't complain!

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied in April as soon as they posted openings for the seasonal sales associates and I scheduled a phone interview a week later. The phone interview was really short, she just asked why I wanted to work at Nordstrom, an example of a time I went above and beyond to achieve a goal, and a couple other questions. I was still at school so she told me to come in on their next interviewing day and that I would be able to choose the department I wanted to work in (based on what would still be available since some previous seasonal employees would be coming back).
For the in-person interview, I was extremely nervous going into it and was expecting a pretty formal interview. However, I arrived 15 minutes early and right after I got there, a woman came to lead us over to the interview room where they had multiple interviews going on at the same time at tables spread out around the room. My interviewer was really nice and laid back, which made me feel much more comfortable. During the interview, she was summarizing my answers and writing them down but it was pretty low pressure--we even got off topic a couple of times so it eliminated most of my nerves. However, a couple of questions I wasn't expecting but as long as you come prepared with a few specific examples of times you have been successful or have reached a goal etc. you should be fine. Also, you don't have to have retail experience to answer the behavioral questions, you can use any examples from your life.
After she finished the questions she talked to me more about the job and then showed me around the department. She asked me a few questions about how familiar I was with the department (brands I could name and trends that were in style this season). Then she gave me a simple scenario where she was a customer and I had to pick out a few items I thought she would like. She asked me what I should do if the customer wanted to buy everything I picked out and I didn't really know so she told me that you want to try to build relationships so you should ask the customer how to contact them if there is a sale or event going on. Finally, she gave me her business card and I e-mailed her the next day to thank her and then she called me back that same day to say I got the job!

Interview Question – 1. Example of successful teamwork, 2. Example of competitive situation, 3. Example of a time someone expected too much out of you, 4. Example of working hard to achieve a goal, 5. How will you reach your sales goals?, 6. Why are you interested in *specific department*?, 7. Come prepared with questions to ask them   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Commissioned Sales Associate
Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2011.

Interview Details – If you are a serious candidate you will have a face to face interview with the Department Manager. The questions are scripted, typical of the current HR trends. There is some role playing.

Interview Question – There are some role playing scenarios. Be yourself and relax. These are not difficult if you enjoy working with the public.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay scale is not negotiable. You might be able to negotiate a preferred schedule, but once a new manager comes in you can start at square one.