Nordstrom Rack Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.3

Management Interview

Interview with two managers and asked a series of questions about servicing the customers. Experience you may have that pertains to servicing the customer. Availability is not important, they just want you to basically open accounts.

Rotating Sales and Support Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack.

I applied online and after approx. a week I got a call from HR. I had a phone interview with a few general questions about my knowledge of the company and customer service.Then,I got scheduled for an interview in person first with the HR representative and then with the store manager.They both asked similar questions like "why do you want to work at Nordstrom?" The HR representative had a lot more question regarding qualifications and work history.You had to show your best with her in order to move up and have an interview with the store manager.The interviews were casual and friendly which allowed me to relax and be myself. The store manager was very polite and informative. He took great time to talk about the company, its values and its culture. He also shared his own development within the company which showed how passionate he his work. Finally, he gave me a tour of the store and an overview of much of the store procedures.
    I got call that same afternoon with an offer. I accepted and was soon scheduled for training.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you are the best person for this position?   Answer Question

Sales Associate- Rack Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack.

HR corporate phone call (10 minute phone interview), followed by a schedule personal interview at desired store, interviewed with department manager, and the store manager briefly. The questions are generally easily, they are more concerned that you are reliable and are personable as that is what Nordstrom culture is all about. Nothing difficult was asked.

Interview Questions
    • Generic retail experience questions, focus on customer service examples   Answer Question

Sales Associate- Rack Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack.

I applied online and then I got an email about 2-3 weeks later asking to set up a phone interview, set one up and did the phone interview which first they ask Why do you want to work for Nordstrom? Why do you specifically want to work at Nordstrom Rack? Tell us about a time in which you worked in a team and if there were any difficulties how did you handle it? What is your role in a group setting? Also have you ever worked in a fast-paced environment and how do you prioritize? And Have you ever had a difficult customer and how did you handle it? I then got offered an in-person interview and set one up the following week.
    The in-person interview kind of asked the same questions like the difficult customer and working in fast-paced environment, they also asked about any goals (personal, career, etc.) and what did I do to achieve those goals. and what is my role in a group. The questions were not really hard and then she took me on a tour of the store and said their last interview was tomorrow and I should hear back in about a week.

Interview Questions
    • How do you work in groups and what is your role in a group setting?   Answer Question

Women's Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack.

- Checked email as daily as possible.
    - Email had me set up an appointment for a phone interview.
    - Chose day and time.
    - Waited until that day, lady gave me a call within the hours that I chose.
    - Unfortunately, the positions were all filled already so they had my phone interview stored in profile
    - A month later, they called back for an in-store interview.
    - In-store interview was held in their backroom
    - Asked me about 7-10 questions in total
    - Told me she'd call by next week, but she never did so I kept calling that same week
    - Kept telling me that she would call tomorrow.
    - Finally called me back, but she went with a different person.

Interview Questions
    • I already knew what questions were going to be asked since I've done so many interviews.   Answer Question

Rotating Sales and Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack in July 2014.

Phone interview first, followed by a 1:1 in the store the next day. I was unimpressed with both experiences as they were both less than 10-12 minutes involving about 10 questions, plus explanations of the job role, schedule, history of the store, etc. I don't feel like quality responses can be assessed in 15 seconds. Especially when the question is "walk me through your employment history." I felt they were seeking generic "stock" answers rather my honest responses.

Interview Questions
    • Traditional retail interview questions, nothing unexpected: Dealing with difficult customers, explanation of short-term goals, why Nordstrom, etc. They did ask if I was familiar with the history of the store, and I was (I read the wiki before I went in), but I didn't feel like saying no would've had a negative impact on the interview.   Answer Question

Far better opportunity. I did not want to work retail.

Department Manager Interview

Group interview- I felt over qualified for the individuals that interviewed me. STAR interview process. They say they are goal driven but I think it is mostly a task driven company.

When I was called back the woman said she already told me they went with someone else. She had called and left me a voicemail, and did not speak to me. The voicemail asked me to call back.

Overall- very unprofessional experience.

Interview Questions
    • How do you set goals?

How do you lead?

What do you know about Nordstrom?
        Answer Question

Apparel Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack in September 2013.

There was a new store opening so we did group interview sessions (the actual interview was one on one, but a whole group of us came in at the same time) in a hotel near the location of the store. We each had two interviews (typically one with the manager of the department they were interested in and one with another manager) and we also had an informal chat with the store manager.

Interview Questions
    • None. It was mostly personal experience questions regarding customer service.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack in May 2013.

All applications are done online. After filling out a pretty straight forward application on the nordstrom careers website, I then recieved an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 5 minutes, asking basic personality question (ex. why the rack?), I was called in for an in person interview with the store's support manager. The interview lasted about 15 minutes, very straight forward interview questions. After the interview I was given the position I was seeking.

Interview Questions
    • How would you help a customer who is unsatisfied with merchandise that they have purchased?   Answer Question

Rover Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack in April 2014.

Initially I completed the application online and answered the questionnaire which was about 50 questions. Maybe one hour later I was asked to schedule a phone interview via email for the following week. The call went well and there were a series of customer service question that detailed customer experiences, why Nordstrom and the average generic retail questions. At the end of the call I was scheduled to come in for an interview. Initially I started out with the Store Manager and then he went to get a department manager to meet with me. She asked the exact same questions and we spoke a bit longer about Nordstrom and retail shopping. She then took me on a tour of the store and showed the different departments. At the end the manager walked me out and said that I would hear from them on Friday.

Interview Questions
    • What goal have you set for yourself and accomplished in the past year? What goals have you accomplished while working as a team?   Answer Question

Worked for Nordstrom Rack? Contribute to the Community!