Nordstrom Rack Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014
Updated Sep 26, 2014

2.3

Stock Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack.

I applied online and a few hours later received an email setting up a phone interview. I scheduled it a couple of days later. The phone interview lasted about 10 minutes and then I was set up for an in-store interview with the store manager scheduled two days later. I decided to cancel the in-store interview because I knew that the hours they required would not work with my schedule.

Interview Questions
    • How would you prioritize your time in the store when you have to organize while there are many shoppers?   Answer Question

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack.

I submitted my application online & a few days later received a message to set up a phone interview with an HR representative. The interviewer called me within an hour of the allotted time frame, which the phone call lasted about 15 minutes. I was asked to go through my work experience and asked a few questions about team work and customer service. I then was scheduled an interview 3 days later for an in person interview at the store. The dept. manager was very nice and made me feel comfortable & was given a tour of the store. I was asked about 10 questions relating to customer situations. I then was interviewed by the store manager whom asked similar questions and went over their experience at the store. Overall it was a good interview experience. I was told I would hear back early the following week and I did!

Management Interview

Interview with two managers and asked a series of questions about servicing the customers. Experience you may have that pertains to servicing the customer. Availability is not important, they just want you to basically open accounts.

Rotating Sales and Support Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack.

I applied online and after approx. a week I got a call from HR. I had a phone interview with a few general questions about my knowledge of the company and customer service.Then,I got scheduled for an interview in person first with the HR representative and then with the store manager.They both asked similar questions like "why do you want to work at Nordstrom?" The HR representative had a lot more question regarding qualifications and work history.You had to show your best with her in order to move up and have an interview with the store manager.The interviews were casual and friendly which allowed me to relax and be myself. The store manager was very polite and informative. He took great time to talk about the company, its values and its culture. He also shared his own development within the company which showed how passionate he his work. Finally, he gave me a tour of the store and an overview of much of the store procedures.
    I got call that same afternoon with an offer. I accepted and was soon scheduled for training.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you are the best person for this position?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack in September 2014.

Applied online at Nordstrom Careers site. The next day I received an email to schedule a phone interview. A few days later, Nordstrom HR called and had a 10 minute interview where she asked why I wanted to work for Nordstrom. The questions were basic interview questions. She then said that she would schedule an interview with the manager of my department. I went to the interview a few days later. The manager asked interview questions that were based off my past experience and situational to the position I applied for. She then asked me to come in the next day to meet with the store manager. I met with another manager and she asked questions that dealt with how I handle difficult situations and also customer service.

Interview Questions
    • Nordstrom has a policy that allows customers to return items in any condition. Many times our employees have trouble accepting returns that have obviously been used. How would you react if a customer came to return an item that has obviously been worn?   View Answer
    The manager I had my last interview said I should receive a call within the next 4 days. I received a call on the 3rd day and accepted the offer.

Sales Associate- Rack Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack.

HR corporate phone call (10 minute phone interview), followed by a schedule personal interview at desired store, interviewed with department manager, and the store manager briefly. The questions are generally easily, they are more concerned that you are reliable and are personable as that is what Nordstrom culture is all about. Nothing difficult was asked.

Interview Questions
    • Generic retail experience questions, focus on customer service examples   Answer Question

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack.

I applied online and then I got an email about 2-3 weeks later asking to set up a phone interview, set one up and did the phone interview which first they ask Why do you want to work for Nordstrom? Why do you specifically want to work at Nordstrom Rack? Tell us about a time in which you worked in a team and if there were any difficulties how did you handle it? What is your role in a group setting? Also have you ever worked in a fast-paced environment and how do you prioritize? And Have you ever had a difficult customer and how did you handle it? I then got offered an in-person interview and set one up the following week.
    The in-person interview kind of asked the same questions like the difficult customer and working in fast-paced environment, they also asked about any goals (personal, career, etc.) and what did I do to achieve those goals. and what is my role in a group. The questions were not really hard and then she took me on a tour of the store and said their last interview was tomorrow and I should hear back in about a week.

Interview Questions
    • How do you work in groups and what is your role in a group setting?   Answer Question

Women's Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack.

- Checked email as daily as possible.
    - Email had me set up an appointment for a phone interview.
    - Chose day and time.
    - Waited until that day, lady gave me a call within the hours that I chose.
    - Unfortunately, the positions were all filled already so they had my phone interview stored in profile
    - A month later, they called back for an in-store interview.
    - In-store interview was held in their backroom
    - Asked me about 7-10 questions in total
    - Told me she'd call by next week, but she never did so I kept calling that same week
    - Kept telling me that she would call tomorrow.
    - Finally called me back, but she went with a different person.

Interview Questions
    • I already knew what questions were going to be asked since I've done so many interviews.   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Group interview- I felt over qualified for the individuals that interviewed me. STAR interview process. They say they are goal driven but I think it is mostly a task driven company.

When I was called back the woman said she already told me they went with someone else. She had called and left me a voicemail, and did not speak to me. The voicemail asked me to call back.

Overall- very unprofessional experience.

Interview Questions
    • How do you set goals?

How do you lead?

What do you know about Nordstrom?
        Answer Question

Sales Associate- Rack Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom Rack.

After applying on their website, I received an email to schedule a phone interview. You do get asked several questions about your previous work history and what and how you resolved several customer related situations. If they like your answers, they will automatically schedule you to meet with a lead or assistant manager in the store. Usually within the next day or two. You will be asked many of the same questions you got asked in your initial phone interview, as well as 15-20 other questions about how you have or would handle a certain situation with picky customers, irate customers, employee drama situations, and of course, how you convince a customer to open up their Nordstrom Visa or even Nordstrom rewards card. Once again, if she liked your responses, she will then set up a third interview with the store manager the following day or a few days after for a few more questions mostly about yourself and what type of experience you have and how long you see yourself in the company. Most of them have more than 4+years, so I'm sure they want to hear that you will be staying long term as they do promote from within.

Interview Questions
    • There are several, but they do focus on your reply to the question of how comfortable are you selling or offering the Nordstrom Visa to every customer.   Answer Question

Worked for Nordstrom Rack? Contribute to the Community!