Nordstrom

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2011.

Interview Details – I filled out the application online, spoke to the department manager and set up in interview. I then ended up meeting with the apartment assistant manager for a one-on-one interview. Pay for the position was 100% commission. After the interview, I was taken to the department to see the area and introduced to the manager. I was then given a scenario (a woman shopping for a weekend in Vegas) to act out.

Interview Question – If you failed to reach your sales goals for a certain day, what would you do?   Answer Question

Natick, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted first by Nordstrom HR by phone where they asked a series of questions regarding why I wanted to work at Nordstrom and asked for examples of how i have dealt with a difficult situation in a workplace and how would I see myself working in a competetive sales environment. I was then called to interview in person where similar questions where asked. I was referred to a department manager where they asked similar screening questions and then asked questions geared towards selling and what additional things I would do to generate sales in the department and then onto role play a selling scenario in the department.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you overcame a conflict with a coworker?   View Answer
  • How would you deal with a difficult customer?   View Answer

Seattle, WA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2012.

Interview Details – Online Application, Phone Screening consisted of why I wanted to specifically work for nordstrom, what makes a successful sales person, and pervious sales experience, and in person interview with department manager with situational questions.

Interview Question – Tell about a time you went above or beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Washington, DC

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in January 2011.

Interview Details – Nordstrom sets up a phone interview first. They will ask about your previous retail experience and what areas of retail you work best in. If they like you, I guess, they will ask you on the spot to come in to one of two interviews. One with the department manager and second with the store manager. Nordstrom managers love personality, knowledge of the finest brands, and someone who is all about sales and signing up customers for different programs they offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online. I took a personality test. I posted my resume and cover letter. The HR called me a week later then offered an in-person interview. I interviewed with three people in one day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I did not have to negotiate.

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2010.

Interview Details – I got an email from Nordstrom after 3 days re an interview. I came 20 mins. early and had to wait for a few minutes. The guy asked me situational questions like how do you deal with angry customers, how do you persuade customers etc. He asked me a bunch of questions. He told me to wait outside and after a few mins. A lady interviewed me again. Ask me almost the same questions(20 questions i think). They asked me to wait for a call so i did. They schedule me again for another interview. I met with the supervisor, she told me that i will be assigned in the active wear department, explained the job responsibility. She told me to wait for an email/call after 4 days because they will do background check. They never call so i called them back. The HR told me that i didn't get the job and they decided to continue the hiring process. After i talked to the lady that's the time they sent me an email that i didn't get the job. The next day a lady from HR called me and told me the same thing! Seems like they don't communicate with each other. I was expecting that i will get the job but i didn't =(

Interview Question – How do you persuade customer?   Answer Question

Canoga Park, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online on a Sunday night and got an e-mail response the following Monday morning, requesting a phone interview to be scheduled in two days, on Tuesday. The phone interview was with someone from HR and was lengthy. I was asked questions about customer service, commission and sales experiences. The whole interview process consisted of three interviews, one being a phone interview. The other two were interviews with the HR manager and the department manager. I was asked to tour the department which I applied for and had to demonstrate a sale to the manager, who was pretending to be a customer.

Interview Question – Pretend to sell me something in this department.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2008.

Interview Details – Online aplication. An interview was set up. First interview with Human Resources, right after with Department Manager.There were many questions to evaluate your knowledge in the fashion field. I believe approximately a month later a decision was made.

Interview Question – What are your favorite designers and fashion periodicals?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, the position has a pretty specific rate. Once you reach the top pay, no increases unless you become a manager.

Very Easy Interview

Retail Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2012.

Interview Details – I just had a phone interview for (originally) personal stylist assistant, but when I got the call they told me the position had already been filled and I could apply for retail sales. I said OK and the interview was really short, about 5 min. She offered me a 1:1 interview in store immediately. I accepted and will be interviewing in early May.

Retail Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2011.

Interview Details – I had interviewed on the phone for about 20 minuets. A few days later I had a 1 on 1. I felt it went well but never had a all back

Interview Question – Have you ever been compared to anyone?   Answer Question

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!