Nordstrom

Getting the Interview

37 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Novi, MI

I applied online and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call a week or 2 later. Got a call from the manager of the department I applied for to schedule an in person interview. Had a one on one interview with the department manager and she asked simple questions about myself and all easy behavioral questions. She then took me around the department and then had to do a mock sale. Lasted about an hour. Got a call a week later and got the job.

Interview Question – All easy questions- most unexpected part of the interview was the mock sale   Answer Question

Salem, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – I applied for a Children's Wear position and yet when I arrived to a group interview no one seemed informed of that and department managers with whom we, candidates, spoke individually, had never seen our applications prior.

Interview Question – What issues do you think the customer might point out about this item?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – I was asked to schedule a phone interview, which was a 15 minute phone call in which they asked basic questions about who you are, sales experience etc. At the end of the phone interview I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. I interviewed first with HR, then with the Assistant Manager. The process was easy.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you had to work in a team and describe the outcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details – I don't remember my interview process. I know that you are initially interviewed by Human Resources. Then they called a manager to meet you. They interviewed me as well. Some of the questions are similar. If that manager didn't need to hire, they would set you up with another manager. After the interview, they will walk you to the floor, and explain it a bit. They will then give you a scenario and ask you to role play by selling them 3 items.

Interview Question – The role play always is a surprise to most people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was usually no negotiation.

Natick, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – HR Pre-Screening by phone consisting of 5-7 basic questions. Next step would be a physical interview with HR again and same questions, then department manager

Interview Question – If you were in x department, how would you start the selling process?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in September 2010.

Interview Details – Applied on line and within the next couple days I was called and asked to interview.
The HR person seemed a bit inexperienced, but he did get the department manager to interview me on the spot. I thought he not only saw " a great candidate" but he avoided wasting time by doing this. The management was nice.

Interview Question – What is your biggest accomplishment in your life?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no problem, except the $9 per hour was not enough for all the retail sales responsibilities and not enough selling time. Also, too many sales people on duty at the same time.

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details – The process was easy and well organized. I applied online, participated in a group interview and met with the department manager, and got an offer later that day.

Interview Question – What would you do if you didn't meet your sales quota?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Nordstrom in January 2014.

Interview Details – Nordstrom is a great company overall, and treats their employees better than "most" retailers, but its interview process needs work. The HR department and Managers made a Men's Department Sales Associate job interview process seem as important as applying at NASA, but they were no means as professional nor as organized.

I filled out an online application, and took the assessment. Passed, then was called by appt by headquarters hiring dept. Passed their screening process, then was asked a time & day to schedule an interview at the store.

When I went to the interview, I had two people in the room with me asking me questions: an HR associate & the store manager. They asked away and I answered then to be told me to come back a week later at a certain time/day to get the 2nd interview with the HR manager.

The next week, the HR/Manager FORGOT that I had even made the interview like as if they had no idea. They were like "what are you doing here?". They gave me the "runaround" and told me they'll call me to let me know a better time. I insisted on going through the HR manager, & had her write in her planner book my name, date & time to interview with her.

The week after that, I finally got the interview done with the HR manager and we hit it off. Salary was discussed, which is truly a can of worms.

The store is small, which means low foot traffic. Furthermore, the men's department was the lowest foot traffic because it was the farthest department from the store entrances (aka the boondocks). They set the wage to $9.50 per hour, or 6500 minimum in weekly sales and 6.75 percent commission off of those sales. Either one or the other, inferring that they want to pressure their employees at this location "that much more" to meet their sales quota as evident by their lower than usual wage. Lastly, they said verbatim "if your department isn't selling well for the month, we'll have to tell you to go". Another thing said was "some days you'll come in to work, other days that are slow...you'll be told to not come in. It depends".

A week after the interview with the HR manager, I got a call by the HR associate giving me the news I was hired. Then she discussed with me the whole nine yards regarding training and orientation, dates & times, where to park, paperwork to fill out such as federal tax returns, etc etc. I got an email with the files to print and fill out with the "congrats" header. Training/Orientation was 3 weeks after the email/phone call. These weeks add up quickly, don't they??

In conclusion, the management and HR dept can be unorganized and unprofessional, which would vary greatly by store location. Also, this type of job is so unstable on terms of job security and wage alike. As if it wasn't bad enough that you cannot make an independent, livable wage (especially in a smaller, low foot traffic store/dept)...if you don't have a high-foot-traffic department, you can kiss your job security goodbye. It doesn't matter if you're a guy who ends up selling lingerie, take the position if it is near the entrance or is known to have high foot traffic.

Lengthy, cumbersome interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you went out of your way to help a customer? How would that apply to the job position?   Answer Question
  • *hands a garment to you* pretend I am a customer. How would you sell this to me?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined the job offer because I received another job offer that actually pays a living wage.

Very Easy Interview

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2014.

Interview Details – There were probably only about 4-5 questions asked, mostly related to which branch I wanted to work in and if I wanted a full/part-time job. However the recruiter did not ask about previous retail/work experiences or discuss anything on my resume which I was disappointed about. There has been no follow-up.

Interview Question – Because Nordstrom works on a commissioned-based sales, what would you do if one of your co-workers decided to compete against you? What would you do?   View Answer

Miami, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2013.

Interview Details – On the phone interview with HR, then face to face interview with HR and possible manager.

Interview Question – Depending on the department you're working for, they ask you to sell an item to them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Just smile and be genuine, they're every day people who love fashion.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Nordstrom

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom Retail Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 37 interview reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees and interview candidates.