Nordstrom Retail Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2014

2.6

42 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

It was a pretty standard retail interview-my interviewees were very friendly and accommodating. Sales is a plus, or any kind of retail experience. It's purely commission based, so if you're not a good salesperson, I would look elsewhere. I know that some departments are different, like cosmetics, but as far as kids clothing and basic women and men's, prepare to sell! They offered me the job within a week after my phone and in person interview. The interview itself lasted about 20-30 minutes. I was sad I couldn't work there, but it just wasn't for me. A lot my friends the entire company is a great one to work for, and they really care about their employees.

Interview Questions

Too hard to juggle two jobs without a set schedule.

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2014.

The process for me started off Rocky, I applied and didn't hear back for about two weeks so I called HR and I was informed she was going through the applications as we speak. So time went on and I didn't hear back so I kept calling and never got any response so I just let it go. So maybe a week after that HR called me and we had a phone interview. A week after that I didn't hear anything so I called back and a manager contacted me two days later. I then had a second phone interview and then was asked to come in for the interview which was on a Thursday. I heard back from Nordstrom Friday and was offered the position.

None. Commission only

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Disorganized. Disrespectful. Flaky. I applied for the hosiery dept. First there was a phone interview. That went well, they asked me to come in. When I got there they said the hosiery job had been filled but would I like to interview for 4 other departments. I said yes, but none of the department managers were available. I was promised a phone call to reschedule. I have to call 4 times before they got back to me. Finally a manager from yet another department interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I have children, which is an illegal question.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Hourly plus negligible commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2012.

Simple retail questions. Asked a lot of scenario based questions since it was my first retail job. "What would you do if..." "How would you handle this..." Oh yeah, there was a role play.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I recently had an interview. interview was quick. first it was a phone interview. took about roughly 15 minutes. then I was scheduled for an in store interview at the new location in Brooklyn, NY. I was interviewed by 2 managers at the in store interview. I wasnt asked to sell a product. I was just asked questions about how I can manage to work in a fast past environment. I was not accepted the job because they ARE NOT looking for seasonal, temporary employment. They want employees that are willing to stay their for years to come so they can have a chance at being promoted to the highest position. TOTALLY BIAS.

Interview Questions
    • all questions are straightforward. All about customer service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Novi, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Applied online and got a call a week or 2 later. Got a call from the manager of the department I applied for to schedule an in person interview. Had a one on one interview with the department manager and she asked simple questions about myself and all easy behavioral questions. She then took me around the department and then had to do a mock sale. Lasted about an hour. Got a call a week later and got the job.

Interview Questions
    • All easy questions- most unexpected part of the interview was the mock sale   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salem, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied for a Children's Wear position and yet when I arrived to a group interview no one seemed informed of that and department managers with whom we, candidates, spoke individually, had never seen our applications prior.

Interview Questions
    • What issues do you think the customer might point out about this item?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom.

I was asked to schedule a phone interview, which was a 15 minute phone call in which they asked basic questions about who you are, sales experience etc. At the end of the phone interview I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. I interviewed first with HR, then with the Assistant Manager. The process was easy.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you had to work in a team and describe the outcome.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I don't remember my interview process. I know that you are initially interviewed by Human Resources. Then they called a manager to meet you. They interviewed me as well. Some of the questions are similar. If that manager didn't need to hire, they would set you up with another manager. After the interview, they will walk you to the floor, and explain it a bit. They will then give you a scenario and ask you to role play by selling them 3 items.

Interview Questions
    There was usually no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Natick, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

HR Pre-Screening by phone consisting of 5-7 basic questions. Next step would be a physical interview with HR again and same questions, then department manager

Interview Questions
    • If you were in x department, how would you start the selling process?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!