Nordstrom

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Sterling Heights, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very tedious. I was called in for an interview early on in the hiring process so it took a very long time to actually be considered. (Started the interviewing process in February, I received an offer in April) Once considered, I was told that the positions for the store was filled and was offered to interview for another location. After the interview for the the new location, I received a job offer a few days later.

Interview Question – How would you sale a blazer to a customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Sterling Heights, MI

Interview Details – I signed my application late January online. I applied for three locations and was only accepted at one, the other two locations denied my application. I did a phone screening and then was asked to come in for an in-person interview two weeks later at the beginning of February. I remembered walking up for the interview and being very nervous. However, although my interviewer was late, she was very friendly. (Everyone in HR is friendly) She even gave me a free card for their cafe to excuse her tardiness. She told me I applied too early and that they are in the beginning stages of the interviewing process but I will contacted by March. Two months later she told me that I did not get the position in her store but she wanted to know if I would be interested in their other location (this was a location that I applied for but was denied by through the initial online screening). Of course, I said yes because I really wanted to work for them and needed an internship to graduate. Their was a brief phone screening for the HR at the other location and the next phone call I had was them asking me to accept the position!

Interview Question – We had to go on the floor and I had to Sale an item to HR. She asked me to convince her to buy this item and let her know why she should buy this item   Answer Question

Retail Sales Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2011.

Interview Details – Initially, went through two phone interviews, mostly behavioral questions. Was called to the store I was working in and walked the floor with HR rep as we had fairly laid back, more conversational interview, was also interview by store manager over phone.

Interview Question – Given a certain scenario, how to deal with a customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Dress well

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2012.

Interview Details – There was a phone interview that led to a face-to-face interview in the store. The face to face interview consisted of questions about my retail experience, leadership background, if I was able to thrive in a competitive/commission-based environment, etc. There was also a walk through on the sales floor where you must sell an outfit or a product to the interviewer to show if you can really sell.

Interview Question – Most memorable customer service memory or tell me about a time when you gave outstanding customer service. It was difficult because they want SPECIFICITY.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked me if the internship dates fell into my availability and if the commission rates and hourly were good.

Retail Sales Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2012.

Interview Details – The phone interview for this position was easy. Basic questions and no feedback, just question after question and then they tell you they would like to set up an in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of a sit-down where some of the phone interview questions were repeated and other situational questions were asked. Then either the same person you were speaking with or a manager of a department will take you out onto the sales floor, give you a scenario and ask you to sell them something. I have experience working for a high-end women's boutique so when I was asked to sell her denim, I was more than comfortable and familiar with the product and did as good of a job as could be done. I thought the interview went very well and was shocked when I did not receive an offer. What was even worse was how the HR representative handled telling me I was not chosen. She gave me a window of around 15 days to expect to hear back and I never did. I emailed her inquiring about when I would hear back and got an automated response that she was on vacation. A few days later I got a call from her saying that not only was I not chosen for the internship but she had decided last week, essentially letting me know that had I not contacted her they would not have even had the decency to send me a generic rejection email. After this interview, my opinion of Nordstrom truly has changed. Not to mention, this internship is not an internship at all. It is a glorified sales associate position where you are given no professional responsibility and spend your summer as a slave to their sales floor. The biggest slap in the face? They offered me a sales position instead. Needless to say, I declined.

Interview Questions

Retail Sales Intern Interview

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2010.

Interview Details – Applied on a Sunday. The HR Manager emailed me on Monday morning asking to set up a phone interview with me on Tuesday. Phone interview was very easy, asking basic questions about why I wanted to work there and if I was comfortable with making a commission based salary. At the end of the phone interview she had told me that I had passed and asked to set up an in-person interview two days later. Again very basic interview questions in the in-person interview. Said she would call me in a few weeks and let me know but she called and offered me the position on the monday after I had first applied.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you did not get along with a manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate because it is mostly commission which is awesome at Nordstrom

Interviews for Top Jobs at Nordstrom

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom Retail Sales Intern interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees and interview candidates.