Nordstrom

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Retail Sales Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in March 2011.

I applied online and had to take a personality test which is easy to screen through if you follow their values of strong commitment to customer service, being comfortable with the competitive nature of the position, and ability to lead and work inside a team. Next I received a phone call that was fairly easy requesting customer service, leadership, and project management questions. Finally, I was requested to schedule a final interview on site with one of the managers. They did a background test first and contacted 1 or 2 of the people I listed for references. The in-person interview was a very comfortable 1:1, and I had to "sell" the water bottle I brought with me. We then discussed what department I wanted to work in and at the end she casually offered me the position. I graciously thanked her and told her I would give her a solid answer by the end of the week. She was very polite. I would highly recommend applying for the position if you have previous sales experience or are a people person.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time you had to deal with a customer that was uncooperative.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time you failed to reach a goal.   Answer Question

The nature of the commission-based salary, lack of promotion to Corporate level immediately after college, and the lack of data for average sales an intern would make. I chose something more stable with a clearly defined career path.

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Retail-Sales Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in March 2012.

I applied online and was prompted to take a personality quiz. The next day I was contacted asking to set up a phone interview. The interview was held later that week and lasted around 20 minutes. They asked a lot of general questions such as "why Nordstroms?" and "how do you feel about teamwork environments?" At the end of the interview the recruiter extended me an offer to partake in the final round of interviews, which were scheduled for a week later. This second interview was a 1:1 situation (I go to school out of state so they let me Skype in). This interview lasted about 45 minutes and the HR woman asked me about different experiences with customers, teamworks, etc. Probably the most stressful part was when I was asked to do a mock sales situation; she asked me to sell her shoes for her 3 y/o and 8 y/o sons who were going to Disney World. All in all the interview was fairly easy.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about selling me shoes for my young sons who are about to go on vacation? What elements of the shoes would be sure to highlight as selling points?   Answer Question
    Two days after my final interview I was offered the position and I accepted it. There was no negotiation because they have a relatively set salary for interns.

Retail Sales Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in March 2011.

Basic questions about personality and past experiences. Asked detailed questions on elements of resume. Also had questions on current trends.