Nordstrom

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in October 2011.

Interview Details – Online assessment and application, Phone interview, 1:1 interview

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in January 2011.

Interview Details – For heaven's sake, dress professionally! In many departments, they still wear suits every day

Phase 1: Phone screening
Phase 2: HR interview
Phase 3: Department MangerInterview
Phase 4: Store Manager--This means the Department Manager wants to hire you

Q: Why do you like sales? A: Comission, determine your own pay. Get out of it what you out into it.

Q: How do you know satisfied customer? A: They smile, they say thank you they "leave with bags in their hand" (Nordy quote). Most importantly, you can build a relationship and thay come back.

Q: If your not meeting your metrics (sales goals) what would you do? A: Ask my manger or someone that is a sucessful salesperson. Seek to follow the example of sucessful salespeople. Build product knowledge--educate myself so I can educate my customers. Follow-up with customers to try to buld repeat business.

Interview Questions

• Q: How do you know satisfied customer?   View Answer
  • Q: If you're not meeting your metrics (sales goals) what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pay is strictly comission. If you can, find out from someone in the store: in what department is the team earning the most? For example, in my store it is the Women's Shoes team.

Los Angeles, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in July 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online, and received a call 5 days later for a phone interview. The phone interview was very relaxed. I was asked about my previous retail and sales experience; and why I would thrive in a commisioned based atmosphere. After I passed the phone interview i was told that I would receive a call to set up an interview with a department manager. The department manager called me 2 days later to set up a 1:1 interview. The 1:1 interview wasn't too bad. I made sure to build rapport with the department manager. I was asked questions about my biggest sell, my competitive nature, and I was asked to sell a particular garment in the department I was applying for. Two days later I was called with an offer for employment.

Retail Sales

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in January 2012.

Interview Details – A phone interview to begin as the first contact. Question like: Why would you like to work for Nordstrom? Why you like to work for handbag instead of other department? What customer experience do I have? How do I deliver a customer service, can I give them an example? Then, a person to person interview is scheduled and I am waiting to find out whether I get the job.

Interview Question – How do I handle the situation when I have to projects that need to dealt with or finish at the same time?   View Answer

Retail Sales

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online, and then scheduled my phone interview, which lasted for about five minutes. It was really brief and only really asked why I wanted to work for Nordstrom, if I had any sales experience, and what my schedule is. I really focused on how much I liked the Nordstrom culture and customer service.. it was a lot easier than I was expecting! Before hanging up he scheduled another interview with me which happened a few days later.
My first one on One interview was with the HR manager.. it was about 20 min long and was fairly easy. She asked a lot of questions about my previous experience and just personality questions. Like how do I solve a problem, how do I deal with an angry customer, what is something I'm proud of And how did I get there, ect. . So after she was done (and they write everything down) she set up the final interview for the next day with the manager of the department I was applying for.
The final interview was the most nerve racking! I was asked a lot of the same type of structured questions, like how do I complete my daily expectations, a time I went above and beyond for a customer.. and then we went to the department and I had to sell her an item-- that was the scary part for me lol the whole interview took a little over an hour!
I received an email 30 min later and they were asking for me to complete a background check.. then when I finished I received a call from the first person I spoke with and got an offer!

Interview Question – Have you ever been compared to anyone?   Answer Question

Retail Sales

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2011.

Interview Details – Started with a phone "screen" and was invited for an in person interview with HR and the hiring manager. Hiring manager interview included a selling exercise and department walkthrough

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – no negotiation; compensation was draw/commission.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!