Nordstrom

Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.5

362 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

There were two interviews. One with hr and department manager. Ask me have I ever sold before or was on commission. Looking for someone with an can do attitude

Interview Questions
  • I was told to sale an item right on the spot   View Answer
No negotiation. Commission based

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Was screen interviewed over the phone by HR and was asked my availability and a couple behavioral questions. Then I received a call to do an interview in store. I was interviewed by the Department manager, and two assistants. Questions were based off of previous work experience. Typically retail knowledge and mostly was just told about the job, what it's like working on commission and asked a couple customer service questions. Know in detail what you did at your previous jobs. Always focus on customer service! Customer is key at Nordstrom.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions if you are a people person and have worked retail.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Emailed me to schedule an interview. Arrived, had a quick 10 minute interview. Then was led to the department and asked to "sell" an outfit to the hiring manager.
    Was immediately job offered once completing the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

I had one phone interview, which was a very brief affair and lasted approximately 3-4 minutes. I was then asked to fill in an online questionnaire. Shortly after I received a call asking me to come into the store for a "proper" interview. I then had two in-store interviews. One with the department manager, and one with the store manager. The interviewers were all very nice, friendly and seemed genuinely interested in learning more about me. All in all a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were the ones you would usually expect for this type of positions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

I was referred by a current employee and sent my resume in online. I got a call within a few hours to schedule an interview in the Active Wear department for the very next day. The interview felt promising. I sent a "thank you" email to the department manager and I got a call back a week later to interview with POV. (According to the employee I know that works there, the Active Wear manager felt I would do better in designer wear and recommended me to another department.) Again, the interview was scheduled for the next day. This one seemed to go even better than the last. I felt super confident. The department manager told me I'd hear back within 5 days. 7 days went by and I hadn't heard anything so I contacted HR to inquire about the status of my application. HR said my application was still in review and asked if I would be interested in interviewing with the Shoes department. I agreed with the expectation of another phone call. Two weeks have gone by and I haven't heard anything from any of the departments. I'm over it at this point. Would have been nice if they could have just informed me that they found a better fit. Oh well.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to utilize teamwork

Describe a situation where you had to deal with a particularly difficult customer and how you handled it

For each interview I was taken to the sales floor and asked to "sell" an item. In the first interview I was told to pick any article of clothing. In the second interview I was provided a scenario: a woman who had recently given birth needed to find an article of clothing that she could wear to work and out. Keeping her fluctuating weight in mind.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

Applied Online, process took about 2-3 weeks. I had originally interviewed with a department manager, she never got back to me, so I had to be really persistent. I ended up interviewing with another department manager and made it through.

Interview Questions
    • Give your most recent experience dealing with a hard customer   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and got a phone call a few days later. Unfortunately, I was busy with personal things and missed the call by just a couple minutes. She left a message and I called back just a few minutes later and she had already left the office for the day. I called back the next day and left a message. No answer back. I left 3 messages and still had not heard back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buford, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buford, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Very straight forward. Why do you like fashion? Why do you want to work for Nordstrom? Examples of how you sell or would encourage someone to open a reward (debit/credit) card. Positives and negatives about yourself.

Interview Questions
    • What is one of your negative qualities? I always try to say something that could also be a positive, like I am OCD (I really am) and sometimes things have to be organized before I can tackle the issue, which is bad because it takes extra time to organize, but good because I'm organized and prioritize.   Answer Question
    No real opportunity to negotiate- you either want the job for what they offer to pay you or they will offer it to the next person....they will not negotiate pay for a sales position because they say you have the opportunity to earn commission, but you only get your hourly check or your commission check NOT BOTH (unless you work in hosiery or at home, just because they are low volume/slow departments and harder to earn commission- so if you work on of these departments, CROSS SELL LIKE CRAZY- because if you work hosiery for example, and you sell a few pairs of leggings, but they your customer wants a new handbag and shoes too, that is YOUR customer and you can cross sell those items to them and get the commission off the shoes/bag and you will ACTUALLY GET the commission)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online. Got an email a week after to come for an interview. The interview was pretty easy and on time. Very nice people work there. Had an interview with a dept manager and then with HR.

Interview Questions
    • How competitive you are? How did you reach your goals?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online. The application processes wasn't as painfully long as most companies. After I submitted the application I got an email back right away to set up a phone interview. The questions they asked me were pretty easy. I didn't feel like they asked anything too difficult and they were very friendly. I got another call back for another interview a day or two later. While I didn't end up accepting this job, the interview process is very straight forward and simple and would recommend anyone to apply there

Interview Questions
    • If you had a coworker that you knew was struggling finically and had multiple children stole some supplies to take home, what would you do?   Answer Question

I had a conflicting schedule