Nordstrom

Updated Nov 15, 2014

2.5

357 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Was screen interviewed over the phone by HR and was asked my availability and a couple behavioral questions. Then I received a call to do an interview in store. I was interviewed by the Department manager, and two assistants. Questions were based off of previous work experience. Typically retail knowledge and mostly was just told about the job, what it's like working on commission and asked a couple customer service questions. Know in detail what you did at your previous jobs. Always focus on customer service! Customer is key at Nordstrom.

Interview Questions
  • No hard questions if you are a people person and have worked retail.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Emailed me to schedule an interview. Arrived, had a quick 10 minute interview. Then was led to the department and asked to "sell" an outfit to the hiring manager.
    Was immediately job offered once completing the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

I had one phone interview, which was a very brief affair and lasted approximately 3-4 minutes. I was then asked to fill in an online questionnaire. Shortly after I received a call asking me to come into the store for a "proper" interview. I then had two in-store interviews. One with the department manager, and one with the store manager. The interviewers were all very nice, friendly and seemed genuinely interested in learning more about me. All in all a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were the ones you would usually expect for this type of positions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and got a phone call a few days later. Unfortunately, I was busy with personal things and missed the call by just a couple minutes. She left a message and I called back just a few minutes later and she had already left the office for the day. I called back the next day and left a message. No answer back. I left 3 messages and still had not heard back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buford, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buford, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Very straight forward. Why do you like fashion? Why do you want to work for Nordstrom? Examples of how you sell or would encourage someone to open a reward (debit/credit) card. Positives and negatives about yourself.

Interview Questions
    • What is one of your negative qualities? I always try to say something that could also be a positive, like I am OCD (I really am) and sometimes things have to be organized before I can tackle the issue, which is bad because it takes extra time to organize, but good because I'm organized and prioritize.   Answer Question
    No real opportunity to negotiate- you either want the job for what they offer to pay you or they will offer it to the next person....they will not negotiate pay for a sales position because they say you have the opportunity to earn commission, but you only get your hourly check or your commission check NOT BOTH (unless you work in hosiery or at home, just because they are low volume/slow departments and harder to earn commission- so if you work on of these departments, CROSS SELL LIKE CRAZY- because if you work hosiery for example, and you sell a few pairs of leggings, but they your customer wants a new handbag and shoes too, that is YOUR customer and you can cross sell those items to them and get the commission off the shoes/bag and you will ACTUALLY GET the commission)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online. Got an email a week after to come for an interview. The interview was pretty easy and on time. Very nice people work there. Had an interview with a dept manager and then with HR.

Interview Questions
    • How competitive you are? How did you reach your goals?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online. The application processes wasn't as painfully long as most companies. After I submitted the application I got an email back right away to set up a phone interview. The questions they asked me were pretty easy. I didn't feel like they asked anything too difficult and they were very friendly. I got another call back for another interview a day or two later. While I didn't end up accepting this job, the interview process is very straight forward and simple and would recommend anyone to apply there

Interview Questions
    • If you had a coworker that you knew was struggling finically and had multiple children stole some supplies to take home, what would you do?   Answer Question

I had a conflicting schedule

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person – interviewed at Nordstrom.

The hiring and interview process was a bit lengthy but pretty straight forward. I applied and shortly after, got called to do a phone interview. After doing well with my phone interview, I was then called back in for a one-on-one interview with the head of HR. She was the same person that conducted my phone interview. She basically asked me typical retail interview questions and tested me on my customer service skills.
    After that interview, I had one last interview with my soon to be manager. She asked me a few more retail and customer service related questions and then asked me to do some on the spot selling in her department. It was pretty simple and actually kind of fun. All-in-all, it was a success. I got the job!
    Just smile, be confident and remember the customer is always right!

Interview Questions
    • What would you say to a customer that was trying to return something that was obviously not from the store?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

I started at the rack so the interviews were conducted in group settings which took some pressure off. When I applied at the full line previous to the Rack coming to Annapolis, it was one on one and was a very difficult interview.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have any unexpected questions during my Rack interview.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

open interview was where I picked 3 departments to interview with. The second dept gave me the job. Very loud in room when interviewing with managers. Was asked about a time when I had a hard to sell item.