Nordstrom

Getting the Interview

304 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for at least 10 jobs at Nordstrom and I never got an interview with them, I want to know What am I doing wrong? I filled out the whole application process online. They always send me an email telling me about the job that I apply and 2 days later an email telling me the whole interview process is going to star without me.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had an upset customer and how you handle it?   Answer Question
  • If you are not meeting your metrics (sales goals) What would you do?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in December 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online next day recieved email to set up phone interview. If you do well on phone interview they will call you in for a 1:1 interview. Phone interview was with a hr manager she seemed nice and seemed liked she wanted to hire me over the phone so I thought I got it. Then went for the 1:1 interview and the hr didn't interview me, the shoe manager who didn't know nothing about me did the interview so I had to make a good impression again didn't go so well. Didn't receive an offer.

Interview Question – Why Nordstrom?   View Answer

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2011.

Interview Details – Brief interview. I wasn't prepared so it did not go well.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Aventura, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and was emailed to schedule a phone interview the very next day. The lady on the phone seemed nice. The interview questions were a bit difficult for me (it was my first interview). Overall I thought I did okay. About a week and a half later they called me back to tell me that I wouldn't be hired for the position but they'll keep my application on file.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Nordstrom?   Answer Question
  • Have you worked a commission-based job before? How would you feel about working in commissioned sales?   Answer Question
  • How would you handle a situation with an angry customer?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you failed to achieve a goal that you set.   Answer Question

East Orange, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in October 2013.

Interview Details – Just had interview today. Should have looked on Glassdoor first!! Did not do well because did not have answers prepared for these questions. Lesson learned! Best bet is to have your "stories" prepared and ready to go! Good luck! I know a great place to work once you get in!

Interview Question –
Why do you want to work at Nordstrom's?
Tell me about a time you were compared to a coworker. How did it affect you?
Tell me about a time you dealt with an upset customer?
How do you feel about commissioned pay?

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you made a mistake and what did you do to fix it? What were the results?
Tell me about a time you were compared to a coworker. How did it affect you?
  Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in September 2012.

Interview Details – After a phone interview with a few basic questions about customer service, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. I was first interviewed by someone in HR with roughly 20 questions concerning my background and skills. After that I was told to wait for the department manager to come interview. This took about twenty minutes. I was then asked about 20 more behavioral questions such as what would you do in situation x?

Interview Question – There were multiple questions about competition between sales associates and since I had never worked on commission, I found this part of the interview a bit difficult.   Answer Question

Stonestown, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email a few days later asking for a phone interview. The phone interview went well, typical questions were asked plus some situational ones that lasted less than 10 minutes. I then was asked for a in-person interview, which also was easy, about 10 minutes long. I then had an interview with the department manager, which was also about 10 minutes.

Interview Question – "Name a time" questions   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2009.

Interview Details – READ AND REMEMBER....Dress trendy and SMILE and be bubbly, wear nothing too revealing and nothing too short. They will take you to a small room and sit you down. Do not ask to explain the question and answer them to the best of your ability. The questions are ridiculous and pointless but just be sharp and quick. They are basically trying to see if you absorb great judgment in situations.

Interview Question – What do you consider a flaw in a function?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Choose your department wisely, avoid At Home, BP clothing, hosiery, and Dresses. Best departments are mens anything, shoes, TBD, Via C, Studio, Collectors, and COSMETICS

Riverside, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process lasted a week but was pretty exhausting. I was referred to the hiring portal (as most Nordstrom employees are) and applied online, within 24 hours I was set up with a phone interview, and after my phone interview an in person interview was set up 48 hours later. My one on one interview lasted about 3 hours with which I was interviewed by HR and then interviewed by the assistant manager of the department I was applying for.

Interview Question – The most difficult question I dealt with in this interview was building an outfit and selling it to the assistant manager.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was needed. I was satisfied with my offer.

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interview over the phone. Then interview in person with HR- Department Manager- Store Manager

Interview Question – I cannot remember.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

Interviews for Top Jobs at Nordstrom

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 304 interview reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees and interview candidates.