Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2014

2.5

345 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in June 2011.

I applied for at least 10 jobs at Nordstrom and I never got an interview with them, I want to know What am I doing wrong? I filled out the whole application process online. They always send me an email telling me about the job that I apply and 2 days later an email telling me the whole interview process is going to star without me.

Interview Questions
  • Name a time when you had an upset customer and how you handle it?   Answer Question
  • If you are not meeting your metrics (sales goals) What would you do?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in August 2011.

Brief interview. I wasn't prepared so it did not go well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in December 2011.

Applied online next day recieved email to set up phone interview. If you do well on phone interview they will call you in for a 1:1 interview. Phone interview was with a hr manager she seemed nice and seemed liked she wanted to hire me over the phone so I thought I got it. Then went for the 1:1 interview and the hr didn't interview me, the shoe manager who didn't know nothing about me did the interview so I had to make a good impression again didn't go so well. Didn't receive an offer.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in May 2011.

The beginning process of a Nordstrom career is by making a profile online which contains everything a resume would and more. At the end of your profile you will answer a series of questions such as "if a co-worker steals your sale are you more likely to... a) run screaming and crying b) talk to you manager c) take it as a friendly challenge to work harder or d) talk to your co-worker about how it made you feel. (Something along those lines) This questionnaire is actually really important, since it is the "weeding process", depending on how you answer the questions it shows up to the person who is reviewing them as green, yellow, or red. The more reds the more likely you will be thrown out. If you are chosen after this weeding you will receive a call from Human Resources for a phone interview. This interview is a series of generic interview questions to get a feel for how you are and how well you are able to answer questions. If they liked what you had to say, at the end of the interview they will set up a date for you to come in and have a one on one interview with Human Resources, this is basically the same questions they asked you on the phone but more in depth. If you passed this interview they will ask you what departments you are interested in and which ones the currently have an opening in. If they happen to have one you want they will set up an interview for you with the department manager. This interview is a continuation of the interview with Human Resources but more of how you've dealt with certain situations and why you believe you can succeed as a sales associate. At the end of this interview the department manager will take you to the sales floor and show you around then ask you to pick a series of outfits for certain occasions and review them with you to get your sense of style. Within a week you should get a call back saying whether or not you got the job.

Tips: Show up wearing trendy professional clothing, something that represents Nordstrom. Nordstrom does have a minimum 3 piece rule for their employees so it's a good idea to show up to your interview wearing at least 3 key pieces. Also, it's good to now what trends are currently going on in the fashion world as well as who is on the cover of popular fashion magazines such as Vogue. Relax and have fun!

Interview Questions
    • You have a set goal amount and what do you do if you are not meeting this goal?   Answer Question
    Nordstrom has a base salary of $9.70 plus commission, they're theory is that you can make as much money you want based on how much you sell. So nothing is negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in June 2010.

First I applied online and filled out a very long winded survey. After answering all of those questions, I was granted a phone interview. After the phone interview they asked me to come in for a one on one interview. At the interview I did not know what departments they had available. I interviewed with a hiring manager one on one. A few days later I received a call for a second interview where I met with two managers of two different departments. I was given the option to choose either department, and I went with one. A couple of hours later, the department manager gave me a call and told me I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you assisted someone with excellent customer service.   View Answer
    • Name a time you had to work in a group.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation because they offer a small base salary and then everything is commissioned.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2010.

I applied online and got a call back a few days later to schedule an interview. I originally had an interview with an accessories manager, and I could honestly tell that she didn't like me during the interview. After I left, she called me that night and told me that she would forward my application over to another department which turned out to BP who I interviewed with a couple of days later. The manager who interviewed me there was really nice and bubbly and the interview lasted about 20 minutes. She called me the next day and offered me the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in May 2012.

Applied online and was emailed to schedule a phone interview the very next day. The lady on the phone seemed nice. The interview questions were a bit difficult for me (it was my first interview). Overall I thought I did okay. About a week and a half later they called me back to tell me that I wouldn't be hired for the position but they'll keep my application on file.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Nordstrom?   Answer Question
    • Have you worked a commission-based job before? How would you feel about working in commissioned sales?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a situation with an angry customer?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you failed to achieve a goal that you set.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in March 2008.

I was interviewing for a cosmetic sales position, so the department manager and vender managers were all present. I was ask questions be each person at the table and even ask to "sell" something. It was a bit stressful. At Nordstrom they are always looking for friendly, nice empoyees that are customer service driven and goal oriented.

Interview Questions
    at Nordstrom sales saleries are all the same; I was happy with the offer for management. It was a promotion and I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in February 2010.

I applied online for the Brass Plum department. I filled out the long survey then was contacted by HR by email to set up a phone interview. My interview was set for two days later. I then had the phone interview which lasted at most 5 minutes. The woman asked me a few questions about myself and previous sales experience. At then end of the interview I was invited in for a 1:1 interview the next day with the same woman from HR. This interview in person was much more in depth. Lots of questions about handling upset customers and asking about strengths and weaknesses. Also, lots of questions on being competitive and goal oriented. I was then introduced to the BP manager who asked me about my availability and took me on a tour of the stock room and the floor. She then explained commission rates and the average hourly pay in the department. Before we wrapped it up, she did one quick "selling exercise". She pretended she was a high school girl looking for a date outfit and I had to help her pick out an outfit and sell it to her. Very in depth process, but well worth it!

Interview Questions
    • What do you like about working on commission?   Answer Question
    • Describe an experience where you had to deal with an unhappy customer.   Answer Question
    • What has been your biggest professional achievement?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about working in a team environment?   View Answer
    • Would you consider yourself competitive?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. All based off commission.

Sales Associate Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in January 2009.

staff was very friendly. had a face to face interview with the HR manager and then briefly spoke with the store manager.

Interview Questions
    • How have you addressed a customer with a problem in the past?   Answer Question
    no negotiations were made, pay is commission based.