Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

2.5

329 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Honolulu, HI
Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online and went to the store the next day to personally hand in another copy of my resume. I think this helped me a lot because I got to meet with the department manager face-to-face, which is always a leg up (not being just a piece of paper). The process took about a week in total. I was called in for an interview several days later; there was a basic question interview followed by a performance review. I was called in again the next day to talk to the store manager, which included more conversational questions.

Interview Questions
  • They ask you to come up with several outfits based on a customer profile they invent for you on the spot.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Sales Associate Interview

Very basic retail interview system, asked about experiences and what I could bring to the store. Included many things about what would be expected of you and how you were going to be given the tools to achieve your goals.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a tree what kind of tree would you be and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2012.

A lot of simple retail oriented questions.
    Know how to learn to know what they want to hear
    Use basic commonsense
    How do you feel working on only commission?
    How competitive are you?
    Give me a time when....

There isn't any.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

First you go through a telephone interview - pretty simple questions about your work experience and why you want to work at Nordstrom. Once you go through that, they will set up a group interview after which you meet with the manager or assistant manager. You have to do a sales pitch. It's pretty basic and simple.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to pitch a sale of a shoe brand I was unfamiliar with, to a man.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, you get commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in September 2013.

Applied online and got a phone call to set up an in person interview. Met with HR to interview. Met with department manager same day. Received a phone call later on from department manager for a job offer and accepted. Started new hire orientation immediately.

Interview Questions
    • All Questions were based on retail experience. None of the questions were unexpected.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation, it is all commission unless you don't make your draw, then you receive minimum wage.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2014.

Just let them know that you thrive off of friendly competition, you love fashion and you've always wanted to work for and make nordstrom a career. They'll love you.

Commission only

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Nordstrom.

It was a phone interview followed by an interview with HR and then the department Manager. The questions are geared towards customer service and selling. You must be very available if you want to work full time.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with an unpleasant customer? And how did you satisfy the customers needs?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Applied online. Long questionnaire. One-on-one interview a week later with HR person. Then one week training with 2 other new hires. I got Women's Shoes with best commission in the store- 10%. Probably hardest job in the store though with all of the running around for indecisive women.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you want to leave your current job for this one?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2010.

I applied online for a retail position, but in no particular department. I received an e-mail within a few days to set up a phone interview within the week. The phone interview was with that stores HR Manager and about 15 minutes long consisting of generic retail questions - What is good customer service?, Why Nordstrom?, What do you like about retail? At the end of the call we set up a time to interview in person. I interviewed with the HR Manager at the Nordstrom I applied to. Very relaxed interview. a lot of the same type of questions: Best/Worst customer service experience? Do you follow fashion? What is your best/worst quality., Expand on your previous experience. At the end of that interview the HR Manager excused herself to see if the department manager was available (I was still not told at this time what department), she was not so we scheduled a second interview. At the second interview I met with the department manager, a lot of the same type of questions/getting to know you, and also a few regarding specifics to her department. I had previous experience with fitting suits, and outerwear so I was placed in Studio/Narrative and Coats (in season), though I did not apply for this specifically. During the interview the department manager did a role play exercise involving me trying to help/sell her a specific blouse. I honestly did terribly, but told her that I was a quick learn and would take and apply any sales advice. I left the interview not feeling exceptionally confident, but the department manager called me within several days offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Role playing exercise trying to sell specific products.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate. They offered me a high (for retail) base starting hourly salary because of my experience, and was told that it was expected that I would eventually be making more per hour with commission.

If your commission for the day figures out to be higher per hour than your base salary that will be your hourly salary for that day, if it lower then they use your base hourly salary - so you will never earn lower than your base salary per hour.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

The process begins with an online application, if approved there is a phone interview and possible a second phone interview, the next step after this is an in person meeting with a Human Resources Manager, and finally an interview with the Department Manager of whom you are applying for.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult customer issue you have had and how did you handle this?   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!